AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Doesn't look like the Manticore Lord is getting any updates - not much changed at all in the errata, for StD actually. Not even the poor Darkoath Warqueen got an update, and her command ability is just a worse version of one of the new generic ones :s

1 hour ago, CyderPirate said:

Doesn't look like the Manticore Lord is getting any updates - not much changed at all in the errata, for StD actually. Not even the poor Darkoath Warqueen got an update, and her command ability is just a worse version of one of the new generic ones :s

That is really unfortunate if they don't buff him, since he is still the same overcosted as in General's Handbook 2017. Here is hoping that if they do a "Slaves to Darkness/Darkoath" battletome in the future we will see warscroll changes and buffs like they did in Maggotkin and Legions of Nagash.

On a more positive note, what endless spells do you folks think will work best in an StD list?

I'm going to go for the Orbs, Pendulum and Shackles (probably not all at once though!) 

The debuff from the orbs will help us win those grindy matches and attrition-out our opponents, particularly at either end of the spectrum. It'll level the playing field against elite units, and remove the advantages of the larger units like skeles that get progressively better buffs for larger unit sizes.

Warriors are great at pinnging units in place but suck at doing any damage, throwing down a pendulum to slice through an engaged unit will help tip the odds in our favour.

Did say the faithless change in cost?  I'm having trouble finding his points cost. 

*Edit* I saw the thread with the points change but I can't find the actual pdf on Forge Worls's website for the points. 

Not surprised they are making you take him and Nightmaw as a pair now.  Unfortunately it also increases his cost alot. 

Edited by cplhicks

47 minutes ago, cplhicks said:

Did say the faithless change in cost?  I'm having trouble finding his points cost. 

*Edit* I saw the thread with the points change but I can't find the actual pdf on Forge Worls's website for the points. 

Not surprised they are making you take him and Nightmaw as a pair now.  Unfortunately it also increases his cost alot. 

Here's the link to the Community page with the downloads - points costs are at the end, Sayl/Nightmaw are 200pts

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/29/29th-june-a-monster-update-from-forge-worldfw-homepage-post-1/

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

THANK YOU FORGEWORLD!!!!!!

THE MAMMOTH GETS TO CHOOSE MARKS!!!

YES YES YES!!!!!!!

:):):)

my khorne slaves will be overjoyed!

Just seen that and now I am contemplating a 22 wound model with 4 bronzed flesh on it running around...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

Just seen that and now I am contemplating a 22 wound model with 4 bronzed flesh on it running around...

Ive got two, and ive just sourced a third so colour me happy!

cursed ettin, three mammoths,  warshrine, marauders and horsemen :)

ally in mr whippy and the secrator and you can colour me happier than a happy thing  on st happimas day :)

oh and talk to me  about the four bronzed flesh ...

Edited by Kaleb Daark

28 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Ive got two, and ive just sourced a third so colour me happy!

cursed ettin, three mammoths,  warshrine, marauders and horsemen :)

ally in mr whippy and the secrator and you can colour me happier than a happy thing  on st happimas day :)

oh and talk to me  about the four bronzed flesh ...

Blades of khorne army w gore pilgrims - 3 priests and a shrine w khorne mark all taking bronze flesh. Lot of points but it can make 1 or 2 unitshard to shift.

You could not have gore pilgrims but it makes the bronzes fleshes more reliable 

Edited by Praecautus
  • Like 1

Looks like some small tweaks to Sayl and Nightmaw.  The D3 mortal wound attack can be done every turn but only goes off on a 5+ instead of automatically going off once per game.  Nightmaw also got -1 rend on it's attacks which helps ease the sting of having to include him now. 

I'm currently working on a Sayl conversion so this is super relevant to my interests lol. 

42 minutes ago, WeeDaveSoutar said:

Can you run a "bravery bomb" slaves army with the new mammoth rules?

Command trait -1

Artefact -2?

Mammoth charge -2

Chaos Knights -1

A little difficult to position but could be interesting

yes indeed :)

Also the mammoth bravery stacks so a unit within range of two charging mammoths take the cumulative hit.

Subtract 2 from the Bravery characteristic of enemy units while they are within 3" of this model if this model made a charge move in the same turn. 

I used to always run the general with the banner and the helm for added goodness, and yes when it goes off, it's a thing of beauty.

I also used to run the cursed ettin as his mortal wounds used to be on the modified bravery of the target unit, now it just says bravery on his warscroll so I wonder if that's the modified or listed.  Either way, very good.

What the mammoth has lost however is the rampage rule - this gave any unit within 3 auto wounds if the mammoth was wounded but, we've gained marks and that's worth its weight in gold.  With the bloodsecrator and mr whippy, and the warshrine buffing them they become pretty lethal.

Unfortunately we've lost the chieftain - who allowed a marauder unit to make a d6 move towards the enemy before any other moves. - brilliant for getting marauder horsemen in the face of the enemy turn 1.

and don't forget, however feeble, each mammoth gives you some free short range shooting as well.

Edited by Kaleb Daark

10 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

THANK YOU FORGEWORLD!!!!!!

THE MAMMOTH GETS TO CHOOSE MARKS!!!

YES YES YES!!!!!!!

:):):)

my khorne slaves will be overjoyed!

YOU DID IT MAN!! THIS IS ALL YOU!!

I still can't believe they changed it! The Chaos War Mammoth is really good for 320pts. Imagine that thing with a couple of Killing Frenzies on it, or Bronzed Flesh!

6 hours ago, Roark said:

YOU DID IT MAN!! THIS IS ALL YOU!!

I still can't believe they changed it! The Chaos War Mammoth is really good for 320pts. Imagine that thing with a couple of Killing Frenzies on it, or Bronzed Flesh!

thanks Dude !!

Yes, for the blessings we can put on this thing I think trading the rampage and chieftain rules is a fair trade off :)

• Like 1

So I have Warriors of Chaos army from WHFB and loads of Daemons. 

Before I sell everything from WoC what can I play in AoS and can I play it competitevly?

Also I can write everything what I have but mostly I have khorne stuff and characters from AoS starter from 3 years ago.

1 hour ago, bk5b said:

So I have Warriors of Chaos army from WHFB and loads of Daemons. 

Before I sell everything from WoC what can I play in AoS and can I play it competitevly?

Also I can write everything what I have but mostly I have khorne stuff and characters from AoS starter from 3 years ago.

Most mortal stuff is ok (but not super amazing), it seems the consensus is that Chosen and normal chariots are the only real yucky units (and sorcerer on manticore being really pricey). Oh and Forsaken are not slaves so they don't count for allegiances which makes them very moot (well they dont even sell them anymore anyways).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Most mortal stuff is ok (but not super amazing), it seems the consensus is that Chosen and normal chariots are the only real yucky units (and sorcerer on manticore being really pricey). Oh and Forsaken are not slaves so they don't count for allegiances which makes them very moot (well they dont even sell them anymore anyways).

10x knights
chariot (old)
archaon on horse
5x marauder horsemens
10 - 20x warhounds
verminlord (older one) 
2x giants
10-15x chosens
lord/sorc on manticore (on sprue still)
2-3x daemon prince
khorghos ghul and bloodsecrator
ogroid thaumaturge
tzeentch sorc lord on disc
darkoath chieftain
skulltaker
exalted deathbringer with bloodbite axe

And I would gladly add more stuff to make something competitive if some of the stuff here is worth something (competitive wise)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bk5b said:

10x knights
chariot (old)
archaon on horse
5x marauder horsemens
10 - 20x warhounds
verminlord (older one) 
2x giants
10-15x chosens
lord/sorc on manticore (on sprue still)
2-3x daemon prince
khorghos ghul and bloodsecrator
ogroid thaumaturge
tzeentch sorc lord on disc
darkoath chieftain
skulltaker
exalted deathbringer with bloodbite axe

And I would gladly add more stuff to make something competitive if some of the stuff here is worth something (competitive wise)

You have no battleline units except knights (StD alliance only) and the one chariot, These won't get you very far. You'll need warriors and marauders.

• Sad 1

Due to the lack of an Everchosen/Undivided thread... I'll spam this one.

Been thinking about building something like this:

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Archaon (660)
Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars (180)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
Lord Of Slaanesh On Daemonic Mount (140)

Battleline
10 x Kairic Acolytes (80)
- 7x Cursed Blade & Arcanite Shield
- 3x Cursed Glaives
- 3x Cursed Glaives
- 3x Cursed Glaives

Units
3 x Varanguard (280)
- Ensorcelled Weapon

Fancy Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (20)
Soulsnare Shackles (30)

Total: 1890 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 92

The last couple points could go into another unit of acolytes for objectives, more spells (although I'm convinced that the predatory spells are a trap) or I could kick the Gaunt and the Balewind for a second unit of Varanguard + extra CP.

Edited by Xasz

10 minutes ago, sigmar is scottish said:

What we hoping for from the speculated darkoath release? 

I'm hoping for a massed horde feel backed up by powerfull monsters and characters. 

Not overly chaos but a barbaric nomad feel. 

I think that we've seen the look of them in the warqueen and the chieftain - if they phase out marauders to be replaced with these guys I'll be content as its the right vibe.

I'd really like them as you say to have the monsters as part of their thing, mammoths, skinwolves and shape shifters, giants, and even chaos tainted troggoths - wheel out the old throgg model for added spectacle. 

Instead of chariots they could ride massive rhinox sized creatures such as pull the scraplauchers and ironblaster in the beastclaw raider models.

I sort of see them as the diametric opposite to the ironwald arsenal, a human faction replacing technology, clockwork and powder for beasts, muscle and physical fortitude.  the civilised lands and shelter of cities with blood scarred skies and the full force of the elements. :)

38 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

I think that we've seen the look of them in the warqueen and the chieftain - if they phase out marauders to be replaced with these guys I'll be content as its the right vibe.

I'd really like them as you say to have the monsters as part of their thing, mammoths, skinwolves and shape shifters, giants, and even chaos tainted troggoths - wheel out the old throgg model for added spectacle. 

Instead of chariots they could ride massive rhinox sized creatures such as pull the scraplauchers and ironblaster in the beastclaw raider models.

I sort of see them as the diametric opposite to the ironwald arsenal, a human faction replacing technology, clockwork and powder for beasts, muscle and physical fortitude.  the civilised lands and shelter of cities with blood scarred skies and the full force of the elements. :)

This is how I see them as well. 

The 'monsters and beasts'no just mounts but also their beasts of burden. Camps trapped to them, hauling loot and treasures. That sorta thing. Kinda like the beastclaw guys. 

• Like 1