AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

7 minutes ago, Rumblefish said:

That's the trouble with them and IMO expanding Ironjawz. All the good/fun ideas start to drink Beastclaws' milkshake.

I honestly cant understand why fw havent used aos as the opportunity to bring back rhinox cavalry for beastclaw.

but back on topic, i see what you mean.  Its the thing that makes them different that will be the magic of this faction and also probably the hardest thing to nail down.

unless we just see all cultural subfactions find unity under the everchosen banner?

8 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

I honestly cant understand why fw havent used aos as the opportunity to bring back rhinox cavalry for beastclaw.

Maybe the mold is broken and they don't think they could make the money back for a new one? Then again they somehow can fund all the lotr stuff....

Edited by kenshin620
  • Like 1

I'm convinced that AoS will follow Warhammer: Total War, in terms of a split. (although it might be rougher in AoS)

Darkoath will be similar to Norsca(or old WoC), as they are warmongering/raiding barbarians that have a connection to chaos but not on the same level as Bloodbound or Rotbringer. More of a superstitious, shamanistic kind of thing. I can see the Mammoth coming back as a core model and beasts having a connection to them -> Chaos beastmasters.

Everchosen and the armoured part of StD (Warriors, Knights, Chariots, Shrine...) will be combined in one book, while  the marauder part of StD is discontinued. Resulting in one undivided book of true devotees of Chaos. I really like the idea of one allegiance ability just doubling the points available for allies. Ergo, a 2000 list of an Everchosen/Undivided army could bring 800p of allies.

• Like 1

According to the malign portents stuff the darkoath aren't the crazy blood mad followers we see in other chaos factions.
They are a peoples who believe they were forgotten by Sigmar and swore oaths to the chaos gods to survive. I don't believe they are inherently evil.
I remember a thing from the old chaos army book, years ago round about the same time the storm of chaos campaign.
It followed some lecturer guy from Middelheim cataloguing the peoples of the northern wastes. In it he stated that they didn't  raid and kill for the fun of it but to survive. Raiding to them was to farming for a southerner. They also didn't see the chaos gods as evil. To them the chaos gods just were. Something to be revered and feared in equal measure.
Misunderstood the same way the Mayans and Norse were vilified by Christians.

It was a really nice read and still one of my favourite pieces of writing in warhammer lore.  
It should them as a people and not as monsters.
One of the best parts being when one of their chieftains or champions meets the unfortunate end as a spawn they aren't killed or driven off but were kept almost as pets or talismans. The old family members taking the responsibility of feeding it.

This is kind of what I'm hoping for. A race you can sympathise with and understand.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anyone tried any of the endless spells in their StD lists yet? The jaws and gravetide both nerf bravery, so they could go in that bravery-bomb list, and the pendulum would be a great source of mortal wounds to break up the tarpits when warriors run into another tanky unit. 

1 hour ago, Hounsou83 said:

I tried the geminids and i think They are Very good for us , anyone noticed how strong is the Mark of the all favored on a chaos lord on demonic mount ? It gets all the buffs!  

Yeah, geminids look strong! What's the mark? Can't see it on the warscroll - unless I'm looking at an out-of-date one - or is it somewhere else?

6 hours ago, Hounsou83 said:

I tried the geminids and i think They are Very good for us , anyone noticed how strong is the Mark of the all favored on a chaos lord on demonic mount ? It gets all the buffs!  

Does he?

You could argue that he only gains the Keywords but not the Mark and therefore not the relevant abilities...

35 minutes ago, Xasz said:

Does he?

You could argue that he only gains the Keywords but not the Mark and therefore not the relevant abilities...

nope, it basically makes him everchosen light.  You could surround him with buffing characters of each god and basically pick which buff he needs each turn to do his job.   In this instance the keyword is the mark - he's blessed by all the gods of chaos. :)

fill your boots with the possibilities.

remember that unlike fantasy of old, the marks now are just keywords that allow things to trigger rather than abilities with properties  in their own right.

Edited by Kaleb Daark

I'm utterly paralyzed with indecision over the fate of my large Slaves to Darkness collection.

I have somewhere in the region of 20 knights, 2 chariots, a Lord on Daemonic Mount, chaos Lord, 2 sorceror and approximately 35 chaos warriors. I keep thinking about where I can use them and how; ie as a stand alone Slaves to Darkness mob or as mortals in one of the "big 4" armies. I'm reluctant to commit one way or the other for fear of regretting it and having a thematically inflexible force.

So, how does this sound;

I paint them all in generic dark armour, black cloaks etc. Just functional heavy metal colours. Then I paint a banner bearer on foot and on steed in the colours and style of each god. 

That way if I want to field them for a specific army I take the unit and have the standard bearer as the one with the mark. 

Does this sound like it would work visually, the idea that the guy with the banner has the blessing and he shares it with his comrades?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think that tomorrow i'll try this 1000 pt list

-Lord on demonic mount

general-Mark of the all favoured, master of deception 

-sorceror lord on manticore  mark of nurgle 

chaos chariot x1 Mark of khorne

gorebeast chariot x2 Mark of khorne

chaos knights with spears x10 Mark of nurgle

aethervoid pendulum x1

it's 980 points , what do you think ? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

nope, it basically makes him everchosen light.  You could surround him with buffing characters of each god and basically pick which buff he needs each turn to do his job.   In this instance the keyword is the mark - he's blessed by all the gods of chaos. :)

fill your boots with the possibilities.

remember that unlike fantasy of old, the marks now are just keywords that allow things to trigger rather than abilities with properties  in their own right.

I think he also get all the bonuses, when you deploy him, you choose a mark and get the relevant keyword and bonus , why should he not get all the bonuses from all the marks , he got all 4 of them, so the 4 keywords and the 4 bonuses 

Clearly the intention is that you choose a mark at the start of each turn and he then benefits from whatever buffs/abilities affect that mark. You do not get all four marks at once like Archaon and you do not gain the bonuses from the individual god marks that a dedicated Lord receives. 

9 hours ago, Hounsou83 said:

I think he also get all the bonuses, when you deploy him, you choose a mark and get the relevant keyword and bonus , why should he not get all the bonuses from all the marks , he got all 4 of them, so the 4 keywords and the 4 bonuses 

sort of, but you essentially choose a mark a the beginning of each turn like @Agent of Chaos says.  Think of the ability like the everchosen ability.

Scrub that!  I've just read the ghb2018 wording, and yes you have all four keywords without any conditions attached.

You do have all four marks.  It doesn't say anything about choosing which one any given round.  

I'm sure this will be getting a faq or errata at some point for clarification,  but until it does, yes, you have them all.   That's very powerful. :)

So you're a mini archaon rather than a varanguard who must choose.

Edited by Kaleb Daark

10 hours ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

I'm utterly paralyzed with indecision over the fate of my large Slaves to Darkness collection.

I have somewhere in the region of 20 knights, 2 chariots, a Lord on Daemonic Mount, chaos Lord, 2 sorceror and approximately 35 chaos warriors. I keep thinking about where I can use them and how; ie as a stand alone Slaves to Darkness mob or as mortals in one of the "big 4" armies. I'm reluctant to commit one way or the other for fear of regretting it and having a thematically inflexible force.

So, how does this sound;

I paint them all in generic dark armour, black cloaks etc. Just functional heavy metal colours. Then I paint a banner bearer on foot and on steed in the colours and style of each god. 

That way if I want to field them for a specific army I take the unit and have the standard bearer as the one with the mark. 

Does this sound like it would work visually, the idea that the guy with the banner has the blessing and he shares it with his comrades?

I did it by putting a daemon standard bearer unit filler in the unit.  So perhaps a blood letter or a daemonette on a rock or something egging them on.  Adds a splash of colour to the unit as well, or maybe magnetise a spare shield to the banner pole or something similar with the relevant colours as others have said.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, sigmar is scottish said:

What we hoping for from the speculated darkoath release? 

I'm hoping for a massed horde feel backed up by powerfull monsters and characters. 

Not overly chaos but a barbaric nomad feel. 

Unmarked/undivided.  Not as a 5th option, as the only option.  Not to just be a Battleline feeder to Tzeentch or Slaanesh, but to be a stand-alone faction.

• Like 3

Would you say it's worth investing in Slaves army right now, or is it better to hold until Darkoath comes? I love the Undivided/Chaos Warriors theme and will definitely go all in on Darkoath. Just wondering if they would be compatible with the StD. 

1 hour ago, Samanar said:

Would you say it's worth investing in Slaves army right now, or is it better to hold until Darkoath comes? I love the Undivided/Chaos Warriors theme and will definitely go all in on Darkoath. Just wondering if they would be compatible with the StD. 

Here's the problem.  "Until Darkoath comes" is a very nebulous period.

I've been watching very closely for reliable, sourced rumours.  So far here is the entirety of Darkoath faction rumours:

• 2 of the 4 Malign Portents harbinger models have heralded updates to their factions (Lord Ordinator -> SCE and Knight of Shrouds -> Nighthaunt).

That's it.

So, take this as likely-sounding as you want it to be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

Here's the problem.  "Until Darkoath comes" is a very nebulous period.

I've been watching very closely for reliable, sourced rumours.  So far here is the entirety of Darkoath faction rumours:

• 2 of the 4 Malign Portents harbinger models have heralded updates to their factions (Lord Ordinator -> SCE and Knight of Shrouds -> Nighthaunt).

That's it.

So, take this as likely-sounding as you want it to be.

Is that all we have about anything AoS related?  It isn’t like there are a ton of not slave rumors making the rounds.

• Like 1