AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Has anyone considered an Eshin list? (Forgive me if this is not the right place to add this!)

I was thinking of something like:

Allegiance: Eshin

LEADERS

Verminlord Deceiver (300)

Verminlord Deceiver (300)

Skaven Assassin (100) - Fighting Claws 

Plague Priest (80) - Allies

Arch Warlock (140) - Allies

UNITS

20 x Gutter Runners (200)

20 x Gutter Runners (200)

40 x Night Runners (360)

WAR MACHINES

Warp Lightning Cannon (180) - Allies

ENDLESS SPELLS

Balewind Vortex (40)

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Soulsnare Shackles (20)

TOTAL: 1980/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 126 LEADERS: 5/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 2/4 ARTILLERY: 1/4 ARTEFACTS: 0/1 ALLIES: 400/400

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Hey skaven regulars, I wish to pose a question: Why do you really want a skaven update this upcoming year? 

Think about all the things you would want in any skaven release, and when it could/should be released, and then consider what GW has done the last few years. 

I'll hold my answer for now. Have fun.

I’ll send you my answer in the evening/ early night.

don’t have much time yet

13 hours ago, Milford said:

*snip*

I play Eshin somewhat regularly, and I love them aesthetically. In practice however I always do far better going Skryre with 80 Clanrat allies.

As for your list, You're pretty much right on point with the Deceiver + Priest combo; it can really make a large gutter runner unit do good shooting and CC damage, especially on the turn you use the prayer and the book. One thing to note here however is your list is illegal due to it's allies. While you don't exceed the ally points limit, you do exceed the number of allies in relation to your Eshin units and if you wanted to bring all 3, you would need to add 3 more Eshin units to the list.

On another note, I really think you lack in bodies and 120 points worth of endless spells doesn't help with that. Gutter and Night Runners are pretty paper thin when you compare them to a Clanrat unit, albeit have some rend. To keep with the mostly Eshin theme, I would drop the WLC and all the endless spells and add 30 more Gutter Runners (1x20 & 1x10\2x5). Alternate take is drop the WLC and add 20 Gutter Runners, keep the Balewind since it pairs so well with the Arch-Warlock and then use the remaining 80 points as you see fit. My preference goes to adding 20-30 points worth of endless spells and then use the remaining 50 for an extra CP as you will need it.

Good luck to you, I love seeing people represent Eshin.

4 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Hey skaven regulars, I wish to pose a question: Why do you really want a skaven update this upcoming year? 

Think about all the things you would want in any skaven release, and when it could/should be released, and then consider what GW has done the last few years. 

I think it's pretty much necessary to make Clanrats battleline for everything and lore-wise makes sense. Outside of that though, I don't think I have anything in particular that wouldn't just come with a combination tome anyway, since that's what we're extremely likely to get.

It seems obvious to me that they're going to get most\all of the older, split apart armies and combine them. Look at BoC, the new Grot book and LoN; they combine sub-factions into a cohesive army that still has uniqueness such as LoN Legions and BoC Greatfrays all while giving them great new rules to up their competitiveness value. Skaven are a perfect fit for this type of treatment due to the distinctive Clans that can (easily?) be brought together... I mean, Vermintides of mixed Clans happen after-all.

Anyway, the Grot book should also show that we could even be likely to get new models as well. I for one would really love some updated Eshin models despite having converted\kitbashed all of my 80 Night Runners and 40 Gutter Runners already.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

There are many things I’d like in a skaven release so let me count them down.

-firstly a allegiance ability that fits them better then the everlasting, getting worse per year grand allegiance chaos.

-secondly a magic lore which would give our wizards a wider range of option they can cast. It is very sad to be only limited to mystical shield, arcane bold, and the given spell on the warscroll.

-thirdly new minis. The skaven faction has a very big range of models needing an update.

-fourthly, should the skaven faction not be combined back together at least make Skaven Warlords, Stormvermins, and clanrats a part of every great clan.

clan pestilence is afterall known to have had pacts and overtaken multiple clans back In the days, same goes for skyre and moulder.

-fifthly, lore, there must be some sort of fluff for the skaven. Afterall everybody wants to know what Thanquol is up to.

-next a Special Verminlord or Skaven Warlord, who is as brutal and cunning as our beloved Queek Headtaker. Would be a wished granted.

-lastly but not least, give ervery grey seer (especially thanquol) an extra spell to cast.

this wizards were ones known to have been the best out there in the old world.

Fielding such mighty wizard which only a small fracture of the magical talented creatures of the realms could be compared to should make you feel unstoppable.

sadly this wizards bring shame with them. Downgraded from a level four wizard who ones could have stood to morathi as an equal, now is only able to cast 1 spell, that’s just sad.

edit: this are the main option I believe the skaven would need for a good update.

of course a new model range or bringing back old unit like warlord on bonebracker ratogre or skavenslaves would be fantastic.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

@Riff_Raff_Rascal I could care less for fluff, but I think a lot of us are now in the mindset of "I'll just take what I can get at this point...". So to me, all I ask is for enough relevant rules to bring us up to par, but I don't want to list the specifics of everything and will leave that to the design team.

I do like that Eshin in particular has been featured and mentioned more and more in recent times, but I don't think that necessarily guarantees anything to happen.

@Gwendar Fair.  You are hitting the topic I'm most intrigued about however and that's "I'll take anything" regardless of the size or quality of release.  I personally want a Grot-like release but I must accept that that takes time. I don't see that happening this year. If we want a rules update, it'll happen in GHB2019 and thats it. GW's schedule this whole next year is already pretty cramped and I too would want additional plastic kits to go along with any release. I would very much want for all skaven players to feel like its their year, with kits, rules, a book and narrative bite. I must ask if its worth feeling so desperate for so little so early and being disappointed that we could've had more. 

Also Eshin is in the air. I can feel it too. 

• Like 1

@Riff_Raff_Rascal Oh, no, I definitely see this being something in the next 1-2 years. That said, BoC kind of came out of nowhere really, albeit it was a smaller release compared to the Grots, but that's to be expected since they had a Harbinger. I believe we would be a larger release considering how much we're represented in media like video games, books, etc..I also forgot to mention that with Slaanesh back, the GHR will be up for some competition and that's enough of a narrative to warrant a release.

I'm not desperate for anything right this second by any means and I would love for them to take their time with it. We aren't in as bad a place as others when we run mixed chaos (most people do) so I can easily hold out longer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Clanrats battleline for all clans.

Allegiance abilities/Spell lores

Fluff

Staying with what we have (rules wise ) *right now* -

1.  One book with all the Clans, roles, Warscrolls, in one spot,   Make easier to put lists together on Azur.

2. Need a Clan Skaven, or Verminous Uber Clan - with Clanrats as Battleline (Core) and Storm Vermin as Battline If a Grey Seer is General.

2.5 Bring back the miscast Irresistible force for the Grey Seer  

3. Put other scrolls in Book too - Skaven Slaves and Battle Standard Bearer

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 11:34 AM, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Hi

I just want the "Beastmen" treatment: clans getting unified in a book with subfactions, pumped allegiances, endless spells, terrain, battallions.

Bonuses would be new sculpts for some old models (most of Eshin, some Skryre), named characters, improved grey seer and stormvermins

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 10:50 AM, Darthvegeta8 said:

Greetings. I am a new Skaven player and picked up 80 secondhand clanrats and a warlord. All square bases though. What is the reigning opinieonderzoek here on mixing basesizes, going pure circular or pure square for Skaven.

Currently I am hoping to build towards a Headtaker themed force. So Clan Mors. I love Stormvermin so plan to field 40 to emulate Headtakers Red Guard. What do you guys think about fielding more Stormvermin than that?

My personal opinieonderzoek ;) had the result that's it's perfectly fine in club and friendly settings. Even with rounds a second rank of 1" range weapons can attack so the difference is minimal. 

On the other hand, it does look much better, but I haven't made the plunge either 😂

6 hours ago, Coyote said:

2.5 Bring back the miscast Irresistible force for the Grey Seer  

Ooh I like that! maybe on any doubles or something but if it's cast irresistible force, failed miscast. And it only happens when you eat one of your D3, warpstone tokens.

I'd like the beasts of chaos unified treatment, but not if it's going to sell us short on some sort of new area of expansion, like broader skryre, or pestilens etc

People keep mentioning unify skaven, but it feels like their unique IP could mean greater things than a simple unifying tome release. If that's a stepping stone then great, as it feels like there is no reason to make any part of skaven redundant. 

I think if they have an overarching allegiance then they might work out an interesting way to blend clans.

Well Pestilence and Moulder could easily go their own route with the grotesqueness of either side.
So easily expandable.
While the techies and Mors could be more or less unified to depict a more generic Skavenforce.
While leaderchoice, batallions and some other nicknacks would allow one to still make something part of either Clan.

Still a single tome would mean it's more likely to be updated. 

Edited by Darthvegeta8

Skaven might well get the Grot style release. Ergo several "armies" combined into a single Battletome. Each able to stand on their own, but also able to freely build a mixed army. 

The bonus there several fold:

1) It means instead of several armies, GW only has one Skaven force to contend with. This means a new model for a niche group is still a viable addition to the force as a whole because any other group can take it without limits. So it can make updates a little more frequent. 

2) Because its all one army the "soup" aspect of taking a mixed force will generally be more balanced than if they are separate forces

3) Because its all one army there's no alliance limits to contend with when building a mixed force. 

4) Organisation wise its a lot easier because instead of having multiple battletomes with shared units (eg clan rats are likely to be shared by most) and then another "mixed/unified" battletome you've instead got one book, one reference source. 

I'd say that would be a great way to approach Skaven, it also means that players who collect skaven are more likely to branch out in-faction because now if you want to add a bit of pestilens you just add a few models; you don't have to buy a new book and worry about how many alliance limits you've got. So I think it would encourage more buying of skaven stuff

Win for GW; win for gamers 

• Like 3

I very much agree with what everyone wants for the ratty-men. I'm far more curious how long you're willing to wait for it. An early fix this year or even this year might be underwhelming for all of you based on what you want. Sooner with lower breadth of release or later with the full treatment. Why  would you want to wait for it versus why get a quick fix now?

16 minutes ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

I very much agree with what everyone wants for the ratty-men. I'm far more curious how long you're willing to wait for it. An early fix this year or even this year might be underwhelming for all of you based on what you want. Sooner with lower breadth of release or later with the full treatment. Why  would you want to wait for it versus why get a quick fix now?

Actually, I’ll gladly wait a whole year, if it’ll mean that also most of our miniature range get an update and we might get some new units. (Would love to have a packmasters riding a 13leg horrific beast.)

although, having to wait another 2-3 years might just be too much.

then again if they’d put up a certain mixed skaven allegiance and some beta rules for the skaven and other army’s until this get their long awaited real update, waiting another 2-3years might be just barely acceptable 

Edited by Skreech Verminking