AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

16 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

I very much agree with what everyone wants for the ratty-men. I'm far more curious how long you're willing to wait for it. An early fix this year or even this year might be underwhelming for all of you based on what you want. Sooner with lower breadth of release or later with the full treatment. Why  would you want to wait for it versus why get a quick fix now?

Regarding the new direction of the Grot faction, i wouldn't even need for GW to give skaven the full new release treatment to be happy. I would be very happy with a complete consolidation tome and a couple new units and spells. New units, endless spells or some kind of gnarlmaw mechanic that allows for board mobility, like a gnawhole or spawn pit to deploy your units with. But i don't need a full release like nighthaunt or grots got.

Units i would like to see would be something along the lines of:

New eshin models. Some kind of lesser verminlord daemons. Bigger warmachines for skryre, like a big drill or the twin tail comet machine from total war 2. Maybe some new plagued pestilens rat ogres or explosive bloated rats. I would also like to see something completely new like the rumored skybound skaven with flying machines.

Now that i think of it, i want lots of new models! I wouldn't mind waiting either.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Kraxriket said:

Regarding the new direction of the Grot faction, i wouldn't even need for GW to give skaven the full new release treatment to be happy. I would be very happy with a complete consolidation tome and a couple new units and spells. New units, endless spells or some kind of gnarlmaw mechanic that allows for board mobility, like a gnawhole or spawn pit to deploy your units with. But i don't need a full release like nighthaunt or grots got.

Units i would like to see would be something along the lines of:

New eshin models. Some kind of lesser verminlord daemons. Bigger warmachines for skryre, like a big drill or the twin tail comet machine from total war 2. Maybe some new plagued pestilens rat ogres or explosive bloated rats. I would also like to see something completely new like the rumored skybound skaven with flying machines.

Now that i think of it, i want lots of new models! I wouldn't mind waiting either.

Agreed!

You know, I was speaking with the local GW manager a few months back and she has been frustrated with the lack of Skaven support since AoS first released. Because of Total War 2, Vermintide 2 and other media heavily featuring Skaven coming out, a ton of people have wanted to get into building armies with them but when they come to the store they find out that she really only carries Pestilens, Stormfiends, Warlords\Grey Seer, and Verminlords and that's about it. This then leaves her in a rough spot of trying to sell them to people when it seems obvious that they aren't fully supported like all the other things that she has plenty of in-house stock on and can really turn them off to the hobby since "all they wanted was Skaven".

Of course, you can order things online or get them shipped to the store but again,  for a lot of people they don't want an army that appears to be unsupported when the physical stores have almost no trace of them.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Sad 1

When the Skaven return, they will be a major release. Skaven are the most iconic Warhammer race in history. They are behind every calamity, every Great War in some capacity, and have been a part of the main storyline even into AoS with the Gnaw-holes. They’re definitely going back into one book, and I can see lots of updated boxed sets that weren’t updated in 2009. Most of those models from the 2009 release are incredible and probably won’t be touched.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Scythian said:

When the Skaven return, they will be a major release. Skaven are the most iconic Warhammer race in history. They are behind every calamity, every Great War in some capacity, and have been a part of the main storyline even into AoS with the Gnaw-holes. They’re definitely going back into one book, and I can see lots of updated boxed sets that weren’t updated in 2009. Most of those models from the 2009 release are incredible and probably won’t be touched.

Fully agree with you there.

Models like Stormvermins clanrats etc. Look fantastic.

the only modelrange which really need an updated are almost everything that is included in the skyre, Eshin, and moulder  line.

(Although almost ervyyhing that is included in the pestilencerange is made out of plastic, units like the plague monks and censer bearers really need an update too)

edit: so units that in from my view need an upgrade would be:

-nightrunners

-gutterrunners

-Skaven assassin

-rat ogres

-giant rats

-packmaster

-Arch warlock

-warlock engineer

-all 4weapon teams

and last but not least skyre acolytes.

So in other words 13whole units (I see what you did there Gw, perfect number for new skaven model releases) really would love to get a more ratty and good looking remodeled update.

edit: forgot to add rest of the pestilence range.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

I'd bet money they aren't just going to release new models for the same existing units. That just doesn't seem to be what they are doing unless they are the "temporary fixer-upper" tomes like LoN and BoC, in which case no models get redone.

The primary goal for AOS seems all about creating new factions and expanding existing forces with new units they see merit in doing so... away from WHFB.

Happily agree Skaven probably will be a major release at some point, whether a LoN style tome happens in the interim is quite possible, but when they do the "real development" with them I highly doubt it will be to only release new models of the same units again only, there will be something new and creative to go with it.

That's what is getting them points right now. Look and moonclan, quite a few new things to complement their old.

Also I wouldn't be surprised at all if at least 1 Skaven clan gets its own book, Skryre and Pestilens already have GHB allegiances, Pestilens its own battletome (albeit 1st iteration thereof which wasnt even worthy of being called a tome) and enough lore and foundation to merit expansion. Look at Dwarves, already Fyreslayers and Kharadron have their own battletomes. Dark Elves got DoK.

Eventually, something is going to change to Skaven as we know it.

Edited by Nikobot

I do not think they will continue to support all the factions in separate tomes. I think pestilens tome came out at a time where they had this idea to have many factions and they have taken a step back.   I think it will be 1 skaven tome, with rules for the different clans.  That's a ton of warscrolls, but otherwise something is gonna get left out of the update and have to wait even longer. I bet most skaven players even prefer consolidating to play a larger variety of their existing or new models. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

I do not think they will continue to support all the factions in separate tomes. I think pestilens tome came out at a time where they had this idea to have many factions and they have taken a step back.   I think it will be 1 skaven tome, with rules for the different clans.  That's a ton of warscrolls, but otherwise something is gonna get left out of the update and have to wait even longer. I bet most skaven players even prefer consolidating to play a larger variety of their existing or new models. 

So do I.

(also it seems like that it is anyways Gws idea of combining them back together.

otherwise the malign portents short story would make no sense)

ps: also there has been rumors  that new Maschinerie and updated models should be coming for skyre out sometimes.

probaly means that a Gloomspite Gitz release for the skaven will be a thing 

• Like 1

Its time for Skaven as a new faction! No more man things and tail-less filth. 

I would love it if Skaven split off as their own faction with personal allegiance abilities and ongoing support. Splashing non-skaven just feels wrong.

Perhaps even an entirely new (or re-used) clan. Skaven sky pirates or a Ninja faction would be amazing. I would love if they took the road like Nezumi in MTG Kamigawa.

56 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Its time for Skaven as a new faction! No more man things and tail-less filth.

Definitely the time has come for a skaven uprising.

I would love it if Skaven split off as their own faction with personal allegiance abilities and ongoing support. Splashing non-skaven just feels wrong.

Yeah, for some faction I believe a split would be possible.

eshin is a perfect candidate for such a position.

evey other clan really needs a more or less support of the warrior classes stormvermin and clanrats (with which the allies system just won’t do) .

Perhaps even an entirely new (or re-used) clan. Skaven sky pirates or a Ninja faction would be amazing. I would love if they took the road like Nezumi in MTG Kamigawa.

I don’t really see a reason why the skaven race should ever make there ways into the skies, since we always were a faction that likes the underdeths more.

but then again so did the dwarf and some of them chose to instead build skyhavens, so I guess anything is possible🤗

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

Why not a LoN style book? A lot on the malign portent arc pointed at Ulgu Skaven clan (eshin style).

A LoN book would be good, allegiance for Skaven undivided, Pestilence, Skyre and this Ulgu Eshin...maybe some superelite clan moulder (like the troggots for the gloom gitz).

Wouldn't it be fitting?

• LOVE IT! 2

Thats probably what would happen, but then we would be stuck with old models for years and years.

I hope they release a huge update for one of the clans (and eventually all of them) with multiple new kits but I just dont see it happening, Its too much work. And also the Skaven dont really fit into the current lore direction (soul wars) so i dont see them getting any  release this year.

Edited by Ungface

7 hours ago, Ungface said:

Thats probably what would happen, but then we would be stuck with old models for years and years.

I hope they release a huge update for one of the clans (and eventually all of them) with multiple new kits but I just dont see it happening, Its too much work. And also the Skaven dont really fit into the current lore direction (soul wars) so i dont see them getting any  release this year.

Nah skaven fit perfectly in the lore.

Literally everybody who plays the fish-things should be thanking us afterall if it wouldn’t have been for the wrongly placed gnawhole, they would have probably never shown themselves. 

Same goes for the other faction what would have happened if our assassins didn’t fumble around in the black pyramid.

no sorry I loosed myself, what I wanted to say is, we fit perfectly into the lore.

The same as Gloomspite Gitz fit it.

although both of these faction well aren’t really after souls, but than again there are only the new Aelve faction, poster-things and all death follower that really fit the lore of spulwars.

anyways if you look closely to every army who were combined or got a battletome, you’ll notice how most of there models are still looking good.

for instance, in the lon range we have almost only plastic models, also the lon book got a huge update, thanks to the noghhaunt beeing released.

now they are able to field almost if the newly released ghost.

We might not have gotten any new models (exception braytome, endless spells) but most of these models still look fantastic. And there are only 3models who are made out of finecast, so there was no great point in changing them really?

If we go back to the skaven range we can literally see that seventy five Prozent of the armyrange is either not available or made out of finecast or metal.

also these models look horrible mostly.

In other words they literally have to remodel some of these well not so great looking models. Showing of with the malign sorcery story’s that skaven still exist and are waiting to take over the world is a huge hint towards some kind of campaign following hopfully next year.

not updating any models and only releasing a battletome for such a campaign, would leave the very cunning company in dust, since they won’t really earn any money. And I don’t believe that’s what they’re intention is. Skaven are a Army where they can literally squeeze every live drop out of us players, and not using this opportunity would be just idiotic.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:07 PM, Skreech Verminking said:

Definitely the time has come for a skaven uprising.

Yeah, for some faction I believe a split would be possible.

eshin is a perfect candidate for such a position.

evey other clan really needs a more or less support of the warrior classes stormvermin and clanrats (with which the allies system just won’t do) .

I don’t really see a reason why the skaven race should ever make there ways into the skies, since we always were a faction that likes the underdeths more.

but then again so did the dwarf and some of them chose to instead build skyhavens, so I guess anything is possible🤗

You have a point about the underdepths. In a way I keep seeing the sky as some goal of skryre pride to go for.  They cannot let filthy dwarf things out-do them after all. They are by far the smartest among all Skaven after all.

Either way, I really hope they finally get some love. How long has it been? 4 years now? Not counting skritch that is.

23 minutes ago, Kugane said:

You have a point about the underdepths. In a way I keep seeing the sky as some goal of skryre pride to go for.  They cannot let filthy dwarf things out-do them after all. They are by far the smartest among all Skaven after all.

Either way, I really hope they finally get some love. How long has it been? 4 years now? Not counting skritch that is.

Yes sadly it has been 4years if we disenclude the pestilence battletome which was a joke, and also traitor-things don’t count, it has been, I don’t know 5-6years.  the skaven really should be getting a release soon, and I mean a big one.

• Like 2