AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

6 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

I think Darkoath may become a keyword, but will not be separate from Slaves to Darkness or whatever the heck the Undivided army will be called. I can't really see them becoming a full on faction, unless it's a relatively "micro" faction like Daughters of Khaine which relies a lot on dual kits (5 dual kits+character is the entire army). 

At the moment we see 6-7 possible units with the released models (not counting at old barbarians)

• Warqueen
  • Chieftain
  • God Speaker
  • Barbarians with Javelins
  • Barbarians with Bows
  • Barbarians with Greatweapons
  • Units of Dogs
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, EMMachine said:
  • Barbarians with Javelins
  • Barbarians with Bows

Maybe it's my personal preference, but I find alternate weapons=new unit a little cheatsy. Free People would be a pretty "large" army if they separated the freeguild guard into 4 units! (well ok thats how the empire used to work). 

Also I actually think Warhounds won't be replaced since they already repacked them literally last year. Seems weird to do that, while at the same time not repacking things like Dragon Ogors or Chimeras. Unless "chaos hunting dogs" is a completely different thing. Or they do a Gryph Hound and they're 1 model companions/summoned units for heroes.

I mean not everything in Underworlds becomes a thing, the Squigs that accompany Mollog are all unique. And also Grot Scuttlings have also not become a thing.

Plus the recent battletomes have been more soupy as of late with both BoC and GG having 3 or more army general keyword options, and even NH has that weird LoN thing going on.

UNLESS they pull off a NH and many DO units are also part Slaves to Darkness but a pure DO army has it's own unique mechanics/battlelines.

I am more inclined to the option that Darkoath will replace marauders.  They fill the same niche of unarmored barbaric warriors of the Dark Gods. Maybe we could see a change for Chaos Warriors to again become more elite (in combat prowess, not battleline status) units. It could go like that:

- hordes of Darkoath barbarians,

- medium units of Chaos Warriors

- small, elite units of Varanguard and new Everchosen Lords,

- and finally ARCHAON!

Edited by michu
  • LOVE IT! 1

I would love to see darkoath get a lot of support but I doubt it.  The chariots and the war shrine fit well aesthetically with the darkoath models.   I think we will get a  war queen on a chariot and replacements for the marauder infantry and calvary.  

I don't see Forge World rereleasing the War Mammoth any time soon if ever. 

It would be wonderful if GW would release a plastic mammoth for Darkoath.  Scale it down to fit on a 170mm oval base like the Stardrake and give it a unique spin to make it more IP friendly since they don't like to release generic stuff these days. Add darkoath icons and crew, name it Darkoath Warbeast or something.

That and a Chaos dragon with an option to use it on its own or mounted by an Everchosen warlord or sorcerer.

13 hours ago, Infernalslayer said:

GW, please, Just release a MUMATH with some darkoath on top of it: it is almost ZERO work for you (just put 2 already released darkoath warbands on it) and the mumath is superb and fits well with StD/EC/DO !!

If you don't do it....I'll do it myself (and call it war mamuth)

41 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

GW, please, Just release a MUMATH with some darkoath on top of it: it is almost ZERO work for you (just put 2 already released darkoath warbands on it) and the mumath is superb and fits well with StD/EC/DO !!

If you don't do it....I'll do it myself (and call it war mamuth)

You mean the Mumak? I'm pretty sure they legally can't.

A very popular theory on why LOTR is 25mm scale isn't of 28mm (heroic 28mm to be more precise) is because New Line Cinema (the people who own the rights to the LOTR Movies) made sure the parts couldn't be swapped between LOTR and warhammer easily.

Someone can correct me though on that, thats the rumor I've been hearing for years. Maybe in the end it was because the LOTR GW team liked the look of 25mm scale.

Well on the topic of wishlist/predictions, assuming it is a total undivided update, this is what I think

Marauder Champions box (great weapons) Could possibly replace normal marauders too (so hand weapons/shields)

Marauder Hunters box (bows/javelins. Maybe some dogs).

Generic God Speaker model (maybe? Most Underworld models have generic versions...except Briar Queen. She is 100% unique, but then again many people blame the Nighthaunt book to be disorganized and rushed)

Mounted Darkoath model (either generic or special character). While some mentioned the wolf chariot, methinks GW might want to go more fantastical with some form of daemonic mounts or other chaos beasties.

New Chosen/Aspiring Champions/Foot Varanguard. Premium set (could range from tzaangor enlightened to Exalted Sorcerers expensive) with many options, can even be used to make your own chaos lords/sorcerer lords.

1-2 Centerpiece kits. Some form of Darkoath beast like as previously mentioned (mammoth or some fantasy animal with people riding on top). Chaos Dragon would be great too since they do exist in AoS and they still have 2 heads. And chaos dragon models haven't been updated in forever, not counting FW's Warp Fire and the 1200pt khorne one.

Usual Endless Spells.

Maybe a terrain piece. Both BoC and GG have them, but SCE and Nighthaunt don't. Could be 50-50. My bet would either be some Chaos Shrine (super buff warshrine) or Chaos Realm Gate (so undivided can have summoning? or access to basic lesser daemons?).

Another thing I'm curious about either involving chaos chosen or some other kit, do you think there would be some female chaos warriors? They do indeed exist, even in WFB we have Valkia the Bloody. And the SCE Sequitor Box shows GW can make mixed gender boxes. Be interesting to see if they'll do that. DO kits may be more likely to have mix genders I suppose.

Edited by kenshin620

15 hours ago, Infernalslayer said:

That model was 375 pounds and solid when it was around. they only sold a handfull of them and I bet there's more around now than have  ever sold from forgeworld - much like the khorne dragon  ... 

35 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

You mean the Mumak? I'm pretty sure they legally can't.

I bet he means the mammoth. :)

To re-release the mammoth would be a big re-engineering exercise but not impossible.  The could make the body soplit and hollow for a start - it would drive costs down (priced according to volume of resin not complexity)  and also not destroy moulds the way the old one did.

I do hope we get a nice chaos lord on dragon - I do miss that, but dear god don't make it like the two headed old chaos dragon  - In my eyes that was terrible, sorry to say.

The aesthetic of the khorne dragon though? now we're talking :)

21 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Maybe it's my personal preference, but I find alternate weapons=new unit a little cheatsy. Free People would be a pretty "large" army if they separated the freeguild guard into 4 units! (well ok thats how the empire used to work).  

If both units would cost the same at the end it could be one unit. In case of Free People. Free Guild Crossbowmen and Freeguild Handgunners are one box but two Warscrolls as well as Freeguild Pistoliers and Freeguild Outriders. And in both cases the compared warscrolls the same point costs.

I originally posted this on the Underworlds subforum, but perhaps this is more relevant here:

I just got my [Godsworn Hunt] warband, and I notice that they are on 32mm bases (except Doggo the Good Dog). 

I wonder what this means for a potential future Darkoath release. I mean, I took it for granted that these models are marauders, who are on 25mm bases. Perhaps this warband is reflecting some other unit? 🤔

45 minutes ago, Sete said:

If Darkoath and Everchosen are in the same book, center piece will be Archeon.

Archaon is like Nagash: exceptional center piece, exceptional also in a sens that you can't put him very often because of his points price.

They need an intermediate centerpiece, size of Mamuth or bigger than a mounted manticore (points around 300/400ish..). If they don't, it is not that bad as I can:

- put a chaos god (so many wonderful options: GUO, LoC, etc...even a glottkin (I'm so in love with this mini) etc...)

- put some chaos big pieces : (proxi) mamuth (mumath here), giant (chaos gargan) , cygor, gorghon....

And you know what? each of those addition make me switch allegiance and play kinda "new" army.

ton of fun in  my future :P

I had yesterday my first game with my slaves since over 8 Months.  And it was a blast!

Short background: I started around a year ago with StD to play AoS. We had a local campain back there and even a small local tournament at out local gw. But I noticed quite fast that my StD are lacking some heavy punching power against a lot of armies. I had at this point a Lord on Manticore, 30 Warriors, Chariot and Knights + Sorcerer as my army, which even was enough to get 2 wins at out local tournament I mentioned. But after the campaign ended I noticed quite fast that in a lot of match ups I was simply not able to do anything due to the lack of shooting or rend. So I decided to jump on the God-Train and mixed quite a lot of Khorne into my StD, playing also Khorne Alligience since that time. I did get some Choosen and a Lord on Pony in the meantime, but mostly relied on a Slaughterpriest and the other Khorne-Buff Heroes.

Yesterday I played a 2k Game against a friend who started pretty new into AoS a month ago. Perfect situation to play my "lackluster" army. I played to fun, keeping the Alligience-StD table as a main priority without loosing focus on mission Objective (The sixt one from GHB with the 3 stars coming down). And this ended in an game I enjoyed like long time not more. I took as many heroes as I could and tried to let them finish his beasts and heroes so they may ascend or at least gain a bit of their gods attention. It ended up in some weird activation patterns ("Yeah, I could kill your troglodon easy with my knights, but I won´t so my Lord can attempt it on the next turn again"), facepalms ("What the...wait a second...I need to kill your Hero with a Combat Weapon? No Magic? How is this supposed to please Tzwwntch anyway? Nevermind, I guess my Sorcerer Killstealed that Troglodon") and generaly a lot of fun ("My Lord kills your general and....wait, he failed all hits? Damn...yeah, sure, activate him...how many saves?...ugh....I have rerolls...but I guess my Lord is a Spawn now").

So, overall, I ended playing the army in the intended way: Seeking Chaos glory whilst slaying my foes. I even won due to objectives (6x5 Warriors is damn handy for Objective Missions) and will play them more, even before the rumoured Darkoath drops :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting thing I noticed in the back of the new Lifestone kids book for sigmar that just released is it has an appendix, which has some blurb about the factions in the book. Darkoath is mentioned there and says they roam with troll packs. Could be the return of chaos trolls? 👌🏻

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 2/18/2019 at 2:48 PM, Kaleb Daark said:

Fimir should definitely be chaos, not that destruction nonsense.

While I like Fimir, I would rather have GW finally re support chaos dwarfs first. If 40k can get genestealer cults back, I don't see why chaos dwarfs can't! Especially since now they can get really crazy with tech.

(something something they want all new fantasy nothing from old warhammer something something....😵)

On 1/28/2019 at 9:02 AM, Bohemond said:

I originally posted this on the Underworlds subforum, but perhaps this is more relevant here:

I just got my [Godsworn Hunt] warband, and I notice that they are on 32mm bases (except Doggo the Good Dog). 

I wonder what this means for a potential future Darkoath release. I mean, I took it for granted that these models are marauders, who are on 25mm bases. Perhaps this warband is reflecting some other unit? 🤔

I think the basic marauder kit will still be used, but supplemented by new kits like Archer Barbarians and Greatweapon Barbarians. (plus more conan like than viking) And I do think Darkoath will get new kits, much like Gloomspite, SCE, and Nighthaunt, as they have the Herald.

So far in AoS it seems that

Herald=Lots of new kits

No Herald=Little to no new kits (I sure love resin sculpts from 6th edition!)