AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

For new kits I'm betting

New warhounds (see hound in the new warband)

Marauder GW/shield+handweapon dual kit

Marauder javelin/bow kit

Marauder horseman

Foot chosen/varanguard of some sort

New centerpiece of some sort (people riding something)

A few new characters of different sorts, at least 1 is a wizard

On 2/20/2019 at 6:33 AM, Frowny said:

For new kits I'm betting

New warhounds (see hound in the new warband)

Marauder GW/shield+handweapon dual kit

Marauder javelin/bow kit

Marauder horseman

Foot chosen/varanguard of some sort

New centerpiece of some sort (people riding something)

A few new characters of different sorts, at least 1 is a wizard

Seems a bit much.

I'm more expecting a single kit for the Marauders. Meaning they have either multiple weapon options or, what I find more likely, have x special weapons. The newer kits seem to be less about building archetype-X or archetype-Y but more about the mix of special weapons (talking about something similar to Tzaangors).

Concerning centerpieces, I can see another medium sized unit, like another chariot. Although this would mean that a single army would have 3 types of chariots... other than that, I doubt we'll see something really big, as that's Archaons job and besides him there are several models that are waiting for their turn in the limelight.

I think the days of chosen are numbered, it's just too awkward to collect them and I'm not even sure if GW will replace them. With updated Marauders, Varanguard and all the generic chaos stuff they seem kinda out of place and will probably not leave behind a gap.

Speaking of Varanguard, I hope they'll be a more integral part of a new book, another model for these guys would be awesome (and seems rather likely, yeah).

On another note, I really recommend reading Scourge of Fate (and Warqueen) to anyone that is interested in Chaos. Scourge of Fate is not a big book but there is a lot of world building for the new Chaos Wastes, the Varanspire and especially the Varanguard. Like, how do they function, what is their job, how the they recruit new members (seems to be different from circle to circle), what are their believes... really interesting story (and shows that Darkoath are rather intertwined with the rest of chaos, especially StD/Archaon in this case).

I think you all are forgetting how many new kits the 3 prior foretold factions are getting.

Nighthaunt used 3 existing kits but got 4 infantry kits, another 5 heroes and the black coach, about 10 kits total.

Sacrosanct got sequitors, castigators, Evocators (mounted and unmounted), the ballista and 4 heroes (ordinator and like 3 varients of Lord arcanum) is almost 10 kits again

Gloomspite got manglers, loonboss, 2 squig kits, the multishamans, trolls, trogboss, new fanatics, the snufflers, for again about 10 kits, some with multibuild options. 

I think there will be quite a few...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Frowny said:

I think you all are forgetting how many new kits the 3 prior foretold factions are getting.

Nighthaunt used 3 existing kits but got 4 infantry kits, another 5 heroes and the black coach, about 10 kits total.

Sacrosanct got sequitors, castigators, Evocators (mounted and unmounted), the ballista and 4 heroes (ordinator and like 3 varients of Lord arcanum) is almost 10 kits again

Gloomspite got manglers, loonboss, 2 squig kits, the multishamans, trolls, trogboss, new fanatics, the snufflers, for again about 10 kits, some with multibuild options. 

I think there will be quite a few...

Hm.... Let's not forget that BoC got only endless spells and a herdstone. And it looks, at least so far, that shaven haven't gotten too much either. The endless spells, sure. Gnawholes, check. A rocket engineer? Yup. Not really too much else that I can see. Fact is, the armies that have been around a long time and have a plethora of units already available i.e. StD only get the bare minimum as far as new stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see a Mammoth, maybe some shooting units but we'll just have to wait and see. Chaos just doesn't seem to get the love as much as Death and Order.

1 minute ago, Tasman said:

Hm.... Let's not forget that BoC got only endless spells and a herdstone. And it looks, at least so far, that shaven haven't gotten too much either. The endless spells, sure. Gnawholes, check. A rocket engineer? Yup. Not really too much else that I can see. Fact is, the armies that have been around a long time and have a plethora of units already available i.e. StD only get the bare minimum as far as new stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see a Mammoth, maybe some shooting units but we'll just have to wait and see. Chaos just doesn't seem to get the love as much as Death and Order.

The difference is that all of the other 3 Heralds received a large release and most are basing the speculation on that.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, AwareTheLegend said:

The difference is that all of the other 3 Heralds received a large release and most are basing the speculation on tha

That may be, but it still stands as I stated.... there's no guarantee that there'll be any real new stuff for StD, other than a hero or two, endless spells and maybe some kind of terrain. Just sayin'.

2 minutes ago, Tasman said:

That may be, but it still stands as I stated.... there's no guarantee that there'll be any real new stuff for StD, other than a hero or two, endless spells and maybe some kind of terrain. Just sayin'.

To be fair there isn't a guarantee that there will be anything at all. There could be nothing besides a book. We don't even have confirmation of that.

• Like 1

I agree with a fair few of the posts so far as to what the new battletome/releases will entail. Here's my 2 cents as to the updates.

Hero wise is already pretty set. There's: Archaon, Chaos Lord/Sorcerer on foot & on Manticore, Gaunt Summoner, Darkoath Warchief/Warqueen and Daemon Prince (maybe Belakor with a resculpt). I think that both the Exalted Hero and Chaos lord on Daemonic Mount will be discontinued and replaced with a mounted Varanguard "Lieutenant" and a Darkoath Shaman in the same vein as Theddra. 

Units wise: Chaos Knights, both flavours of Chariot, Warshrine and Varanguard sculpts all hold up. Chaos Warriors, Marauders and Marauder Horsemen will get resculpts. Even though the Horsemen sculpts still hold up, they won't fit the aesthetic of the new Marauders as seen in the Godsworn Hunt. Marauders will be hand weapon and shield with X amount of Great Weapons per 20 or the option to give them bows instead. Chosen will probably be replaced by an Everchosen elite foot unit that fulfils a similar role. Perhaps also Chaos doggo unit similar to Gruul. Not sure if "stateless" daemons/units like Soul Grinders, Furies (with a resculpt) and Warhounds will be included.

Rules wise, while not the same, they'll probably be in the same design space as Beasts of Chaos. Separate allegiance abilities/command traits/artefacts for Everchosen, Slaves to Darkness and Darkoath. Spell Lore with a smaller one exclusively for Darkoath Shaman or Gaunt Summoner perhaps? Similar battalion set up with one focused on each sub-faction, a few that mesh sub-factions together and four god specific ones as well. Terrain piece would probably be a Chaos Shrine that has effects in the same vein as the Herdstone but obviously distinctly unique. Endless spells I have no idea really.  

I'm just spitballing here but overall at most that's 9 new kits plus terrain piece and endless spells which is pretty much in line with the other Malign Portents Harbingers army releases. 

4 hours ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

I agree with a fair few of the posts so far as to what the new battletome/releases will entail. Here's my 2 cents as to the updates.

Hero wise is already pretty set. There's: Archaon, Chaos Lord/Sorcerer on foot & on Manticore, Gaunt Summoner, Darkoath Warchief/Warqueen and Daemon Prince (maybe Belakor with a resculpt). I think that both the Exalted Hero and Chaos lord on Daemonic Mount will be discontinued and replaced with a mounted Varanguard "Lieutenant" and a Darkoath Shaman in the same vein as Theddra. 

Units wise: Chaos Knights, both flavours of Chariot, Warshrine and Varanguard sculpts all hold up. Chaos Warriors, Marauders and Marauder Horsemen will get resculpts. Even though the Horsemen sculpts still hold up, they won't fit the aesthetic of the new Marauders as seen in the Godsworn Hunt. Marauders will be hand weapon and shield with X amount of Great Weapons per 20 or the option to give them bows instead. Chosen will probably be replaced by an Everchosen elite foot unit that fulfils a similar role. Perhaps also Chaos doggo unit similar to Gruul. Not sure if "stateless" daemons/units like Soul Grinders, Furies (with a resculpt) and Warhounds will be included.

Rules wise, while not the same, they'll probably be in the same design space as Beasts of Chaos. Separate allegiance abilities/command traits/artefacts for Everchosen, Slaves to Darkness and Darkoath. Spell Lore with a smaller one exclusively for Darkoath Shaman or Gaunt Summoner perhaps? Similar battalion set up with one focused on each sub-faction, a few that mesh sub-factions together and four god specific ones as well. Terrain piece would probably be a Chaos Shrine that has effects in the same vein as the Herdstone but obviously distinctly unique. Endless spells I have no idea really.  

I'm just spitballing here but overall at most that's 9 new kits plus terrain piece and endless spells which is pretty much in line with the other Malign Portents Harbingers army releases. 

I hope you're right.... My wallet wants some extra room in it that can only be provided by this type of release!

Brief more tactical question: 

How have people felt about the Slaves battalions? They don't quite seem generally useful enough for their cost to me...

The extra fight phase seems the most useful, but limiting it to heroes/monsters makes it a bit hit-or-miss

The laser cannon shrine is only ~4 mortals per turn even if you max it out. Does get you a 1 drop battalion though.

The MW on extra charge seems the also a bit situational. RAW it appears like you could use it once everyone is already stuck in to do d3/d6 MW to everything you are already fighting. Maybe useful later in the game? But still ~10 MW seems a steep price.

There also aren't a ton of useful artifacts and the command points are better bought just as is. 

17 hours ago, Frowny said:

Brief more tactical question: 

How have people felt about the Slaves battalions? They don't quite seem generally useful enough for their cost to me...

The extra fight phase seems the most useful, but limiting it to heroes/monsters makes it a bit hit-or-miss

The laser cannon shrine is only ~4 mortals per turn even if you max it out. Does get you a 1 drop battalion though.

The MW on extra charge seems the also a bit situational. RAW it appears like you could use it once everyone is already stuck in to do d3/d6 MW to everything you are already fighting. Maybe useful later in the game? But still ~10 MW seems a steep price.

There also aren't a ton of useful artifacts and the command points are better bought just as is. 

Yeah those battalions are in desperate need of reworking. As I said before I'm guessing there'll be one for Everchosen, Slaves to Darkness and Darkoath respectively. A few that mesh those separate sub-factions together, and then one for each Chaos god. The god specific ones could just be re-purposed versions of the ones from the Everchosen battletome.   

• Like 1

My predictions for the Darkoath/ Everchosen/ STD release are:

likley:

Darkoath barbarians- replace the marauder kit, Great weapons or hand weapon and shield, could be a dual kit with ranged Darkoath, Bows/ Javelins but more likely 2 kits (see Idoneth Namarti)

Mounted Darkoath - replace marauder horsemen, hand weapons and javelins 

Godspeaker - new Darkoath wizard

New Darkoath hero of somekind, mounted on a monster or riding a chariot (warqueen on chariot Boudicca style) 

Varanguard on foot - replace chosen as the heavy infantry of the army 

Sack off the rest of the resin hero’s and make options in both the varanguard kits to make champions of the Varanguard as hero’s 

Terrain - not sure what this could be 

endless spells - 2 Darkoath themed, 2 Everchosen themed

Unlikley:

New chaos warrior sculpts that are less static

new possessed (jealous of the new 40k ones) 

New hero for each other god that’s both demon and mortal similar to the gaunt summoners (could be existing heros, Deathbringers, Harbingers of decay, ones that are slightly demonic already) 

new demon prince kit feat. Belakor, Archaons greatest general/ nemesis as well as a heap more weapon options, Sword, Axe, Spear, shield. 

Extremly unlikely:

Return of the mammoth

with all the likley options added in it should cover most bases giving the army a range of infantry, Calvary, hero’s and Behemoth’s, including a few support pieces and plenty of wizards 

• Like 3

I don't think the marauder horsemen will get replaced. It's relatively new.

Though there could be a Dark Oath "monstrous mount" set like SCE Dracoth or Pusgolye Blightlords with options to make a hero.

Though speaking of that I wonder if Chaos Lords on Chariots will ever come back. It seems strange to me they "demoted" it to a Unit Leader....when you almost never would want to run a multi chariot unit anyways so by default you gain the additional benefits for being a unit leader in a single model unit!

It's be interesting if they somehow revived the Forsaken Set. Surely the mold actually still exists right?

Edited by kenshin620

On 3/2/2019 at 9:24 PM, BaronBanana said:

It'd be pretty neat to see Darkoath heroes riding mammoths like the haradrim on the mumakil

I would love to see darkoath riding sabre tooth tigers or something to that effect

Honestly, I would love to see new Forsaken and some monstrous infrantry like Chaos Troggoths.

Also a Lord of Chaos on a Chaos Dragon... C'mon GW, you know that we want a massive centerpiece like this!

Darkoath Godspeaker as a new wizard is pretty sure, according to Godsworn Hunt warscroll for AoS. Also, looking at the warscroll... New hounds on small bases?
According to "Warqueen" novel - Warqueen on a chariot pulled by huge wolves?

The Darkoath barbarians will replace the Marauder kits - the "Godsworn Warband" have no Marauders in it, so I think that what's inside the box will still be here when the Slaves to Darkness/Everchosen/Darkoath battletome will drop. What's not inside, is at risk of being phased out/replaced (except for heroes, naturally - maybe some minis will change, but the Sorcerer and the Lord of Chaos will stay with us for some time, I guess).

I think that the Chosen will be replaced by Varanguard without mounts. I would prefer something like this rather than see them disappear completely. 

Maybe... just maybe... The Hellcannon will return? A man can still hope!

Terrain piece... Have no idea, because we already have an altar dedicated  to the Chaos Gods with the Chaos Warshrine. 
Maybe some sort of demonic portal? Chaos Temple (like, you know, "demonic" Stonehenge)? Who knows!

• Like 1

A chaos lord or sorcerer lord on a 2 headed chaos dragon is a good shout as a centre piece. The old 2 headed chaos dragon doesnt have a place in AOS at the moment which is a shame.

Lords riding chariots would also be great, especially if you can upgrade to daemonic steeds (Juggernauts, Discs of Tzeentch, etc) like in the good old days. Ive been meaning to convert one of my old chariots to be pulled by a juggernaut to count as a Gorebeast chariot in my khorne army. Would love if this could double as Lord on Chariot in a Slaves army. 

On 3/7/2019 at 2:18 PM, HMB said:

in my worst nightmare we'll see 2 endless spell, 1 terrain, and the battletome

I think we can be fairly certain there will be more than just that as the other 3 heralds have all received  a whole bunch of kits with about 10 or so new kits each so a release to introduce the new darkoath with new Darkoath barbarians, darkoath hunters(ranged kit), Darkoath horsemen darkoath godspeaker, varanguard on foot, new chaos warriors new demon prince and another Darkoath hero as well as terrain and spells wouldn’t be too far from the other 3 releases 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 12:43 AM, inkwell said:

My only worry is Oath won’t get Mark synergy.... weakening Slaves to Darkness hero synergy with Oath

Who knows if the ability to mark units will stay altogether?

It is not entirely unlikely that it will be gone or replaced with another system.

Something tells me Warcry will be involved in whatever chaos update is happening

GAMAReveals-Mar11-Warcry9gce.jpg

In the game, you’ll follow the myriad tribes of Chaos – reavers and despoilers from every corner of the realms – as they make their dark pilgrimage to the Varanspire. Warcry explores a never-before-seen side of life (and death!) in the Age of Sigmar. Every model for this game is brand new, reflecting on the dizzying diversity of Chaos on a scale never attempted before and rooted in rich lore that realises the servants of the Dark Gods as deep and varied cultures.  

• Like 2