AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

What would you guys say is the best weapon for chaos knights? I've started a Slaves to Darkness army and plan on running at least 10 of them. While the glaiveslook brutal on the charge, hitting on 4s (3+) with a lord on steed using his command ability) seems a bit too swing compared to the ensorcelled weapons.

On 5/18/2019 at 3:57 PM, ChaoSwede said:

Hey all new STD player here, started some death a year ago, havent had a single game yet due to work and haveing a little nurgle demon whos 1 and a half, last game i had war prob 18 ish years ago. My wife bought me a demon prince and i had to look up slaves to darkness as a faction,  thats was a month ago and i have since bought chaos warriors a god sworn warband pack and alittle more, wife way of trying to pull me away from the computer ;) 

How is STD as a faction havent been able to find much lore on the net or youtube, love the models!

Personally I think it's in a great spot but i'm not bothered with the top tier tournament thingie. And seeing your last game was 18 years ago I think your in the same spot ;) 

The tough thing is we have no book, so no special fluff and rules. Which is a shame because the lore in Scourge of Fate (black library book, really good imo) describes a very cool society/structure of how mortals that haven't dedicated to one god live and view eachother. (there are more books with relevant lore, I would also highly recommend the DarkOath Queen one: WarQueen)

The most fun thing in my mind is that I played my StD as Slaanesh, Tzeentch and recently as Nurgle. Which is so much fun and flexibilty. (I do admit: small games, borrowed hero models really helps in that ;) ) 

I still like a lot of the models and i'm personably very hopeful for release in the future. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 5:55 AM, Shankelton said:

Same here. Chaos warriors hooked me on this hobby.

Personally I'm hoping the STD update brings new Chosen in all their glory. Not much for the conan aesthetic, but it's good enough that I'll deal with it so long as my commanders keep that look.

I just cant wait for archeon to come back into the story. I dig his lore in a big way, and chaos undivided in general.

Let me look like Sauron, bowing to a bigger Sauron, or let me die.

For me its all about Archaon, Chaos Warriors, Chosen, Knights and I guess now the Varanguard.........basically an elite army of Chaos Mortals like the good old days. Yes, it is still possible to do now......However, the rules need a major refresh and my Chaos Warriors/Chosen just look tired compared to all the amazing new models - Chaos Warriors also feel too small.

It wouldn't surprise me if they ditched Chaos Lords in favor of Varanguard equivalents 

My  list would be:

Expecting

• New Chaos Warriors
  • New Chosen Warriors 'or'  Varanguard Warriors (Varanguard would make more sense) - share a kit with Chaos Warriors?
  • Varanguard Mounted Lord
  • Darkoath - Maruader type kits (foot/horses)
  • Darkoath Lord mounted on Chariot 

Wishing

• Varanguard Lord on foot (40k version with the hammer looks bad-ass) 
  • Varanguard Lord riding twin-headed dragon

Dreaming

• Alternative Archaon  (either on foot or horse)
  • Hellcannon 

Note: Warriors need to get the Primaris Marine treatment and become a little bigger IMO

The whole viking thing is great, but i have never really liked the whole mass unit of Marauders concept. I have just always been drawn to heavy armored superior warriors that are always out numbered but somehow hold the line even when down to only a few warriors left......with the might of Chaos Lords and Chosen grinding their way through the toughest of foes. It used to be that Chaos Lords were feared by everyone, you could kit them out with epic items....in many respects that has all been lost (that said unkillable lord tarpits should remain a thing of the past)

Edited by Gibs
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gibs said:
  • New Chosen Warriors
  • Varanguard champions on foot

I think those would get rolled into one. Packed in a box of 5 like blightkings/skullreapers.

While I would also love new dynamic chaos warriors, it's so hard to tell GW's AoS policy on replacing plastic figures. Yes, CSM finally got the update they needed, but AoS wise GW has been very reserved. You got the Night Goblin Fanatics, and thats basically kind of it for the past few years. Especially since at a minimum theres all the plastic kits from Warcry (6 warbands) and I'd imagine at least plastic chosen/vanguard.

Then again somehow we're getting plastic Necromunda characters. Thats usually FW's job.

4 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I think those would get rolled into one. Packed in a box of 5 like blightkings/skullreapers.

While I would also love new dynamic chaos warriors, it's so hard to tell GW's AoS policy on replacing plastic figures. Yes, CSM finally got the update they needed, but AoS wise GW has been very reserved. You got the Night Goblin Fanatics, and thats basically kind of it for the past few years. Especially since at a minimum theres all the plastic kits from Warcry (6 warbands) and I'd imagine at least plastic chosen/vanguard.

Then again somehow we're getting plastic Necromunda characters. Thats usually FW's job.

To me Chaos Warriors are the backbone of this army and without new sculpts it will feel disappointing regardless of the other changes we get. Have no issues with them sharing a kit with vanguard or something as it would make sense. Do not even mind merging Chaos Lords into Varanguard heroes etc......but pleasee GW if you watching give use new Chaos Warrior sculpts!!! 

Edited by Gibs

7 minutes ago, Gibs said:

To me Chaos Warriors are the backbone of this army

So are CSM to CSM! But they've had to put up with their old kit from 3rd edition to technically the first half of 8th! Methinks GW is slightly allergic to generic chaos. (and the Cultist issue but thats a gameplay thing)

Well could be worse. Could be slaanesh mortals...that don't exist/piggy backing off of the eventual everchosen update!

47 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

So are CSM to CSM! But they've had to put up with their old kit from 3rd edition to technically the first half of 8th! Methinks GW is slightly allergic to generic chaos. (and the Cultist issue but thats a gameplay thing)

Well could be worse. Could be slaanesh mortals...that don't exist/piggy backing off of the eventual everchosen update!

I guess only GW knows what is coming and all we can do is share our hopes and dreams haha. I agree that generic Chaos is in a strange place now that each God has their own fleshed out book in many ways. That said, if they dislike it they should have done a better job fleshing out mortals in some of the other books and then ditched the whole Slaves to Darkness/Everchosen concept as in theory it would not be needed.

Honestly I am actually surprised they didn't do this. For example the whole Darkoath Viking theme would have been a perfect fit in Khorne. Slaanesh just needed a few more mortal entries so you could build the whole Sigvald foot-slogging mortal themed army. Nurgle is already well fleshed out and Tzeentch could do the same as Slannesh and add a few more generic mortal entries into the book. Half those additional entries could use duel kit for new warriors and lords and the rest would be faction specific entries as required. That is how I would have gone about it, but that isn't the case so give use new Genric units......I am ready  to paint 30 new Chaos Warriors haha.

Edited by Gibs

8 minutes ago, Gibs said:

then ditched the whole Slaves to Darkness/Everchosen concept as in theory it would bot be needed.

If people got angry at the bretonnia/tomb king thing, writing out Undivided Chaos I think would have actually killed AoS and we'd all be playing 9th age.

Plus as seen by Chaos 8.5, they clearly love undivided chaos. When they put their mind to it! (now if only imperial guard/astra militarum werent hamstrung by old plastic infantry...)

Then again it is funny how "opposite" 7-8th edition WFB is compared to AoS for chaos armies.

In WFB, they separated mortals, beasts, and daemons (outside of Tamurkhan) and there was ZERO incentive to run Mono-God armies. You'd have Tzeentch 5++ warriors being flanked by khorne knights and a slaanesh giant hitting as fast as sonic the hedgehog!

Now in AoS, not only are mono-god armies the main way to play, but people are complaining they can't play Mono-Daemon or Mono-Mortal without missing out on parts of the army!

32 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

If people got angry at the bretonnia/tomb king thing, writing out Undivided Chaos I think would have actually killed AoS and we'd all be playing 9th age.

Plus as seen by Chaos 8.5, they clearly love undivided chaos. When they put their mind to it! (now if only imperial guard/astra militarum werent hamstrung by old plastic infantry...)

Then again it is funny how "opposite" 7-8th edition WFB is compared to AoS for chaos armies.

In WFB, they separated mortals, beasts, and daemons (outside of Tamurkhan) and there was ZERO incentive to run Mono-God armies. You'd have Tzeentch 5++ warriors being flanked by khorne knights and a slaanesh giant hitting as fast as sonic the hedgehog!

Now in AoS, not only are mono-god armies the main way to play, but people are complaining they can't play Mono-Daemon or Mono-Mortal without missing out on parts of the army!

Customers are fickle aren't we :) 

I personally prefer the model where each god has their own book and theme. It always felt cheesy and bugged me when its all about cherry picking the best mix mark units and bringing them together (the internal  balance was always ****** too). That said, he mortals have always interested me more than the demons and right now Slaves and Everchosen are what brings that fantasy together (Blades of Khorne is brilliant, but Khonre isn't my preferred allegiance).......I was really wanting Hedonites of Slaanesh to build in the mortals side of the army a little more that would have been perfect from my perspective. Unfortunately, the book is basically dedicated to Demons with door only slightly ajar for Mortals (clearly an afterthought).

At the end of the day we all have a slightly different 'perfect' and its interesting reading what everyone wants.......

For me....

1 book per god (no undivided faction). Each has entries and supporting rules for both mortals and demons, they can then restrict the interactions between units within the theme/rules of each book. There can exist generic units across books i.e. Chaos Warriors........whats funny though is that they did a great job with Khorne and Nurgle (theme wise) but IMO have dropped the ball with Slaanesh.

Edited by Gibs

Shame it wasn't sustainable financially for GW......I do miss spending hours thinking about what items to load-out characters with 100pts was never enough!

That said, while I am not a great Khorne fanboy I have to admit I really like how they have designed Blades of Khorne in AoS. Of course its not perfect, but lets be honest that is nearly an impossible task.

Edited by Gibs

On 5/22/2019 at 2:20 AM, Gibs said:

whats funny though is that they did a great job with Khorne and Nurgle (theme wise) but IMO have dropped the ball with Slaanesh

Really? Where did they drop it? Just curious  

I think it’s a shame their are no mortals in there, but that seems a conscious descision. So fair play, can’t please everyone. Lore in the book seems cool, the depravity mechanic is cool (might need some tweaking though), model rules are cool, new models are gorgeous. 

Of course all personal, just curious to hear where you feel they dropped the ball?

The core of my army is

- chaos warriors

- 20 knights

- 3 charriots. 

I love cavalry ;-)

I also have  a wizzard, a mounted manticore (lord/wizz), a shrine.  and 2 daemon princes.

My next upgrade: a vanguard box and archaon...and probably a giant (gargant) because he looks great in such an army.

From there, I'll be able to play whatever good I am in the mood of: a big belly GUO? a new slash prince (love this one)? a mojor daemon of khorne? I'm fit to play this army for years, yet it'll have so many different flavors. I'm pretty confident that this army will be competitive as soon as we have a book (soooooooon).

My secret whish: a big long range weapon (balista, catapult, hell canon, whatever...).

• Like 1

Hello.

I'm a fairly new player who has been doing well with FEC butnhas grown bored and wants to try something else. As I like several chaos gods intjought starting with a fairly large force of these guys would allow me to also have playable forces for the other gods more easily and is this efficient. 

I was thinking of buying Archaon, a unit of Varanguard (though I can't find their point cost) and the Godsworn Warband. Is there any reason that this is a bad plan? I was about to pull the trigger but thought I'd post here and ask first. 

I should note that I don't want the army to be super strong, as I already have FEC, but also don't want to be stomped. 

Thanks.