AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Leaks usually come with the preorder as the content creators get then to release their content. Previews are running this weeks.

A thing I tought about, ist that maybe GW will restructure Battlelines for StD. I belive all Cultist-Units will be unconditional Chaos Battlelines. Meanwhile I also belive that Knights and Chariots will either loose Battleline-Status, or may become conditional Battleline, beeing tied to a certain Warlord. I couldn´t imagine GW to change Warriors, therefore I am quite trustworthy that they will remain unconditional battlelines, too.

I also like the fact that GW mentions damned legions in the video, which means some "tribes"-rules as other factions get.

Havin Chosen to stay around is something I´d rather not expected, but actually I am fine with it. This opens up some small odds for a plastic kit at a later point.

Edit: My Bets on Units:

Heroes:

• Archaon -> Profile reworked, will get some new focus in the Lore again
  • Lord of Chaos -> confirmed to stay and new profile with flail and the new CA is already known. Great thing
  • Lord of Chaos on Manticore ->I would bet on a manticore upgrade, paired with a new CA
  • Lord of Chaos on daemonic Mount ->I belive this one will be gone and replaced by the new one
  • Lord of Chaos on Karkadrak ->Announced to come and to have some charge sheningans
  • Sorcerer Lord -> Will stay as our main Wizzard and also a valid plastic kit. Finaly having our own Spell Lore makes them great. I hope their custom spell remains, althrough I am not sure for the Foresight-Reroll-Rule.
  • Sorcerer Lord on Manticore  ->Also Upgrades to Mount here.
    • In general I belive we will get a tribe with a wizzard focus so we can upgrade our Sorcerer to T2
  • Sorcerer Lord on Horse -> Will most propably be cut as there is no sculpt yet. May also get a new Sculpts which can be assembled into a Lord on daemonic Mount, which is rather less likely.
  • Darkoath Warqueen ->I could imagine some minor buff
  • Darkoath Warchief ->Really requires some rework as the whole "Heroslayer" concept doesn´t work out great
  • Gaunt Summoner -> I highly belive he will be included as T2 wizzard with his own Spell Lore. Summoning will be propably cut away.
  • Daemon Prince -> I see him to get some new Ability. Maybe the old Battalion of 4 DP´s will have a comeback.
  • Exalted Hero of Chaos -> My bet is that he will disappear in silence.

Battlelines:

• Knights -> I expect some buffs. Aligning the Charge Bonus to -2 Rend and 2 Damage as in CoS is quite possible. I hope they keep their Shield against MW´s. May become a conditional battleline, tied to the new hero. May stay unchanged.
  • Warriors -> I see the Halberd and Greatblade go, having two Handweapons beeing changed somehow. I hope shields stay awesome. Will for sure stay unconditional battlelines.
  • Chariots -> I belive if Knights change to conditional Battlelines, Chariots will do so, too. Maybe they will give some minor upgrade to Chariots, althrough the Unit is actually fine.
  • Gorebeast Chariots -> Here I could imagine GW to attempt some changes. A streamline of the charge ability is possible. I belive they are at risk of loosing battleline status.
  • Corvus Cabal -> May get some minor buff to make them on pair with the other tribes. Either unconditional Battleline, or Battleline with Darkoath Warlord.
  • Unmade -> May stay the way they are. Either unconditional Battleline, or Battleline with Darkoath Warlord.
  • Untamed Beasts -> Will propably stay the same. A better meele Profile for the beast would´ve been awesome. Either unconditional Battleline, or Battleline with Darkoath Warlord.
  • Iron Golem ->I also do not see much changes here, maybe the Ogor to punch with a new profile. Either unconditional Battleline, or Battleline with Darkoath Warlord.
  • Cypher Lords -> Rather unchanged. Either unconditional Battleline, or Battleline with Darkoath Warlord.
  • Splintered Fang -> Are actually a quite a badass unit right now so I rather do not see changes here. Maybe heal 1 serpent for each single serpent caller in the unit, but thats it. Either unconditional Battleline, or Battleline with Darkoath Warlord.
  • Spire Tyrants ->Either unconditional Battleline, or Battleline with Darkoath Warlord. Profile still has to be revealed
  • Flame Cabal Thingy -> Maybe we will get them revealed this weekend as I really hope that the Tome will have all new Warscrolls inside.
  • Varanguard -> Propably stay Battleline with Archaon as General. I see some major rework to the profile incoming.
  • Marauders -> See them axed and replaced by cultists
  • Marauders on Horses -> The weird one, as I actually see GW to keep them around.
  • Belakor -> Propably will be stomped ito beeing a DP kit only, having the Warscroll beeing dropped from the App and Store. A big comeback, as awesome as it would be, seems rather unlikely. Althrough he IS the only named Character Chaos offers beside of Archaon right now.
  • Slambo -> I see a cut here.

Units:

• Chosen -> Are indirectly confirmed to stay around. I could see them to have some changes to their Aura and price.
  • Chaos Warshrine -> Out only Priest will have a good time I belive. The custom Prayer may be upgraded and I belive there will be quite a lot of prayers to choose from. Either 6 unaligned or maybe even 1-3 per god. Maybe a buff to the meele capability
  • Chaotic Beasts (Furies and Raptoryx)-> Will be included but I rather don´t belive them to get any love. Furies are quite usefull for the objective game right now but Raptoryx have to compete against Corvus Cabal for the spot of cheap chaff.
  • Chaos Warhounds -> May be included. Would be rather a suprise as they are well placed within BoC.

Monsters:

• Slaughterbrutes ->Will be included. I wish they would rework the Profile for them. At least the Mortal Wound rule as it is requires a rework as it is badly worded. I belive they may get an additional Mark of Khorne now if desired.
  • Mutalith Vortex Beasts->Same as Slaughterbrutes. May have a rework and will get the option to get the Tzeentch Keyword.
  • Chimera ->May be included as through Warcry. I do not see a rework of the Warscroll as likely here.
  • Jabberslythe ->I belive we won´t get them.
  • Soul Grinder -> The big unknown one. I wouldn´t wonder if GW cuts them from AoS, althrough I also really can imagine them to add the Soul Grinder into the army and to keep it to pick one of the Marks of Chaos. Althrough I rather doubt a rework of the scroll beside the claw ability, which is one of the last "silly" AoS 0.1 Rules leftover as Nagashs Grip was.
  • Chaos Gargants -> Possible. They are still listed to exist under GA Chaos in the Shop and I would wonder why GW would keep them there if there is no tome to use them. The kit is around so free cashgrab for gw and a nice unit for us players.
  • Coackatrice -> Hopefully stays a BoC Unit~ I dislike the Kit and see no overlap here
  • Catshpinx-> Will come, hopefully the Warscroll is in the Tome
  • Ogroid Brute Thing ->as Catsphinx
  • Formoid Crusher -> See the two above.

Allies:
My bets go on Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch and Slaanesh, as also Beasts of Chaos. Skaven is the only thing that seems weird as they do not follow directly the Pantheon of the Chaos Gods.

Edited by Charleston

4 hours ago, Spears said:

Purely on theme rather than rules are people envisaging using one type of warcry warband in their armies or embracing the undivided aspect and fielding a mash up of several.

I like a few of them so definitely gonna go the varied route and having a mashup. They're all pretty different and unique and I actually like that in an army 

Got 9 of 15 Varanguard finished (a project I started before the announcement). It's going to be close, but it'll be awesome (and fitting) if I can field my Archaon and all-Varanguard list on the date the book drops.......

WE'RE BAAAAAAACK!!!!

Edited by annarborhawk
  • Thanks 1

Wow! this is 5 boxes and a bunch of points for sure (1300 in the state of StD). So, you are just 1960pts with big daddy. If the varanguards go up by 10pts, you're f*cked. lol

I'm also in love with varanguards. I just picked up my first unit waiting for the rules and synergies to eventually get a second pack. One of my ideas/hope is to make a alll-mounted/cavalry army.

- varanguards (1 or 2 units)

- knights (probably MSU)

- chariots

With some HQ: manticores, the new chaos mounted guy, even the (superb) warshrine.

I'm sad that we won't have the mammoth, but I really hope we got the chaos giant, the slaughterbrute and eventually the mutalith (but I think that this one will be in the upcoming disciple of tzeentch)

Edited by GeneralZero

2 hours ago, Charleston said:

Leaks usually come with the preorder as the content creators get then to release their content. Previews are running this weeks.

A thing I tought about, ist that maybe GW will restructure Battlelines for StD. I belive all Cultist-Units will be unconditional Chaos Battlelines. Meanwhile I also belive that Knights and Chariots will either loose Battleline-Status, or may become conditional Battleline, beeing tied to a certain Warlord. I couldn´t imagine GW to change Warriors, therefore I am quite trustworthy that they will remain unconditional battlelines, too.

I also like the fact that GW mentions damned legions in the video, which means some "tribes"-rules as other factions get.

Havin Chosen to stay around is something I´d rather not expected, but actually I am fine with it. This opens up some small odds for a plastic kit at a later point.

Edit: My Bets on Units:

Heroes:

• Archaon -> Profile reworked, will get some new focus in the Lore again
  • Lord of Chaos -> confirmed to stay and new profile with flail and the new CA is already known. Great thing
  • Lord of Chaos on Manticore ->I would bet on a manticore upgrade, paired with a new CA
  • Lord of Chaos on daemonic Mount ->I belive this one will be gone and replaced by the new one
  • Lord of Chaos on Karkadrak ->Announced to come and to have some charge sheningans
  • Sorcerer Lord -> Will stay as our main Wizzard and also a valid plastic kit. Finaly having our own Spell Lore makes them great. I hope their custom spell remains, althrough I am not sure for the Foresight-Reroll-Rule.
  • Sorcerer Lord on Manticore  ->Also Upgrades to Mount here.
    • In general I belive we will get a tribe with a wizzard focus so we can upgrade our Sorcerer to T2
  • Sorcerer Lord on Horse -> Will most propably be cut as there is no sculpt yet. May also get a new Sculpts which can be assembled into a Lord on daemonic Mount, which is rather less likely.
  • Darkoath Warqueen ->I could imagine some minor buff
  • Darkoath Warchief ->Really requires some rework as the whole "Heroslayer" concept doesn´t work out great
  • Gaunt Summoner -> I highly belive he will be included as T2 wizzard with his own Spell Lore. Summoning will be propably cut away.
  • Daemon Prince -> I see him to get some new Ability. Maybe the old Battalion of 4 DP´s will have a comeback.
  • Exalted Hero of Chaos -> My bet is that he will disappear in silence.

Battlelines:

• Knights -> I expect some buffs. Aligning the Charge Bonus to -2 Rend and 2 Damage as in CoS is quite possible. I hope they keep their Shield against MW´s. May become a conditional battleline, tied to the new hero. May stay unchanged.
  • Warriors -> I see the Halberd and Greatblade go, having two Handweapons beeing changed somehow. I hope shields stay awesome. Will for sure stay unconditional battlelines.
  • Chariots -> I belive if Knights change to conditional Battlelines, Chariots will do so, too. Maybe they will give some minor upgrade to Chariots, althrough the Unit is actually fine.
  • Gorebeast Chariots -> Here I could imagine GW to attempt some changes. A streamline of the charge ability is possible. I belive they are at risk of loosing battleline status.
  • Corvus Cabal -> May get some minor buff to make them on pair with the other tribes. Either unconditional Battleline, or Battleline with Darkoath Warlord.
  • Unmade -> May stay the way they are. Either unconditional Battleline, or Battleline with Darkoath Warlord.
  • Untamed Beasts -> Will propably stay the same. A better meele Profile for the beast would´ve been awesome. Either unconditional Battleline, or Battleline with Darkoath Warlord.
  • Iron Golem ->I also do not see much changes here, maybe the Ogor to punch with a new profile. Either unconditional Battleline, or Battleline with Darkoath Warlord.
  • Cypher Lords -> Rather unchanged. Either unconditional Battleline, or Battleline with Darkoath Warlord.
  • Splintered Fang -> Are actually a quite a badass unit right now so I rather do not see changes here. Maybe heal 1 serpent for each single serpent caller in the unit, but thats it. Either unconditional Battleline, or Battleline with Darkoath Warlord.
  • Spire Tyrants ->Either unconditional Battleline, or Battleline with Darkoath Warlord. Profile still has to be revealed
  • Flame Cabal Thingy -> Maybe we will get them revealed this weekend as I really hope that the Tome will have all new Warscrolls inside.
  • Varanguard -> Propably stay Battleline with Archaon as General. I see some major rework to the profile incoming.
  • Marauders -> See them axed and replaced by cultists
  • Marauders on Horses -> The weird one, as I actually see GW to keep them around.
  • Belakor -> Propably will be stomped ito beeing a DP kit only, having the Warscroll beeing dropped from the App and Store. A big comeback, as awesome as it would be, seems rather unlikely. Althrough he IS the only named Character Chaos offers beside of Archaon right now.
  • Slambo -> I see a cut here.

Units:

• Chosen -> Are indirectly confirmed to stay around. I could see them to have some changes to their Aura and price.
  • Chaos Warshrine -> Out only Priest will have a good time I belive. The custom Prayer may be upgraded and I belive there will be quite a lot of prayers to choose from. Either 6 unaligned or maybe even 1-3 per god. Maybe a buff to the meele capability
  • Chaotic Beasts (Furies and Raptoryx)-> Will be included but I rather don´t belive them to get any love. Furies are quite usefull for the objective game right now but Raptoryx have to compete against Corvus Cabal for the spot of cheap chaff.
  • Chaos Warhounds -> May be included. Would be rather a suprise as they are well placed within BoC.

Monsters:

• Slaughterbrutes ->Will be included. I wish they would rework the Profile for them. At least the Mortal Wound rule as it is requires a rework as it is badly worded. I belive they may get an additional Mark of Khorne now if desired.
  • Mutalith Vortex Beasts->Same as Slaughterbrutes. May have a rework and will get the option to get the Tzeentch Keyword.
  • Chimera ->May be included as through Warcry. I do not see a rework of the Warscroll as likely here.
  • Jabberslythe ->I belive we won´t get them.
  • Soul Grinder -> The big unknown one. I wouldn´t wonder if GW cuts them from AoS, althrough I also really can imagine them to add the Soul Grinder into the army and to keep it to pick one of the Marks of Chaos. Althrough I rather doubt a rework of the scroll beside the claw ability, which is one of the last "silly" AoS 0.1 Rules leftover as Nagashs Grip was.
  • Chaos Gargants -> Possible. They are still listed to exist under GA Chaos in the Shop and I would wonder why GW would keep them there if there is no tome to use them. The kit is around so free cashgrab for gw and a nice unit for us players.
  • Coackatrice -> Hopefully stays a BoC Unit~ I dislike the Kit and see no overlap here
  • Catshpinx-> Will come, hopefully the Warscroll is in the Tome
  • Ogroid Brute Thing ->as Catsphinx
  • Formoid Crusher -> See the two above.

Allies:
My bets go on Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch and Slaanesh, as also Beasts of Chaos. Skaven is the only thing that seems weird as they do not follow directly the Pantheon of the Chaos Gods.

I don't mind any of this minus the squatting of my 40 mauraders....pretty please with sugar on top GW make them garbage but don't get rid of them 😂😂 

Trying to convince them they are any of the warcry guys I might struggle....is there an Age of Conan warcry warband coming 👍🤞

1 minute ago, Blisterfeet said:

I don't mind any of this minus the squatting of my 40 mauraders....pretty please with sugar on top GW make them garbage but don't get rid of them 😂😂 

Trying to convince them they are any of the warcry guys I might struggle....is there an Age of Conan warcry warband coming 👍🤞

Add a pack of Wolves or Beasts and use them as untamed beasts. Should be the easiest way around. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

I don't think they'll be getting rid of Marauders, they've shown pics of the Marauder horsemen still in the army, so I'd be surprised if they discontinued the foot versions even if they do need a long overdue update.

Oh I agree they need an update just an update I can still use the old models while I transition. 

Getting the dread axe means that they are dodgy lookalikes 😄 the untamed beasts is a great shout though @Charleston I am sure I have some fenrisian wolves laying about somewhere! 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/12/03/faction-focus-slaves-to-darknessgw-homepage-post-2/

Okay guys, a great article:

-> There won´t be any cuts to StD as it seems. NONE. Marauders are explicitely in. Belakor is even depicted on the first page. Soul Grinders are mentioned in the Article.

-> Main alligience Ability stays the same, but Auras are improved for general

-> 4 Legions that grant a suballigience. One around Masses of Units that gives us 5 Warlord traits and allows to switch generals. One for Monsters and Princes. One for Sorcerers and one for the Everchosen

• LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I'm all about Ravagers! All over them!

Interestingly, being able to summon 10-person Cultist means the Cultist unit sizes might have to change from the 8-and 9-person sizes we have currently. Or maybe not?

it says up to ten. So no change

2 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

Wow! this is 5 boxes and a bunch of points for sure (1300 in the state of StD). So, you are just 1960pts with big daddy. If the varanguards go up by 10pts, you're f*cked. lol

I'm also in love with varanguards. I just picked up my first unit waiting for the rules and synergies to eventually get a second pack. One of my ideas/hope is to make a alll-mounted/cavalry army.

- varanguards (1 or 2 units)

- knights (probably MSU)

- chariots

With some HQ: manticores, the new chaos mounted guy, even the (superb) warshrine.

I'm sad that we won't have the mammoth, but I really hope we got the chaos giant, the slaughterbrute and eventually the mutalith (but I think that this one will be in the upcoming disciple of tzeentch)

It'll definitely suck if I can only field 12, but I'm OK with it. I really should have a screening unit anyway tbh.  (And I painted 3x blue, 3x red, 3x purple, 3x green, and 3x black - so I'd just sit the black unit if I have to).

So this is amazing news Ravagers and an Archaon, or maybe Archaon my Varanguard and some knights.....all marked differently or all marked the same. 

I am a very happy customer right now, nothing better than a book that sounds stuffed with options for all my units. Here's hoping this is Gloomspite/Cities esk tome and not one subfaction to rule them all!

2 hours ago, Cambot1231 said:

Word on the street is the Chaos lord warscroll previewed has been translated and his command ability is to allow a unit nearby to pile in and attack again :)

Omg please be true.

I'm not seeing much that wows me here so far. There is always hype and people get amped for new book then it drops and is a dud strategically.

I don't want to rain on anyones parade here but the best thing so far to me is that the Mark of Chaos rule remains the same which i was worried might get some nerf somehow.

As long as key word shenanigans are still in play this is gonna be viable army. Where it stands now it can only improve but i dont see Cities of Sigmar level improvement. I think a lot is gonna ride on what changes take place with Archaon and Varanguard along with any unseen surprises still in store.

I'm just taking a level headed approach here.