AoS 2 - Clan Skyre Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hi all, I'm currently building a 1500 point Skryre list and was wondering if I could ask for some advice. I was considering taking a couple of Endless Spells, specifically the Spell Portal and the Shackles, in order to try and both slow down enemy units from trying to advance into my gunlines and allow my Arch-Warlock and his Engineers to sit back and fire their spells / realm spells through the portal (the Arch and one of the Engineers, the other one will be following Stormfiends around to Vigordust them).

Would it be a good use of 80 points or would they be better spent shoring up an allied unit of Clanrats from 20 to 40, or even add more Acolytes / Mortars? In addition is it worth taking the Clan Skryre battalion at this point level or should I leave it out for more flexibility?

List is;

Clan Skryre Battalion
Arch-Warlock (Esoteric Warp Resonator)
Arkhspark Voltik Enginecoven
Engineer
Warp Lightning Cannon

Gascloud Chokelung Enginecoven
Engineer (Vigordust Injector)
5x Acolytes
5x Acolytes
3x Stormfiends (either 3x Shock Gauntlet or 2x Gauntet + 1x warp fire)
Poison Wind Mortar

Allies
Packmaster
20 Clanrats (rusty spears)

Endless Spells
Umbral Spell Portal
Soulsnare Shackles

Bonus question - My Acolytes are all converted Blood Bowl players which were based on the 32mm bases they came with. With the new recommended base size should I consider putting them on 25mms? Same thing with my Arch-Warlock, who is a converted Mechanicus Dominus on a 50mm base rather than a 32mm

Edited by Ratzinkaiser

2 hours ago, Ratzinkaiser said:

Hi all, I'm currently building a 1500 point Skryre list and was wondering if I could ask for some advice. I was considering taking a couple of Endless Spells, specifically the Spell Portal and the Shackles, in order to try and both slow down enemy units from trying to advance into my gunlines and allow my Arch-Warlock and his Engineers to sit back and fire their spells / realm spells through the portal (the Arch and one of the Engineers, the other one will be following Stormfiends around to Vigordust them).

Would it be a good use of 80 points or would they be better spent shoring up an allied unit of Clanrats from 20 to 40, or even add more Acolytes / Mortars? In addition is it worth taking the Clan Skryre battalion at this point level or should I leave it out for more flexibility?

List is;

Clan Skryre Battalion
Arch-Warlock (Esoteric Warp Resonator)
Arkhspark Voltik Enginecoven
Engineer
Warp Lightning Cannon

Gascloud Chokelung Enginecoven
Engineer (Vigordust Injector)
5x Acolytes
5x Acolytes
3x Stormfiends (either 3x Shock Gauntlet or 2x Gauntet + 1x warp fire)
Poison Wind Mortar

Allies
Packmaster
20 Clanrats (rusty spears)

Endless Spells
Umbral Spell Portal
Soulsnare Shackles

Bonus question - My Acolytes are all converted Blood Bowl players which were based on the 32mm bases they came with. With the new recommended base size should I consider putting them on 25mms? Same thing with my Arch-Warlock, who is a converted Mechanicus Dominus on a 50mm base rather than a 32mm

I never see our covens/battalion have any significant use with anything under 2k; At that point you're probably better off with more bodies/firepower. This edition I am actually leaning away from them entirely other than gautfyre, which is still as good as it was. That said if you still want to give it a shot, I really can't see much room for improvement unless you spend that extra 30 points on a palisade to hide your wizards behind while they chuck things through the portal. Either that or drop the packmaster for more clanrats or another mortar+palisade maybe?

As for the basing question, I put all of my BB team rats ( I use them as Gutter Runners) on 25's just because I know I can get more attacks in and GR's are meant to be on 25's, but generally I would see complaints that your bases were under the recommended base size rather than a size or two above it. When it comes to acolytes who are really just there for shooting and will most likely die in 1 round of combat...I doubt it really matters. Of course, you could always get "that guy" who wants to give you a hard time about it so the choice is yours. 

Oh, and I also use a tech-priest for my arch-warlock and kept him on the 50mm but I've never seen anyone complain, everyone just loves the conversion and doesn't care. In reality, a larger base than recommended tends to hurt you more than it helps you when talking about a CC unit, but when it comes to wizards/ranged units that extra distance you have to measure from can be a difference, otherwise you are just creating a bigger profile for your miniature to stand on and hurting them in CC. See above section for "that guy" terms and conditions.

• Thanks 1

I have a list idea myself that I would love to run by everyone as well. I wanted something a little different than the standard, while maybe still being competitive enough (doubtful I would win a tournament, but enough to do well) to compete in this new edition ruled by heroes and magic.

Allegiance: Skryre
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
Warlock Engineer (100)
Grey Seer (100)
- Allies
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
- Allies
3 x Stormfiends - Warpfire(290)
3 x Stormfiends - Shock Gauntlets(290)
3 x Stormfiends - 2x Ratling 1x Grinder(290)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Doomwheel (120)
Doomwheel (120)
Umbral Spellportal (60)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 104

The idea is having the wizards stand behind the palisade screen and fire off spells through the portal while the Warpseer generates free giant rats for objectives. Everything else marches forward and does whatever it needs to do. Note that locally, people are fine with me proxying the Stormfiends to have whatever loadout I want; what I have listed is what they are physically equipped with.

So, thoughts? I don't own doomwheels but the idea of them sounds interesting. I also have 9 Jezzails, but I really am uncertain of their use now with the look out, sir rule. I also considered dropping 1 doomwheel to add in either: A ratling gun + CP to make use of the giant rats quicker, or a ratling + balewind for the arch warlock since the balewind now makes you one single model, I could still fire spells through the portal and with the realm spell the +1 spell would be helpful. Or I could get rid of both doomwheels for 2 cannons + balewind + another endless spell, shackles maybe?

Again, I want to be relatively competitive, but I've no clue on the doomwheels, I just thought they would be an interesting choice as a mobility unit since we have no cav (unless of course I roll 1's and 2's all the time...)

Choices, choices...

Edited by Gwendar

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

So, thoughts? I don't own doomwheels but the idea of them sounds interesting. 

I have a single doomwheel and to be honest I've always found it rather underwhelming in terms of damage output and it can be hard to get in a position where you can roll over enemy units. However, with the changes to shooting in the new edition I think they could certainly be used to disrupt enemy PewPew (TM) units while the rest of your army moves toward.

Beyond that I agree with the idea of using summoned giant rats to grab objectives and act as meatshield - the summoning changes is a great buff for the verminlord warpseer :)

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

I have a list idea myself that I would love to run by everyone as well. I wanted something a little different than the standard, while maybe still being competitive enough (doubtful I would win a tournament, but enough to do well) to compete in this new edition ruled by heroes and magic.

Allegiance: Skryre
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
Warlock Engineer (100)
Grey Seer (100)
- Allies
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
- Allies
3 x Stormfiends - Warpfire(290)
3 x Stormfiends - Shock Gauntlets(290)
3 x Stormfiends - 2x Ratling 1x Grinder(290)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Doomwheel (120)
Doomwheel (120)
Umbral Spellportal (60)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 104

The idea is having the wizards stand behind the palisade screen and fire off spells through the portal while the Warpseer generates free giant rats for objectives. Everything else marches forward and does whatever it needs to do. Note that locally, people are fine with me proxying the Stormfiends to have whatever loadout I want; what I have listed is what they are physically equipped with.

So, thoughts? I don't own doomwheels but the idea of them sounds interesting. I also have 9 Jezzails, but I really am uncertain of their use now with the look out, sir rule. I also considered dropping 1 doomwheel to add in either: A ratling gun + CP to make use of the giant rats quicker, or a ratling + balewind for the arch warlock since the balewind now makes you one single model, I could still fire spells through the portal and with the realm spell the +1 spell would be helpful. Or I could get rid of both doomwheels for 2 cannons + balewind + another endless spell, shackles maybe?

Again, I want to be relatively competitive, but I've no clue on the doomwheels, I just thought they would be an interesting choice as a mobility unit since we have no cav (unless of course I roll 1's and 2's all the time...)

Choices, choices...

I really like the idea of using the warpseer to generate giant rats. I think spamming his command ability to summon a bunch of them could be a viable use of point. For instance, instead of bringing four 60-point giant rat units, you bring the warpseer and 200 points worth of cp. Excellent low-cost MSU approach that could circumvent the max size point reduction and still bring about the same amount of rats to the table. 

Keeping an eye out for such a strategy . Could prove useful.

Doomwheels are nice, and take focus off the rest of your stuff. Don't expect them to pull miracles, and you should be fine. Strictly a flanking annoyance, unless you play a scenario that requires hero/behemoths to capture objectives. Them it is a godsend.

I think Jezzails are strictly inferior to rattling guns in this edition, unless hunting monsters and high-value elite units. The -1 to hit heroes most of the time will see the prime reason for utilizing jezzails nullified. Rattling guns with the new warp token wording is really really strong, and will do more damage in conjunction with tokens than jezzails ever could, for a much smaller price :) I am of the belief that they are the new gems of Skryre 2.0.

I'd suggest Rattlegun + Cp over the balewind, but that's just preference. Hard to go wrong with more cp.

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mayple said:

I really like the idea of using the warpseer to generate giant rats. I think spamming his command ability to summon a bunch of them could be a viable use of point. For instance, instead of bringing four 60-point giant rat units, you bring the warpseer and 200 points worth of cp. Excellent low-cost MSU approach that could circumvent the max size point reduction and still bring about the same amount of rats to the table. 

Keeping an eye out for such a strategy . Could prove useful.

Doomwheels are nice, and take focus off the rest of your stuff. Don't expect them to pull miracles, and you should be fine. Strictly a flanking annoyance, unless you play a scenario that requires hero/behemoths to capture objectives. Them it is a godsend.

I think Jezzails are strictly inferior to rattling guns in this edition, unless hunting monsters and high-value elite units. The -1 to hit heroes most of the time will see the prime reason for utilizing jezzails nullified. Rattling guns with the new warp token wording is really really strong, and will do more damage in conjunction with tokens than jezzails ever could, for a much smaller price :) I am of the belief that they are the new gems of Skryre 2.0.

I'd suggest Rattlegun + Cp over the balewind, but that's just preference. Hard to go wrong with more cp.

Hmm, so maybe even skip the Doomwheels altogether then and add a WLC + Shackles +1 CP? I guess at this point I'm stuck between either that or 1 Doomwheel, 1 WLC, BW +  2 CP's? As good as they may be I really am not fond of the ratling gun model at all so I am not sure I want to use them.

Edited by Gwendar

So tell me what you think of this idea and see if you can give me any other ideas for converting up my warband. I'm fiddling with the idea of converting my weapon team/Acolytes out of either. It'd probably make sense if they didn't all look the same. 

A. plastic Stormvermin
B. Skaven Bloodbowl team
C. Plague monks
The admech sicarian backpack looks decent for the Acolytes, skavenized a bit. Acolytes will get resculpted/refitted hands and probably an air soft pellet or something for the globe depending on what I use. I plan on probably using the burna boy flamethrower for my Warpfire teams since it both looks rickety and it might be big enough. They'll be one dude on a single 32mm, rather than the cavalry base two-person team. I like the idea from Vermintide of just one dude being the wielder.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gwendar said:

I never see our covens/battalion have any significant use with anything under 2k; At that point you're probably better off with more bodies/firepower. This edition I am actually leaning away from them entirely other than gautfyre, which is still as good as it was. That said if you still want to give it a shot, I really can't see much room for improvement unless you spend that extra 30 points on a palisade to hide your wizards behind while they chuck things through the portal. Either that or drop the packmaster for more clanrats or another mortar+palisade maybe?

Thank you for the advice. I'll definitely try them out a few times without the battalion to get more bodies / machines on the table and then a few times with to see what the difference is like.
As for the palisade I'll try it out since the mortars and the spell portal decrease its negatives of blocking your own line of sight, but I'm a little against the idea of Skaven intentionally summoning bright light ;)

1 hour ago, RaritanAnon said:

So tell me what you think of this idea and see if you can give me any other ideas for converting up my warband. I'm fiddling with the idea of converting my weapon team/Acolytes out of either. It'd probably make sense if they didn't all look the same. 

B. Skaven Bloodbowl team

The admech sicarian backpack looks decent for the Acolytes, skavenized a bit. Acolytes will get resculpted/refitted hands and probably an air soft pellet or something for the globe depending on what I use. I plan on probably using the burna boy flamethrower for my Warpfire teams since it both looks rickety and it might be big enough. They'll be one dude on a single 32mm, rather than the cavalry base two-person team. I like the idea from Vermintide of just one dude being the wielder.

This is pretty much exactly what I did - I used the Blood Bowl team for Acolytes, used a green stuff mold to reproduce a bunch of gas mask heads from the Doomwheel kit and gave them backpacks from Maxmini  (though if I were to do it again I'd try and get some of the new Death Guard backpacks) which attached rather nicely to the triangle on their backs.  Their hands actually hold bb pellets rather well and the only real change that was needed was a quick hand swap between the thrower and the blitzer (though not the ones pictured below, these are from two different sets but were the first ones on hand).

1964942837_IMG_20180704_18314401.jpg.e757d83754b36e3bdf8f0375fdaa054b.jpg

Edited by Ratzinkaiser
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ratzinkaiser said:

Thank you for the advice. I'll definitely try them out a few times without the battalion to get more bodies / machines on the table and then a few times with to see what the difference is like.
As for the palisade I'll try it out since the mortars and the spell portal decrease its negatives of blocking your own line of sight, but I'm a little against the idea of Skaven intentionally summoning bright light ;)

You could paint the pallisade green to make it warpstone

Just do what I plan to do and paint it looking like Warpstone, you can just pretend it isn't bright light that way. Keep in mind that although you will be able to shoot over the palisade, if you are within 6" of it you will suffer the to hit penalty which will be very bad for mortars, although the overseer of destruction trait would counteract this.

I gotta say, mine look like garbage (I used plague monks) but they represent them well enough. If I had a mold for the gasmaks I would definitely be doing that. Did you buy one somewhere or make one yourself? I see no issues with the BB team if you can make them look like that and if someone complains instead of complimenting you then they really are not worth playing.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

I have no idea why I didn't think of the simple solution of "paint the palisade green". >_> Of course these lovable vermin would try and summon possibly radioactive warpstone to protect them ;D
Though I went halfers on the set with a friend who plays Seraphon, I'll need to check if he'd be okay with that or see if I can get a second one on eBay for personal use

34 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

If I had a mold for the gasmaks I would definitely be doing that. Did you buy one somewhere or make one yourself? I see no issues with the BB team if you can make them look like that and if someone complains instead of complimenting you then they really are not worth playing.

To make them I used stuff called Instant Mold, a 32mm round base and a 20mm (or was it 25? Whatever the ones that come with the Storm Vermin are) square base. I put one side of the mold inside the round and the other into the square, so that I could always match up the squares edges and reduce the risk of mold slip that happened during early experiments. They're not perfect copies but they're good enough.

1063281074_IMG_20180704_19360001.jpg.165fdfcd5466b38ff6876a8359135e66.jpg

And also thank you very much for the compliment. :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

WRT Acolytes, I used mostly Stormvermin after seeing rhamah_ do it on Instagram. Heads are from a mix of Doomwheel, Warplightning Cannon and Mantic Veer-Myn, backpacks are from Adeptus Mechanicus Skitarii and throwing arms are from Ghouls.

It's a pain to buy a unit of Stormvermin just to use a few units from them...but they definitely look the best. 

I'm currently stuck between wanting the new GA Chaos artifacts and traits, and refusing to run 80 Clanrats for battleline...

1 minute ago, RaritanAnon said:

It's a pain to buy a unit of Stormvermin just to use a few units from them...but they definitely look the best. 

Oh, I'm using all of them! Between the Veer-Myn heads I still have and finding out that the Warp Lightning Cannon actually comes with three gas mask heads (and I have three Warp Lightning Cannons!) I ought to have enough bits to make ten more Acolytes on top of the ten I've already built. I'm also just building some regular Stormvermin, so the entirety of these two boxes of blackrats is getting utilised!

Just now, Kirjava13 said:

A question I'm finding myself wondering. The basic Chaos allegiance abilities are better than Skryre's... Depends on what you're playing for I suppose. In-game viability or narrative coolness. 

Until I know otherwise I'm going to do what I heard of before 2.0, which is that you can take an Allegiance, which grants battleline, but you can always take Grand Alliance traits/abilities/artifacts instead of your own. 

If this ceases to be the case, I'm dropping Skryre like a bad habit lol 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

Until I know otherwise I'm going to do what I heard of before 2.0, which is that you can take an Allegiance, which grants battleline, but you can always take Grand Alliance traits/abilities/artifacts instead of your own. 

If this ceases to be the case, I'm dropping Skryre like a bad habit lol 

I heard that stopped being the case. Haven't confirmed, but worth looking into.

I built mine with Stormvermin bodies since at the time the Blood Bowl teams hadn't released yet. But damn those looks really good. 

18 hours ago, Ratzinkaiser said:

This is pretty much exactly what I did - I used the Blood Bowl team for Acolytes, used a green stuff mold to reproduce a bunch of gas mask heads from the Doomwheel kit and gave them backpacks from Maxmini  (though if I were to do it again I'd try and get some of the new Death Guard backpacks) which attached rather nicely to the triangle on their backs.  Their hands actually hold bb pellets rather well and the only real change that was needed was a quick hand swap between the thrower and the blitzer (though not the ones pictured below, these are from two different sets but were the first ones on hand).

DXjAfh2WkAIJPaJ.jpg

• Like 4

Hey everyone!

Just jumped in on the Skryre train, I have a plan for a 2000 pt list with the battalion probably consisting of the Gautfyre and the ArkhSpark.  With what I put together on warscroll builder, do you think there is any merit for the prismatic palisade  or another endless spell in this list? I'm planning on leaving a unit of 3 Stormfiends with ratling cannons with the Arch-Warlock, Engineer, and the lightning cannon.

• LEADERS Arch Warlock (140) - General - Command Trait : Masterful Scavenger - Artefact : Esoteric Warp Resonator
  • Warlock Engineer (100) - Artefact : Crown of Conquest
  • Warlock Engineer (100)
  • UNITS 3 x Stormfiends (290) 3 x Stormfiends (290) 3 x Stormfiends (290) 1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (80) 1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (70)
  • WAR MACHINES Warp Lightning Cannon (180) Doomwheel (120)
  • BATTALIONS Clan Skryre (80) Arkhspark Voltik (70) Gautfyre Skorch (150)
  • TOTAL: 1960/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 3 WOUNDS: 90
Edited by Gash Bauer
Spelling error on my part

On 7/6/2018 at 10:32 AM, Gash Bauer said:

Hey everyone!

Just jumped in on the Skryre train, I have a plan for a 2000 pt list with the battalion probably consisting of the Gautfyre and the ArkhSpark.  With what I put together on warscroll builder, do you think there is any merit for the prismatic palisade  or another endless spell in this list? I'm planning on leaving a unit of 3 Stormfiends with ratling cannons with the Arch-Warlock, Engineer, and the lightning cannon.

• LEADERS Arch Warlock (140) - General - Command Trait : Masterful Scavenger - Artefact : Esoteric Warp Resonator
  • Warlock Engineer (100) - Artefact : Crown of Conquest
  • Warlock Engineer (100)
  • UNITS 3 x Stormfiends (290) 3 x Stormfiends (290) 3 x Stormfiends (290) 1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (80) 1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (70)
  • WAR MACHINES Warp Lightning Cannon (180) Doomwheel (120)
  • BATTALIONS Clan Skryre (80) Arkhspark Voltik (70) Gautfyre Skorch (150)
  • TOTAL: 1960/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 3 WOUNDS: 90

I tend to go for max deletion when I run gautfyre and have all three units burrow in behind with warpfire, but I do like the idea of a protection unit. Could work well for scorched earth but make sure those cannons aren't just sitting on an obj all game as they are especially great with our new +1 damage spark. 

Anyway, with 40 points left a palisade would be a decent choice for added protection on that warlock/wlc party you have, otherwise I would go with balewind or a predatory spell if you like those. With how cheap the endless spells are, almost anytime you are left with 40 points I see a reason not to bring one. 

4 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I tend to go for max deletion when I run gautfyre and have all three units burrow in behind with warpfire, but I do like the idea of a protection unit. Could work well for scorched earth but make sure those cannons aren't just sitting on an obj all game as they are especially great with our new +1 damage spark. 

Anyway, with 40 points left a palisade would be a decent choice for added protection on that warlock/wlc party you have, otherwise I would go with balewind or a predatory spell if you like those. With how cheap the endless spells are, almost anytime you are left with 40 points I see a reason not to bring one. 

Cannons don't benefit from warptokens :) None of the mortal wound options (warpfire, warp projectors, cannon) have a damage characteristic.

On 7/8/2018 at 9:27 AM, Mayple said:

Cannons don't benefit from warptokens :) None of the mortal wound options (warpfire, warp projectors, cannon) have a damage characteristic.

Yeah, I know that, I'm just saying I would rather have more warpfire for 2d3 MW than 1 ratling doing +1 but I guess it depends what you're shooting at. 

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

Hi,just wondering if anyone has already considered running a Soul Grinder in a skaven chaos list? It could give mobility plus I can totally see it converted into some giant Skryre/Moulder Verminlord :D