AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

5 minutes ago, smartazjb0y said:

Very much not liking the Warshrine changes as someone who runs a bunch of StD in my Khorne army

Why? Khorne doesn't have that much ranged weaponry so what changed for you? Even Warshrine's own attacks are better. Do you mean the changes to Protection of the Dark Gods ability? Or that its boons doesn't work on non-S2D Khorne units? 

2 minutes ago, michu said:

Why? Khorne doesn't have that much ranged weaponry so what changed for you? Even Warshrine's own attacks are better. Do you mean the changes to Protection of the Dark Gods ability? Or that its boons doesn't work on non-S2D Khorne units? 

Yeah the Protection and Favours only work on STD mortals now, no non-STD units which is a bummer. 

Edited by smartazjb0y

Alright I‘ve tumbled through all of the warscrolls.

Without counting in Battalions and Allegiance Abilities no Warscroll looks  really strong apart from the gaunt summoner. 
I am a bit confused especially about the weapon damag values : The best weapon overall always seems to be the ensorcelled weapon with 3+,3+,-1,1 all the other weapon options lose too many attacks, hit too badly and or are conditional. Every 2+ dmg weapon loses at least one rend (most are rend zero) - surprising especially since it seems fine for Orcs to be 2+,2+,-1, +1 damage for entire hordes...

So far the Warscrolls are a bit too tame and the new Krakadrak Chaos Lord made me go „Meh?“, Knights and Varanguard made me go „meh“ very hard...I expected more reliable punch.

However there were some nice changes to the Slaughterbrute, the Mutslith changebeast and marauders. I haven‘t had a look at the chariots since I am personally not interested in them.

the whole army has several ways to grant +1 to wound, hit, +1–3 to charges and Rerolls to armour saves and all hits and wounds, yet it lacks in damage and rend.

it has mortal wound shrugs of 5+ on most units.

summarized weaknesses according ONLY to the warscrolls: A lack of High damage attacks (2+ Dmg) weakness to rend, almost no access to good rend (2+). No Warscroll feels really strong. Too many units can grant similar buffs which makes some abilities redundant (a lot of +1 to hit and wound and rerolls).

summarized strengths: A high volume of attacks with substantial buffs to hit and wound. (+1 mostly but most stats are 3+, 3+ anyway), high armor, mortal wound resistance.

Sidenote: The Warcry warbands haven‘t changed afaik

I am now very interested in what additional rules the Allegiance Abilities will add!

2 hours ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed with that because the model looks amazing and short of him being utter garbage I plan on using in most of my lists.

If you go to the ge site and change to new Zealand the lords stats are downloadable he's a monster.  He boost chariots (meh) gorebeasts (😁) and knights.  Add 1 to charge rolls and to hit!

Well I think the lord is good but I'm used to the chieftain and the warqueen.....

Edited by Reqent
Add

3 minutes ago, Reqent said:

If you go to the ge site and change to new Zealand the lords stats are downloadable he's a monster.  He boost chariots (meh) gorebeasts (😁) and knights.  Add 1 to charge rolls and to hit!

Well I think the lord is good but I'm used to the chieftain and the warqueen.....

Yup saw that warscroll and am happy!

10 minutes ago, Reqent said:

Yeah and its reroll charges not add one I got carried away.  But I have 3 gorebeasts and that will help activate explosive brutality.  

Nope. It‘s unmodified charge rolls for that Gorebeast chariot.

the same issue can be seen across all warscrolls: you can buff or selfbuff a stat that would trigger an ability but it‘s no use due to „unmodified rolls“

Edit: nvm I failed to read your post correctly (tired eyes) ^^

Edited by JackStreicher

15 minutes ago, Reqent said:

Hi command ability is identical to the bog standard Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount.  I thought that was disappointing, I expected one with a bit more punch for their new flagship hero.

The Warqueen is quite good now, especially if you run Marauders (+3 charge) and the unit you are charging has a low-wound hero giving buffs (hello Fyreslayers!).  With her always strikes first, 6 attacks and +1 dmg vs heroes she could be quite the nuisance.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Syrex said:

The marauder warscroll looks amazing. They got a huge boost, and a guaranteed minimum charge of 7" (can be boosted to 10" via a command ability)

Auto +1 to hit now, (if more than 10, and to be honest, if they are less than 10 they are on the verge of dying/running away anyway).  Very nice for a Nurgle army!

Just now, TheVenerableBede said:

Hi command ability is identical to the bog standard Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount.  I thought that was disappointing, I expected one with a bit more punch for their new flagship hero.

Yeah, I refuse to work with resin so it's new for me.   I started the army right around malign portents but only built up to a 1000 points.  So for me it's very exciting but I can understand why long time players would be less than impressed.

2 minutes ago, Reqent said:

Yeah, I refuse to work with resin so it's new for me.   I started the army right around malign portents but only built up to a 1000 points.  So for me it's very exciting but I can understand why long time players would be less than impressed.

Mine's just a converted Chaos Knight with a Warhammer and a bit more bling 😀

8 minutes ago, Benkei said:

So Orcs are better warriors than fighters chosen by the gods. Chaos mortal players get shafted again 

Orcs is da biggest an' strongest, they said so themselves 🙂

It's possible that allegiance abilities will beef up the output on the warscrolls. we just need to wait and see.  But first impressions are we got the Maggotkin / Beasts of Chaos / Sylvaneth / Nighthaunt rules writers, and not the FEC / Slaanesh / Skaven / Fyreslayers ones.

All I see is all the units that needed changes getting none, Chosen are a joke, Warriors are a joke, Knights are a joke. I don't see allegiance abilities being so huge as to balance those war scrolls, and I find it very sad that the flagship models of the battletome are so underwhelming.  Would it kill the game giving the ****** champions of the dark gods Damage 2 or some Rend so they hit harder than a Gor? no, just spam a bazillion Marauders ftw here

Edited by Benkei
  • Like 2

The endless spells are also quite tame.  At least, none really stood out for me. However, if they are 40pts or less each, they might be worth considering.

6 minutes ago, Benkei said:

All I see is all the units that needed changes getting none, Chosen are a joke, Warriors are a joke, Knights are a joke. I don't see allegiance abilities being so huge as to balance those war scrolls, and I find it very sad that the flagship models of the battletome are so underwhelming.  Would it kill the game giving the ****** champions of the dark gods Damage 2 or some Rend so they hit harder than a Gor? no, just spam a bazillion Marauders ftw here

Warriors are better than they were, but not really good value at 100 for 5. To make best use of them you'd need to run at least 10 in a unit, to get the rerolling saves.  200pts for 20 attacks, 3s, 3s, -, 1d ... not really all that scary.

I am quite divided (*badum-tss*) about the changes.

There are some clear winners: The new Lord on Krakablabub is a machine. Archaon has an ability for everything. Daemon Princes are mad a*f*

There are some units that receives minor buffs that still are good to see. Chaos Warriors having a 3+/3+ which can be buffed is neat. Also full "to hit" reroll is great. Knights are now a solid unit with enscrolled weapons due to rend.

There were some units broadly unchanged beside minor alignments. Marauders seem to fit here. Also Sorcerer, Soul Grinder, Slaugtherbrutes etc.

The Endless Spells are fine to me. The spikes beeing an offensive wall is cool, also the flamespitter beeing empowered by magic is sick and allows some neat bad combos with that magical legion.

The only thing I really find disturbing are the Varanguard. Like...etf? No buff but announced price hike? A shame as I concidered 3 as a Spearhead for my Knights~