AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

My mini report from saturday tournament!

So I finished at second place! Here is my list and short reports and conclusions.

Allegiance: Chaos
Leaders
Packmaster (60)
- Shock-Prod
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Warlock Engineer (100)
Skaven Warlord (100)
- Shield & Warpforged Blade

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear

Units
4 x Rat Ogors (200)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 115

Tournament rules:

Realm – Ghyran

1 Battle: Fecund Quagmire - Models cannot run unless they are able to fly.
2 Battle: Hidden Festering Corruption - At the start of your hero phase, roll a dice. Add 1 to the dice roll if your army has allegiance to NURGLE. On a 5+ pick an enemy unit that is within 1" of a terrain feature. The unit you picked suffers 1 mortal wound.
3 Battle: Lifesprings - Before the battle begins, each player picks a HERO from their army. Add 1 to the Wounds characteristic of the heroes that are picked.
4 Battle: Seeds of Hope - If a battleshock roll is an unmodified 1, then no models from the unit will flee. In addition, heal all wounds that are currently allocated to that unit.

We were playing with all malign sorcery and realm futures. Extra CA, Spells, etc!

First battle vs Nurgle: Major win for me: Scenarios: THE BETTER PART OF VALOUR

His list: Herald, 30 pluguebearers, 6 drones, 5 blightkings.

Nurgle without running is really really slow. He puts his drones ahead and failed charge. I annihilated them with ogres ( they strike REALLY HARD! ) and magic. Then it was really easy just to grab obj with numbers, lock blightkings and totally ignore slow blob of pluguebearers.

Second battle vs KO: Major loose: Scenarios: STARSTRIKE

His list: 20 Arkanaut, 10 Arkanaut, Khemist, 12 Endrigers ( 3 with grapnel )

Well, i disregarded grapnels and forget that’s a flying unit can see through woods. Due to this combined with very good rolls he killed my ogres and arch-warlock. Maybe if I position myself better I could win this.

Third battle vs Seraphon: Major win: Scenarios: TOTAL COMMITMENT

His list: 2x 20 skins, Skink starpriest, Stegadon, 6 ripperdactyl, Shadowstrike starhost ( battalion )

Rippers didn’t chew through 40 clanrats so I counter attack with my ogres and magic. On the other flank 40 CR runs to his Obj. Game was rather easy but my opponents is fantastic guy so we have lots of fun. Jokes around ancient hate of lizardman and ratman were present.

Fourth battle vs Legions of Nagash: Major win: Scenarios: BATTLE FOR THE PASS

His list: Nagash ( xD ), 2x 10 spooky ghost ( chainrasp horde )  and pendulum spell.

Well, this game was hard. With total bulshit which nagash is in this point format i manage to win by just grapping every obj I could with numbers ( and his failed charges ). He killed everything except few CR.

Conclusions: I would trade cunning deceiver for +1 to chaos AA which I forget about and I NEVER rolled for it in entire tournament lol. 

Cheers guys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

My mini report from saturday tournament!

So I finished at second place! Here is my list and short reports and conclusions.

Leaders
Packmaster (60)
- Shock-Prod
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Warlock Engineer (100)
Skaven Warlord (100)
- Shield & Warpforged Blade

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear

Units
4 x Rat Ogors (200)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 115

Tournament rules:

Realm – Ghyran

1 Battle: Fecund Quagmire - Models cannot run unless they are able to fly.
2 Battle: Hidden Festering Corruption - At the start of your hero phase, roll a dice. Add 1 to the dice roll if your army has allegiance to NURGLE. On a 5+ pick an enemy unit that is within 1" of a terrain feature. The unit you picked suffers 1 mortal wound.
3 Battle: Lifesprings - Before the battle begins, each player picks a HERO from their army. Add 1 to the Wounds characteristic of the heroes that are picked.
4 Battle: Seeds of Hope - If a battleshock roll is an unmodified 1, then no models from the unit will flee. In addition, heal all wounds that are currently allocated to that unit.

We were playing with all malign sorcery and realm futures. Extra CA, Spells, etc!

First battle vs Nurgle: Major win for me: Scenarios: THE BETTER PART OF VALOUR

His list: Herald, 30 pluguebearers, 6 drones, 5 blightkings.

Nurgle without running is really really slow. He puts his drones ahead and failed charge. I annihilated them with ogres ( they strike REALLY HARD! ) and magic. Then it was really easy just to grab obj with numbers, lock blightkings and totally ignore slow blob of pluguebearers.

Second battle vs KO: Major loose: Scenarios: STARSTRIKE

His list: 20 Arkanaut, 10 Arkanaut, Khemist, 12 Endrigers ( 3 with grapnel )

Well, i disregarded grapnels and forget that’s a flying unit can see through woods. Due to this combined with very good rolls he killed my ogres and arch-warlock. Maybe if I position myself better I could win this.

Third battle vs Seraphon: Major win: Scenarios: TOTAL COMMITMENT

His list: 2x 20 skins, Skink starpriest, Stegadon, 6 ripperdactyl, Shadowstrike starhost ( battalion )

Rippers didn’t chew through 40 clanrats so I counter attack with my ogres and magic. On the other flank 40 CR runs to his Obj. Game was rather easy but my opponents is fantastic guy so we have lots of fun. Jokes around ancient hate of lizardman and ratman were present.

Fourth battle vs Legions of Nagash: Major win: Scenarios: BATTLE FOR THE PASS

His list: Nagash ( ), 2x 10 spooky ghost ( chainrasp horde )  and pendulum spell.

Well, this game was hard. With total bulshit which nagash is in this point format i manage to win by just grapping every obj I could with numbers ( and his failed charges ). He killed everything except few CR.

Conclusions: I would trade cunning deceiver for +1 to chaos AA which I forget about and I NEVER rolled for it in entire tournament lol. 

Cheers guys.

Nice.

thankyou for your battlereport. 

i myself am not a big fan of playing smaller games of 1000p with skaven.

but reading your report might chance my mind.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

Great write up, Nizrah.

I do want to ask about  your thoughts on playing with Mortal Realms rules. I've never tried them or really given them that much of a look since they've never been relevant. How much did it change your approach to the match? Did the rules come up often enough or too infrequently to affect the course of the game?

Edited by robbobobo

Long time Skaven player, but fairly new to TGA.  Had good luck this weekend with:

Thanquol & Boneripper (400)

Verminlord Warpseer (260)

Archwarlock (140)

Clanrats x40 w spears (200)

Clanrats x20 w swords (120)

Plague Monks x20 w double blades (140)

Warpfire thrower team (70)

Warplightning cannon (180)

1950 w one extra command point

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions to kill-kill everyone more effectively.  

Edited by CompBiochemInfo

40 minutes ago, CompBiochemInfo said:

Long time Skaven player, but fairly new to TGA.  Had good luck this weekend with:

Thanquol & Boneripper (400)

Verminlord Warpseer (260)

Archwarlock (140)

Clanrats x40 w spears (200)

Warpfire thrower team (70)

1950 w one extra command point

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions to kill-kill everyone more effectively.  

Welcome fellow rat lover.

i can see that you like to play magic heavy.

There aren’t too many suggestion, I could give to you since your army list already seems to do well on the battlefield.

The only thing I could suggest to you is too swap one of your warplightning cannons for some extra units of clanrats or plague monks.

since you will have big problems with only 120models of meatshields.

and they will die horrible fast.

I hope I my suggestion will be helpful to you.

• Like 1

Have a matchup against the Daughters of Khaine on Thursday. Never played against them, I run a mixed Skaven list with 60 Clanrats, 60 Monks, Screech Verminking, and assorted Skaven goodies like Ratling Guns, Plagueclaws, the Warpgrinder, Warpfire Throwers, a Plague Priest, Grey Seer in various combos. 

Anyone have any tips in general for Skaven to play against Daughters of Khaine? Its a good tournament player and am wondering in general how we can even stand a chance against a great army with a battletome. 

1 hour ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

Have a matchup against the Daughters of Khaine on Thursday. Never played against them, I run a mixed Skaven list with 60 Clanrats, 60 Monks, Screech Verminking, and assorted Skaven goodies like Ratling Guns, Plagueclaws, the Warpgrinder, Warpfire Throwers, a Plague Priest, Grey Seer in various combos. 

Anyone have any tips in general for Skaven to play against Daughters of Khaine? Its a good tournament player and am wondering in general how we can even stand a chance against a great army with a battletome. 

Don’t know have the same problems against another daughter of khaine army.

still didn’t figure out how to barely win against them.

but hey who knows, someday will do it.

until than trying something out is probably one of our best way’s

1 hour ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

I've played against them twice before against a 60 witch aelf + 10 Khinerai list with pure Skryre, but the player was a little more passive/defensive than he should've been I think. I did well just shooting the hell out of the witch aelves to knock each unit of 20 down a few notches so by the time it got to me, it didn't hit as hard (of course, 7 of them still managed to do around 13-17 wounds before saves) and then I could finish them off with Stormfiend units.

I would honestly stick as many warpfire throwers inside of/behind your blocks of monks/clanrats and get some MW spellcasting/good shooting (so, not the plagueclaw) to hit everything a bit. The cauldron of blood and Morathi will be things you want to get wounds on as well, but I believe whittling down the witch aelves with MW's or shooting is the better way to go unless you think you can kill the cauldron in one go. Always try to get the 3 wounds on morathi each turn however. If they are using a melusai list, the same type of rules apply, but probably better to just focus fire units.

• Like 1

Leaders
Arch Warlock (140)
Warlock Engineer (100)
Screaming Bell (200)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
20 x Plague Monks (140)
- Foetid Blades
20 x Plague Monks (140)
- Foetid Blades

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1560 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 8
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 155

How would you finish this list to 2k?

5 hours ago, Nizrah said:

Leaders
Arch Warlock (140)
Warlock Engineer (100)
Screaming Bell (200)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
20 x Plague Monks (140)
- Foetid Blades
20 x Plague Monks (140)
- Foetid Blades

War Machines

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1560 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 8
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 155

How would you finish this list to 2k?

It's light on heroes and particularly spell casters. The Verminlord Warpseer would be a nice addition for 260. Good spell, free giant rats etc. You could then upgrade one of the 20's of Clan Rats or Plague Monks and still have points left over for maybe another character or endless spells and / or a spare command point to do an early summon. Presume you're also taking Crown of Conquest on the Arch Warlock. Don't forget the Balewind can go on terrain for a +1 save.

18 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

For one, Lighting Cannons are great for sniping the Hag Queens (they make them battleshock proof and give them re-rolls to wound & prayers). As it isn't hurt by Look out Sir nor the Khailebron temple (-1 to hit vs shooting).

If he's snake heavy, delay delay delay. As the unit will just annihilate everything on the charge. Take out the support, witch brew, magic and prayers, that will help, and if you can. If you get the chance to strike first they only have a 5+, but two wounds and an additional 6+ and rerolls etc from the cauldrons and prayers if set up like that. 

Just two cents from someone who plays both :)

• Like 2

Update for anyone curious: It was an annihalation by the Daughters of Khaine

My plan was to use the tactic of constantly retreating then charging with the tip of a Clanrats unit to tie the Witch Elves up with almost no models actually fighting, and smash them with shooting 

Well, the problem was that even with only a handful of Witch Elves able to pile in and attack... 6 buffed Witch Elves were still instantly deleting my screens. Rolled awfully when attacking the Haq Queens (thanks for the suggestiom!) and that was game. First time playing against a good tournament player with a top tier army, eye opening experience. Back to the drawing board! 

2 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

6 buffed Witch Elves were still instantly deleting my screens.

Sounds about right. It can be a hard matchup as we lack the same level of CC effectiveness. DoK lists with an aggressive player behind them are usually pretty nasty, I lucked out in that my matchups against them were a little less so and I could sit back and shoot/MW away to whittle them down.

It took getting my ass handed to me by Tom Lyons to see the huge errors I had in my Skryre list so it's always a great learning experience to get destroyed by a tournament player.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

Here's a 2k list I've been running.

Thoughts?

Leaders

(200) Screaming Bell - General - Has Lord of war command trait  (get that +1 to hit easier) - Peal of Doom is great but you take this guy for his command ability !

(220) Verminlord corruptor - Has Sword of Judgement Ulgu artefact of power - every 6+ on hit roll vs hero/monsters = D6 mortal wounds (hero/monster nuker)

(60) Pack master with shock prod (Need to poke some rat ogres, or even stormfiends!)

(80) Plague priest (for that +1 to wound prayer, opposing player cant dispel/unbind... SUCKER !)

Battleline

(120) 20x clanrats - (chaff)

Artillery

(180) Warp Lightning Cannon (Because who doesn't love ranged mortal wounds?)

Other units

(400) 8x Rat Ogors - (Packmaster will stick with these guys like glue provide that buff and double bravery to 10 to these roid users)

(290) 3x Stormfiends - (1x rattle rat, 1x mortal wound rat, 1x tunneller rat)

(70)  Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team - ( D6 mortal wound on a 2+ …… Oohhhh Yeah baby  !)

(70)  Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team - ( D6 mortal wound on a 2+ …… Oohhhh Yeah baby x2 !)

(70)  Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team - ( D6 mortal wound on a 2+ …… Oohhhh Yeah baby x3 !)

Edited by Sneakmcsneakysneak

22 hours ago, Sneakmcsneakysneak said:

Here's a 2k list I've been running.

Thoughts?

Leaders

(200) Screaming Bell - General - Has Lord of war command trait  (get that +1 to hit easier) - Peal of Doom is great but you take this guy for his command ability !

(220) Verminlord corruptor - Has Sword of Judgement Ulgu artefact of power - every 6+ on hit roll vs hero/monsters = D6 mortal wounds (hero/monster nuker)

(60) Pack master with shock prod (Need to poke some rat ogres, or even stormfiends!)

(80) Plague priest (for that +1 to wound prayer, opposing player cant dispel/unbind... SUCKER !)

Battleline

Artillery

(180) Warp Lightning Cannon (Because who doesn't love ranged mortal wounds?)

Other units

(400) 8x Rat Ogors - (Packmaster will stick with these guys like glue provide that buff and double bravery to 10 to these roid users)

(290) 3x Stormfiends - (1x rattle rat, 1x mortal wound rat, 1x tunneller rat)

(70)  Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team - ( D6 mortal wound on a 2+ …… Oohhhh Yeah baby  !)

(70)  Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team - ( D6 mortal wound on a 2+ …… Oohhhh Yeah baby x2 !)

(70)  Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team - ( D6 mortal wound on a 2+ …… Oohhhh Yeah baby x3 !)

It looks interesting.

i like your idea of using 8ratogres 

but your lack of clanrats/meatshields is rather sad and you might get easily overrun by the enemy, for example DOK.

but, hey you still will have a good fight and your army might be something very unexpected, which will give you the upper hand.

so good luck my friend,

and happy wargaming.

So assuming an eventual skaven book, have you guys thought about possible terrain and endless spells for them? Anyone care to baselessly speculate with me?

As for the terrain, AoS lore seems to emphasize skaven "gnawholes" that tear through the realms allowing them to pop up anywhere. I'm going to guess a LoN style release will come with a two piece gnawhole terrain piece that let's a unit(s) pass through an initially placed one in your territory to one placed in the enemy territory; perhaps with the warpgrinders roll to see if they make it out mechanic, or a chance of collapse when used? Or maybe a single hole that can summon more rats from reserve along with a summoning mechanic?

As for endless spells, I can only assume most if not all will have hilarious backfire mechanics. I'm hoping for at least one to mitigate bravery issues. ???

Edited by Verminlord
  • Like 1

When we get our battletome, it is extremely likely we will get a Gnawhole model similar to the Beastmen's new Braystone model. 

We could have some really cool mechanic (because if there is one thing GW loves recently, it is spelling spell models) that takes into account how random their location can be. 

RIFT IN REALITY: 

This Endless Spell has a casting value of 4. If successfully cast, you and your opponent roll off. Whomever wins is allowed to place the Gnawhole model anywhere on the board at least 9" away from any other models. At the end of every Hero phase where the Gnawhole remains on the board, roll a D6. On a 5 or 6, the controlling player is allowed to place a unit of 20 Clanrats wholly within 13" of the Gnawhole. 

Note: If this spell is cast with a 13+, you can summon a Verminlord instead of a unit of Clanrats whenever you roll a 5 or 6.

This would be very thematic of the Skaven. You could do anything from have it placed in a corner and do nothing all game, to swarming dozens of Clanrats all over a key objective all game

Edited by Lord_Skrolk
  • Like 1

Whatever happens, it needs to balance the risk/reward factor. What a lot of Skaven units do well- and things like the Skryre items and allegiance abilities do not- is offer a substantial reward for a potent risk, i.e. massive damage vs self-inflicted mortal wounds (Skryre allegiance abilities and items are not worth the risk for the benefits they offer, meanwhile). So yes, some drawback that gives you a chance of hindering or harming your own troops would be characterful, even desirable, but it would need to offer compensation worthy of the risk. Skaven go big or go home, and by "go home" I mean explode.

• Like 3

Denizens of the Under Empire, I come bringing a Day 1 report of MOAB 2018.  I'm feeling confident and, so far, I have been having a great time. I'm writing this now so I don't forget and after tomorrow I'll collate my final thoughts and reflection on the event and the army. A few things to note:

- If something I do sounds like it was a retarded move, it probably was.
- Realm Landscape rules were in effect, the realm chosen was random each round out of the five before the start by the TO (out of Life, Death, Heavens, Fire and Metal) but the spells, effects and command traits were specified a week beforehand.
- There are hidden Schemes as secondary objectives to achieve as well.

GAME 1: Skaven vs Maggotkin of Nurgle - MAJOR LOSS - Scheme completed - BLOOD & GLORY
This game was my first game against the Maggotkin, as such I was learning how they work and what I should be doing to aim for their objectives. The list consisted of some Chaos Warriors, a blob of Plague Monks, a Bell GUO,  a blob of Plaguebearers, Slaanesh Hellstriders, a Lord on Blights, Lord of Afflictions, and Pusgoyle Blightlords.  Oddly enough, this scenario usually ends in Minor Wins/Losses. I had first turn. In my eagerness to move up and try to snatch the objectives I got charged by the Plaguebearers, binding up two Clanrat groups and the Screaming Bell. I deployed my Gutter Runners poorly in my eagerness to use them, who promptly got mulched by Plague Monks. A few turns of realizing how Feculant Gnarlmaws work later and I've worked myself into a mess that I could not maneuver out of. My main issue was fearing the amount of ground the Pusgoyles could cross in a turn and thus staggered my Stormvermin forward. I also charged the Plaguebearers with them to try to carve them out of the way, then learned how the wheel turns ever so lovingly against me. -3 to hit hurts everything. I lost after moving too far forward on the right, the left collapsing to the Plague Monks, and the Lord of Afflictions moved to summon a unit to take the fourth and final point behind my lines. I did achieve my scheme to leave the GUO alive, and neither of us remembered that we were playing in the Realm of Fire.  This game ran out of time at the end of turn 3. So I learned many things in defeat that I was able to apply immediately in the very next game!

GAME 2: Skaven vs Maggotkin of Nurgle - MAJOR WIN - Scheme completed - PLACES OF ARCANE POWER
Facing a different variety of the children of our glorious Grandfather I was able to learn apply what I learned immediately. This list went deeper with the mortal kin utilizing fifteen Putrid Blightkings, Plaguebearer blob, Bell GUO, Lord of Blights, Pusgoyle Blightlords, Festus and Gutrot Spume.  Did you know that Blightkings can outflank and charge the same turn? I didn't, though it wasn't of any consequence, more on this later. This game fared better for the Gutter Runners finding cause to fling stars and tie up the GUO in combat, keeping him from getting to the centre objective. The Screaming Bell fell to the Pusgoyles in the first turn, leaving the Warbringer to be the sole wizard holding another point with the Stormvermin, fending off Blightkings, Festus, LoB and Gutrot. The Clanrats kept the rest of the Maggotkin tied up away from the Warbringer. This game also went to time with me taking the win 6-1 while also completing the scheme, ensuring the Gutter Runners attacked something every turn. The realm for this round was Life which did nothing aside for giving our respective daemons another wound.

GAME 3: Skaven vs Legions of Nagash - MAJOR DEFEAT - Scheme completed - STAR STRIKE
This list looked intimidating but manageable. Nagash, Prince Vhordrai, Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon, ten Dire Wolves and ten Chainrasps as battleline tax. I had never faced Vhordrai or Nagash, but thought I could deal with them. After being told what Vhrodrai can do, he promptly got massacred by Stormvermin with GGotB and Tyrant of Battle. Have you ever felt the euphoria of turning a vampire into the dust he truly is with 124 attacks? This upset Nagash so much that he proceeded to massacre my whole force, doing Vhordrai's job according to my opponent. The Bell was sniped and thus left my forces susceptible to Bravery bombing. Nagash racked up 1500pts of kills on his own, with the other Vampire Lord collecting the scraps. The death was slow as it went to turn 4 before he wiped the last remaining Gutter Runners and Clanrats holding objectives. It was a great game. Bizarrely, I completed my scheme by ensuring every single one of my units had lost wounds. The realm was Death and my opponent used the bravery bomb spell to great effect, ensuring anything Nagash wanted dead had 1 Bravery. I don't believe I made many mistakes this time around but I came away from the game happy I played it and thinking I should keep the Stormvermin closer to the Screaming Bell.

That was Day 1. I have two more games tomorrow. Hopefully I can win more for the Great Horned Rat. I'll be back tomorrow with those games, a reflection on the list, how it functioned and what I can improve on. After all, hindsight is 20/20.

As an aside, I didn't scrub out so my personal goal has been achieved.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robbobobo said:

Denizens of the Under Empire, I come bringing a Day 1 report of MOAB 2018.  I'm feeling confident and, so far, I have been having a great time. I'm writing this now so I don't forget and after tomorrow I'll collate my final thoughts and reflection on the event and the army. A few things to note:

- If something I do sounds like it was a retarded move, it probably was.
- Realm Landscape rules were in effect, the realm chosen was random each round out of the five before the start by the TO (out of Life, Death, Heavens, Fire and Metal) but the spells, effects and command traits were specified a week beforehand.
- There are hidden Schemes as secondary objectives to achieve as well.

GAME 1: Skaven vs Maggotkin of Nurgle - MAJOR LOSS - Scheme completed - BLOOD & GLORY
This game was my first game against the Maggotkin, as such I was learning how they work and what I should be doing to aim for their objectives. The list consisted of some Chaos Warriors, a blob of Plague Monks, a Bell GUO,  a blob of Plaguebearers, Slaanesh Hellstriders, a Lord on Blights, Lord of Afflictions, and Pusgoyle Blightlords.  Oddly enough, this scenario usually ends in Minor Wins/Losses. I had first turn. In my eagerness to move up and try to snatch the objectives I got charged by the Plaguebearers, binding up two Clanrat groups and the Screaming Bell. I deployed my Gutter Runners poorly in my eagerness to use them, who promptly got mulched by Plague Monks. A few turns of realizing how Feculant Gnarlmaws work later and I've worked myself into a mess that I could not maneuver out of. My main issue was fearing the amount of ground the Pusgoyles could cross in a turn and thus staggered my Stormvermin forward. I also charged the Plaguebearers with them to try to carve them out of the way, then learned how the wheel turns ever so lovingly against me. -3 to hit hurts everything. I lost after moving too far forward on the right, the left collapsing to the Plague Monks, and the Lord of Afflictions moved to summon a unit to take the fourth and final point behind my lines. I did achieve my scheme to leave the GUO alive, and neither of us remembered that we were playing in the Realm of Fire.  This game ran out of time at the end of turn 3. So I learned many things in defeat that I was able to apply immediately in the very next game!

GAME 2: Skaven vs Maggotkin of Nurgle - MAJOR WIN - Scheme completed - PLACES OF ARCANE POWER
Facing a different variety of the children of our glorious Grandfather I was able to learn apply what I learned immediately. This list went deeper with the mortal kin utilizing fifteen Putrid Blightkings, Plaguebearer blob, Bell GUO, Lord of Blights, Pusgoyle Blightlords, Festus and Gutrot Spume.  Did you know that Blightkings can outflank and charge the same turn? I didn't, though it wasn't of any consequence, more on this later. This game fared better for the Gutter Runners finding cause to fling stars and tie up the GUO in combat, keeping him from getting to the centre objective. The Screaming Bell fell to the Pusgoyles in the first turn, leaving the Warbringer to be the sole wizard holding another point with the Stormvermin, fending off Blightkings, Festus, LoB and Gutrot. The Clanrats kept the rest of the Maggotkin tied up away from the Warbringer. This game also went to time with me taking the win 6-1 while also completing the scheme, ensuring the Gutter Runners attacked something every turn. The realm for this round was Life which did nothing aside for giving our respective daemons another wound.

GAME 3: Skaven vs Legions of Nagash - MAJOR DEFEAT - Scheme completed - STAR STRIKE
This list looked intimidating but manageable. Nagash, Prince Vhordrai, Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon, ten Dire Wolves and ten Chainrasps as battleline tax. I had never faced Vhordrai or Nagash, but thought I could deal with them. After being told what Vhrodrai can do, he promptly got massacred by Stormvermin with GGotB and Tyrant of Battle. Have you ever felt the euphoria of turning a vampire into the dust he truly is with 124 attacks? This upset Nagash so much that he proceeded to massacre my whole force, doing Vhordrai's job according to my opponent. The Bell was sniped and thus left my forces susceptible to Bravery bombing. Nagash racked up 1500pts of kills on his own, with the other Vampire Lord collecting the scraps. The death was slow as it went to turn 4 before he wiped the last remaining Gutter Runners and Clanrats holding objectives. It was a great game. Bizarrely, I completed my scheme by ensuring every single one of my units had lost wounds. The realm was Death and my opponent used the bravery bomb spell to great effect, ensuring anything Nagash wanted dead had 1 Bravery. I don't believe I made many mistakes this time around but I came away from the game happy I played it and thinking I should keep the Stormvermin closer to the Screaming Bell.

That was Day 1. I have two more games tomorrow. Hopefully I can win more for the Great Horned Rat. I'll be back tomorrow with those games, a reflection on the list, how it functioned and what I can improve on. After all, hindsight is 20/20.

As an aside, I didn't scrub out so my personal goal has been achieved.

Good luck my friend.

may the horned one  look upon you.