AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

@Num In smaller games at 1K, highly recommend a warlock engineer. At 100 points, he can potentially deal 1d6 wounds a turn with his spell that only needs a five at a 18'' range. If you want to cut a lightning cannon as mentioned above, this would be my replacement. It saves you enough points for a command point for spamming skritches ability. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Umjammerlama said:

There could be some news at the Las Vegas Open. They made some announcements last year, hopefully they will do the same this year

Well hopefully we get an announcement about the skaven battletome and expansion today and they save LVO to show off the 35 new plastic kits we are getting :)

• Haha 3

I'd wager Skaven won't hear much until Slaanesh is out. The only thing we might get is the release date for the combined box. Otherwise GW is front loading AoS with a few too many "coming soon" releases without delivery. And I wager we won't hear much from either of them until Cultists are out, which I'm wagering might be next week (we'll have to wait and see later today on what goes up on the GW store). 

1 hour ago, Overread said:

I'd wager Skaven won't hear much until Slaanesh is out. The only thing we might get is the release date for the combined box. Otherwise GW is front loading AoS with a few too many "coming soon" releases without delivery. And I wager we won't hear much from either of them until Cultists are out, which I'm wagering might be next week (we'll have to wait and see later today on what goes up on the GW store). 

That’s a lot wagers ;) 

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Well at least this would give me enough time to finish painting my boc army, befor I fall into a deep skavenhypepaintingfrenzy

Edited by Skreech Verminking

Hello! I'm thinking about building Skaven army for a while and I like Clan Verminus the most. But, I have some Skyre stuff too, because I have old Thunder and Blood starter pack.  Can you please give me some recommendations when to start building Skavens? Should I build just one clan, or can I mix it by some usefull way? OR Should I just be patient and wait for new battletome? Thanks :)

23 minutes ago, Orzo said:

Hello! I'm thinking about building Skaven army for a while and I like Clan Verminus the most. But, I have some Skyre stuff too, because I have old Thunder and Blood starter pack.  Can you please give me some recommendations when to start building Skavens? Should I build just one clan, or can I mix it by some usefull way? OR Should I just be patient and wait for new battletome? Thanks :)

Waiting for the battletome is definitely the better way right now.

but if you really just can’t wait, I’d recommend you to start a mixed skaven force.

playimg them mixed gives you the option to literally just take what you like. The downside in it though, is that you need at least 40-60clanrats as battleline right now. Since they are the only generic battleline for the skaven.

Just now, Skreech Verminking said:

Waiting for the battletome is definitely the better way right now.

but if you really just can’t wait, I’d recommend you to start a mixed skaven force.

playimg them mixed gives you the option to literally just take what you like. The downside in it though, is that you need at least 40-60clanrats as battleline right now. Since they are the only generic battleline for the skaven.

Thanks, to be honest, this is exactly what I wanted to read :). If clanrats are basic battleline, I can just start with them and wait for the battletome for the rest of the army. I really don't want to start something now what I would not be using later. :)

4 minutes ago, Orzo said:

Thanks, to be honest, this is exactly what I wanted to read :). If clanrats are basic battleline, I can just start with them and wait for the battletome for the rest of the army. I really don't want to start something now what I would not be using later. :)

Do check the thread below as well, since there's a reasonably high chance that GW will remove metal models when they update Skaven. Thus some might vanish from the store, now GW might release new sculpts and kits to replace them; or they might not. Or they might release them but not for another year or uncertain period of time. 
So if there's some sculpts you really like the look of in metal then I'd say they are good buys now. Ebay already has many of them, but interestingly (at least UK ebay) has most priced higher than getting them brand new from GW (eg Skyre Acolytes are near double the price on ebay even though GW still sells them direct). 

@OrzoAlso to add I'm much in the same position of deciding to start a Skaven army. Right now I've grabbed a few metal sculpts that I like. I've focused more on things that are one-off (eg a hero or leader) rather than those that might be closer troops and thus require more models to work (eg acolytes or gutter runners). 

I'd say many of the newer plastic models are fairly safe investments and that, after the Goblin Gitz and Beasts of Chaos Battletomes; there's a high chance that any new Skaven tome will be a single book that combines all armies; with options within to allow for Clan specific forces. So going general makes a lot of sense; its unlikely that investing in things like Clan Rats would be a waste and its very unlikely that plastic kits will get replaced (the most likely is the rat ogres kit since GW already released new ogres but only in the Blood Island starter set years ago with High Elves; much of that getting caught in the crossfire that was the launch of AoS - so they've got masters for those models and we might see new ones appear). 

Thanks, seems legit. I don't need any metal models , I'm ok with plastic ones - and it's even better if my Thuner and Blood models will fit other clan rats.  Only think I'm worried about is that there will be much better battleline group then clan rats in new battletome. Lets just hope it won't happen :)

4 minutes ago, Orzo said:

Thanks, seems legit. I don't need any metal models , I'm ok with plastic ones - and it's even better if my Thuner and Blood models will fit other clan rats.  Only think I'm worried about is that there will be much better battleline group then clan rats in new battletome. Lets just hope it won't happen :)

Well well I’m guessing that the battleline option you can have will be similar to the Boc or ggz.

in other words, we might be able to field Stormvermins as battleline when a Skaven Warlord is the General etc..

I played a doubles event over the weekend and ran Clan Verminus for the first time.

Warlord (Crown of Conquest, Cunning Deceiver)

Arch Warlock

40 Clanrats

40 Stormvermin

Chronomatic Cogs

My partner was running Ironjaws (Megaboss, 2 units of Brutes, 2 unites of Gore Gruntas, Warchanter, Weirdnob Shaman). Basically our plan was to run up and smash things before we got smashed. This worked exceptionally well against newer players, but against more experienced players it was a lot harder to pull off.

40 Stormvermin can absolutely chew through anything as long as they get to hit first. Target priority was key to success here, and since it was a doubles event we had to make sure that both our armies were in a position where the Stormvermin could strike first and the rest of our units that were in combat would be able to take a hit.

Game 1 - Shifting Objectives vs Tzeench and Beasts of Chaos

Major Victory

We cast the cogs and sped up time then ran forward to try and swamp the objectives. A big grind fest in the middle where the Stormvermin's +1 to hit for outnumbering the enemy unit really showed its worth. It didn't help our opponents that their Herdstone affected the Tzeench units negatively. Arch Warlock taking down a Doombull in combat was a great show.

Game 2 - Knife to The Heart vs Kharadron Overlords and Fireslayers

Major Victory

Sneaky sneaky Clanrats. While my teammate distracted the opponents with big green guys yelling and stomping around, I sent the Clanrats around the side and did a reatreat and charge onto the objective to get a Major Victory turn three. The whole game the Stormvermin just sat on the home objective and did nothing.

Game 3 - Starstrike vs Legion of Sacrament and Kharadron Overlords

Minor Loss

This is where things started falling apart. We didn't really have an answer for Arkhan, who sat on top of a rock out of harms way the whole game. The combination of the bodies that Death brings to the table and the shooting from the KO was too much for us. Once the Warlord died the Stormvermin fell apart. We managed to draw on points but lost on kill points.

Game 4  - Focal Points vs Tzeench and Pestilens

Major Loss

By this point my teammate and I were beaten down and tired and didn't have much hope for a victory. It turned out to be a lot closer than we thought, so maybe if we had tried a little harder things may have been different. Stormvermin tried to kill the chicken, did not succeed. Highlight was one lonely Gore Grunta taking the brunt of the Pestilens force all by himself.

We placed third overall which I am very happy about. Most importantly we had a blast playing Age of Sigmar all weekend. 

• Like 2

Hey there! Getting back to AoS and need help with a list building! I have the following:

1x Arch Warlock

1x Grey Seer

2x Warlock Engineers

2x Skaven Warlords

3x packmaster

1x Verminlord Warpseer

60x Clanrats

40x Giant rats

10x Skryre Acolytes

2x rat ogors

2x poisoned mortars

2x Warpfire throwers

6x Stormfiends (magnetized)

1x Warplighting Cannon

1x Doomwheel

Hoping to have the Warpseer in a list but the rest I'm open to opinions! 

Well if your going mixed, you’ll definitely need the 60clanrats. The next best option seems to be your 6stormfiends, which I’d use in two groups of threes.

Still this is just my oppinion.

so literally, if I would be you I’d just take what ever you like the most into your armylist.

want those 6Stormfiends to be apart of it, take them want the Warpseer  to be your general, just do it.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

42 minutes ago, Skavelynn said:

Clanrats currently SOO on the US store. Imminent reboxing?

A lot of Skaven things are going this way (@Overread for his thread on what models are SOO) so it is safe to say that if you want anything in metal, now is the time. Clanrats were never actually re-boxed so it's probably a given that's what's happening here as they will almost assuredly be made into battleline for everything.

Edited by Gwendar