AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Man I just don’t know what I would want more. It seems that the Ravangers ability is the stronger one for just basic chaos warriors, which is exactly what I would want. I wonder how impactful the command traits would be... crud, this could push me towards making that four gods chaos pirate army, with each captain representing a different mark of chaos...

also, time for this elf player to steal the 1,000th reply for this thread! Mwahahahahaha!

9 hours ago, Frowny said:

Can someone post a translation of the new chaos Lord on demonic mount from the Spanish image? People keep referencing it but I can't quite make it out and my spanish isn't that great... ,🙃

We only have the one on foot on the Image ;)
From what the internet says:
Weapons: Chaos Sword gains now Rend -1. Added a new Flail Profile (6x 2" 4+/4+ Rend: -2 Damage: 1) that can be used in alternative to the Reaperblade. Both, Reaperblade and Flail, cause Mortals on a 6+ to hit(propably unmodified). Mark of Chaos: Slight change as Unmarked is a Mark for its own now. CA: As mentioned: Single unit within range may fight twice.

Changing into Spawn/DP is gone. Reaperblade 2W6 Damage Ability is gone. Mark of Chaos Auras that were inherited into the Lord once are gone, propably shifted into the Alligience Ability.

Edited by Charleston

AUSTRALIAN PRICES FOR THE NEW STUFF:

Start Collecting Slaves to Darkness AU$165

Slaves to Darkness: Corvus Cabal AU$110

Slaves to Darkness: Cypher Lords AU$110

Slaves to Darkness: Iron Golem AU$110

Slaves to Darkness: The Splinterd Fang AU$110

Slaves to Darkness: The Unmade AU$110

Slaves to Darkness: Untamed Beasts AU$110

B/TOME: Slaves to Darkness (HB) AU$70

Warscroll Cards: Slaves To Darkness AU$40

Age of SIgmar: Azaryte Shattered Plaza AU$125

Age of Sigmar: Azyrite Ruined Chapel AU$98

Endless Spells: Slaves to Darkness AU$60

• Like 1

As there is a beastman in the spire tyrants it seems that they will at minimum be allies. With all the options inherently available already I don't see much reason for them to be more integrated than that, although they might need to be for auras etc to effect them.

3 hours ago, Charleston said:

We only have the one on foot on the Image ;)
From what the internet says:
Weapons: Chaos Sword gains now Rend -1. Added a new Flail Profile (6x 2" 4+/4+ Rend: -2 Damage: 1) that can be used in alternative to the Reaperblade. Both, Reaperblade and Flail, cause Mortals on a 6+ to hit(propably unmodified). Mark of Chaos: Slight change as Unmarked is a Mark for its own now. CA: As mentioned: Single unit within range may fight twice.

Changing into Spawn/DP is gone. Reaperblade 2W6 Damage Ability is gone. Mark of Chaos Auras that were inherited into the Lord once are gone, propably shifted into the Alligience Ability.

That CA seem's quite fun on Archaon O_o

3 hours ago, kore5022 said:

That CA seem's quite fun on Archaon O_o

I am just staunchly against anything messing with the sanctity of the priority roll. There should be a few pillars of the game that are untouchable and the priority roll is one of them, IMO. 

Excited Marauders aren't going. Since I run a very STD heavy nurgle army, I'm anxious to see how the changes effect my army.  I'm also hopeful the soul grinder is usable again.  REALLY hoping warshrines have some boss abilities. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Excited Marauders aren't going. Since I run a very STD heavy nurgle army, I'm anxious to see how the changes effect my army.  I'm also hopeful the soul grinder is usable again.  REALLY hoping warshrines have some boss abilities. 

Good news, they mention the Soul Grinder specifically in the Community post! Looks like we'll be able to use them as part of StD, which is fantastic!

Edited by Thalassic Monstrosity
Giant ape fingers hit wrong keys
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I am just staunchly against anything messing with the sanctity of the priority roll. There should be a few pillars of the game that are untouchable and the priority roll is one of them, IMO. 

He was referring to the Lord of Chaos CA, which could allow Archaon to fight twice in a turn. Yet we do not know if this is possible, as we lack the full rule set. It could be, that Archaon *has* to be the general when used, and this CA could be limited to only be used when the LoC is General. We have to wait until the rules drop :)

Well, the priority roll is the most discussed rule in the whole game right now. I understand people are afraid to mess with it, yet the CA of Archaon shouldn´t be an issue as it is tied to a CP cost, still has a randomness factor and requires Archaon to be your general, a model worth of several hundered of points. Also, all the rules grants, is knowledge about who may go first in the next battle round. You still have the odd that your enemy get that DT you wanted. Or that there won´t be a DT at all. There are other mechanics I see rather as a bad influence of the game, for example the uncounterble deny of ressources within GA Death with Kurdos and Katakross which can by design cripple whole armies that depend on their CP´s.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Good news, they mention the Soul Grinder specifically in the Community post! Looks like we'll be able to use them as part of StD, which is fantastic!

Yup I was happy to see that for sure! When I said usable.. I didn't mean ability to put on the table. I really meant competitively viable. I have far lower hopes for that haha. I love the model, have one exquisitely painted that sits in my case at home most of the time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Yup I was happy to see that for sure! When I said usable.. I didn't mean ability to put on the table. I really meant competitively viable. I have far lower hopes for that haha. I love the model, have one exquisitely painted that sits in my case at home most of the time. 

I get you. I hope the same for several other entries, like the slaughterbrute, the mutalith, the chaos gargant, etc... I think that if we look at the recent releases (ogors, OBR, ...) GW did a relatively nice job making most of the units payable. Some are just a bit above the others but rarely super OP. So, I hope the same for the StD. (But I don't care about the Soul Grinder because I just hate the miniature lol. It doesn't really fit  Fantasy nore 40K...Well, just my taste...;-) )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charleston said:

He was referring to the Lord of Chaos CA, which could allow Archaon to fight twice in a turn. Yet we do not know if this is possible, as we lack the full rule set. It could be, that Archaon *has* to be the general when used, and this CA could be limited to only be used when the LoC is General. We have to wait until the rules drop :)

Well, the priority roll is the most discussed rule in the whole game right now. I understand people are afraid to mess with it, yet the CA of Archaon shouldn´t be an issue as it is tied to a CP cost, still has a randomness factor and requires Archaon to be your general, a model worth of several hundered of points. Also, all the rules grants, is knowledge about who may go first in the next battle round. You still have the odd that your enemy get that DT you wanted. Or that there won´t be a DT at all. There are other mechanics I see rather as a bad influence of the game, for example the uncounterble deny of ressources within GA Death with Kurdos and Katakross which can by design cripple whole armies that depend on their CP´s.

I agree with the items you state about the Double Turn and our new inherent rule.  I think though it will be super powerful.  It will dictate (assuming you are currently playing the top of the round) whether or not you become aggressive and push towards key objectives/choke points, or knowing you’ll be second, turn more towards defensive turtling.

It would impact the spells you cast (do I really need Mystic Shield on this unit that won’t be in combat this or next turn??  Can I Arcane Blast instead?!), which units run as they’re potentially out of range this turn but def not next turn, and which units get teleported for key end game secondary objectives (line breaker).  

Definitely more ways to utilize this ability, but these are just a few ways of how it will allow us to change our tactics.  I don’t believe it is game breaking, but it does give a great advantage.  We will see soon how much of an advantage it is meant to deal once we see the whole book fleshed out.  Give this knowledge to a 3 Keeper Slaanesh army, and this rule is bonkers.  We might be different.

We also have to remember that smart opponents will quickly figure out if we have the priority based on our actions as well.  It will give them the ability to start pre-planning their potential turn more confidently.

• Like 2

It certainly is powerful but doesn't worry me too much overall. Afterall, it is tied to having archeon as your general, who is himself many hundred points. In addition to being a character fitting of such an ability, since it is tied to him, even if it comes out too strong, it would be easy to just increase his cost a little bit over time to even it out, unlike say petrifex where it dominates other choices.

It's also obvious already that many of the other abilities are very strong, so it comes at significant opportunity cost. It also remains to be seen how easy cps are for slaves. If they are as easy as in gloomspite, it could be a problem, but many armies only get 1 per turn meaning you can never fight twice with the Lord of chaos and you can never use the awesome command ability archeon almost certainly has on his warscrolls (and you are paying tons of points for).

7 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

GW does not care about such things and they'll continue to break it and therefor break the game (slaanesh with their massive change of the combat priority)

Honestly im not so worried about this priority roll. Since its tied to archaon himself. I like it as a tactical think and it fits his lore pretty well. As stated before im more worried about army wide buffs or that the army only get 1 good build that overshadows every other attempt.  I hope the slaughterbrute and warcry warbands are decent enough to see the playfield

I did. The Twitch stream was extremely unhelpful, it mostly consisted of them recounting what's in the Community article and then them telling us it's going to be reeelly reelly cool but we did learn that Daemon Princes get the Slaanesh fight first thing innately. I had to go to work and missed most of the battle rep but I know STD lost against a Bonesplitters army that included 2 rogue idols, that the Nurgle aura is a flat +1 damage which is wild, and Chaos Knights are +3/+3/-1 now

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Poryague said:

Chaos sorcerer daemonic empowerment now rerolls hit and wound rolls. Varangaurd can take marks now like chaos warriors.

OMG, finally... bought the Varanguard years ago to field them with my Tzeentch army. goooooood!