AoS 2 - Clan Skyre Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Just now, Gwendar said:

Warpfire throwers are great, assuming you can drill them up with gautfyre or can place them behind a screen of some sort, I wouldn't convert mine unless you take the ends off to put on stormfiends for more projectors. 

On the stormfiend subject, I agree and it's why I've decided to chop off the ratling gun bits off my stormfiends and replace them with grinderfists. I rarely pull more than ~3 wounds after saves with ratling guns meanwhile having 1 unit of 3 grinderfists has the possibility of doing ~10 and with so many people using cogs nowadays, there's a good chance you can get +2 to charge. 

Grinderfists are really nice. Flat 3 damage at -2 rend is silly. This is my Stormfiend setup, in the list I'm building towards. May swap the Packmaster and Palisade for a plague priest instead, as I dislike a unit that only buffs a few others. And it's fluffy. 

Allegiance: Skryre
Arch Warlock (140)
Warlock Engineer (100)
- General
- Trait: Masterful Scavenger 
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector
Packmaster (60)
- Shock-Prod
- Allies
3 x Stormfiends (290)
  - Warpfire Projectors 
3 x Stormfiends (290)
  - Grinderfists 
3 x Stormfiends (290)
  - Shock Gauntlets 
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team(70)
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team(70)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
- Allies
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 300 / 400
Wounds: 126

2 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I'm not a huge fan of free mortal wounds, I guess. Maybe Gautfyre has just soured me to them.

Gautfyre is dated, and easily countered if ou know what you're doing. Mortal wounds are the only way Skryre can compete with most of the new meta. They're also the only one who can bring em on nearly every unit, like the list I have up there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I'm not a huge fan of free mortal wounds, I guess. Maybe Gautfyre has just soured me to them.

You're playing Skryre, take what you can get?

Nah, I understand. I don't do gautfyre anymore. I did it in a local tourney a few months back and no one was happy, even though 2 of the games came pretty close. But MW's are definitely what keep you competitve.

Also @RaritanAnon How have the monks been doing? I'm going to be trying 40 Gutter Runners and I wonder how their combat performances compare. I think I'll prefer 3 grinders; doomflayers just aren't consistent enough (same as ratling guns) to make me like them.

Edited by Gwendar

Just now, Gwendar said:

You're playing Skryre, take what you can get?

Nah, I understand. I don't do gautfyre anymore. I did it in a local tourney a few months back and no one was happy, even though 2 of the games came pretty close. Also @RaritanAnon How the monks been doing? I'm going to be trying 40 Gutter Runners and I wonder how they're combat performances compare. I think I'll prefer 3 grinders; doomflayers just aren't consistent enough (same as ratling guns) to make me like them.

I've just finished building mine and basecoating them so I'll let you know. Lol. I like the idea of a mobile horde that's backed up by others. They're there to die, everything else is there to blast mortals at everything else. Maybe a Lifeswarm? 

Hi all

Still trying to fit a double gascloud in a list for some free long-range MW. What do you guys think of the following attempt at a skryre-moulder list?

Allegiance: Skryre
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Arch Warlock (140)
- Artefact: Ruby Ring

Clan Skryre (80)

Gascloud 1

Gascloud Chokelung (70)

Warlock Engineer (100)
- General
- Trait: Overseer of Destruction
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales

3 x Stormfiends (290)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)

2 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (120)

Gascloud 2

Gascloud Chokelung (70)

Warlock Engineer (100)
3 x Stormfiends (290)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)

2 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (120)

Moulder allies

Packmaster (60)
- Shock-Prod

5 x Wolf Rats (100)
5 x Wolf Rats (100)
10 x Giant Rats (60)
10 x Giant Rats (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 127

Cheers

So i was thinking of starting a 1000 pts skrye army, because im intrested in the elite army aspect.

So far i was thinking about an base with an arch-warlock, a pack  master and 2x3 stormfiends, though im not sure what i should get with the last 220 pts.

I could get an cannon though they dont seem worth it without the batallion that lets them double shoot?

I would rather try to avoid using big blobs of clanrats but if thats needed to keep the army playable i will do so.

46 minutes ago, ThePie said:

So i was thinking of starting a 1000 pts skrye army, because im intrested in the elite army aspect.

So far i was thinking about an base with an arch-warlock, a pack  master and 2x3 stormfiends, though im not sure what i should get with the last 220 pts.

I could get an cannon though they dont seem worth it without the batallion that lets them double shoot?

I would rather try to avoid using big blobs of clanrats but if thats needed to keep the army playable i will do so.

If you're going for an elite list perhaps a Balewind Vortex for your Arch Warlock to sit atop and laugh maniacally from while raining down warp lightning at an extended range, an engineer to give a vigor dust injector to who can follow a unit of Stormfiends (while also pumping out d6 mortal wounds a turn), then either grab a box of Storm Vermin, Blood Bowl dudes or whatever you feel like to convert into groups of 5 Acolytes to act as objective huggers and area deniers (for teleporting ghosts, ninja rats or nurgle boys who want to flank you from behind) in the back field while your meat goes into enemy lines? They can also be nice just to act as a cheap third battle line unit if you choose to expand your Skryre force beyond 1000 points.

I would have suggested mortars (as they can help deal with larger chaff units and ignore things like the grave tide, palisade and the new rules for trees as they don't need line of sight to fire) or warpfire throwers but they're a devil to get ahold of at the moment, at least in plastic.

Edited by Ratzinkaiser

2 hours ago, Oldmanlee said:

Belive they where all warpfire 

Is melee even worth running on the stormfiends then or is it just better to go all in on the warpfire?

If you choose melee, which loadout do you guys prefere and why?

Edited by Magma

7 hours ago, Ratzinkaiser said:

If you're going for an elite list perhaps a Balewind Vortex for your Arch Warlock to sit atop and laugh maniacally from while raining down warp lightning at an extended range, an engineer to give a vigor dust injector to who can follow a unit of Stormfiends (while also pumping out d6 mortal wounds a turn), then either grab a box of Storm Vermin, Blood Bowl dudes or whatever you feel like to convert into groups of 5 Acolytes to act as objective huggers and area deniers (for teleporting ghosts, ninja rats or nurgle boys who want to flank you from behind) in the back field while your meat goes into enemy lines? They can also be nice just to act as a cheap third battle line unit if you choose to expand your Skryre force beyond 1000 points.

I would have suggested mortars (as they can help deal with larger chaff units and ignore things like the grave tide, palisade and the new rules for trees as they don't need line of sight to fire) or warpfire throwers but they're a devil to get ahold of at the moment, at least in plastic.

Hmm i see, very good tips there.  On another question, when playing at 2000 pts, which enginecovens are best? Seems to me that chokelung and voltik seems like the easiest ones to get value out of, and easiest to upgrade into when going from 1000 to 2000.

And another question, for example if i have a unit of stormfiends with shock gauntlets, and they are buffed by both a vigordust injector and a pack master, will they then trigger extra attacks on a 4+? Because that seems pretty extreme (and funny)

29 minutes ago, ThePie said:

Hmm i see, very good tips there.  On another question, when playing at 2000 pts, which enginecovens are best? Seems to me that chokelung and voltik seems like the easiest ones to get value out of, and easiest to upgrade into when going from 1000 to 2000.

And another question, for example if i have a unit of stormfiends with shock gauntlets, and they are buffed by both a vigordust injector and a pack master, will they then trigger extra attacks on a 4+? Because that seems pretty extreme (and funny)

Yes it is possible 

also if you trigger the ability and make 6hits from the one attack, which all of them also wound and go through the armor, you can easily put out an additional 6damage thanks to the warpstone sparks.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

1 hour ago, Magma said:

Thanks :) What would you go for, if you wanted to run them without the packmaster(s)?

Probably with warpfire projectors or warpgrinders.

If I’d Go full out on skyre.

luckily I usually go for a mixed skaven army.

if you’re interested in fielding rattling guns, I would take a t least 2plague priest with them, give your warlord the lord of war trait and take an chaos sorcerer lord to your army.

now you have a unit that those 9d6attacks which hit on 3s, wound on /2s and you can reroll ones to hit and to wound. 

This  unit will now obliterate any Unit.

the combo also works rather good without the sorcerer lord.

5 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Yes it is possible 

also if you trigger the ability and make 6hits from the one attack, which all of them also wound and go through the armor, you can easily put out an additional 6damage thanks to the warpstone sparks.

How are you getting an extra 6 damage by using a spark? Even if you roll a 6 and turn 1 attack into d6 extra hits, the wording for sparks still seem to imply you can only add 1 damage of a single successful attack. I don't think getting a bunch of extra generated hits necessarily means you get +1 damage for each of those, if that makes sense. 

16 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

How are you getting an extra 6 damage by using a spark? Even if you roll a 6 and turn 1 attack into d6 extra hits, the wording for sparks still seem to imply you can only add 1 damage of a single successful attack. I don't think getting a bunch of extra generated hits necessarily means you get +1 damage for each of those, if that makes sense. 

Yeah but if I understand the rules right, an  attack consist of at List a hit Roll and a(or more) woundroll(s),

in other word those 6hits would be a part of the attack.

if you also wound all 6, and he didn’t save any, you would have done a possible 18damage.

41 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Yeah but if I understand the rules right, an  attack consist of at List a hit Roll and a(or more) woundroll(s),

in other word those 6hits would be a part of the attack.

if you also wound all 6, and he didn’t save any, you would have done a possible 18damage.

I don't know, I feel they faq'd it for a reason as it worked exceptionally well with ratling guns and shock gauntlets respectively. I believe one successful attack means just one hit/wound/save roll. Not d6 worth being part of one "attack" as they are all separate hit\wounds\saves and it's only considered a successful attack when damage is allocated after saves. 

I mean, don't get me wrong I hope I'm not correct but that's what makes sense to me. 

Edited by Gwendar

14 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I don't know, I feel they faq'd it for a reason as it worked exceptionally well with ratling guns and shock gauntlets respectively. I believe one successful attack means just one hit/wound/save roll. Not d6 worth being part of one "attack" as they are all separate hit\wounds\saves and it's only considered a successful attack when damage is allocated after saves. 

I mean, don't get me wrong I hope I'm not correct but that's what makes sense to me. 

Yeah, but there is no rule stating, that a successful attack can’t have more then one hit or wound role, so in other words it should be possible

and the shock gauntlets ability only says that a to hit of 6 or more will count as d6 hits instead of 1 and not d6 attacks

Okay, so ive decided of a base with 1 Arch-Warlock & Warlock Engineer and 2x3 storm fiends (3 with warpfire projectors and 3 with shock gauntlets)

Still unsure what i should get with the last 180 pts for my 1000 pts list.

A lightning cannon? Or perhaps a packmaster to further buff shock gauntlets and some rats for screen. Perhaps a poison wind mortar to hold backfield.. difficult choices

Edited by ThePie