AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 9/27/2018 at 10:51 PM, Lord_Skrolk said:

When we get our battletome, it is extremely likely we will get a Gnawhole model similar to the Beastmen's new Braystone model. 

We could have some really cool mechanic (because if there is one thing GW loves recently, it is spelling spell models) that takes into account how random their location can be. 

RIFT IN REALITY: 

This Endless Spell has a casting value of 4. If successfully cast, you and your opponent roll off. Whomever wins is allowed to place the Gnawhole model anywhere on the board at least 9" away from any other models. At the end of every Hero phase where the Gnawhole remains on the board, roll a D6. On a 5 or 6, the controlling player is allowed to place a unit of 20 Clanrats wholly within 13" of the Gnawhole. 

Note: If this spell is cast with a 13+, you can summon a Verminlord instead of a unit of Clanrats whenever you roll a 5 or 6.

This would be very thematic of the Skaven. You could do anything from have it placed in a corner and do nothing all game, to swarming dozens of Clanrats all over a key objective all game

From the look of the other existing skaven allegiances, I believe that he great allegiance will probably have the all well know as “strentgh in numbers” ability for all skaven units.

it also may be possible that they will  do some extra ability’s for the different clans, just like they did with the beasts of chaos, by making 3abillitys 1 for each faction (brayherd, warherd, etc.).

for skaven, I really could think of something like: , all eshin units might get a rule which gives them the possibility to go in reserve and be set anywhere on the battlefield at any time. (This could also be called strike from the shadows).

for skyre a great ability would be something which allows us to keep our weapon teams etc. save from shooting as long as they are near a other skaven unit with at least 10 or more models.

(something similar like the look out sir for hero’s)

for Verminus, it  could be maybe something which will give you the possibility of replenishing your troops when some of them die, or that the enemy doesn’t get any points for victory condition (when both of hem have the same amount of victory points, and have to see who killed most of he enemeny army) since those units are from the fluff cheap and expendable and not worth a thing, after all in their dead step, more will follow, Yes-yes.

for the masterclan it might be possible that they get some kind of bonus to their casting attempted. (This could have the title “Chosens of the Horned Rat”)

Oh, LOL,  I must have gone into my own world, and forgotten what I was doing right now.

anyways what I wanted to say was that I believe that it might be possible for all clans to get their own little ability for their own, just like the beasts of chaos have it right now.

For magic they’re might be a little chance, that we’ll get both of our old lore back (plague and the other one)(Plague only for masterclan members).

(Ps: all things which were mentioned hier, are only assumption and hopes)

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Masterclan allegiance can be done away with to be quite honest- it's just Grey Seers! They don't need an allegiance all of their own- they can't even make legal armies!

No what they need is a combined skaven battletome.

it was just an idea, if the book would be similar to the boc army book.

but yeah your probably right.

just hoping they’d get some bonuses.

i find it rather lacking to have a superior mage (fluff wise)

but who struggles to use magic and can only cast one spell.

@Skreech Verminking I'm about 90% on board with a combined tome. Some people raise an important note with that though; If we get a combined tome, it would be likely we get the BoC treatment in the sense were we won't really get new models, and as many have pointed out, we really need some new models. Especially Eshin and Moulder.

That other 10% of me not being on board with the BoC style tome is just that; I really would love if something like Eshin got the DoK treatment and was expanded upon to be more their own thing or get new models at the very least. I don't think it's likely we would get a separate tome for each however.

And I do agree that base Grey Seer power level seems odd, he should definitely get at least 2 spells.

• Like 1

I return from Day 2 of MOAB finishing off the event feeling good about my performance and coming out with ways to improve my play and the list. Let's jump in.

GAME 4: Skaven vs Stormcast Eternals - MAJOR LOSS - Scheme completed - THE RELOCATION ORB
I have faced SCE before and this list focused on the ranged options using Castigators, Judicators, and  a Celestar Ballista backed up by Vanguard-Paladors, Lord-Ordinator, Liberators, Knight-Azyros, Lord-Aquilor, Lord-Castellant and a Knight-Incantor. As has been par for the course, the Screaming Bell was sniped first turn but I was able to ensure he couldn't teleport behind my army. After making some bold charges my rats crashed into his guns, eliminating most of them. The Stormvermin later showed why they are the best-best by mincing the Vanguard-Paladors, completing my scheme for the game. The Orb kept moving towards my side of the table, locking him out from taking it. After chasing the Orb with a larger Clanrat block the Lord-Aquilor was the only thing to try to take the orb. My opponent was able to phase his Lord-Aqulilor out of combat to take the objective on his third turn, gaining 3VPs and making him the winner. The realm here was Light and the only mention of it was both of us considering making the gem for an extra spell and dispel and went no further. I think I played the match pretty well given my familiarity with SCE, just never gone up against a Lord-Aquilor. There isn't a lot I would change about the choices I made.

GAME 5: Skaven vs Blades of Khorne - MAJOR LOSS - Scheme completed - FOCAL POINTS
This guy loves his Khorgoraths and his Sayl and Chosen combo, brought it here too. The battle throughout was quite tense as units went back and forth  charging and dying to gain control of  the objectives. Not a lot to say about this, it was the most ideal game I had all tournament. The game ended in a tense hold that ended in a loss when I failed a crucial charge with the Warlord. Easily the best game of the event. The realm was Metal with only one roll made at the start of the game for Rust Plague then both of us forgot about it.

I like how I did and I was satisfied with my list, but here are a few gripes I have with it along with some improvements.
- The Screaming Bell was a major flunk. It got focused a lot probably due to it wearing the CoC or it looking pretty. In the times it was alive it didn't do much either, and I bank it to not having enough impact or reward for taking one in stark contrast to it's plagued alter ego. The Bell will do MW's one way or another, just not in a consistent way. It's 200pts to look cool, but not cool enough anymore.
- As much as I love him and tried to make him work on the recommendations of more experienced Skaven players, the Plague Priest has just let me down every time.  I would make a prayer, then get shown that I didn't need it. In the times it helped it swung fights majorly. I don't feel it's enough to take it since you're not looking for it to be a combat beast.
- I have given some thought to retool the list to include a VL Warpseer, another Warlord and maybe a blob of Plague Monks. Maybe they're the spice I need to improve it along with needing to get better myself.

1 - 4 was the record for the event, as always I love to hear your thoughts and feedback.

• Like 3

Greetings oh skittering servants of the Great Horned One! I come before you for a request of your service in aiding others to come unto the middens of the Skaven! 

I've recently started putting together a general introduction thread for the game and hope that, with your help, you skittering skaven can produce your own introduction thread for helping new people get a handle on skaven. Their lore, background, units, models, tricks and more. 

I've started producing a thread for Daughters of Khaine and hope that you can use it as a template to build your own, though of course make the resource your own as you build it

https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/19947-introduction-to-daughters-of-khaine/?tab=comments#comment-261593

In addition, for those both new and old, I've produced a "cheat/tips" sheet for Daughters of Khaine. Again I hope that one industrious of you can put together a similar document for your own skaven needs. 

https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/19358-daughters-of-khaine-reference-and-cheat-sheet/

I leave it up to you how you decide to organise, if you want to make one thread per subfaction of skaven or produce a single overall thread that combines the various groups together. How you make it is up to you, all I hope and ask is that you produce one to add to the resource and that I can thus have a link to put into this grand introduction thread for both resources. I would start this myself, but as I don't collect skaven I'd be unable to really manage such a thread effectively. 

https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/19946-age-of-sigmar-getting-started-and-general-resources/

• Like 2

@Overread I think a single thread should cover the skaven hordes nicely. There are overlying principles and comparisons that makes more sense (and are more easy to read) as a collected source than scattered notes. At least based on how things are until the inevitable uprising (battletome) finds it's way into our waiting paws. 

Now, whether that info thread is full of misinformation to sabotage future rivals.. ;)

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Overread said:

Greetings oh skittering servants of the Great Horned One! I come before you for a request of your service in aiding others to come unto the middens of the Skaven! 

I've recently started putting together a general introduction thread for the game and hope that, with your help, you skittering skaven can produce your own introduction thread for helping new people get a handle on skaven. Their lore, background, units, models, tricks and more. 

I've started producing a thread for Daughters of Khaine and hope that you can use it as a template to build your own, though of course make the resource your own as you build it

https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/19947-introduction-to-daughters-of-khaine/?tab=comments#comment-261593

In addition, for those both new and old, I've produced a "cheat/tips" sheet for Daughters of Khaine. Again I hope that one industrious of you can put together a similar document for your own skaven needs. 

https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/19358-daughters-of-khaine-reference-and-cheat-sheet/

I leave it up to you how you decide to organise, if you want to make one thread per subfaction of skaven or produce a single overall thread that combines the various groups together. How you make it is up to you, all I hope and ask is that you produce one to add to the resource and that I can thus have a link to put into this grand introduction thread for both resources. I would start this myself, but as I don't collect skaven I'd be unable to really manage such a thread effectively. 

https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/19946-age-of-sigmar-getting-started-and-general-resources/

Yes-yes we will show the superiority of the skaven race.

new recruit-things are needed.

On 9/29/2018 at 6:28 PM, Gwendar said:

@Skreech Verminking I'm about 90% on board with a combined tome. Some people raise an important note with that though; If we get a combined tome, it would be likely we get the BoC treatment in the sense were we won't really get new models, and as many have pointed out, we really need some new models. Especially Eshin and Moulder.

That other 10% of me not being on board with the BoC style tome is just that; I really would love if something like Eshin got the DoK treatment and was expanded upon to be more their own thing or get new models at the very least. I don't think it's likely we would get a separate tome for each however.

And I do agree that base Grey Seer power level seems odd, he should definitely get at least 2 spells.

I think it would be nice to see Eshin as its own thing, but judging from the shadespire release they are likely working on verminus models right now. The warband seemed too detailed to just be a single release to me. A lot of the poses could be easily used in Eshin though.

That said, a boxed gutter runner release could fix lots of issues, they are really strong. Surprisingly strong in fact. I want dynamic awesome ninja rats! Make it a thing GW! XD

5 hours ago, Kugane said:

I think it would be nice to see Eshin as its own thing, but judging from the shadespire release they are likely working on verminus models right now. The warband seemed too detailed to just be a single release to me. A lot of the poses could be easily used in Eshin though.

That said, a boxed gutter runner release could fix lots of issues, they are really strong. Surprisingly strong in fact. I want dynamic awesome ninja rats! Make it a thing GW! XD

At least one of those poses is extremely Eshin like, and they've been specifically mentioned pretty heavily in the latest stories which leads to many people believing they'll at least get a DoK treatment and be expanded upon. 

Currently I'm looking to sell 80 Nightrunners/Gutter Runners that I've kit bashed from the slave/unarmored clanrats and have used witch aelf hands to make them all dual wielding. I'll buy actual ones if they re-release them, but that will depend on whether they intend to go more horde oriented with it or more elite, again like DoK having the choice between witch aelf battleline and melusai for a more elite low model count army. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

At least one of those poses is extremely Eshin like, and they've been specifically mentioned pretty heavily in the latest stories which leads to many people believing they'll at least get a DoK treatment and be expanded upon. 

Currently I'm looking to sell 80 Nightrunners/Gutter Runners that I've kit bashed from the slave/unarmored clanrats and have used witch aelf hands to make them all dual wielding. I'll buy actual ones if they re-release them, but that will depend on whether they intend to go more horde oriented with it or more elite, again like DoK having the choice between witch aelf battleline and melusai for a more elite low model count army. 

Those sound awesome. Do you have pics of the Nightrunners/Gutter Runners?

12 hours ago, Gwendar said:

@brimmstorm They're primed but not painted, but yeah I can pull a few out and post them up when I get home. 

Edit: almost forgot, here we go. Bad pics are bad, but you get the idea. I forgot I painted a few as testers. 

Attach28019_20181002_225558.jpg

Attach28020_20181002_225558.jpg

Looks great! How much are you selling them for? Would need either 20 or 40 ;)

3 hours ago, Pompe said:

Looks great! How much are you selling them for? Would need either 20 or 40 ;)

Thanks! I put a lot of work into them, unfortunately I don't particularly have the time to paint or play with them (the most models I go for in an army is ~60-80 now). I'll PM you about selling as I don't want to tie up forum posts about it.

Quick question, how does the skaven generals around here interpret the legality of having an archwarlock on a balewind being skitterleaped away? Best case scenario he reappears with a balewind under him? As far as I read on the endless spell's scroll, both are treated as one model with all of the text of each and thus is a targetable skaven hero. Thoughts?

On 10/7/2018 at 3:59 AM, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Quick question, how does the skaven generals around here interpret the legality of having an archwarlock on a balewind being skitterleaped away? Best case scenario he reappears with a balewind under him? As far as I read on the endless spell's scroll, both are treated as one model with all of the text of each and thus is a targetable skaven hero. Thoughts?

That's fine, it's considered and treated as a single model. You may also like to skitterleap into some large terrain for the +2 to save. The only caveat with this (and presume you mean the Arch Warlock) is that you might struggle to get spells off these days with so much anti magic around, and usually you don't want to expose him if he's donning the Crown of Conquest.

53 minutes ago, Overread said:

@Skreech Verminking I'm appointing you head rat of the writing writting many things yes! You need write into thingy for Skaven clans - so that you can recruit hire many new rats to the middens! 

Will, do.

i’ll start as soon as I come back from my holidays, take-stealing the rest of the bearthings City burrows in chamon.

Allegiance: Chaos
Packmaster (60)
- Herding Whip & Blade
Screaming Bell (200)
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
4 x Rat Ogors (200)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades

Total: 1240 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 157

What do you think fellow rat man?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nizrah said:
Packmaster (60)
- Herding Whip & Blade
Screaming Bell (200)
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
4 x Rat Ogors (200)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades

Perfect, Yes-yes we see smell victory in your grasp.

56 minutes ago, Nizrah said:
Packmaster (60)
- Herding Whip & Blade
Screaming Bell (200)
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
4 x Rat Ogors (200)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades

Nice. The only change I'd make (if you have the models) would be to swap the 4 rat ogors with 40 giant rats, just in case the bell manages to drop the extra attack (plus you'd have over 180 wounds at 1250 points, not bad!!)

Edited by Num

LEADERS

Verminlord Deceiver (300)

Arch Warlock (140)

Warlock Engineer (100)

Verminlord Warpseer (260)

- Artefact : Crown of Conquest

Grey Seer (100)

UNITS

5 x Gutter Runners (60)

5 x Gutter Runners (60)

5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)

1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (80)

20 x Clanrats (120)

-Rusty Blade

20 x Clanrats (120)

-Rusty Blade

40 x Clanrats (200)

-Rusty Spear

WAR MACHINES

Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Balewind Vortex (40)

Any advice on this list fellow rat enthusiasts?

A couple of thoughts of my own...

Swap the Grey Seer for a Warlord maybe?

Drop the Warp Grinder and Acolytes for a Command Point and Plague Monks?

3 hours ago, bitchparty said:

LEADERS

Verminlord Deceiver (300)

Arch Warlock (140)

Warlock Engineer (100)

Verminlord Warpseer (260)

- Artefact : Crown of Conquest

Grey Seer (100)

UNITS

5 x Gutter Runners (60)

5 x Gutter Runners (60)

5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)

1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (80)

20 x Clanrats (120)

-Rusty Blade

20 x Clanrats (120)

-Rusty Blade

40 x Clanrats (200)

-Rusty Spear

WAR MACHINES

ENDLESS SPELLS

Balewind Vortex (40)

Any advice on this list fellow rat enthusiasts?

A couple of thoughts of my own...

Swap the Grey Seer for a Warlord maybe?

Drop the Warp Grinder and Acolytes for a Command Point and Plague Monks?

The acolytes are quite out of place. Clan rats on their own are quite weak, so having a warlord would help buff them. perhaps -grinder -acolytes and go with a warlord and CP instead? You could also swap the warpseer for a different verminlord or more clan rats. I think the warpseer is only worth it if you have CP spam his CA. A corrupter is good for its points as well.