AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

10 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Other than the Scrollbuilder webpage, has there been any communication from GW (Facebook, etc) indicating the actual points for Stormvermin?

(Not sure that it makes sense for them to be a premium cost for a unit of 30.)

The Profile in the AoS app still shows them at max 30 @ 500 Points.

Yeah same problem here, I’ve even send an email to them,  but for some reason they never responded?

5 hours ago, erasercrumbs said:

Thinking about seeing if I can make a Corrupter with the head of a Deceiver, because I love that sculpt.  I hope scraping off that Eshin rune won't be too difficult.

I wouldn't worry about it, the eshin sign is on other parts of the body as well, just consider it an aesthetic :)

6 hours ago, erasercrumbs said:

Thinking about seeing if I can make a Corrupter with the head of a Deceiver, because I love that sculpt.  I hope scraping off that Eshin rune won't be too difficult.

My Warpseer uses the Eshin head. It is really no issue; A Verminlord type is more defined by weaponry than head :)

So this is my final list for 1000pts, with a little variation depending on the army I'm playing against. How's it look? Still unsure on the best trait to give. Probably Lord of War so I can buff the Acolytes too, maybe? Not too sure on spears over blades for Clanrats either, but it's not like it makes too much of a big deal. Also, trade the engineer for a warlord maybe? Also I can replace the Acolytes and the Warpfire team for a Lightning Cannon if I'm facing something more elite, like BCR. 

Allegiance: Chaos

Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Grey Seer (100)
- General
- Trait: Lord of War
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
3 x Stormfiends (290)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team(70)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 101

13 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

So this is my final list for 1000pts, with a little variation depending on the army I'm playing against. How's it look? Still unsure on the best trait to give. Probably Lord of War so I can buff the Acolytes too, maybe? Not too sure on spears over blades for Clanrats either, but it's not like it makes too much of a big deal. Also, trade the engineer for a warlord maybe? Also I can replace the Acolytes and the Warpfire team for a Lightning Cannon if I'm facing something more elite, like BCR. 

Allegiance: Chaos

Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Grey Seer (100)
- General
- Trait: Lord of War
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
3 x Stormfiends (290)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team(70)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 101

Looks good, but you should but the two acolyte units together, since their to hit improves by 1, while having 10or more models in their  unit.

Just now, Skreech Verminking said:

Looks good, but you should but the two acolyte units together, since their to hit improves by 1, while having 10or more models in their  unit.

Their hit improves by 1 when they target a unit of 10 or more. Their own size does not matter :)

55 minutes ago, michu said:

I have a question: Is the "Gnash-gnaw on the bones" rule of regular Skaven Warlord now the same as Skritch Spiteclaw's? Warscroll on the website is still the old one and I'm not able to use app for now.

Spiteclaw's one activates in the combat phase, Warlord's in the hero phase, and Warlord on Brood Horror can use his in the hero phase through another warlord, but then it has to be "wholly within 13" :)

The brood horror warlord got the short end of the stick.

Edited by Mayple
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Spiteclaw's one activates in the combat phase, Warlord's in the hero phase, and Warlord on Brood Horror can use his in the hero phase through another warlord, but then it has to be "wholly within 13" :)

The brood horror warlord got the short end of the stick.

Well but the Skaven Warlord's lasts until next hero phase, while the others only till the end of the phase.

19 minutes ago, Drib said:

Well but the Skaven Warlord's lasts until next hero phase, while the others only till the end of the phase.

Ah, yes, that's true. The brood horror warlord, and Spiteclaw's command ability only works until the end of that combat phase, while the warlord on foot's ability lasts until your next hero phase.

I feel like they intended to update the warlord on foot, but forgot about it. Works in our favour :)

edit: Interestingly enough, if you have both a brood horror, and a warlord, then that warlord could really choose whether it wanted to use the command ability in the hero phase (it's own) or in the combat phase (brood horror) as long as it has a target that is wholly within 13". 

Whether that's useful or not, or better than just using Spiteclaw, I don't know yet :)

Edited by Mayple

1 minute ago, TheOtherJosh said:

From a rule of cool perspective ... sure. It’s just seems to be using a huge base ... is it still a 120mm x92mm?

The mini is the exact same height as a Verminlord Deceiver and same base size :). The model was just small, so I had to make it bigger to keep things fair.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kugane said:

The mini is the exact same height as a Verminlord Deceiver and same base size :). The model was just small, so I had to make it bigger to keep things fair.

I’d go up against it as an opponent. The (only) concern that I could see was if it had been modeled for advantage. (Given the way Command Abilities and Unit Abilities work within X range.)

But the conversion looks sweet. It looks like boneripper?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

I’d go up against it as an opponent. The (only) concern that I could see was if it had been modeled for advantage. (Given the way Command Abilities and Unit Abilities work within X range.)

But the conversion looks sweet. It looks like boneripper?

Well, as far as I know, models tend to either go by range of the base, which is exactly the same size as a normal verminlord. I made sure the head of the verminlord is at the exact same position as a regular verminlord as well, plus made sure the highest point of the verminlord's body is the same as a regular verminlord. So I don't think it can be considered to be modeled for advantage? Or am I missing something?

Here is a side by side comparison of height, base size and head level:

631428508_verminlordcomparison.JPG.ae110ea51a8a5af2c50d2655f218595b.JPG

Edit: it is indeed boneripper :), I had no use for the model, so I ripped it apart and remodelled it like this :P.

Edited by Kugane
  • Like 1

I'll be rocking this list at a FLGS monthly tomorrow. I made a few tweaks to accommodate for being Warlord-less (that being having one) and potential large unit summon spam. Any thoughts and feedback is appreciated and I'll be sure to do a write up afterwards, complete with photos.

Skaven(1)-1.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robbobobo said:

I'll be rocking this list at a FLGS monthly tomorrow. I made a few tweaks to accommodate for being Warlord-less (that being having one) and potential large unit summon spam. Any thoughts and feedback is appreciated and I'll be sure to do a write up afterwards, complete with photos.

Skaven(1)-1.jpg

I would love to hear how the stormfiends and weapon teams perform in the list :). Hope it works out nicely for you!

Ok guys. Here is my right up of the FLGS monthly. Before we go on I would like to state a few takeaways from today's event:

1) I clearly need to reread the rules. There are gaps in my knowledge starting from the core.
2) This edition feels very much like Herohammer than before. Losing your heroes feels worse (though you can still be in it and win it without them depending on the scenario).
3) DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE STORMFIENDS. THE CAPS IS FOR MY BENEFIT ALONE. ?

So, now that that's out of the way, let's get underway.

Game 1: Clan Verminus vs Stormcast Eternals - Starstrike

The list was pretty normal, nothing too odd. The only new stuff I saw was the Knight-Incantor and the Celestial Comet. The two did wonders with the Comet crashing into the board for a few turns. This game only went for three turns so it wasn't a full game but I was able to get the Clanrats up the board to take the objectives as they fell. Vanguard-Raptors were my bane as they sniped key models that were wounded by the comet. The Screaming Bell made some pretty good peals to help the Clanrats dish out damage (Roll 11's, they're sweet), the Verminlord Warpseer managed one summoning before he was promptly sniped and the Deathrunner was a worthy investment until the real one was crushed by the comet.  I was able to kill one 5-man squad of Liberators while my opponent wiped everything but one 40 block of Clanrats. Despite this, I had full control of the objectives as they came down allowing me to take the major victory 11-6.

Game 2: Clan Verminus vs Legions of Nagash - Focal Points

Went up against the AoS Coach himself. This game also went for three turns before time ran out. A frontal assault by the Terrorgheist, Mannfed and a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon tore through the Clanrats and co. on the left, leaving a fair few Clanrats dead along with most things but the Verminlord Warpseer and Poison Wind Mortar. The heroes came more into their own in this game as I was able to use a few of their command abilites and dish out a respectable amount of damage back to the trio with the surviving Clanrats. The right side of the board charged the Skeletons if only to stop the advance while keeping the Screaming Bell back for support (Peals for days. Seriously though, roll 11's). The left flank crumbled as Mannfred and the Terrorgheist tore through them, though not without dealing a hefty amount of wounds back and killing the other Vampire Lord. This game I completely forgot about the Stormfiends, which could have shored up the left flank and turned it around. The Legions of Nagash put the rats in their place, taking the game 12-4.

Game 3: Clan Verminus vs Beastclaw Raiders - Places of Arcane Powers.

Here's how it went down, I just need the next 20 seconds of your time.
Jokes aside, I conceded turn 2 as I learned the very hard way how the army works. I loosely knew that they were hardy but I did not expect 6MW on 2+ from the three Thundertusks, with more vicious shooting afterwards, knocking out key characters within the first turn. The rest is rats stabbing haplessly at things many times their size.

A few observations from today's event:

- The Verminlord Warpseer managed to do enough to warrant very accurate cross hairs pointed its way. Summoning Giant Rats did manage to tie up less threatening units, I wouldn't bank on them taking a game over.
- The Deathrunner combo kept those pesky rats from feeling to battleshock and I will be definitely keeping this in the lists I make going forward.
- Don't forget about your Stormfiends if they're tunneling.
- A lot of the armies present were looking to try a lot of new things or spins on old so you may see quite a few odd lists or new attempts to redefine the army.

That's my write up, I hope it was enjoyable to read. Feedback and questions are always appreciated.

Edited by robbobobo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robbobobo said:

Ok guys. Here is my right up of the FLGS monthly. Before we go on I would like to state a few takeaways from today's event:

1) I clearly need to reread the rules. There are gaps in my knowledge starting from the core.
2) This edition feels very much like Herohammer than before. Losing your heroes feels worse (though you can still be in it and win it without them depending on the scenario).

Game 1: Clan Verminous vs Stormcast Eternals - Starstrike

The list was pretty normal, nothing too odd. The only new stuff I saw was the Knight-Incantor and the Celestial Comet. The two did wonders with the Comet crashing into the board for a few turns. This game only went for three turns so it wasn't a full game but I was able to get the Clanrats up the board to take the objectives as they fell. Vanguard-Raptors were my bane as they sniped key models that were wounded by the comet. The Screaming Bell made some pretty good peals to help the Clanrats dish out damage (Roll 11's, they're sweet), the Verminlord Warpseer managed one summoning before he was promptly sniped and the Deathrunner was a worthy investment until the real one was crushed by the comet.  I was able to kill one 5-man squad of Liberators while my opponent wiped everything but one 40 block of Clanrats. Despite this, I had full control of the objectives as they came down allowing me to take the major victory 11-6.

Game 2: Clan Verminous vs Legions of Nagash - Focal Points

Went up against the AoS Coach himself. This game also went for three turns before time ran out. A frontal assault by the Terrorgheist, Mannfed and a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon tore through the Clanrats and co. on the left, leaving a fair few Clanrats dead along with most things but the Verminlord Warpseer and Poison Wind Mortar. The heroes came more into their own in this game as I was able to use a few of their command abilites and dish out a respectable amount of damage back to the trio with the surviving Clanrats. The right side of the board charged the Skeletons if only to stop the advance while keeping the Screaming Bell back for support (Peals for days. Seriously though, roll 11's). The left flank crumbled as Mannfred and the Terrorgheist tore through them, though not without dealing a hefty amount of wounds back and killing the other Vampire Lord. This game I completely forgot about the Stormfiends, which could have shored up the left flank and turned it around. The Legions of Nagash put the rats in their place, taking the game 12-4.

Game 3: Clan Verminous vs Beastclaw Raiders - Places of Arcane Powers.

Jokes aside, I conceded turn 2 as I learned the very hard way how the army works. I loosely knew that they were hardy but I did not expect 6MW on 2+ from the three Thundertusks, with more vicious shooting afterwards, knocking out key characters within the first turn. The rest is rats stabbing haplessly at things many times their size.

- The Verminlord Warpseer managed to do enough to warrant very accurate cross hairs pointed its way. Summoning Giant Rats did manage to tie up less threatening units, I wouldn't bank on them taking a game over.
- The Deathrunner combo kept those pesky rats from feeling to battleshock and I will be definitely keeping this in the lists I make going forward.
- A lot of the armies present were looking to try a lot of new things or spins on old so you may see quite a few odd lists or new attempts to redefine the army.

That's my write up, I hope it was enjoyable to read. Feedback and questions are always appreciated.

Thanks for your time, 

it surely is going to help me big, by building a  verminus tournament lists.

???

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, robbobobo said:

Game 1: Clan Verminous vs Stormcast Eternals - Starstrike

Game 2: Clan Verminous vs Legions of Nagash - Focal Points

Game 3: Clan Verminous vs Beastclaw Raiders - Places of Arcane Powers.

Say, were the weapon teams a big help to you?

The Warpfire Throwers did what Warpfire Throwers do best: burn-burn all the surface dwellers. Fielding two of these is normal for me and they have performed quite consistently. If they're not taking the heat they're spewing it, otherwise they do draw fire from other characters.

The Poison Wind Mortars, however, I'm not sold on. This was the first time I've used them and the 3+ to hit on a horde isn't bad, it just feels gutting when you miss the single shot. Having a second one compounded how underwhelming they felt. They only died if they were close by a unit that was on a warpath which speaks to the  lack of target priority they hold (meaning other stuff gets targeted that I'd rather not get shot). I might give them another go and if they don't serve their purpose I'll try Skryre Acolytes for the same cost. Shorter range, they get the same +1 to hit benefit but only D3 damage and will probably convert to a higher amount of hits/wounds in comparison.

On the books, though, are Ratling Gun Teams.  On paper I just think they're funky =P

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2018 at 7:33 PM, Kugane said:

Well, as far as I know, models tend to either go by range of the base, which is exactly the same size as a normal verminlord. I made sure the head of the verminlord is at the exact same position as a regular verminlord as well, plus made sure the highest point of the verminlord's body is the same as a regular verminlord. So I don't think it can be considered to be modeled for advantage? Or am I missing something?

Here is a side by side comparison of height, base size and head level:

631428508_verminlordcomparison.JPG.ae110ea51a8a5af2c50d2655f218595b.JPG

Edit: it is indeed boneripper :), I had no use for the model, so I ripped it apart and remodelled it like this :P.

I had to read it twice as well, and correct me if I’m wrong but when he wrote:

On 7/13/2018 at 7:18 PM, TheOtherJosh said:

I’d go up against it as an opponent

He meant he would play against it. So all good. 

From my personal perspective. Hellz yeah, awesome conversion and in a list with multiple verminlords all the better. Easier to differentiate and remember artefacts etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1