AoS 2 - Clan Skyre Discussion

Gaz Taylor

2 hours ago, Gwendar said:

@RaritanAnon I would honestly leave out the jezzails. Unless you're taking them in units of 9-12 (with or without the battalion) they are simply not that great anymore from my personal experience. It would probably be better to just save those 140 points for another wizard considering magic being heavier this edition. A case could possibly be said for 1x3 of them plinking at something and getting lucky, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. I had a unit of 9 last tournament with the battalion, and even against witch aelves it managed only 4-8 wounds on average per turn, and again, that was with nine of them shooting twice per turn. Granted I rolled horribly most of that game, but the entire time I wished I had just brought a second cannon or more bodies. I like going with a 3 wizard minimum in most of my armies since my local meta kind of forces those unbinds.

@deumosd There are plenty of ways, a lot of that was covered back in the old thread. Most of us use plague monk bodies or blood-bowl team bodies and then various throwing arms/backpacks. Personally, I went with plague monk bodies, electro-priest arms and skitarii ranger backpacks and I would just hit up ebay for 40k backpacks and see what you can get that you think looks good. For the orb, I just used a plastic airsoft BB. But there are many more options, I just found that was the quickest/easiest way without needing to greenstuff anything. If you really want gas-mask style heads, you can also look into veer-myn heads from another game, but I wouldn't recommend doing this if you want to use them at a GW store (unless they allow 3rd party bits).

Hm. You're probably right. It's 140 points so I can consider some options. That sort of just leaves a Grey Seer, for Skaven wizards unless I'm missing one. No reason to double up. He could help against hordes in theory. And that's enough points to take an Pendulum I guess, which is good. 

If I wasn't deepstriking the monks, I could do a plague priest and a Packmaster for buffs, too. Or even take a small unit of Clanrats to help guard the Cannons? 140pts is a lot for Skaven. 

My Skryre Acolyte recipe:

- take a Stormvermin body
- add a Stormvermin sword arm
- throw on a Skitarii backpack
- next, a Plagueclaw Catapult/Doomwheel gasmask head (alternatively, Veer-Myn head- they are a little oversized but if you only have a few of them it's not so weird)
- for the globe arm, something with an open hand- I used arms from the Flesheater Courts Ghouls kit, with extra bone piercings cut off
- Greenstuff a globe into that open hand (try to make it actually spherical, unlike one or two of my hideous early attempts)
- weep as you realise that you really need to do at least another 14 of these losers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

Hm. You're probably right. It's 140 points so I can consider some options. That sort of just leaves a Grey Seer, for Skaven wizards unless I'm missing one. No reason to double up. He could help against hordes in theory. And that's enough points to take an Pendulum I guess, which is good. 

If I wasn't deepstriking the monks, I could do a plague priest and a Packmaster for buffs, too. Or even take a small unit of Clanrats to help guard the Cannons? 140pts is a lot for Skaven. 

I agree, while it's no gaunt summoner, the spell is still good at knocking a few notches off a horde unit, which we lack power in doing unless you bring a few mortars. I've stopped using them as of 2.0 as they were never really reliable anyway. I'd rather have more unbinds from another wizard. 

All in all I think you should just experiment a bit with what works with you local meta. I would say regardless you should keep the tunneling unit of 40 monks, outside of that a Grey seer or 20 clanrats as you suggested could be nice additions. Just don't expect those clanrats to last more than a turn or so at screening anything. 

36 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I agree, while it's no gaunt summoner, the spell is still good at knocking a few notches off a horde unit, which we lack power in doing unless you bring a few mortars. I've stopped using them as of 2.0 as they were never really reliable anyway. I'd rather have more unbinds from another wizard. 

All in all I think you should just experiment a bit with what works with you local meta. I would say regardless you should keep the tunneling unit of 40 monks, outside of that a Grey seer or 20 clanrats as you suggested could be nice additions. Just don't expect those clanrats to last more than a turn or so at screening anything. 

I'm on the fence on deepstriking the monks, as they're my only sort of objective control. Instead I decided to Grinderfist two of the Stormfiends. This is the list I've been toying around with. It has 50 points floating, for spells or a CP. 

Allegiance: Skryre
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Masterful Scavenger 
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
Packmaster (60)
- Shock-Prod
- Allies
3 x Stormfiends (290)
- 2x Warpfire Projectors, 1x Grinderfist 
3 x Stormfiends (290)
- 2x Warpfire Projectors, 1x Grinderfist 
3 x Stormfiends (290)
- 3x Shock Gauntlets 
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team(70)
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team(70)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
- Allies
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 300 / 400
Wounds: 126

Edited by RaritanAnon

@RaritanAnon If you want bodies for objective control I would advise you to use 40 Clanrats over Monks. Monks are less resilient but more punchy than clanrats (especially outside of pestilence buffs), hence why they are great for tunneling and charging a unit. Plus you save 40 points by going with 40 clanrats, who are still great to tunnel in should you decide to go that route, and what would be better for taking some damage.

Outside of that, I've never been a fan of using a mix of Warpfire+Grinderfists as you have to tunnel up more than 9" away, meaning your Warpfire stormfiends will not be able to hit anything the turn they pop up. At that point it's just better to have ratling guns (don't) or a melee unit to get a 9" charge in.

Edited by Gwendar

31 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

@RaritanAnon If you want bodies for objective control I would advise you to use 40 Clanrats over Monks. Monks are less resilient but more punchy than clanrats (especially outside of pestilence buffs), hence why they are great for tunneling and charging a unit. Plus you save 40 points by going with 40 clanrats, who are still great to tunnel in should you decide to go that route, and what would be better for taking some damage.

Outside of that, I've never been a fan of using a mix of Warpfire+Grinderfists as you have to tunnel up more than 9" away, meaning your Warpfire stormfiends will not be able to hit anything the turn they pop up. At that point it's just better to have ratling guns (don't) or a melee unit to get a 9" charge in.

That's fair. I know Clanrats are more survivable than Monks are, by far. Even with a 5+/6+ save. It's just that, in my head, if I deepstrike my monks, I will only have the firefiends and the shockfiends to weather any charges or fire, for any of the turns my tunneling fails. Even on a 3+ it'll happen. 

I can negate that by maybe grabbing a small unit of Clanrats and/or summoning Shackles, or Palisade but it still seems scary. 

I think I'll stick with the 3x fire/3x shock/3x grinder for my fiends though. That seems to be the best mix. 

Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Masterful Scavenger 
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
3 x Stormfiends (290)
- Warpfire Projectors 
3 x Stormfiends (290)
- Shock Gauntlets 
3 x Stormfiends (290)
- Grinderfists 
1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (80)
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
- Allies
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
- Allies
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 140

Edited by RaritanAnon

2 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

That's fair. I know Clanrats are more survivable than Monks are, by far. Even with a 5+/6+ save. It's just that, in my head, if I deepstrike my monks, I will only have the firefiends and the shockfiends to weather any charges or fire, for any of the turns my tunneling fails. Even on a 3+ it'll happen. 

I can negate that by maybe grabbing a small unit of Clanrats and/or summoning Shackles, or Palisade but it still seems scary. 

I think I'll stick with the 3x fire/3x shock/3x grinder for my fiends though. That seems to be the best mix. 

Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Masterful Scavenger 
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
3 x Stormfiends (290)
- Warpfire Projectors 
3 x Stormfiends (290)
- Shock Gauntlets 
3 x Stormfiends (290)
- Grinderfists 
1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (80)
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
- Allies
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
- Allies
Balewind Vortex (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 140

I see what you're saying, and 20 Clanrats could do that for at least a turn against a reasonable deepstrike against your cannons. I just believe that 40 monks should be treated strictly as a combat unit and with the threat of a unit of them and the grinderfists popping up somewhere, it should make your opponent cautious. Just keep in mind almost all objectives can be moved off of once they are capped on your turn, allowing you to counter charge before they can touch it with the right turn priority. Oh, and I have a lot of love for the palisade in every army of mine, especially with my Ironjawz.

Like I've said, the best thing you can do is take a few different lists like you've shown and just experiment. We all have different playstyles and everyone's local meta is different, so what works well for me may not for you and vice-versa. I think everything you've suggested has been great under a certain scenario, so just go give them all a shot and be sure to write up a battle report so we can see how it worked out!

• Like 1

I was wondering if more experienced people could please take a look at my first ever attempt at kitbash/ conversion/ using green stuff. I have tried to make some acolytes.

would these be excepted in a GW tournament or not? I have entered my first ever at the end of November. If they will not be excepted I had better buy the actual models. Thanks in advance!

C346CC80-379B-49DA-A6FB-32010EC41DB3.jpeg

5B15A106-C427-41F6-97E9-F2F1D72530CA.jpeg

• Like 3

On 9/24/2018 at 11:49 AM, deumosd said:

I was wondering if more experienced people could please take a look at my first ever attempt at kitbash/ conversion/ using green stuff. I have tried to make some acolytes.

would these be excepted in a GW tournament or not? I have entered my first ever at the end of November. If they will not be excepted I had better buy the actual models. Thanks in advance!

C346CC80-379B-49DA-A6FB-32010EC41DB3.jpeg

5B15A106-C427-41F6-97E9-F2F1D72530CA.jpeg

Looking good! My only suggestion to maybe neaten it up a bit would be to forgo using the whole left arm in the conversion; perhaps try cutting the hand which you're using to hold the orb at the wrist and graft it onto an original plague monk arm, cutting off the plague monk hand obviously. Then you won't have to try to green-stuff an awkward shoulder joint or deal with mismatching arms between the two sides. It might be worth looking for some glass beads too to use maybe as the orbs instead of greenstuff balls? Green stuff is great when you need to sculpt things from scratch, but when all you want is a sphere you might as well go with a perfectly round one to start with rather than trying to mould it.

On 9/20/2018 at 1:17 PM, Kirjava13 said:

My Skryre Acolyte recipe:

- take a Stormvermin body
- add a Stormvermin sword arm
- throw on a Skitarii backpack

This is a good start, but I would say that Kharadron Arkanaughts backpacks would fit better.

Depending on how your local meta feels about third party conversion bits, Secret Weapon Miniatures makes the best alternative - just get the Rebreather Backpacks set.  Ten bucks for ten packs (plus shipping, but still a better deal)

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=47_50&products_id=461

Actually, on second thought, if you are using Mantic's Veer Myn models to get your heads, that kit also has air tank backpacks as well.  Why not just use a single pack of Veer Myn Nightcrawlers to scavenge all your parts from.

Lastly, as I recall, the original Plague Wind Globadiers were heavily robed.  I think some Skaven Plague Monks would make for better base bodies than Storm Vermin.  Just add some Veer Myn heads and backpacks to the Monk bodies and you are probably looking pretty good for the main part of the model.  I would personally probably embellish with some extra hoses from my Green Stuff Workshop tool, but that's just me.

Edited by mikethefish

Well, that depends on what sort of look you want to achieve. If you're happy aping the metal models look, then sure, Plague Monk bodies are better, but I find the neck joint less forgiving than with the Stormvermin body. Using them also gives the Acolytes a tougher, meaner appearance, which I much prefer. Now if only they had the stats to match...

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Balewind + Archwarlock + Terrain Cover + Mystic Sheild spell? So long as the balewind is fully within a terrain feature to grant cover, and the balewind and rat are treated as one model, does this give me a 2+ save reroll 1 skaven? Thats one hell of a skryre general.

Yep, I did this recently against DoK in my last batrep and it was arcane terrain on top of that. It was nice seeing Morathi have such a hard time getting to and attempting to wound him.

People tend to glance over just how good the Arch-Warlock is I've noticed, especially when you set him up properly as described.

2 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Yep, I did this recently against DoK in my last batrep and it was arcane terrain on top of that. It was nice seeing Morathi have such a hard time getting to and attempting to wound him.

People tend to glance over just how good the Arch-Warlock is I've noticed, especially when you set him up properly as described.

Have you ever skitterleaped the rat while on top a vortex? I'm curious how that plays out. Especially if you can teleport right next to arcane terrain to begin with. 

2 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Have you ever skitterleaped the rat while on top a vortex? I'm curious how that plays out. Especially if you can teleport right next to arcane terrain to begin with. 

This is a legitimate move. I played a tournament last weekend and I though having a Balewind I infrequently managed to get it off, even when I wanted to, and when I did I myself had to dispel it to involve the General in the objective game. Also, out of 18 attempts at casting Lightning Storm I got it off twice.  There is so much anti magic around, and so many armies with powerful dispels that I now consider our magic as incidental rather than anything to strategise with. I really think those 90 points of Endless spells can be better spent on something you have full control over.

28 minutes ago, Marc Wilson said:

This is a legitimate move. I played a tournament last weekend and I though having a Balewind I infrequently managed to get it off, even when I wanted to, and when I did I myself had to dispel it to involve the General in the objective game. Also, out of 18 attempts at casting Lightning Storm I got it off twice.  There is so much anti magic around, and so many armies with powerful dispels that I now consider our magic as incidental rather than anything to strategise with. I really think those 90 points of Endless spells can be better spent on something you have full control over.

Sadly that is accurate. I suffer from a heavy death meta at the moment and +1 dispels abound. Its either that or I'm playing against stormcast which dont run heavy magic anyways and I already whip them good. Its not a huge deal anyways as I just play narrative or fun pick-up games. 

16 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Balewind + Archwarlock + Terrain Cover + Mystic Sheild spell? So long as the balewind is fully within a terrain feature to grant cover, and the balewind and rat are treated as one model, does this give me a 2+ save reroll 1 skaven? Thats one hell of a skryre general.

That is a great tactic, especially if the terrain is Arcane.  Will have to try this out in my next game.

@Riff_Raff_Rascal I haven't tried skitterleaping it as I have never tried running a deceiver in a Skryre army as I never really found it useful. I guess that does help to re-position throughout the game though, I just never found that to be worth the 300 points of allies when I could bring 400 points of bodies instead. Of course, that's just me talking from a pure Skryre perspective (I almost always run 3x3 Stormfiends and 2 Cannons nowadays so I need the bodies) and I'm sure it's easier to consider in a mixed army.

I will agree on the subject of endless spells. I've mostly hated them aside from balewind, palisade, cogs and shackles and even those are rarely included anymore. There's a couple of Tzeentch players around here that love to unbind so I rarely get anything off, and even if I do, their Curselings tend to fire it right back.

Edited by Gwendar