AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, PAR said:

they could go down the god battalion route as BoC have

This seems most likely of all. Another option is have something similar to Stormcast chamber for each God and then maybe a generic StD one or two.

I can't imagine NOT having a way to some how align your Darkoath to a particular God.

I can´t imagine them to remove the Mark of Chaos Rule. The backblow would be too big from all players who use StD´s under a specific God. I am honestly terrified by this tought as I´ve just spend good money to make my Slaves/Blades og Khorne Mix Army more valueable again and to loos like half of my army through such a swplit would be enough to ragequit the hobby~

• Thanks 1

Hey guys, I have a tournament coming soon, its a doubles event. My partner is running Bloodbound and I have decided on StD. 

I have just bought the godsworn battleforce box and am wondering what you all think would be a good little list for my 1000 points. 

Ive not really played 2.0 (i know, I'm awful) so im at a bit of a loss on how to build. I'm guessing dispelling and hordes?

I appreciate I'm not giving much to go on here but any help is appreciated!

4 hours ago, ChaosUndivided said:

Im not saying that the StD will change. I was talking largely about Darkoath. StD will keep mark of chaos but will probably also gain access to some type of Host if you want to run them as StD not a specific god.

That's what I'm concerned about. 

If gw let everyone (chaos gods) use every model it can make strategies and synergies and etc, hard to keep on top of. It's also unfair to all the tiny armies.

On the other hand it will sell more models and I want it.

@Riavan that was my original concern too. Back when we started discussing the topic i basically say that for Darkoath to be a good faction with interesting play style it would have to be self contained and im using the lack of any Mark of Chaos rule on any current Darkoath warscroll to point out that this may in fact be what they are planning to do. This make the rules writing a lot easier to balance as you dont have to worry about unintended combos.

However, the StD units that currently exist and can take marks will probably continue to do so. I think the ability to take a mark will either be directly on the units warscroll (like generic StD) or possibly there will be God-specific battalions for Darkoath like we see in Beast of Chaos. Both can be true at same time.

This would make balancing a lot more predictable over the multiple factions for Darkoath while the generic StD units will stay exactly that, generic, so that they can't be overly swingy if given a mark.

This is all just hypothetical guessing on my part. Only time will tell.

Speaking of Darkoath while they may be smaller scale (more true scale, though they also tend to be a tad larger than other historical 28mm), hot dog the plastic vikings coming from Victrix look pretty darn great and animated! If you want to go for a Norsca look, they may look pretty good alternative.

Spoiler

59321470_1514515458684343_82099813022968

58440142_1515556785246877_50881051884267

58596796_1515556691913553_24900581164989

58707903_1515556731913549_58560629460225

On the topic of marks, it may also be a Nighthaunt situation where the base Slaves to Darkness are sharable bu the new units aren't.

For example it doesn't seem like the Warcry Warbands are favoring any particular gods.

I just love how these guys look !

It's pretty hard for me at the moment, cause I'm so in love with the Darkoath / Barbarian aesthetic, and as we don't know anything yet ... I have to refrain from starting anything AoS-Related 😅

Hi there, got what is more than likely a stupid question but i cannot find an answer anywhere.

My friend is wanting to take StD forces in a nurgle army, and wants to use a battalion from the Chaos book. He says it should be fine as  the army have the right keywords however, I was under the impression that only the Beasts of Chaos battalions worked this way as they give the god keyword through the battalion? Could someone clear this up for us please? 

3 hours ago, Shad0wStormed said:

Hi there, got what is more than likely a stupid question but i cannot find an answer anywhere.

My friend is wanting to take StD forces in a nurgle army, and wants to use a battalion from the Chaos book. He says it should be fine as  the army have the right keywords however, I was under the impression that only the Beasts of Chaos battalions worked this way as they give the god keyword through the battalion? Could someone clear this up for us please? 

If all the units in battalion have the Nurgle keyword and he is running a Nurgle army it should be fine.

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in a FAQ and it applies to all/ any battalions where the units do not count as ally. I tried to look for this in FAQs and couldn't find this specific one however. 

Those new models look awesome! I wonder if those are all the models we are getting in the starter set?

6 Iron Golems from Chamon with a Raptorix 

8 Untamed Beasts from Ghur with a "Goat-Lion thing"

and a few Chaos Furies ...plus some terrain... Seams like a good deal (depending on the price, of course).

1 hour ago, ChaosUndivided said:

If all the units in battalion have the Nurgle keyword and he is running a Nurgle army it should be fine.

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in a FAQ and it applies to all/ any battalions where the units do not count as ally. I tried to look for this in FAQs and couldn't find this specific one however. 

It's the opposite.

If a Battalion is tied to an Allegiance, it may only be taken in that Allegiance unless it is taken as an Ally (and the entire cost of units+battalion is the ally).

BoC is the exception which had to be specifically FAQ'ed otherwise RAW would make it impossible to have marked BoC in God armies.

6 minutes ago, Wraith01 said:

Those new models look awesome! I wonder if those are all the models we are getting in the starter set?

6 Iron Golems from Chamon with a Raptorix 

8 Untamed Beasts from Ghur with a "Goat-Lion thing"

and a few Chaos Furies ...plus some terrain... Seams like a good deal (depending on the price, of course).

I think the Furies are separate warband. It would seem weird to me for a starter set to have "three" factions.

2 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I think the Furies are separate warband. It would seem weird to me for a starter set to have "three" factions.

I think they are roaming monsters...  AI controlled by the game.

Edited by Wraith01

51 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

It just doesn't fit the theme for me.

I mean that is kind of the point of Warcry as per the designers, to show a 'different' side of chaos.

It does sort of make sense in a way, just because you're Unmarked chaos doesn't mean you're Nosrca 2.0 or a Spikey Knight.

Edited by kenshin620
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I love spikey knights! But that's just me, isn't it?

Same here. Chaos warriors hooked me on this hobby.

Personally I'm hoping the STD update brings new Chosen in all their glory. Not much for the conan aesthetic, but it's good enough that I'll deal with it so long as my commanders keep that look.

I just cant wait for archeon to come back into the story. I dig his lore in a big way, and chaos undivided in general.

Let me look like Sauron, bowing to a bigger Sauron, or let me die.

Hey all new STD player here, started some death a year ago, havent had a single game yet due to work and haveing a little nurgle demon whos 1 and a half, last game i had war prob 18 ish years ago. My wife bought me a demon prince and i had to look up slaves to darkness as a faction,  thats was a month ago and i have since bought chaos warriors a god sworn warband pack and alittle more, wife way of trying to pull me away from the computer ;) 

How is STD as a faction havent been able to find much lore on the net or youtube, love the models!

3 hours ago, ChaoSwede said:

How is STD as a faction havent been able to find much lore on the net or youtube, love the models!

Well in a word, rough!

The current Slaves to Darkness army is a bit half baked, with really old warscrolls and a General's Handbook Allegiance that results in an army that is a bit more like a supplement to the 4 Gods rather than a standalone thing.

But all signs point to Everchosen/Slaves to Darkness update soon-ish (I'd wager July-August?)