AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

23 minutes ago, decker_cky said:

They were 250 pts before, so it's a significant improvement reduction. They're actually incredibly resilient for their points compared to other monsters.

The place they'll probably shine is in slaanesh lists with the daemonsteel contingent with multiple soul grinders. +1 to hit and +1 save is ridiculously good value for 110 pts. 

I was actually quite sure GW dropped them already in the GHB to 210 😮

1 hour ago, firtahl said:

How is there not at least 1 mindstealer in every StD list? It seems like an amazing tool for just 100 points. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but ill be allying in 1 to all my eligible chaos factions.

I felt the same on first read, but the range on the attack last thing is pretty low. It basically needs to be in position to make a unit attack last on the turn before you need it. If it did its attack last thing at the start of the combat phase I'd run 3 every game. As is I plan to run 1 for the bravery debuff but don't expect it to force stuff to attack last very often. 

(1 is good since you can teleport it in range to make a unit attack last)

Edited by themortalgod

Hi guys ! 

I think i will go for something like that 

Host of the everchosen :

nurgle mark for everything 

1 archaon 800 pts 

1 chaos sorcerer lord 100 pts

1 daemon prince 210 pts sword of judgement

3×20 marauders 450 pts 

2×1 soul grinders 210×2 pts 

The idea is to tp a unit of 20 marauders with full reroll each turn or at least once in the game to weaken an enemy threat or eventually kill it. And the other units to take objectives and benefit from archaon abilities by my will. 

The soul grinders are a bit better than chaos warriors in close combat and i think benefit more from the Prince daemon command ability (actually what are their socle sizes ??) Since they should have a big socles so easier to engage a lot of models and suicide on them. And with a bit of luck can kill screens with their shooting weapons.

The daemon prince is here to kill monsters or annoying heroes with the judgement sword (actually does it stacks with the ability of his own sword?) 

And archaon well he is mostly here for his abilities (it's really hard to imagine his impact without playing him).

What do you think of it ?

1 hour ago, firtahl said:

How is there not at least 1 mindstealer in every StD list? It seems like an amazing tool for just 100 points. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but ill be allying in 1 to all my eligible chaos factions.

Short range and only in the hero phase is killing it for me. Usually when an enemy unit is that close in your hero phase it's already killed whatever it went in to get, so the fight last effect will typically just give you some flexibility in activation order. It has a potential combo with the khorne daemon prince  command ability leaving alpha strikers high and dry, and maybe it'll help when you have a chaos lord and need to double activate before the enemy can fight, but otherwise I don't think the ability will do much. 

A

2 hours ago, Rod said:

Archaon 800

2 xChaos knights - 360

2 xChaos Knights  -360

1 x Varanguard  - 300

Chaos Lord Sorceror 110

mark of slanesh or khorne

A sigil (endless spell) in this list would be boss and can be slotted right in.  (40 points)

2 hours ago, Charleston said:

All in all neither better nor worse than before. Points stayed at 210, Profile stayed the same which is a pitty as hitting on 4+ is really bad. Hellforged Claw has been simplyfied and nerfed, from dice game and 6 fixed mortals it now triggers on a 6 to hit and generates D6 Mortals while interrupting the wounding procedure. This would be quite a nerf, but the despoilers add some heal and the Aura Abilities can be usefull, too. So in the end slightly change but no huge drama here, as the claw was never really a reliable rule anyway. The ammount of support that is now possible comes up for this quite well.

Soul Grinders were 250 previously. A soul grinder with demonic power is a VERY strong piece I think! But the fact that it "requires" a spell to be competetive speaks to the warscroll as you pointed out. Also everything is great with demonic power LOL! In a nurgle army, they can be particularly fun as they can move, run, shoot, and charge in the same turn! +1 to wound on the cycles stage two!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Archaon 800

2 xChaos knights - 360

2 xChaos Knights  -360

1 x Varanguard  - 300

Chaos Lord Sorceror 110

Maybe I'go with only one "2 xChaos knights - 360" and one "1 xChaos knights - 180" and replace the sorceror with a sorceror on manticore or a gaunt sumoner on disc. this way, you hit harder and get more mobility. the key of this list I think is the ultra mobility with each unit suffice to itself and hit hard. The main problem will be screening and/or objectives (so few units/miniatures)

what im currently thinking

I didnt know what to spend the final 250 on so i went with 2 corgis and a command point to go on a flank

Damon Prince

Mark oh khorne

Paragon of ruin 

ethereal amulate

chaod lord 

Be Lakor

chaos sorceror on manticore

15 warriors

5 knights 

5 knights 

slaughterbrute 

mindbender Sphiranx 

2 khorgorath 

command point 

thoughts?

6 hours ago, firtahl said:

The ability activates in hero phase. It's extremely easy to avoid, don't poisition your stuff 12" of it and you're done.

Sure, you can use it as deterrence for the next turn, but in my experience things that you want to make fight last usually hit so hard there is no next turn.

4 hours ago, Smooth criminal said:

The ability activates in hero phase. It's extremely easy to avoid, don't poisition your stuff 12" of it and you're done.

Sure, you can use it as deterrence for the next turn, but in my experience things that you want to make fight last usually hit so hard there is no next turn.

I definitely didn't catch the hero phase activation, which I agree makes it much less attractive. I don't think I agree that a 12" bubble is so easily avoided, especially in the hyper alpha strike meta for most armies outside of something like OBR. Even if its focused down, that's attacks spent stopping it rather than the truly important units. +5 saves don't make it much of an attack sponge, but maybe the low save will entice people to make the wrong choice because its easy and go for it over better targets.

For me the 10" move, 10 wounds, and large fight last bubble (even if its hero phase activation make it more reactive than proactive) make it a steal at 100 pts given that a lot of armies will try to t1 charge as things get more competitive. Its utility is even more pronounced if you go first since the effect is until the end of the battle round rather than player turn. Definitely not a game changing unit, but I don't expect a 100 pt model to be what makes or breaks a game. It just seems like its hard to go wrong adding 1 to a lot of factions.  I guess we wont know for sure until its released and people get to try it out.

A question.

Regarding  Endless Spell, Eightfold Doom Sigil, it says that at the end of the turn, the player whose turn is taking place select a STD unit, adding +1 attack until that player´s next hero phase.....

So in case of double turn, this has no effect ?? as that player´s next hero phase would start right after the end of that turn.....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kyyn said:

A question.

Regarding  Endless Spell, Eightfold Doom Sigil, it says that at the end of the turn, the player whose turn is taking place select a STD unit, adding +1 attack until that player´s next hero phase.....

So in case of double turn, this has no effect ?? as that player´s next hero phase would start right after the end of that turn.....

I'm pretty sure you would, as a double turn isn't one long turn, it's two consecutive turns. So after you roll off (or you have Archaon and reveal who goes next), and you get the double turn, it activites the effect.

16 minutes ago, Kyyn said:

A question.

Your opponent must buff your models.

So if your opponent kills models and rolls 3+s  they have to buff your units. Meaning if you are next you get buffs or if you get a double turn you have 2 turns of bonus attacks.

31 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

Your opponent must buff your models.

So if your opponent kills models and rolls 3+s  they have to buff your units. Meaning if you are next you get buffs or if you get a double turn you have 2 turns of bonus attacks.

Or his own STD unit if he has one within range :P

• Thanks 1

If Archaon benefits from other hero's basic aura of chaos, what do we think is the best hero to have as a pocket aura for Archie? I figure it might be the chaos lord on daemonic mount for it's cheaper cost and high movement, but figured it was worth asking.

I plan to run a primarily nurgle legion for Archaon but want to make sure he gets the aura of slaanesh so his 6s explode, FWIW.

Wait, are shrine's available prayers not dependent on marks?

So you technically can have you Khorne marked shrine buff a Nurgle unit with a Undivided prayer (full reroll). Sure, you won't get second bonus, but who cares when Undivided is already full reroll and Tzeentch one is reroll saves, that's all you need really.

4 minutes ago, Smooth criminal said:

So you technically can have you Khorne marked shrine buff a Nurgle unit with a Undivided prayer (full reroll). Sure, you won't get second bonus, but who cares when Undivided is already full reroll and Tzeentch one is reroll saves, that's all you need really.

Correct.  The wording has changed, and unless it’s FAQd, then the Warshrine can cast any buff it wants, regardless of its personal mark 

1 hour ago, Smooth criminal said:

200.gif

Its really nice because if demonic power fails to cast like it did in my last game, I can just use the undivided prayer. Usually Ill be casting the nurgle prayer for +1 save but having a backup demonic power is nice. The only one I can see being less then idea praying towards a differently marked unit is khorne for re-roll charges. 

The warshrine also got a HUGE increase to killing power. +1 damage, got rend of -1 and +1 to hit and wound!!  It WAS 4 attacks 4/4/-/1 and now is 4 attacks 3/3/-1/2!!!  I have always been aggressive with my warshrine. I have it up front charging, blocking off area and avenues, target saturation. Its a huge base and I use it to block certain types of troops from piling into my marauders. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaCapo said:

I have a question if you pay the battalion of the different gods do you get 2 allegiance abilities or do you have to choose between the STD or the one of the god in question ? 

The same as normal you choice your allegiance when you start building your list. So to answer your question you would get one allegiance and your battleline, and battle traits would be decided by that allegiance. It's just a dual faction warscroll, so can be used in both factions.