AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

4 hours ago, Gwendar said:

I have about 30 Acolytes that I occasionally use (or use units of 5 as fillers for some Skryre lists) and I either deepstrike them with a Grinder-team or park them behind Clanrats so they can shoot whatever the Clanrats are in combat with and they do work very well in that capacity.

My store owner disagrees with this and wouldn't allow it. It says that acolytes deploy "at 9"" but they need to be "within 9"" to shoot (so at 8.999999999 inches).

Debatable... But I can't use it myself then :D

3 minutes ago, Num said:

My store owner disagrees with this and wouldn't allow it. It says that acolytes deploy "at 9"" but they need to be "within 9"" to shoot (so at 8.999999999 inches).

that's not just your store owner, those are the rules. The same way a model with 6" range and 18" shooting can't hit enemy models on turn 1 when both teams start MORE THAN 12" from enemy territory. 

If you deepstrike with Acolytes and a Warpgrinder weapon team, they can not shoot anything that turn

6 hours ago, Num said:

Well, I've always agreed that the rules are meant to be more than 9" until the discussion here. I did it once and felt dirty because of various reasons of it seeming obviously not intended. The wording is definitely unclear, but I believe even 8.9999 still technically equals 9, and therefore you're in range...assuming you want to play that way. 

3 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Well, I've always agreed that the rules are meant to be more than 9" until the discussion here. I did it once and felt dirty because of various reasons of it seeming obviously not intended. The wording is definitely unclear, but I believe even 8.9999 still technically equals 9, and therefore you're in range...assuming you want to play that way. 

Well looks like I’ll be using the warpgrinder team, to give my unit of 40Stormvermins a head start. Thanks to the cogs I’ll be able to take a 6inch charge instead of 8

hopfully this’ll be devastating.

(not like the last time they charged a unit of blight kings😒)

Edited by Skreech Verminking

8 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

(not like the last time they charged a unit of blight kings😒)

I'm sorry for your loss, I think I can imagine how that may have went. Luckily, no Nurgle players around here, only Tzeentch and Khorne. I say luckily but Tzeentch is generally the biggest headache. The guy always manages to have 1 Pink Horror left...

Anyway, I'm only saying I tried that one time and I just don't know if I can bring myself to do it again. The wording clearly allows it in my mind "if there is an accompanying unit, set it up anywhere within 3" of the grinder-team and 9" from any enemy models". So to me, this seems to inherit the "within 3"" of the grinder-team since it doesn't then specify more than 9" like almost everything else does, therefore making it effectively say "within 9"". But that's the thing, most things are explicitly more than 9", so was it a wording mistake, or intended as some cheatsy Skaven mechanic? The Deceiver allows a hero unit to be placed more than 6" and the Tenebrael Shard can be placed within 3", so who knows.

Sounds like another rules team question, although they never did email me back about the Skryre sparks interaction with Shock Gauntlets. 

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

I'm sorry for your loss, I think I can imagine how that may have went. Luckily, no Nurgle players around here, only Tzeentch and Khorne. I say luckily but Tzeentch is generally the biggest headache. The guy always manages to have 1 Pink Horror left...

Anyway, I'm only saying I tried that one time and I just don't know if I can bring myself to do it again. The wording clearly allows it in my mind "if there is an accompanying unit, set it up anywhere within 3" of the grinder-team and 9" from any enemy models". So to me, this seems to inherit the "within 3"" of the grinder-team since it doesn't then specify more than 9" like almost everything else does, therefore making it effectively say "within 9"". But that's the thing, most things are explicitly more than 9", so was it a wording mistake, or intended as some cheatsy Skaven mechanic? The Deceiver allows a hero unit to be placed more than 6" and the Tenebrael Shard can be placed within 3", so who knows.

Sounds like another rules team question, although they never did email me back about the Skryre sparks interaction with Shock Gauntlets. 

It’s funny i still won, thanks to the many meatshields I owned on the table, but my 500p if 40stormvermin, didn’t do anything.

i overbuffed them with spitetail so they’d be able to dish out 4attacks per model.

sadly he had his buffs out, in such a way, that i was only hitting on fours and had to reroll all hit roles of 6.

in the end I only killed 3and a half blight kings from his twenty man unit.

if it weren’t for my buffed stormfiends with shock gauntlets, his death star would have probably done a lot more damage.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ungface said:

Surely if you set up 9 inches away and your weapon range is 9 inches than they can shoot?

I think it's more a debate on RAI vs RAW. At least for me anyway. I actually tried it again with 20 Acolytes yesterday and it really isn't all that dirty considering what other factions/models can do (only killed about 5 Witch Aelves before they got charged by a Cauldron and wiped clean). I think I just felt bad for doing it that one time as it was against a newer player and he didn't like having Acolytes kill 2 1/2 Stormfiends with one volley...but such is the game. 

Either way, it's currently written that the accompanying unit is setup within 9" and not more than, so do what you will with that until it gets changed, if ever. 

2 hours ago, Gwendar said:

I think it's more a debate on RAI vs RAW. At least for me anyway. I actually tried it again with 20 Acolytes yesterday and it really isn't all that dirty considering what other factions/models can do (only killed about 5 Witch Aelves before they got charged by a Cauldron and wiped clean). I think I just felt bad for doing it that one time as it was against a newer player and he didn't like having Acolytes kill 2 1/2 Stormfiends with one volley...but such is the game. 

Either way, it's currently written that the accompanying unit is setup within 9" and not more than, so do what you will with that until it gets changed, if ever. 

The French translation is extremely weird and adds to the confusion.

Rather than writing "within 9" or "more than 9" they actually wrote a mixture of both that is grammatically incorrect.... They wrote "within more than 9"" :D: "à au plus de 9" (within would be "à au plus 9" and more than would be "à plus de 9")

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Num said:

Rather than writing "within 9" or "more than 9" they actually wrote a mixture of both that is grammatically incorrect.... They wrote "within more than 9"" :D: "à au plus de 9" (within would be "à au plus 9" and more than would be "à plus de 9")

Yeah, that really doesn't help 😂

15 hours ago, Num said:

Rather than writing "within 9" or "more than 9" they actually wrote a mixture of both that is grammatically incorrect.... They wrote "within more than 9"" : "à au plus de 9" (within would be "à au plus 9" and more than would be "à plus de 9")

Oh god and there I thought I would be finally done with the French language.

Lurker here, last summer there was mention of “Mulriple Verminlord” list ideas, but at the time no one had run any..,

My next major undertaking for 2019 will be running a 3-4 Verminlord list.

(Caveat - AFTER I finish acquiring, assembling and paint the rest of my Bloodthirster Council)

Which builds would you bring into a 2000 list?  

I’m thinking if only 1 - probably the Warpseer?

if 2  eshin and Corruptor or Eshin and Warbringer?

What are your thoughts?

So I've picked up a bunch more clanrats to fill out 2 battleline slots for 1000pts, currently sat at 820pts but looking to pick up another warp lightning cannon to fill the last points.

What should I be looking to add to bring the army up to 1500-2000pts? So far I've been thinking about including stormfiends, a verminlord (not too sure which I like just yet) more clanrats, a few endless spells (soulsnare shackles, the burning head) and possibly allies from chaos in general (not too sure about this though)

Thanks for the help

@Pyro5torm Skryre is always a good source of punch from either Stormfiends or Cannon's. Generally if I use a cannon, I try to use 2 minimum, but that isn't required. One still puts plenty of pressure on people with it's threat range.

Outside of that, I find that generally you need the minimum 120 Clanrats and a Warlord, could even bring along a unit of 20+ Stormvermin to act as your hammer unit in case you don't want the Stormfiends. Granted, Grinderfist\Flayer Stormfiends can be good at taking out high-armored targets in the backline if you can get off that 9" charge or if you manage to even call them up in the first place. In my current setup I only use the Warpgnaw or the Deceiver as both have great utility uses and do good damage.

I would really recommend an Arch-Warlock as he is surprisingly tanky and can cast 2 spells per turn so most of the time he volunteers to be on a Balewind for a 2+ save. I generally stay away from Endless Spells outside of static ones such as the Balewind, Shackles, etc. and find that most of the time I would rather have more units than endless spells when it comes to Skaven lists.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Would an Arch-Warlock on a Balewind Vortex with Mystic Shield be quite a nice little tank...? 🤔

I mean, I parked one with Ignax Scales on top of Arcane terrain one game with Mystic Shield and he tanked Morathi for two turns before she gave up and went elsewhere. So yeah, I would say he's a nice tank that also puts out better-than-you-would-think damage.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I mean, I parked one with Ignax Scales on top of Arcane terrain one game with Mystic Shield and he tanked Morathi for two turns before she gave up and went elsewhere so yeah, I would say he's a nice tank that also puts out better-than-you-would-think damage.

Oh I think i like your Arch warlock very much.

sounds just like good old Ikitt claw

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, Num said:

Hello, quiet Reader from Austria here.

In German it says clearly 'more than 9'' away'

Funny how it differs in different languages.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Greetings. I am a new Skaven player and picked up 80 secondhand clanrats and a warlord. All square bases though. What is the reigning opinieonderzoek here on mixing basesizes, going pure circular or pure square for Skaven.

Currently I am hoping to build towards a Headtaker themed force. So Clan Mors. I love Stormvermin so plan to field 40 to emulate Headtakers Red Guard. What do you guys think about fielding more Stormvermin than that?

9 minutes ago, Darthvegeta8 said:

Currently I am hoping to build towards a Headtaker themed force. So Clan Mors. I love Stormvermin so plan to field 40 to emulate Headtakers Red Guard. What do you guys think about fielding more Stormvermin than that?

Welcome, welcome my friend, I see you have chosen the right way to go, if this’ll keep up Gw just has to bring Queek back to the living.

9 minutes ago, Darthvegeta8 said:

Greetings. I am a new Skaven player and picked up 80 secondhand clanrats and a warlord. All square bases though. What is the reigning opinieonderzoek here on mixing basesizes, going pure circular or pure square for Skaven.

Depends if your interested in playing tournis with your armies, your have to consider rebasing your models on round and oval ones.

stille playing the old fantasy game and aren’t interested in playing any tournaments, well square bases will do 

(ps: also your army will look a bit better with the round and oval version)

Edit:

15 minutes ago, Darthvegeta8 said:

I love the idea of fielding more Stormvermins.

If we don’t look at there overcosted prize, fielding a ton of Stormvermins will Be a magnificent side to behold.

in a more competitive way your better of having only 1 unit of 40 Stormvermins.

• Like 1