AoS 2 - Clan Skyre Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 2/22/2019 at 7:38 PM, Kirjava13 said:

I swapped a couple of things out but it was basically the same as last time. This time, Skurrilious Maus was able to claim victory upon returning the clan burrow- and not be lying through his yellow teeth!

We played Take and Hold, the Stormcast bunkering down around their objective with a wall of Liberators surrounding a bastion of crossbow-wielding Vanguard. A Stardrake, a trio of characters and a unit of Vanguard Palladors rounded out the enemy army. 

Skurrilious, taking advantage of some mystical terrain, promptly laid down the Warp Lightning Vortex, and this tore the heart out of the Stormcast defence, wiping out a unit of Liberators, a unit of Aetherwings and the Lord Castellant, and doing a lot of damage to the Stardrake and other infantry units. This didn't stop the Raptors essentially popping off any unit they felt like, but it did let a Warp Lightning Cannon overcharge (cheerfully blowing itself up in the process and kill the Stardrake before it could do much damage. 

The Stormfiends were almost useless again, as were the Acolytes, but the newly-painted Doomwheel rolled over Liberators aplenty before getting shot to pieces by the Raptors. As the end of the game approached, Skurrilious skurried away, er, I mean bravely fell back to secure the Skaven objective (a deep-striking Stormcast hero had tried to secure it, only to get shot in the back of the head by Shirk Maus), while Boneripper stalked into the Stormcast deployment zone, summoning a second Warp Lightning Vortex to devastate the Raptors and kill the Lord Relictor. It was a near-run thing, but we decided the Skaven held the field.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels Warp Lightning Vortex did all the work, with maybe some help from the WLC? Doesn't feel very funny nor tactical (nor balanced) just rolling to cast it then rolling for overcharged WLC without much thinking about positioning or combat order, etc...? although maybe there was more to it? 

Edited by Benkei

1 hour ago, Benkei said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels Warp Lightning Vortex did all the work, with maybe some help from the WLC? Doesn't feel very funny nor tactical (nor balanced) just rolling to cast it then rolling for overcharged WLC without much thinking about positioning or combat order, etc...? although maybe there was more to it? 

Just because it’s mortal wounds, doesn’t mean you aren’t paying points for a probable amount of damage, same as any other unit? The results are just more immediate and involve less dice. 

1 hour ago, Benkei said:

I'm just saying it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of tactical thought involved

Rolling dice never takes tactical thought. Surely the tactical thought involved is in choosing target priority, positioning, playing to objectives, etc? Sounds like a tactically well-played game to me; thanks for the write up @Kirjava13.

Allegiance: Skryre
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Thanquol on Boneripper (400)

- General
Warlock Engineer (100)
Warlock Engineer (100)
Warlock Bombardier (100)

- Artefact: Vigordust Injector/Aetherquartz Brooch

Battleline

Units
3 x Stormfiends (260)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
1 x Warp-Grinder (80)
1 x Warpfire Thrower (70)

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Endless Spells
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 97

How it looks?

Similar to the old Skryre list from the last tournaments but with some tweak.

Can it still working?

Edited by Noit

34 minutes ago, Noit said:

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Thanquol on Boneripper (400)
Warlock Engineer (100)
Warlock Engineer (100)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- General
- Trait: Masterful Scavenger
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm

Battleline

Units
3 x Stormfiends (260)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
1 x Warp-Grinder (80)

War Machines

Endless Spells
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

Wounds: 97

How it looks?

Can it still working?

I like it, you might struggle for bodies is the only thing so maybe some Acolytes but it’s up to you. Also, Thanquol needs to be your general, assuming it’s a typo but just checking. 

2 hours ago, Noit said:

How it looks?

Can it still working?

Couple of things - while Thanquol is a beast in his own right, you don’t really gain any synergy with a Skryre army, and you actually lose the potential for some good synergy by not having a Skryre general. An arch warlock with with a vigordust injector can make a unit of ranged stormfiends (say, 6 with 2 ratling guns, 2 windlaunchers and 2 (shock) gauntlets) absolutely lethal when feeding them a spark and deranged inventor as well. As your list is also stormfiends heavy, I think you almost need these to make them work. The other way to run stormfiends currently (IMO anyway, and if you want to run in 3s) is close range, say 3 with 1 projector, 1 grinderfists (to get close to begin with, and not shabby in melee), and 1 (shock) gauntlets. Not taking Thanquol would also allow you to take more bodies/toys - consider some acolytes for objective camping and another WLC, as these are always better in multiples. I’d take out Thanquol and at least one of your engineers (probably 2, or 1 and the bombardier), take out the grinder team (fiends can move themselves now, and don’t forget gnawholes), add an arch warlock, another cannon, and maybe either 3 more stormfiends (bulk at least one unit to 6) and 5 acolytes, or add 20 acolytes and another warpfire team, hiding the warpfire teams among your acolytes and use the blob to go horde hunting, while your stormfiends deal with elites and monsters.

Lastly, under no circumstances make your bombardier the general. He’s a suicide unit, that risks all for big payoff until he blows himself up!

Edited by Baron Wastelands

50 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

WLV is pretty good so I’d keep it if possible. If you have Stormfiends with Projectors and Thanquol AND 2 Throwers your anti-horde game will be amazing but you might lose out vs. more elite armies. I don’t have all the answers, nor am I a great player, but something to think about maybe. 

No problem,ive reasoned about different things reading you posts.

8 minutes ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Couple of things - while Thanquol is a beast in his own right, you don’t really gain any synergy with a Skryre army, and you actually lose the potential for some good synergy by not having a Skryre general. An arch warlock with with a vigordust injector can make a unit of ranged stormfiends (say, 6 with 2 ratling guns, 2 windlaunchers and 2 (shock) gauntlets) absolutely lethal when feeding them a spark and deranged inventor as well. As your list is also stormfiends heavy, I think you almost need these to make them work. The other way to run stormfiends currently (IMO anyway, and if you want to run in 3s) is close range, say 3 with 1 projector, 1 grinderfists (to get close to begin with, and not shabby in melee), and 1 (shock) gauntlets. Not taking Thanquol would also allow you to take more bodies/toys - consider some acolytes for objective camping and another WLC, as these are always better in multiples. I’d take out Thanquol and at least one of your engineers (probably 2, or 1 and the bombardier), take out the grinder team (fiends can move themselves now, and don’t forget gnawholes), add an arch warlock, another cannon, and maybe either 3 more stormfiends (bulk at least one unit to 6) and 5 acolytes, or add 20 acolytes and another warpfire team, hiding the warpfire teams among your acolytes and use the blob to go horde hunting, while your stormfiends deal with elites and monsters.

Lastly, under no circumstances make your bombardier the general. He’s a suicide unit, that risks all for big payoff until he blows himself up!

Very very helpful,thanks a lot!

I was working at a list without a Stormfiend squad but i felt that was the wrong path just to keep Thanquol...the theorycrafting must go on.

10 hours ago, Benkei said:

I can't speak to your sense of humour, but to me a warp lightning cannon vaporising a dragon and then exploding is both awesome and hilarious. 

This is a game where it's possible for elite infantry to whiff every attack and kill nothing. Tactics, if they enter the equation, are secondary to chance. I'm hardly billing myself as the next Hannibal Barca here.

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Warlock Bombardier (100)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
Arch-Warlock (160)
- General
- Trait: Deranged Inventor
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector

Battleline

Units
6 x Stormfiends (520)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
20 x Skryre Acolytes (240)

War Machines

Endless Spells
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Warp Lightning Vortex  (100)

Wounds: 108

Here we are,how it looks now?

Edited by Noit

3 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I can't speak to your sense of humour, but to me a warp lightning cannon vaporising a dragon and then exploding is both awesome and hilarious. 

This is a game where it's possible for elite infantry to whiff every attack and kill nothing. Tactics, if they enter the equation, are secondary to chance. I'm hardly billing myself as the next Hannibal Barca here.

Never said you did, sorry if it came across as that, just wondering about the depth of the new battletome. 

Hi folks posted this in the main thread too but my skryre acolytes and jezzails project has progressed to the point where the parts fit the plastic kits and I'm now batch printing enough to set up the army! 

I hope to have some better pics and painted samples later this week 😁

20190224_131023.jpg

20190224_153731.jpg

20190224_174301.jpg

20190224_180828.jpg

20190224_131008.jpg

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Benkei said:

Never said you did, sorry if it came across as that, just wondering about the depth of the new battletome. 

I'm probably not the best person to ask! My collection is limited to Skryre with a tiny bit of Verminus, and my personal take is that while Skryre is fun if you're not too bothered about winning, the new battletome has taken away enough options for me to find it quite restrictive given my own army's make-up. I can't speak to how much depth this particular aspect of our beloved rats has: the only things I've really gotten to use so far are the war machines, Thanquol and the Arch-Warlock, as everything else dies pretty sharpish.

5 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

I know this is a cross post but just in case anyone missed my post on the main thread, I’ve had a GW rep tell me that the 32mm bases they sent my with Acolytes are the correct size, so maybe wait for that FAQ next weekend before basing your kitbashes?

Acolytes have 25mm bases if the description on GW site is correct.

Liking the look of some Jezzail filth with More-More Warp Power so mixing up my list for my game this weekend with some as proxies:

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Grey Seer (120)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic  
- Artefact: Suspicious Stone  
- Lore of Ruin: Skitterleap
Arch-Warlock (160)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Warp Lightning Shield

Battleline
3 x Stormfiends (260)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
10 x Skryre Acolytes (120)

Units
9 x Warplock Jezzails (420)

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Endless Spells
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 101

Want to see how much damage they can do rerolling hits and wounds with +1 damage at 30”. 

29 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

I queried receiving 32mm bases through customer support and was told that 32mm was correct and that 25mm as shown on the website was an error and would be corrected. 

These days I leave it a few weeks before doing any base purchases or changers after GW drops a new battletome as they seem to make mistakes most times with changes.

Sometimes I think the balance makes a change that never makes it through to packing and then packing forces the change back because that's what they are packing and what is in all the stock and they are not repacking again ;) Or its the other way around - however it is communication breaks somewhere.