AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, angrycontra said:

From that article I have 1 major concern that could honestly partially destroy almost all of my excitement for this book if it comes true (despite all the great looking abilities). Near the end it states that "if you want to focus more on one of the clans, you'll be rewarded with special battleline", I pray to god that doesn't mean that in order for me to have stormfiends for battleline, I need to wield exclusively skyre army, 'cause that would be the most boring thing ever. One of my greater desires from this book was that I could play skyre army with some stormvermins thrown in (without ally system) or pestilens with maybe something heavy like thanquol added to it. If there is some non-clanrat small model count cheap unit as universal battleline (similar to dire wolves) I might forgive this kind of boring thing but I doubt that very much.

And before anyone says, no I have no interest in buying clanrats. I have a horde army already, it's called clan pestilens and I have no intention of getting another horde on top of that.

If you look at the Gloomspite Gitz, Battleline only depend on your Warlord. So Battleline Stormfiends with non-battleline Stormfiends would most likely be possible. Even more so as there is only the Skaventide Allegiance and the clan specific abilities are active all the time, no matter your army composition. 

12 minutes ago, Num said:

Just imagine if Stormfiends were to get the "Clan Moulder Fighting Beast" keyword! Oh boy these shock gauntlets would be nice to have

And let's break units cohesion with that Grey Seer Splinter spell!

Oh god, Stormfiends with 9-10wounds each.

although I don’t know if shock gauntlet will stay with the  6or more to hit role.

For some reason I really doubt it.

12 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

If you look at the Gloomspite Gitz, Battleline only depend on your Warlord. So Battleline Stormfiends with non-battleline Stormfiends would most likely be possible. Even more so as there is only the Skaventide Allegiance and the clan specific abilities are active all the time, no matter your army composition. 

Let’s hope so.

it would be very sad to see that clanrats are again the only possible battleline in a mixed skaven force.

but still it seems to be a great book.

all those allegiance ability’s are fantastic and really fits the skaven well

That said giving clan skyre battleline clanrats would be great for them - otherwise they are trapped with two very high cost battleline models to pick from. Cheap battleline is important as it lets you weight more alternative options; however if you have to take 260 points three times for minimum battle line then that's a big chunk of points gone on minimum units alone at 2K points. 

What are your predictions for warscroll and points changes? I have a feeling clanrats, stormvermin, giant rats, etc. will have their to hit/wound bonuses for unit sizes removed or nerfed in exchange for the new allegiance ability. Sounds like Skaven heroes are getting some big changes with these new keywords and abilities too.

Stormfiends and Verminlords will likely receive changes to make them all fairly balanced instead of just a couple of the weapons/verminlords being good with the rest being situational or bad. I'm hoping Stormvermin and Hell Pit Abominations get points reductions

There’s a decent chance they’ll remove the option to have 3 of one build in a unit of Stormfiends I reckon as they did with that KO unit I think. Points drop would be nice but they don’t seem to be doing many of those in new Battletomes, they just seem to change the Warscrolls to suit. 

Edited by 5kaven5lave

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Oh god, Stormfiends with 9-10wounds each.

although I don’t know if shock gauntlet will stay with the  6or more to hit role.

For some reason I really doubt it.

Only issue is you would get just one model, not the unit. Unless your running 3 or more Masters

15 hours ago, Skavelynn said:

What are your predictions for warscroll and points changes? I have a feeling clanrats, stormvermin, giant rats, etc. will have their to hit/wound bonuses for unit sizes removed or nerfed in exchange for the new allegiance ability. Sounds like Skaven heroes are getting some big changes with these new keywords and abilities too.

Stormfiends and Verminlords will likely receive changes to make them all fairly balanced instead of just a couple of the weapons/verminlords being good with the rest being situational or bad. I'm hoping Stormvermin and Hell Pit Abominations get points reductions

I can see the flamethrower or other "free MW" habilities being toned down. Like making the flamethrower  being 6/7 attacks with auto hit, 2+ to wound and rend -3 damage 1. So nearly as powerful as before, but not "here i roll my dice and destroy everything or do nothing" like before, making it very frustrating either for the skaven (when you roll 1/2) or the opponent (when you roll 5/6)

6 minutes ago, ledha said:

I can see the flamethrower or other "free MW" habilities being toned down. Like making the flamethrower  being 6/7 attacks with auto hit, 2+ to wound and rend -3 damage 1. So nearly as powerful as before, but not "here i roll my dice and destroy everything or do nothing" like before, making it very frustrating either for the skaven (when you roll 1/2) or the opponent (when you roll 5/6)

Maybe, in the end I’m just happy when the flamethrower will still have a existence in the new battletome

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ledha said:

This was sort of the assumption I had with both Warpfire and with the Cannons (to a different extent, maybe they will actually have a to hit stat). It seems to work for 40k so it seemed likely for them to bring it over.

That said, MW's are pretty common now and can go off rather easily so I wouldn't expect it to get toned down too much. Of course the ease of which we can get our MW's off is definitely a little different than most.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Mmm, nerfing the warpfire thrower would be an improvement (or... less of a deterioration?) than it not being in the book altogether.

Has anyone found it particularly powerful though? It's an 8" range- i always found them pretty limited in use.

3 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Has anyone found it particularly powerful though? It's an 8" range- i always found them pretty limited in use.

They've been great when you weave them into a pack of Clanrats, but aside from that or taking them in Gautfyre, they've had limited use for me and often get picked off quickly.

Edited by Gwendar

3 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

I don't find them to be that strong. I don't think they need any changes, the most would be slightly upping the points cost to 80 or 90. Their range is low and their save is very poor, I usually just bring them to fill in remaining 70-140 points in my lists. They already have to risk getting in charge range, getting shot down before they do anything, and blowing themselves up with the overcharge.  I feel that's plenty of downsides, and should be some examples of how GW could consider nerfing other skryre units instead of just throwing in more ways for them to blow themselves up with spells/overcharging.

Thanquol needs his Warpfire throwers toned down however. 2d6 mortal wounds for free is a bit too strong.

His unique spell needs an upgrade too. (Maybe dealing d3 mortal wounds to all enemy units in a line maybe, D6 wounds if they are skaven units in the way.) 

It would reflect his habit of getting his minions killed, while making more than just Arcane Bolt but worse. 

Edited by Envyus

58 minutes ago, Envyus said:

Thanquol needs his Warpfire throwers toned down however. 2d6 mortal wounds for free is a bit too strong.

His unique spell needs an upgrade too. (Maybe dealing d3 mortal wounds to all enemy units in a line maybe, D6 wounds if they are skaven units in the way.) 

It would reflect his habit of getting his minions killed, while making more than just Arcane Bolt but worse. 

I think thanquol needs his entire warscroll redone. Right now he's just a 400 pt mortal wound cannon and nothing else, his melee options aren't as good and if the warpfire throwers get nerfed then he will likely be a pretty underpowered character for his points cost. They could go about this many ways, but I'd like if they nerfed both weapons a little but combined them so you didn't have to pick between braziers or the projectors. His spell and command ability are rather weak too, those could use some changes.

on the GW website, there are :

- 2x types of verminus warlord
- 2x types of skryre warlock (not inc arch-warlock)
- 2x types of eshin assassin
- 2x types of pestilens plague priest (furnace and standalone)
- 2x types of grey seer (bell and standalone)
- 2x types of packmaster (standalone and 1 inthe box with ogres/rats)

Will each one of those represent a different type of hero with different options/abilities/command abilities/spells/prayers and points costs?

I think it might.

Gosh i hope the freaking arch-warlock gets a CA! More-more-more something dangerous and destructive!!

Edited by Nikobot

What about potential variants on existing kits in DOK cauldron-of-slaughter style?
Think there is any scope or GW will utilise the existing kits to create more unit variants?
Here's a few potential ideas...

Thanquol & Boneripper

• Thanquol on foot --> Venerable Grey Seer - a senior grey seer like the arch-warlock is to a warlock
  • Boneripper standalone --> Stormfiend Juggernaut/Prime - the pinnacle of Moulder/Skryre collaboration!! a standlone behemoth that doesn't have to be unique.

Doomwheel

• Doomwheel hero variant --> Could be a unique character or just a hero but using the same kit as an upgraded hero version

Stormvermin

• Deathvermin variant --> supposed to be the most elite stormvermin, could they use the same unit and allow 1 unit to be nominated as Deathvermin?

Warp lighting cannon

• Engineer with spyglass/dumpy on foot --> Engineer Acolyte  - a 3w mini-hero that buffs weapons teams and war machines, but doesn't cast spells

Plague Furnace

• Plague acolytes + warpstone brazier --> Clan Pestilens plague fumigator. A shrine to the horned rat to buff prayers

Verminlords

• Mixing and matching some vermin lords arms/heads to create to new variants

Hellpit abomination

• Hellpit variants - utilising the additional arm in the kit to create 2 variants a bit of variety

ok some of these may be a stretch, but maybe there is some potential we may see arise there based on precedent

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nikobot said:

What about potential variants on existing kits in DOK cauldron-of-slaughter style?
Think there is any scope or GW will utilise the existing kits to create more unit variants?
Here's a few potential ideas...

Stormvermin

• Deathvermin variant --> supposed to be the most elite stormvermin, could they use the same unit and allow 1 unit to be nominated as Deathvermin?

Jai, Queek Headtaker and his glorious red guard are back😀😂

Edited by Skreech Verminking

Just for those who check here before the community site:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/07/chaos-battletome-skaven-endless-spells/

The rules for the vortexes are much cooler than the models ;) Makes it worth it for me. Things hindering movement are amazing! MW are a bonus.

The Bell is great fluff wise and i'm guessing gamewise as well. No battleshock and the potential to blow itself up on a roll of 13... Count me in. 

Rat swarm... mheh. it's basically the spider swarm but without the cool, the come from terrain set up ability. 

The 3 Gnawholes, it doesn't say how set up goes, which is so defining. But.. you can teleport one unit wholly within 6 to one of the others if there is also a hero within six at the starting point. Love those shenanigans but... 40 rats in 6" of the gnawhole is tough and even worse when you have to also be outside of 9" and within 6" upon arriving. Still cool, just need to play a few games to see how that goes. Also they are obstacles.

Edited by Kramer

7 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Just for those who check here before the community site:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/07/chaos-battletome-skaven-endless-spells/

The rules for the vortexes are much cooler than the models ;) Makes it worth it for me. Things hindering movement are amazing! MW are a bonus.

The Bell is great fluff wise and i'm guessing gamewise as well. No battleshock and the potential to blow itself up on a roll of 13... Count me in. 

Rat swarm... mheh. it's basically the spider swarm but without the cool, the come from terrain set up ability. 

The 3 Gnawholes, it doesn't say how set up goes, which is so defining. But.. you can teleport one unit wholly within 6 to one of the others if there is also a hero within six at the starting point. Love those shenanigans but... 40 rats in 6" of the gnawhole is tough and even worse when you have to also be outside of 9" and within 6" upon arriving. Still cool, just need to play a few games to see how that goes. Also they are obstacles.

Saw it.

its really interesting what kind of shenanigans, skaven are getting right now.

now the only thing missing and what interests me most is how the allegiance ability’s of the master and clan Eshin works.