AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Many years ago I was a Warriors of Chaos player and so have amassed a large amount of warriors, knights, chariots, marauders & marauder horsemen. I have rarely run them as slaves for the reasons stated above but like you they for a nice core to draw from and experiment with as when you put them in a god aligned army and buff them with the right heroes they can certainly go well.

Knights for example go really well with a bloodsecrator &  bloodstoker in a khorne army. With extra movement, an extra attack and rerolling 1's to wound they suddenly are really good value at 160 points. If you take a Slaves lord on daemonic mount and/or a slaughter priest to buff their hit rolls they become dynamite.

"Greetings mighty Warlords and Insidious cult leaders !

I have come here seeking your wisdom for the greater glory of Chaos !"

*Cough, cough In a less dramatic voice :) *

My main army are the fluffy, drunk and always angry Beat of Chaos, and as such I always adored the Skin Wolf models from Forge World. Their rules are pretty solid as well so overall that unit is something I would love to get my furry, beastly hands on.

The thing though is that, and here I need some of your help, I dunno how the old Warriors of Chaos transitioned into AoS.

Do I assume correctly that they have become the faction currently known as Slaves of Darkness... ? And as such things that were part of the "old WoC" are also part of the SoD ?  Namely the aforementioned Skin Wolves ?

The thing with the Skin Wolves though is that under the GW Warscroll Builder, the Skin Wolves are still listed as "Warriors of Chaos" unit, but the faction itself no longer exists as it used to be. I mean sure logically we can say they are the SoD now, but how is it for current rule and army building legitimacy purposes ?

Sadly (and as stupid as it is) the new Beastmen can ally with and only with Slaves of Darkness (no Demons, no Khornlads, no Archaon, etc), but since the Skin Wolves are listed as WoC can I use them "legally" in a BoC army ? I mean this is the whole Rules as written and Rules as Intended thing... you know :/

In friendly games, people will just wave it off saying "SoD is WoC so just use them if you like em" but I wanted to ask the actual SoD players about this.

Thanks in advance for any advice-info you can share on this

Edited by Myrdin

18 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I'd like also to have one. Unfortunately, there is none. The solution that I probably use is the (amazing) War Mûmak™ Of Harad.

Maybe I'll add some chaos bits to make it looks like chaos mamuth...

i'm hoping the drarkoth get a new plastic one as a centerpiece  

• LOVE IT! 1

Well there goes that strategy!

Q: If I give the Mark of the All-favoured from General’s Handbook 2018to a Daemon Prince or Chaos Lord, does a Daemon Prince get all four Immortal Champion abilities or a Chaos Lord get all four Mark of Chaos abilities?

A: No.

There is really not very much reason currently to run Slaves to Darkness, gotta wait for that new book 🤧

Hi, new around here. I'm thinking about starting AoS with Slaves to Darkness. 

I'm not that familiar with the new AoS lore yet, but in general, I'm a fan of history/fantasy mish-mash themes (one thing I liked about the old WHFB setting is that most factions were inspired by Real Life historical civilizations in one way or another). I like the fantastical elements to be more on the Low Fantasy side of things. Now, from what I've gathered so far, the AoS setting seems to go more along the route of "pure" fantasy, with more bombastic and larger-than-life models and purely fantastical factions (Idoneth, Kharadron Overlords etc).

My question is if a more mundane, low-key army with a Real Life history theme and look would still be doable aesthetics-wise, or if it would look badly out of place. What I am envisioning is a Chaos Marauder army with a Germanic/Scandinavian flair, whose core troops (not the monsters and Chosen Warriors obiously) would look like a raiding force from Dark Age Northern Europe, using SAGA historical miniatures. I'm thinking these guys as Chaos Marauders: 

Spoiler

hqdefault.jpg

Picture2_GBP-001B.jpg

And these guys as Chaos Marauder Horsemen: 

Spoiler

GBP21_Goth_Noble_Cavalry_84029jpeg.jpg

GBP21_Goth_Noble_Cavalry_63615jpeg.jpg

Strictly aesthetically speaking, would those guys pass as a Slaves to Darkness Marauder army? Does the fluff describe a variety of cultural flavors for Chaos-worshipping average mortals, or does everyone have to be a muscular, half-naked, Frank Frazetta-esque Barbarian? 

• Like 2

Honestly I'd reckon AoS is BETTER to have a variety of humans than WFB. In WFB you were very much stuck with medieval/renaissance humans limited to "totally not europe" (well sure you had araby but they never got much love, and the "totally not asia" armies had little reason to interact with the old world, let alone new world!), but now with 7 whole planes to work that are many times larger than the WFB world (the 8th being Azyr, which is Order only) you could have humans from all sort of tech or background with some restraint of course (like post late 1600's is pushing it, unless it's pirates cause pirates are timeless!)

Bonjour

For 2019, my new years resolution is to do a "bad guy" army, and see it through to a finished painted 2000 points. It's not going to be a finely honed tournament list, I have my SCE for that, but I'd like it to be fun to play. It has a definite NO DAEMONS theme!

I've always had a soft spot for non god specific chaos doods, so the battleforce grabbed my attention as a great value buy. I also love the look of gorebeast chariots so I managed to find a Harbingers of Ruin box as well. It's not going to be a finely honed tournament list, I have my SCE for that, but I'd like it to be fun to play. With some conversions planned, I have 1800 points so far.

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
- General
- Trait: Master of Deception 
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
Chaos Sorcerer Lord On Manticore (200)
Exalted Hero Of Chaos (80)

Battleline
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Chaos Glaives
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
10 x Chaos Warriors (180)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield

Units
3 x Chaos Gorebeast Chariots (300)
- Greatblade
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)

Battalions
Godsworn Champions of Ruin (170)

Total: 1800 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 5
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 135

Questions!

Unsure what to get for the last 200 points. I really like the look of the BoC Ghorgon, Slaughterpriests, Marauder Horsemen, or just a fat block of 40 Marauders... Open to any other suggestions, the only stipulation is no Daemons.
Thoughts?

Is it worth taking the Battalion?  I'm mainly thinking of drop reduction and the extra cp/artefact.

What are the preferred marks of chaos to go for? The only one I'm firm on is Tzeentch on the Lord on Mount for the rerolling non rendable 4+, but the others I'm undecided on. Is it best to go mono mark? or give heroes and units different marks dependant on their role?

Hand weapon and shield on the knights? Or great weapon? And unit sizes? 1x10 & 1x5? or 1x15? or 3x5?

And the chariots? 1 big unit to maximize command point use?

That's all for now, I'll probably think of some more soon!

Hi AdamR, you French? 

BTW, I did almost the same except I took the Start collecting in place of the chariot box.

So, my list is pretty close to yours. I'm not a big fans of daemons also. But....

But I also took thoose slave to play (later) the big chaos guys. Because I love the minis. This is my long term vision.

For your question, I answered myself a very simple way: it is something that I love and, while it is technicaly a daemon, it fits superbly to this army. As a bonus it is a superb addition to my 40k projects. I am calling the ..... Daemon prince!!

I took 2.

- they are a superb and thematic addition to this army

- they are one of the best chaos unit in both aos and 40K

- they can be magnetized easy

- they have several looks inside the kit.

- they're adding some nice strategic features to our army, being fast and flying

- they are wizards/psykers

etc...

I can't recommand you enough this solution.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 8:48 AM, COVEN said:

It's my impression that GW aren't interested in Chaos being grey but being that insidious and constant threat to "the good guys, ehich which isn't helped by the insistence of telling most stories through the eyes of l"the good guys." Even in Cathay the worship of Tzeentch was described to us narratively as nefarious and cancerous.

The mentality I want to explore is how this Chaos based "city" sees the Stormcast and Sigmar as Tyrants and warmongers.

Do you think it's plausible if the perfect balance was struck between the gods that type of thing could be a thriving community?

I realise I arrive quite late in that, and I will try to catch up with the rest of the thread, but I love your idea ! I might pinch some of it as well :D

18 hours ago, Trav said:

Ruinbringer warband, does anyone use it? How have you found it? It looks tricky to pull of the charge, what is the best way to do it? 

Cheers! 

It’s cool but gimmicky.  If you are playing a casual game, it’ll be fun to use.  However the only uses I see in it are with masses gorebeast chariots.  

It gives you the ability to charge in the hero phase and you get D3 mortal wounds.  You can’t attack, only charge, which means you already had to be in position your previous turn.

So you combine it with the impact hits of the chariots to possibly kill low wound heroes or a heavily crippled unit to allow additional movement and damage in the hero phase. 

Hey there ive been playing dwarves and stormcast for a while and really just need a change both those srmies just feel boring to me now and i want something new. 

I also want to do this new one as a challenge and run it on a budget. Its 450 dollars to amass the biggest army i can with an effective 2000 point list. The 450 obviously will get 20% off because yay american stores.

I wound up with a pretty cheap combo list

Chaos lord on manticore

lord of slaanesh on daemonic mount

lord of slaanesh on foot

sayl the faithless

chaos sorcerer lord

Chaos lord on daemonic mount

3 x5 chaos warriors

20 chaos knights slaanesh

Cogs

And its a buff the knights and pile drive them twice into your enemy and hope to win after.

obviously that might be a fun gimmick but it seems like hot garbage. Is there a better way i can run a busget army like this in chaos?