AoS 2 - Clan Skyre Discussion

Gaz Taylor

11 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

That's what I've been thinking too. Sparks are nice for magic rolls but with no spell lores our magic is limited. I dont want to give up vigour dusted shockgauntlets but they tend to overkill things so it's probably worth losing that for more versatility. I dont think that the spark damage effect is worth the risk anymore except for the fringe case of something important being 1 damage away from dieing.

In that case you can also include a Packmaster for 60 points. Does about the same thing imo. 

I really can't see why they made that change to sparks, seriously how is Skryre on any radar worth waiving the nerf bat at :P

The spell re-roll is the best use of it and to finish off a hero/monster with 1 wound left after an attack that came up short. Otherwise unexciting, and seriously, everyone previously just used Sparks for the damage boosts to Skryre-tech, sometimes for spell re-rolls, never really for heroes.

But its ok, because our hordes of Stormfiends and Acolytes get +2 to bravery instead of +1 on battleshock tests when in large numbers!

• Like 1

I'm really sad and disappointed by this Skyre allegiance change. Why on earth would anyone want to risk taking d3 mw for 1 extra lousy damage, it's absurd. Well, I guess my Skyre will be on shelf until new battletome arrives (or better rules), not that I have any shortage of armies to play but still, what on earth were they thinking...

42 minutes ago, Reeve said:

In that case you can also include a Packmaster for 60 points. Does about the same thing imo. 

I did both which tended to be overkill if I rolled well.

2 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

I'm really sad and disappointed by this Skyre allegiance change. Why on earth would anyone want to risk taking d3 mw for 1 extra lousy damage, it's absurd. Well, I guess my Skyre will be on shelf until new battletome arrives (or better rules), not that I have any shortage of armies to play but still, what on earth were they thinking...

I feel the same. Though I was considering moving to a general skaven list which is a much easier decision now.

30 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Hi, isn’t it still possible to increase the damage from an attack, that those d6 or 6 additional hits, which all wound, each by 1?

(like stormfiends with shock gauntlets)

Unfortunately not as per the updated GH 2018 FAQ.

Page 130 – Warpstone Sparks Change the third bullet point to: ‘Add 1 to the damage inflicted by 1 successful attack made by a friendly Skryre model with a missile weapon or melee weapon.’

Previously thats what we all thought and the rattling gun weapons seemed spicy at the time. 

30 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Hi, isn’t it still possible to increase the damage from an attack, that those d6 or 6 additional hits, which all wound, each by 1?

In that case you would not, as the rules state, be adding '1 to the damage inflicted by 1 successful attack' but instead be adding 6 to the damage of the successful attack.  

I hasten to add that this isn't really a further nerf to Skryre but rather them clarifying the wording of the original rule from the GHB2018 - I already suggested that this was how the rule should be interpreted on the first page of this thread and it seems now even more clear that their intention is to award the increase *by a single point of damage* the output of one weapon on one model. Trying to game the rule and increase that to six isn't going to fly at a tournament or endear yourself to your opponent.

• Like 1

So, realistically, who is going to base any army strategy or build around Skryre allegiance abilities now?

At the risk of D3 MW :
You can get +1 damage to a single attack on the board, useful to finish something big off when the situation arises
You can get a spell re-roll, nice but its just contingency, nice for warlocks warp lighting
You can get a to-hit or to-wound re-roll for 1 hero attack, also contingency, but my heroes were never hungrily looking to get into CC!

The only thing I built around before as Skryre was double damage mortars in AOS1, followed by +1 damage attacks ratling / ratling or melee stormfiends in AOS2.

The way I see it the allegiance is now a set of fringe abilities that I might remember to use when a certain situation arises or certain things fail. It would do nothing to influence my build direction. The artefacts and traits are pretty lacklustre, the same obvious workable ones appear dominantly across Skryre lists.

Anyone see this differently? GA Chaos the way to go now?

9 hours ago, Num said:

I still see value in the skryre battle lines. 3*20+ clanrats is quite a tax when you're taking covens. At 1k, 2*20+ clanrats is quite a tax too.

Well if you dont mind Non Skaven, could fill the Battleline Tax with x3 ungors (total 180pts). Could even say "they're ungor slaves"!

• Like 1

I don't see clanrats as a tax anyway, one of our best units. Their flee+charge movement ability is down right excellent.

Also, including covens in 2000pts is hard to do comfortably and you need bodies to hold off the enemy to help you get your shooting in!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nikobot said:

I don't see clanrats as a tax anyway, one of our best units. Their flee+charge movement ability is down right excellent.

Also, including covens in 2000pts is hard to do comfortably and you need bodies to hold off the enemy to help you get your shooting in!

How do you utilize the flee + charge movement?

37 minutes ago, Lazaris said:

How do you utilize the flee + charge movement?

If the unit contains standard bearers it can retreat and charge in the same turn. So if you are engaged in combat you can retreat in the move phase and then charge in the charge phase to reposition your unit more favourably. 

Hey there, just a small question: If I read the Warscroll Builder correctly the  Archwarlock is the most expensive "regular" Skaven Hero (meaning it's a "common" Skaven that rose among the Ranks of the Skaven to it's current position – unlinke the Verminlord Daemons – and he doesn't have a powerful companion, like the Screaming Bell or Boneripper). Does that imply that it's currently the most powerfull regular Hero Character?

(I'm asking for background story-building reasons, but I try to keep the backstory in line with the rules / crunch …)

3 minutes ago, Filius said:

Hey there, just a small question: If I read the Warscroll Builder correctly the  Archwarlock is the most expensive "regular" Skaven Hero (meaning it's a "common" Skaven that rose among the Ranks of the Skaven to it's current position – unlinke the Verminlord Daemons – and he doesn't have a powerful companion, like the Screaming Bell or Boneripper). Does that imply that it's currently the most powerfull regular Hero Character?

(I'm asking for background story-building reasons, but I try to keep the backstory in line with the rules / crunch …)

Yes. The Arch-Warlock is such a badbass unit and the best non-monster Hero the Skaven have

• Thanks 1

And for more narrative aproach: Arch-Warlock is a Skryre Warlock Engineer that achieved the highest rank by constructing killing contraptions, scheming and stabbing in the back both enemies and allies (usual skaven stuff). He probably can decide about promotions of lesser Engineers (the answer is usually "no") and Arch-Warlocks surely form war councils, where they plan new conquests and betrayals.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Filius said:

It is also notable that an Arch-Warlock can cast TWO spells each turn, making him just as powerful of a wizard as even the Verminlords. 

Not counting the fact that he's a walking -tank- that can shrug off direct hits from cannons, blast his foes with a literal flamethrower, and has replaced one of his arms with what amounts to an actual chainsaw. 

There are no other non-named Skaven on the table that could possibly rival the sheer power that a Arch-Warlock holds at his fingertips ;) Top of the crop! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

Yes. The Arch-Warlock is such a badbass unit and the best non-monster Hero the Skaven have

25 minutes ago, michu said:

And for more narrative aproach: Arch-Warlock is a Skryre Warlock Engineer that achieved the highest rank by constructing killing contraptions, scheming and stabbing in the back both enemies and allies (usual skaven stuff). He probably can decide about promotions of lesser Engineers (the answer is usually "no") and Arch-Warlocks surely form war councils, where they plan new conquests and betrayals.

Thanks a ot @Lord_Skrolk and @michu! I plan on putting him in charge of my small force, that fit's very nicely and leads to the next question: From the 7th Edition Skaven Army Book I know that there has been an hiearchy of warlords within each Skaven Clan. If I am not mistaken the rules of those days didn't reflect that (or at least very well), and currently there's just one "Warlord". But putting one into a force and assuming that he is not a Clan Leader, but somewhere a bit down the hiearchy (like part of a war council) is probably quite okay, isn't it?

Sure, but to be precise - Your Warlord, even if he's not Clan Leader, firmly believes that he should be and that the current leader is filthy usurper, who killed former leader not in a fight, but during his sleep which is a dishonorable act (if used by someone else, of course, for your Warlord it's fair game) - that's the Skaven way. :) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, michu said:

Sure, but to be precise - Your Warlord, even if he's not Clan Leader, firmly believes that he should be and that the current leader is filthy usurper, who killed former leader not in a fight, but during his sleep which is a dishonorable act (if used by someone else, of course, for your Warlord it's fair game) - that's the Skaven way. :) 

Ah, yeah, of-course-course! ? I just finished reading the 7th edition army book and they really mention the backstabbing and megalomania at least twice on every page.

And regarding my question: It was quite stupid anyway. I tend to forget how vast the Age of Sigmar setting is and that virtually anything is okay, if you can come up with a plausible or even only entertainung story for it, hehe.

At least twice on every page? I knew they were selling us short! It should be at least three times! Paranoia, megalomania and backstabbing are two inherent parts of our culture... ok, three parts. Three inherent parts of our culture are paranoia megalomania, backstabbing and constant scheming. Ok, four parts... ;) 

• Haha 3

Tiny note on the new warptoken damage increase wording faq.

It no longer specifies damage value of a weapon. I.e: Can we now add that damage to warpfire throwers and projector attacks? Might be worth looking into.

Edited by Mayple

18 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Tiny note on the new warptoken damage increase wording faq.

It no longer specifies damage value of a weapon. I.e: Can we now add that damage to warpfire throwers and projector attacks? Might be worth looking into.

I thought the same thing when I read it (after the come-down from disappointment) 

I'll bet that the final ruling would be "no" as it says "damage" which is typically associated with the "damage characteristic", whereas "mortal wounds" when they happen are just mortal wounds and don't tend to be associated with phrases like "I did 2 mortal wounds worth of damage". Its just "I did 2 mortal wounds."

Nothing scientific about all that, just talking out loud.

• Like 1