AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I'll try not to get too hyped up...

Remember Skritch Spiteclaw... We fantasized pages and pages long on this thread. They released a warscroll and we were OMG such powercreep! Made dozens of lists that abused his power. And then the unit did not end so great after all... And got even nerfed a few weeks later. I painted mine, it's a great sculpt, but boy that was some over-hype and a day one purchase I regret...

I pray the Great Horned Rat that this is finally a release that (1) brings beautiful yet powerful models, (2) just boosts the power of Skavens in general so we can play them to some competitive level.

If they include the Doomwheel in the starter box, I also hope they change its warscroll...

I suppose the Bombardier will have a warscroll somewhere in between an Arch-Warlock and a Warlock Engineer. One spell, some powerful range nuke, of course that will bear the risk of self-destruction.

Random thought: pick a point within 24" and roll a dice. On a 2+, all units within 3" of that point suffer D3 MW. On a 1, the Warlock Bombardier suffers D6 MW. And then some aura that boosts nearby war machines...

What are your creative predictions? :D I know it's useless because they're going to reveal the warscroll soon anyway... Oh well, I guess I'm also aboard the hype train and am going to pre-order just like I did with Skritch...

Edited by Num
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure a combined skaven book is in the works. This is like the 3rd "semi-concrete" evidence of a skaven book imo.

Though whos to say Skryre isn't feeling generous this time around? Remember Stormfiends are what happened after they combined their power with moulder rat ogres. Maybe things like Eshin Assassins with Sniper Rifles are a possibility. Looking at the Gobbapalooza, I can imagine a Skaven version of that with a bunch of crazy ratmen models.

2 hours ago, Num said:

That clanrat on the left has a gas mask... Wild dream: perhaps clanrats will be customizable depending on their allegiance (such as by putting a gas mask head for a Skryre clanrat)...

Or maybe a proper Skryre acolyte kit. Which then you could put said heads onto a clanrat.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Num said:

I found a zoom of the box cover art: https://www.artstation.com/sidwill/albums/47539

igor-sid-45-skaven-vs-fleasheater-2.jpg?

That clanrat on the left has a gas mask... Wild dream: perhaps clanrats will be customizable depending on their allegiance (such as by putting a gas mask head for a Skryre clanrat)...

So from the looks of it clanrats May be a part of a possible skaven faction release.

On 1/5/2019 at 2:09 PM, Skreech Verminking said:

Got a picture of the back of the box.

sadly there isn’t really anything special about it.

Although i did notice 2books shown at the left corner.

maybe this books contain some allegiance ability for the skaven faction.

just like they did when Nurgle was first introduced, with the stormcast eternal starter box set.

A9949F0C-2846-4A72-889B-D50E90C79D6F.png

Regardless! A new skaven is a great sight. I'm glad they are getting some love. About time. I hope this isn't a 1 time thing to shut us Skaven players up.

Aerherquartz brooch - each time you use a CP, on a 5+ you get it back. What are peoples opinions on this artefact? Across 5 rounds + 1 starting CP that's a total of 6 CP. With this artefact you would statistically end up with a total of 8 in this situation.
Is it worth it?

4 hours ago, gronnelg said:

Aerherquartz brooch - each time you use a CP, on a 5+ you get it back. What are peoples opinions on this artefact? Across 5 rounds + 1 starting CP that's a total of 6 CP. With this artefact you would statistically end up with a total of 8 in this situation.
Is it worth it?

I mean, it's good I suppose but honestly I think most of us here would prefer to use the Crown to keep a few units alive at once and maybe even go 50-100 under to bank a few right at the start. The Crown would allow to save some CP over time anyway, assuming you keep the bearer out of combat. 

• Like 1

Yeah, we could go into Aetherquartz brooch if we would still have Clawpack Battalions, because battleshock immunity and two ways to generate CPs  would be so good. Aetherquartz brooch will probably never be good for us, because when we will finally have battalions back we'll also have battletome and our own artefacts.

• Like 2

@gronnelg I would say yes. The only thing is finding uses for the command points in skryre. We do have lots of tunneling, I suppose re-rolling those important surprise charges is handy.  Personally, I always ally in Verminlord Warpseer for skryre and the brooch is quite handy for a 33% chance each turn to get a free unit of giant rat chump units. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

@gronnelg I would say yes. The only thing is finding uses for the command points in skryre. We do have lots of tunneling, I suppose re-rolling those important surprise charges is handy.  Personally, I always ally in Verminlord Warpseer for skryre and the brooch is quite handy for a 33% chance each turn to get a free unit of giant rat chump units. 

I would definitely agree that having more to fuel the Giant Rats is great for Skryre who lack bodies unless you ally in Clanrats. I typically go 100 under on lists with the Warpseer just to summon a bunch of them turn 1. I find that my tunneling units are generally not in the short range needed to get charge re-rolls but if that isn't an issue then it's another good use.

Of course...I tend to roll 6's on BS when 1 Stormfiend dies so I've started using CP to prevent that from happening again.

Im getting into Skaven soon, most of all Clan verminus over everything else, love the aesthetics, the question is, how viable it would be to put together a list without a Verminlord, as i absolutely hate the aesthetics of it and most of the other newer models, it would look very much out of place with the more classic looking rats and im pretty ****** about things like that :L Not to mention the Verminlords look like if you stare at it hard enough itll snap in three. Also, can I run units from other keywords, such as ratling guns and so on, and keep the verminus keyword if i have the correct amount of battlelines and so on?

Edited by CATS

4 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

@Gwendar oh see thats your mistake right there: you let a stormfiend die. tsk tsk. 

I expect as much when a unit of shock gauntlets deletes a 20-40 man horde in one turn or warpfire kills a couple heroes that got within 8". From that point on people tend to not like them and they get targeted pretty heavily.