AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

So I have put off getting into AoS but I have been keeping up on it through batreps on YouTube. I will pop in here and read through the posts and I was curious about something. 

How does verminus fare with 2.0? It seems from what I have read they are a little better but I am still at a loss on how to build a 2k army. I know I would like to include a warlord and some stormvermin also the storm fiends and the grey deer model simply because I love the models. Anything else I am open to including.

can anyone toss some advise my way? 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 9:58 AM, Kugane said:

I would love to hear how the throwers perform in the list! Remnants of the clawpack I assume?

Skaven are in a weird place. Fully buffed clanrats can do like 14 damage per 100 points, but thats buffed, unbuffed most units hang around 2 or 3 damage instead. With things like Sequitors unbuffed (other than self buffs) dealing 5 damage/100p and skaven hanging around mostly 2.5/100 stuff, its harsh competition.

Genestealer cults just got some love though, so perhaps GW is finally giving some attention to our sneaky boys soon as well. Perhaps for gender neutrality we will finally get some broodmothers. That would be a true horror to behold I would imagine.

Yep. I found that the warpfire throwers were the most reliable weapons team to add to the clawpack. 

Usually I will support a single brick of clan rats with them, adding 3d6 mortal wound potential while the rats tarpit.

Clan rats can do a lot of work themselves. I have seen the bulk of a brayherd army implode after charging into a brick of clan rats with gnaw-gnaw and death frenzy up. 

What made the list strong before, was the battlestandard providing in essence a bubble of inspiring presence, and the claw pack giving a bubble of gnaw-gnaw. With the crown on top of it, it was like getting 4 command abilities a turn. It's not quite there again, but with the new crown and command point mechanic, I'm back to about 2 1/3 command abilities a turn. So its progress at least.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sunspear said:

So I have put off getting into AoS but I have been keeping up on it through batreps on YouTube. I will pop in here and read through the posts and I was curious about something. 

How does verminus fare with 2.0? It seems from what I have read they are a little better but I am still at a loss on how to build a 2k army. I know I would like to include a warlord and some stormvermin also the storm fiends and the grey deer model simply because I love the models. Anything else I am open to including.

can anyone toss some advise my way? 

Well playing a only verminus army is not really that great  right now.

since they don’t have any kind of alllegiance ability, with the exception of the grand chaos one. And Stormvermins become battleline, you’re probably better off playing mixed skaven.

since clanrats are the only generic chaos battleline in a skaven army, you will probably have to have at least 40-60of them in your army (depends how many points your playing with). After that your  free to put to your army, what you want.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

Just now, hughwyeth said:

I remember seeing it before so I recognised it- it is a beautiful army. Considering the level of other models recently released, a new Skryre range would look incredible I imagine. 

Really is an amazing army! :) Looks absolutely stunning.

2 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

I remember seeing it before so I recognised it- it is a beautiful army. Considering the level of other models recently released, a new Skryre range would look incredible I imagine. 

Well to be absolutely true, it would be stunningly incredible if Gw chose to firstly make a mixed skaven army battletome and with it update all metallic or funky looking models like gutter runner/night runners, plague censer bearers/monks, Arch warlock and many more (we definitely need some good locking weapon teams)

but that’s only my oppinion.

(still hoping for that mixed battletome death style) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well to be absolutely true, it would be stunningly incredible if Gw chose to firstly make a mixed skaven army battletome and with it update all metallic or funky looking models like gutter runner/night runners, plague censer bearers/monks, Arch warlock and many more (we definitely need some good locking weapon teams)

but that’s only my oppinion.

(still hoping for that mixed battletome death style) 

That's exactly what I want. Legions of Nagash for Skaven.

• Like 2

A box set of 10 or so of new gutter runners, acolytes and plague monks is all we need i think. I wouldnt even mind if it were all on the same sprues.

A full gutter runner army would be extremely deadly.

Edited by Kugane
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Kugane said:

A box set of 10 or so of new gutter runners, acolytes and plague monks is all we need i think. I wouldnt even mind if it were all on the same sprues.

Add to that list night runners (seriously, they still use the old monkey-arm clanrat set as their base), maybe a new rattling gun, jezzail, and plague censer bearer sculpt, and blister packs for the island of blood (and thus oop) warlock engineer, poison wind mortar, warpfire thrower, and pack master and we might be in business. That's if they go down the 'update old sets' route rather than something new altogether as they've done with the dwarf and elf factions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

I think at the very least they should release the island of blood kits. It baffles me that they haven't ?

I think the mistake they made was mixed sprues. I am certain we would have it as a start collecting or something simiilar otherwise. 

Despite the ideas on quick fixes and what "GW should do", or what "would be nice if they did", its unlikely to be their goal.

Based upon the release trends so far, they are either creating totally new factions or reinventing/expanding on the foundations which are the existing factions.

They splintered the old armies into smaller factions and it would seem they are either going to relegate those to the annals of WH Legends OR reinvent them.
This involves release of new models/units, which I'd imagine from a marketing perspective has a much higher chance of bringing in more sales as opposed to writing new rules for old models which many people would own already.

There's only 1 case which is LoN where they released new rules without models, but that was quickly followed by one of the sub-factions being expanded.

To me the most likely scenario is they either reinvent a Skaven sub-faction like Skryre at which point they will redo or create new models OR they release a LoN style tome for Skavendom as a whole without any new model releases and wait until they expand the sub-factions to accommodate that exercise.

To me the most unlikely scenario is that they release a Skaven LoN style tome and redo old models that need the most love. To do so would basically undo the entire "splintering" philosophy they have embraced and now seem to be making work quite well.

• Like 1

To me, that seems to be one of the most likely scenarios, especially with Eshin being so heavily represented in the stories as of late.

I see a LoN style book, with Clan Eshin being our "Nighthaunt" sub-faction focus that they got. Or so I hope...Now I almost wish I didn't convert 80 Nightrunners and 40 Gutter Runners if that ends up being the case.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

Thought it's worth mentioning the new AOS Realm War game. First digital AOS game and skaven do feature prominently in the trailer. 

Taking that as a God sign their IP is alive and well and on the radar for some attention maybe next year. 

Clanrats, grey seer and screaming bell all featured. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lost2Requiem said:

Hi,

I’m after some help identifying a Skaven miniature and thought it best to consult the experts! Apologies if this is the wrong place to do this. 

So, images attached. Any ideas? Assassin of some type with trident and net..?

Thank you in advance. 

0D53C8B7-DB1A-4B60-8873-A33AD91B8A54.jpeg

1A4D0E9A-34DB-4943-8B2C-DB8749D01670.jpeg

That's Tretch Craventail. A very high-ranking warlord of clan Rictus in the old world :) Also featured in the new Total War: Warhammer 2 game if you want to see him in action.

He is a warlord, but I'm sure you could easily run him as an assassin as well. I'll leave that to your personal preference ;)

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Hi guys,

found something very interesting today on the aos app:247A6C30-B1BC-4938-9270-4896E395E979.png.0c7c064289766aba1dd6a880296854af.pngI’m not sure what this means but from the looks of it we can use those battalions for free of charge in matched play.(I’m mostly focusing my view on the Runestruck pass battalion)

For matched play? No, very doubtful. No points should be a red flag that they cannot be used for matched play in my opinion. Most likely they are only there for people playing open/narrative.

• Sad 1

On 8/19/2018 at 2:08 AM, Lost2Requiem said:

Hi,

I’m after some help identifying a Skaven miniature and thought it best to consult the experts! Apologies if this is the wrong place to do this. 

So, images attached. Any ideas? Assassin of some type with trident and net..?

Thank you in advance. 

0D53C8B7-DB1A-4B60-8873-A33AD91B8A54.jpeg

1A4D0E9A-34DB-4943-8B2C-DB8749D01670.jpeg

That model is quite rare nowadays. You may be able to sell it for a decent price if that's your thing.

2 hours ago, Gwendar said:

For matched play? No, very doubtful. No points should be a red flag that they cannot be used for matched play in my opinion. Most likely they are only there for people playing open/narrative.

Ah well, maybe they’ll make the Ripsniks rider battalion a matched play option for skaven.

it would be great for Verminus or even better said mixed skaven armys.