AoS 2 - Clan Skyre Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 minute ago, ThePie said:

Okay, so ive decided of a base with 1 Arch-Warlock & Warlock Engineer and 2x3 storm fiends (3 with warpfire projectors and 3 with shock gauntlets)

Still unsure what i should get with the last 180 pts for my 1000 pts list.

A lightning cannon? Or perhaps a packmaster to further buff shock gauntlets and some rats for screen. Perhaps a poison wind mortar to hold backfield.. difficult choices

Two Stormfiends is a bit expensive for 1k. You have just a bunch of monsters and no glue. No way to grab objectives or soak damage. This is my 1k. A lot more bodies and variety. 

Allegiance: Skryre

Arch Warlock (140)

- General

- Trait: Overseer of Destruction 

Warlock Engineer (100)

- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 

5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)

5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)

3 x Stormfiends (290)

1 x Ratling Gun Weapon Team (80)

1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (70)

40 x Clanrats (200)

- Rusty Spear

- Allies

Total: 1000 / 1000

Extra Command Points: 0

Allies: 200 / 200

Wounds: 85

2 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Yeah, but there is no rule stating, that a successful attack can’t have more then one hit or wound role, so in other words it should be possible

and the shock gauntlets ability only says that a to hit of 6 or more will count as d6 hits instead of 1 and not d6 attacks

Sounds like an email to the rules team is in order of no one is certain. I really doubt that's intentional since shock gauntlets can already be quite insane, who knows. 

8 minutes ago, ThePie said:

Okay, so ive decided of a base with 1 Arch-Warlock & Warlock Engineer and 2x3 storm fiends (3 with warpfire projectors and 3 with shock gauntlets)

Still unsure what i should get with the last 180 pts for my 1000 pts list.

A lightning cannon? Or perhaps a packmaster to further buff shock gauntlets and some rats for screen. Perhaps a poison wind mortar to hold backfield.. difficult choices

I use the exact same setup and go between either a cannon or 15 Gutter Runners and do quite well with either. The lack of bodies for objectives can be troublesome but that's what the GR's are there for. When stormfiends can do so much damage though, it isn't uncommon to completely wipe a unit early on and then catch up/exceed on victory points. 

Edited by Gwendar

10 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Sounds like an email to the rules team is in order of no one is certain. I really doubt that's intentional since shock gauntlets can already be quite insane, who knows. 

I use the exact same setup and go between either a cannon or 15 Gutter Runners and do quite well with either. The lack of bodies for objectives can be troublesome but that's what the GR's are there for. When stormfiends can do so much damage though, it isn't uncommon to completely wipe a unit early on and then catch up/exceed on victory points. 

Well good luck to you than.

Say, if you get an answer from the team, could you maybe send it to the discussion??

thanks in advance

Edited by Skreech Verminking

Just passing by trying to make my friend who is new to AoS 1k points skryre list...
Found your discussion on Spark working with shock gauntlets, as rules state: sometimes an attack can cause multiple hits that you have to roll to wound and save simultaniously, so that means all shock gauntlet hits from 6+ are part of ONE attack, the Spark tells us that we can increase damage characteristic of a weapon by 1 for single attack and not add 1 damage to the attack. So for me it means that all hits from single 6+ will benefit.

Edited by XReN
  • Thanks 1

I get what you all are saying and I would love if that is case, but I'm just not sure that was intentional, who knows. I feel that after they saw sparks being used effectively with multihit weapons like ratling guns in ghb18, that is the reasoning they re-worded it in a FAQ, although maybe poorly; to prevent a ton of extra damage going through due to how you can choose when you use a spark when it comes to increasing damage.

EX: 4 attacks, only 1 hit and it was a 6. Roll a d6, get a 4, roll 4 wounds and all 4 wound. Disregarding saves, lets say 8 damage inflicted from the 4 wound rolls that got through. You are saying that because those 4 came from 1 attack, that the damage should now be 12 with a spark, rather than (what I assume) 9, correct?

I remain skeptical. I've sent them an email for some clarification, so we will see.

Edited by Gwendar

Hi everyone. I am new to the board and am thinking about starting a Skryre army as they seem to be a lot of fun to me. Nothing beats machines exploding right in your face from overheating :D I have been reading through this thread and according to the clues you guys have been giving out so far, I came up with the following list. The one thing I'm not really sure about is the weaponloadout of the stormfiends. The squad with the warpfires will be within the Gautfire pack and the other squad with the 3 Grinderfists will try to drill up separately but still in range of the others, so that the warlock engineer with the vigordust injector (also part of the Gautfire) can Vigordust inject them. All your feedback and help is greatly appreciated :)

LEADERS
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Overseer of Destruction

- Esoteric Warp Resonator

Warlock Engineer (100)
- Vigordust Injector
Warlock Engineer (100)

UNITS
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
3 x Stormfiends (290)
- 3x Grinderfists
1 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (60)
1 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (60)
1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (80)
3 x Stormfiends (290)
- 3x Warpfire Projectors
20 x Gutter Runners (200)
- Allies

BATTALIONS
Clan Skryre (80)
Gascloud Chokelung (70)
Gautfyre Skorch (150)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Balewind Vortex (40)

TOTAL: 1990/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1     WOUNDS: 100     LEADERS: 3/6    
BATTLELINES: 4 (3+)     BEHEMOTHS: 0/4     ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 200/400

Edited by Globadier

23 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Yeah, but there is no rule stating, that a successful attack can’t have more then one hit or wound role, so in other words it should be possible

and the shock gauntlets ability only says that a to hit of 6 or more will count as d6 hits instead of 1 and not d6 attacks

I doubt that. If that is the case, then what would be the purpose of the FAQ? If you compare the original versus the FAQ, i the FAQ would not change anything following this logic. There is no weapon that would make multiple attacks.

• Thanks 1

Short question to the worshippers of Clan Skryre: How many Stormfiends is too many?

For instance, did you have any success running 9 stormfiends (outside of 9 warpfire-Stormfiends gautyfire)?

For cost-related reason I was thinking 3x warpfire, 3x shock gauntlets and 3x grinder

Cheers

Never too many stormfiends! I run the same setup on my 9 and I've always found having 2 units was never enough. Even with 3x3 you have enough points to take the usual setup of wizards and other toys along with 80 clanrats or 40 Gutter Runners in my case. 

The damage output is too good to not bring that many from my experience. 

• Thanks 1

May I ask others their experience using Doomwheels and your opinions on the same? I've recently been trying to use a pair in my games and they've been rather underwhelming (though that may be due to rolling 1s every time for the number of attacks they get ? ), potentially even detrimental considering the last time I took them out I rolled doubles on More-More Speed on both of them and my opponent basically took them both out of the battle. I've yet to take them as part of the Clan Skryre battalion however, as I lack Doom Flayers, but as that's just extra movement would that help in any way?

Edited by Ratzinkaiser

33 minutes ago, Ratzinkaiser said:

May I ask others their experience using Doomwheels and your opinions on the same? I've recently been trying to use a pair in my games and they've been rather underwhelming (though that may be due to rolling 1s every time for the number of attacks they get ? ), potentially even detrimental considering the last time I took them out I rolled doubles on More-More Speed on both of them and my opponent basically took them both out of the battle. I've yet to take them as part of the Clan Skryre battalion however, as I lack Doom Flayers, but as that's just extra movement would that help in any way?

Doom wheels aren’t what they wants we’re in fantasy, sadly said.

even with the points reduction of about 20points since ghb 2016, it still isn’t really worth using  it.

The shooting attack which ones has hit automatic, now only hits on 4 and wounds on 4.

it would be much better if the warscroll would be changed into a similar way like the warplightning cannon. With wich you maybe only make 3shoots instead of 6.

@Ratzinkaiser I find them to be completely useless. Had their movement been a set amount and maybe on top of that roll 2 dice to run it would be fine since their damage output is mediocre at best, even when you take the mortal wounds into consideration. I mean, look at slaanesh seekers with their movement and damage output.

Overall, it's the random movement that really kills them for me, on top of rolling doubles when "running" which allows your opponent to drive it right back into you. Which unlike endless spells, you have no control over.

Edited by Gwendar

1 hour ago, ThePie said:

Is there any easy way to convert stormfiends warpfire projectors? I dont havy any good greenstuff skills so that is not an option for me...  think i read somewhere that ork burnas could work?

I got lucky and found some Warpfire projector bits from Boneripper and used those. Failing that, go to a hardware store and see what you can find, maybe? I recall some YouTuber converting some out of plastic couplings and some plumbing bits. 

20180806_171254.jpg

20180806_171247.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing :)
I have a similar question: what are your conversions/customizations of stormfiends?

I've got 9 now, but I feel the models are quite redundant once you start fielding them together (like 3 gauntlets, 3 warpfire...). The poses are the same and I feel quite constrained by the strict weapon requirements

So what are your tips/quick wins to make each stormfiend more unique please?

1 minute ago, Num said:

Thanks for sharing :)
I have a similar question: what are your conversions/customizations of stormfiends?

I've got 9 now, but I feel the models are quite redundant once you start fielding them together (like 3 gauntlets, 3 warpfire...). The poses are the same and I feel quite constrained by the strict weapon requirements

Unfortunately thats the nature of the game. The bodies for Stormfiends are one solid piece. Unless you're pretty good at cutting and sculpting, you're gonna have a hard time. Weapon swaps are easy. Poses are a lot harder. 

Personally I'm gonna try and find some head swaps if I can. Paint can help a lot to distinguish as well. 

19 hours ago, Num said:

As RaritanAnon said the bodies are fairly tough to customise. The best I could do to make them a bit more unique was leaving the front armour plate off the second shock gauntlet rat (since the muscles look pretty okay without it) and a few head swaps using left overs from the Hell Pit Abomination (with liberal use of greenstuff for gap filling)

As has been pointed out, weapon swaps are easy - so I have kept the three different poses in each unit, and just cut off the weapons from the arms and replaced, so 3 warpfire throwers in one unit, etc. After that, you can add bits and pieces to them to help further distinguish - e.g. I added back banners from leftover skaven standards to a different model in each unit, etc.

So I'm building Stormfiends. I have three with warpfire already. I'm gonna do 6 more. I don't want to give them all Warpfire though. So that leaves Grinderfists, Shock Gauntlets, and Ratling guns. This is my list. What would work best? Also, I can swap the Warpgrinder team and the Pendulum for another Warpfire, Shackles and Palisade if I want. 

Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Masterful Scavenger 
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
Packmaster (60)
- Herding Whip & Blade
3 x Stormfiends (290)
3 x Stormfiends (290)
3 x Stormfiends (290)
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team(70)
1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (80) 
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 126

@RaritanAnon Shock Gauntlets and Grinderfists for sure. I run 1x3 each of Grinders, Warpfire and Shock Gauntlets to much success so far. 3 Grinders works far better than my previous use of 2 ratling + 1 grinder.

I would honestly keep the warp-grinder so you can tunnel up the Monks. I don't think another warpfire thrower and some defensive spells will compare to having a blob of 40 Monks popping up anywhere and getting a charge in.

Also, I'm not sure you will have much success with a single warpfire thrower and no screen. I would consider dropping it and just get another packmaster or some more endless spells/CP. Lone warpfire throwers really want to be screened by a bigger blob of units, and since you cannot take 2 units with you with the grinder, it would be quickly sniped off the table before it got in range.

Edited by Gwendar

13 hours ago, Gwendar said:

@RaritanAnon Shock Gauntlets and Grinderfists for sure. I run 1x3 each of Grinders, Warpfire and Shock Gauntlets to much success so far. 3 Grinders works far better than my previous use of 2 ratling + 1 grinder.

I would honestly keep the warp-grinder so you can tunnel up the Monks. I don't think another warpfire thrower and some defensive spells will compare to having a blob of 40 Monks popping up anywhere and getting a charge in.

Also, I'm not sure you will have much success with a single warpfire thrower and no screen. I would consider dropping it and just get another packmaster or some more endless spells/CP. Lone warpfire throwers really want to be screened by a bigger blob of units, and since you cannot take 2 units with you with the grinder, it would be quickly sniped off the table before it got in range.

Yeah I initially did the two Warpfire Throwers and the blob of monks, but I almost think tunneling them might be better. That way they can do some much needed board control. That does sort of leave my wizards and Cannons out in the open though. I don't like that. Maybe that's when I take palisade/shackles to help protect them. 

Screenshot_20180919-151521_Chrome.jpg

Edited by RaritanAnon
Edit: This is the list I was considering. Go full aggro with 3x Grinderfist Fiends and 40 monks. Shoot from afar with jezzails and Cannons. Use palisade to block off charges and whatnot attacking the wizards.
  • Like 1

First of all sorry if this has been covered- I had a feeling I had seen something on it before but can not find it now.

i have not been playing Age of sigmar for long but after falling in love with Skaven I am trying to build up an army. I have a few bits in place but want c couple of units of Skryre  Acolytes. Only problem is the price of the individual models. So here is the plea for some help please from people with more skill/ knowledge than me:

is there a cheaper/easier way to kitbash/concert models to make acolytes. Happy to give things a go.

sorry if this has already been covered- and thanks in advance if anyone can help me.

@RaritanAnon I would honestly leave out the jezzails. Unless you're taking them in units of 9-12 (with or without the battalion) they are simply not that great anymore from my personal experience. It would probably be better to just save those 140 points for another wizard considering magic being heavier this edition. A case could possibly be said for 1x3 of them plinking at something and getting lucky, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. I had a unit of 9 last tournament with the battalion, and even against witch aelves it managed only 4-8 wounds on average per turn, and again, that was with nine of them shooting twice per turn. Granted I rolled horribly most of that game, but the entire time I wished I had just brought a second cannon or more bodies. I like going with a 3 wizard minimum in most of my armies since my local meta kind of forces those unbinds.

@deumosd There are plenty of ways, a lot of that was covered back in the old thread. Most of us use plague monk bodies or blood-bowl team bodies and then various throwing arms/backpacks. Personally, I went with plague monk bodies, electro-priest arms and skitarii ranger backpacks and I would just hit up ebay for 40k backpacks and see what you can get that you think looks good. For the orb, I just used a plastic airsoft BB. But there are many more options, I just found that was the quickest/easiest way without needing to greenstuff anything. If you really want gas-mask style heads, you can also look into veer-myn heads from another game, but I wouldn't recommend doing this if you want to use them at a GW store (unless they allow 3rd party bits).

Edited by Gwendar