AoS 2 - Clan Skyre Discussion

Gaz Taylor

6 minutes ago, Primes said:

Hello all,

could someone please tell me what the Carrion Empire Battalion does and what it´s name is? I assume it includes all units featured in the box?

Should be legal as Blight War Battalions are as well...

All units in that battaillon get a 5+ shrug against m mortal and normal wounds in the first turn.

its called Skatchniks warpcoven, costs 140points.

to fulfill the battailon  you have to take a minimum and maximum of 1warplightningcannon, 1Doomwheel, 1warlock Bombardier and 1unit of 3Stormfiends.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skreech Verminking said:

All units in that battaillon get a 5+ shrug against m mortal and normal wounds in the first turn.

its called Skatchniks warpcoven, costs 140points.

to fulfill the battailon  you have to take a minimum and maximum of 1warplightningcannon, 1Doomwheel, 1warlock Bombardier and 1unit of 3Stormfiends.

Thanks a lot! Might be interesting to use against Alpha Strikes although I would prefer using it with a Unit of 6 Stormfiends...Still, taking two of this is still cheaper/as cheap as using our Warpcog Convocation, a great way of reducing drops and giving us two artifacts and two CP instead of only one.

List Idea: Three Drops...at least a nice way to use your two boxes of carrion empire before investing too much in other units.

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Warlock Bombardier (100)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
Warlock Engineer (100)
- General

Battleline

Units
3 x Stormfiends (260)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
10 x Skryre Acolytes (120)

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Doomwheel (160)
Doomwheel (160)

Battalions
Skatchniks Warpcoven (140)
Skatchniks Warpcoven
(140)

Endless Spells
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 93

I would be tempted to drop five Acolytes (they're all going to die or run away in one go, with five or ten) and upgrade the Warlock Engineer to an Arch-Warlock- the extra wound and the 3+ save to keep your general alive is worth more than those five extra rats might be.

Otherwise I like this!

Can someone explain how adding 1 to the damage characteristic of attacks with D3 or D6 damage in their characteristic works? Is it still possible to add 1 damage to these attacks or is there some wording that prevents it? Thinking about adding damage to doomwheel attacks and the like.

@Kraxriket its easy. For an attack with damage of D3 or D6 you simply roll a dice to determine how much damage is done, then you add teh bonus damage on top of that. 

For example if you have a +1 damage bonus and a D6 attack. You roll the dice and you get a 3, you then add the 1 to the 3 to give you a total damage of 4. 

So I was thinking about picking up another Carrion Empire box to add to what I have.

I will be able to make this list and it will use exactly all of my Skryre models. Is it any good?

LEADERS

Arch-Warlock (160)

Warlock Bombardier (100)

Warlock Bombardier (100)

UNITS

3 x Stormfiends (260)

3 x Stormfiends (260)

3 x Stormfiends (260)

WAR MACHINES

Doomwheel (160)

Doomwheel (160)

Doomwheel (160)

TOTAL: 1980/2000

or for a 1500 army, drop 2 Doomwheels and a WLC?

It is kinda similar to Kirjava13 suggestion for Primes

Edited by Orchid89

That is kinda the type of list  that I was aiming for....before knowing that Stormfiends are now far less specialized.

Still, for fun I'd run this type of  army but with a modification: I'd go for a Warpseer vermilord in place of Bombardier+Doomwheel. More versatile and reliable heavy hitter. Make him general as he is  MASTERCLAN (to keep your 3 storm units as battleline)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

That is kinda the type of list  that I was aiming for....before knowing that Stormfiends are now far less specialized.

Still, for fun I'd run this type of  army but with a modification: I'd go for a Warpseer vermilord in place of Bombardier+Doomwheel. More versatile and reliable heavy hitter. Make him general as he is  MASTERCLAN (to keep your 3 storm units as battleline)

Interesting, I do not own one yet but have thought about getting one as its a great looking model.

Hey folks, I did a search and didn't see the answer already. I wanted to clarify before i play my first game with the new rats this weekend.

First- can you only send a unit through your gnawhole 1 time a turn? Just the wording makes me feel that's the case but wanted to be sure.

Second - am I reading correctly that the warpfire projectors for stormfiends are different then Thanquol, letting you on roll 1 dice per model in 8 inches, even though they technically have 2?

So I finally picked up a win today with ‘pure’ Skryre:

Grey Seer, Arch-Warlock, Bombardier, Engineer

2x3 Stormfiends, 30 Acolytes

3x WLC 

WLV, Pendulum

Having the extra Engineer helped me get more MMWP casts off on the right units at the right time. WLCs are still amazing but the star unit was 30 Acolytes. Even unbuffed they were terrifying but fully buffed with MMWP and a Warpstone Spark they were making a mess of pretty much everything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

the star unit was 30 Acolytes. 

I have some bits coming in to make 30 or so myself (retiring the old 40 that I made as I hate the look of them) so I'm eager to give this a try in the coming weeks. How many wounds were they putting out on average would you say? I know we've all mathhammered it but I'm curious.

Planned to run 20-30 of them alongside 9 Jezzails and 1 WLC. To be honest, I would love to do that today as I have a game with Tzeentch and I don't expect my magic heavy list to do quite as well as it did to DoK  last weekend.

So I finally picked up a win today with ‘pure’ Skryre:

Grey Seer, Arch-Warlock, Bombardier, Engineer

2x3 Stormfiends, 30 Acolytes

3x WLC 

WLV, Pendulum

Having the extra Engineer helped me get more MMWP casts off on the right units at the right time. WLCs are still amazing but the star unit was 30 Acolytes. Even unbuffed they were terrifying but fully buffed with MMWP and a Warpstone Spark they were making a mess of pretty much everything. 

Who were you facing off against? 

Was against Stormcast. I have to say, I’ve just had a rematch and been tabled very quickly, in the first game about 20 Acolytes got 10 damage with MMWP through a Stardrake’s 4+ rerolling 1s (after rend, Staunch Defender etc.) in a round, in the second game they managed 2 with a roughly similar number. In game one they were also doing about 20 damage and wiping out units with default 4+ saves like Palladors in a round. So I think they can do well, dice permitting, but my deployment in game 2 was bad and I got slaughtered. The Skaven slot-machine lives on!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oldmanlee said:

So are acolytes worth taking now in a big unit (I have 30 of the metal ones ) ? 

I think so, but if you have the models get experimenting. As long as you don’t feed them to a Stardrake they can make a mess of a lot of stuff. Run and shoot, -2 rend with guaranteed 2 damage minumum with a Warpstone Spark, Bravery 8 if you lose less than 10 in the first round, a lot of bodies in a clan that really needs them. Plus the massive regiment discount of 40 points can go a long way. 

That price tag though. I’ve been slowly buying 5 a month for a few months to space it out. 

9 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Sacred feth, that's €300 of models!

Yeah but it was a one off buy so not that bad 

I think so, but if you have the models get experimenting. As long as you don’t feed them to a Stardrake they can make a mess of a lot of stuff. Run and shoot, -2 rend with guaranteed 2 damage minumum with a Warpstone Spark, Bravery 8 if you lose less than 10 in the first round, a lot of bodies in a clan that really needs them. Plus the massive regiment discount of 40 points can go a long way. 

That price tag though. I’ve been slowly buying 5 a month for a few months to space it out. 

Ahh thanks so some cool little tricks and combos to be had with them 

Isn't a unit of 30 overkill, compared to several units of 10/15 which would be less "all eggs in one basket"?

The warpstone spark can affect up to 3 units in range. More-more-more warp power only one, but even then it seems like a lot of damage already...

8 hours ago, Num said:

Isn't a unit of 30 overkill, compared to several units of 10/15 which would be less "all eggs in one basket"?

The warpstone spark can affect up to 3 units in range. More-more-more warp power only one, but even then it seems like a lot of damage already...

It’s a fair point and I’m gonna keep experimenting. 30 bodies and that attacking power and mobility for 60 points more than 3 Stormfiends is worth exploring though I think. 

35 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Has anyone ever tried to drybrush the big Warpstone blocks on stuff like WLCs and Doomwheels or do people generally take time to edge highlight it all? Have 3 WLCs looking at me and after edge highlighting all that bronze and silver I’m not sure I can face it!!

Oh no, no need at all.. it looks just fine drybrushing it. All of my warpstone is warpstrone glow base, Moot green drybrush on top of that. You can hit the tips with a lighter green\white if you want as well.

When I first started the hobby I edge highlighted a cannon and I vowed to never edge highlight anything again.

• 3 months later...
On 3/3/2019 at 3:03 AM, 5kaven5lave said:

I just took Cadian Grenades, and put them on the belts, and in the hands of Clanrats. Way, WAY less painful on the wallet, and gets the message across quite well. 

• 3 months later...

This seems like a dead thread. If the conversation is elsewhere let me know. I'm a noob to tga.

I'm looking at starting up a skaven army and I'm 90% sure I want clan Skryre. Their playstyle is fun and completely different than what I'm used to. I play Ironjawz and FEC.

I want a 2k army with some variation. The capability to play with options from game to game is a must. Would like to be able to have 2 different playstyles.

I don't need a super competitive list. I'm part of a FLGS and it's generally pretty chill. I play against LoN, Blades, IDK, SCE mostly. I want something that's awesome. Stormfiends are some of my favorite models. The doomwheel looks fun as hell and the theatrical element of long range artillery just laying waste to front lines sounds like loads of fun.

My problem is I don't know where to start really. There are no SC options for Skryre and the Carrion empire prices are absolutely absurd. Why would I pay that price when I could get all the individual units for cheaper... Anyway,any advice would be great, thanks!