AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

4 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

How those this than work with the crown of conquest.

it is nowhere stated that you have to use it but rather said that it is always activated.

those this than mean, that both Deathrunner will be taken of the board, because of both being an illusion or is it just that both of them are real?

My thoughts exactly. 

The Crown of Conquest should still be a viable tactic, I would think.   It's benefit is passive.  It is not "used" or otherwise specifically activated by the Deathrunner. 

I believe this clarifies things like each Deathrunner doesn't get to roll for something like cunning deceiver, which I don't think was ever intended to be allowed, but passive effects aren't "used" - they just exist.   I'm curious how people interpret this. 

6 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

How those this than work with the crown of conquest.

it is nowhere stated that you have to use it but rather said that it is always activated.

those this than mean, that both Deathrunner will be taken of the board, because of both being an illusion or is it just that both of them are real?

If this is the case would that mean a Deathrunner equipped with (for example) a Thermalrider Cloak or Gryph Feather would be revealed as soon as it moves as those change its move characteristic?

Poor Deathrunner isn't allowed to have any fun. :(

Edited by Ratzinkaiser

4 hours ago, BeefyLemur said:

What do you guys think about the assassin nerf? It pretty much makes him useless now right? He doesn't even attack before everything else anymore and the limit on where you can set him up ruins him. I don't know why they didn't just make him the same as that order assassin. I guess they didn't like the skitterleap combo....really strange to change it after the original faqs

Before: Note which unit the assassin is hiding in, if it is destroyed, he dies.

Now: Set him aside. Deploy him within 1 of ANY skaven unit of 5 or more models at the start of any combat phase.

That's a straight up buff to me, combat activation be damned. Now any of your infantry units could be hiding an assassin, and your opponent knows it. That's an extremely powerful mindgame tool, and allows you to reveal him exactly when, and where you want him. Slap a powerful artifact on top of that, and you'll be forcing costly positioning mistakes from an opponent as he's forced to protect himself from even a handful of useless clanrats :) Simply because the assassin could pop out of them if you got the opening.

Might have turned the assassin into an auto-include for me actually.

Edited by Mayple

56 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Before: Note which unit the assassin is hiding in, if it is destroyed, he dies.

Now: Set him aside. Deploy him within 1 of ANY skaven unit of 5 or more models at the start of any combat phase.

That's a straight up buff to me, combat activation be damned. Now any of your infantry units could be hiding an assassin, and your opponent knows it. That's an extremely powerful mindgame tool, and allows you to reveal him exactly when, and where you want him. Slap a powerful artifact on top of that, and you'll be forcing costly positioning mistakes from an opponent as he's forced to protect himself from even a handful of useless clanrats :) Simply because the assassin could pop out of them if you got the opening.

Might have turned the assassin into an auto-include for me actually.

But it doesn't say he attacks before everyone else. Now sure if it's your turn you can attack with him first, but you don't get to attack again with another unit after anymore.

6 hours ago, Mattbringssoda said:

My thoughts exactly. 

The Crown of Conquest should still be a viable tactic, I would think.   It's benefit is passive.  It is not "used" or otherwise specifically activated by the Deathrunner. 

I believe this clarifies things like each Deathrunner doesn't get to roll for something like cunning deceiver, which I don't think was ever intended to be allowed, but passive effects aren't "used" - they just exist.   I'm curious how people interpret this. 

Well at least our biggest combo seems to be still working.

8 hours ago, BeefyLemur said:

But it doesn't say he attacks before everyone else. Now sure if it's your turn you can attack with him first, but you don't get to attack again with another unit after anymore.

He doesn't, and I'm saying that doesn't matter due to the reasons above ;)

13 hours ago, Mattbringssoda said:

My thoughts exactly. 

I don't believe the Deathrunner can use the crown of conquest. This is down to the wording of crown of conquest;

"Friendly CHAOS units do not have to take battleshock tests while they are within 6inches of the bearer".

The crown says you "do not have to" implying there is a choice therefore an argument can be made that you are using the crown of command and its not a passive that is always in effect.

An example of this is - A deathrunner with Crown of command is next to a 40 man clan rat unit that gets shot by weapon X and 10 clan rats go down.  Now battleshock phase happens and you have a choice, either take a battleshock test or use the crown of command which triggers the deathrunner to use the artefact.

I still think that this needs some further clarification

I think this might be a good way to look at it:

There is only one true artifact, held by the real deathrunner. The fake deathrunner has a fake artifact. Therefore, the moment one of the deathrunner uses their artifact, or is the source of an artifact effect, it is clear to everyone which deathrunner is real, and which one is fake, so the fake deathrunner disappears while the real deathrunner, the one who used the artifact, remains.

Which makes sense, because there was never really two artifacts to begin with.

Edited by Mayple

I think the errata is clear. Make use of an artefact and it ends the illusion. Its an attempt to make the intent clear, which is one is fake and doesn't provide you benefits of a real one. The wording seems clear enough to me. In any case, if people still think that the crown is fine and play it that way, I'll be expecting another errata :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mattbringssoda said:

Hmm...yeah y'all are probably right....damn, my two new Deathrunners are going back into the Plano box, I guess... ☹️

They still make excellent assassins ;)

And a deathrunner is still one of the best choices as a carrier for a crown of command, or cunning deceiver, even without the clone. That -1 to hit for shooting is no joke.

• Like 1

Gonna try some stuff out tomorrow, mostly field-testing the new assassin changes. 

Allegiance: Chaos
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Skaven Assassin (100)
- General
- Fighting Claws
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Plague Furnace (180)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Gutter Runners (200)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
Congregation of Filth (170)

Total: 1930 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 237

Cunning deceiver on the assassin since the wording says "As long as this general has not been slain.." - which he will definitely not be when hiding in -any- of the many units I bring to the field ;)  Not super sure on that interpretation, but going with it for tomorrow's test at least. Plague furnace for battalion tax. Gonna be sitting in the back throwing out prayers and battleshock immunity.

General only enters the field of battle if he can get the drop on a solid target with his blade of judgement. 

I'll share how it goes! 

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Gonna try some stuff out tomorrow, mostly field-testing the new assassin changes. 

Skaven Assassin (100)
- General
- Fighting Claws
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
Plague Furnace (180)
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades

Total: 1930 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 237

Cunning deceiver on the assassin since the wording says "As long as this general has not been slain.." - which he will definitely not be when hiding in -any- of the many units I bring to the field ;)  Not super sure on that interpretation, but going with it for tomorrow's test at least. Plague furnace for battalion tax. Gonna be sitting in the back throwing out prayers and battleshock immunity.

General only enters the field of battle if he can get the drop on a solid target with his blade of judgement. 

I'll share how it goes! 

You have to be Pestilens Allegiance to use their battalions. 

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, RaritanAnon said:

You have to be Pestilens Allegiance to use their battalions. 

Oh? Is that a new addition? It hasn't been like that before.

Edit: just checked the wording in the GHB2018, there's no mention of needing the allegiance to use a battalion, so no change there. If you have all the neccesary units, and pay the points, you get it :) So I'm good.

Edited by Mayple

27 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Oh? Is that a new addition? It hasn't been like that before.

Edit: just checked the wording in the GHB2018, there's no mention of needing the allegiance to use a battalion, so no change there. If you have all the neccesary units, and pay the points, you get it :) So I'm good.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's not true. GW clarified that Pestilens battalions are only for Pestilens allegiance. 

2 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's not true. GW clarified that Pestilens battalions are only for Pestilens allegiance. 

This applies to every battalion. It has to match the Allegiance listed above it and whatnot. I believe it was in one of the FAQs

What Gw says:

A: Yes. The faction a warscroll battalion belongs to is shown on its warscroll, above the title of the battalion. In addition, the battalion is assumed to belong to the Grand Alliance that its faction is a part of.

so in other word yourstill alowed to use a Bataillon from a pestilence allegiance with an grand chaos allegiance army.

any other way would be stupid.

think of the everchosen battalions.

Some of them couldn’t be used at all, if the battalion could only be used with its allegiance.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

The FAQ about battalions relates specifically to instances in which you take one faction allegiance (say, Nurgle) and attempt to include a battalion from an allied faction (such as the Plaguetouched Warband from Everchosen), in which instance both the battalion itself and all of its included units count against your allied quota. This is a grand alliance chaos list, and hence there is no meaningful distinction that can be made between 'allied' and native 'faction' units; every possible battalion in Chaos is fair game.

• Like 2

Had two battles, used a slightly altered version of the list I proposed yesterday. Won both.

Skaven Assassin (100)
- General
- Fighting Claws
- Trait: Dark Avenger
Plague Furnace (180)
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
3 x Warplock Jezzails (140)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 233

I went with dark avenger on the assassin over cunning deceiver to trigger the blade of judgement on a 5+, ultimately didn't matter, so it needs more field testing. 

Fought both battles against the same list. Seraphon:

Lord Kroak, Astrolith bearer, Engine of the gods, 2x Bastiladons, 4x salamanders, 3x skink handlers, 3x10 skinks. Thunderquake starhost.

We played The better part of valour, and then Places of Arcane power. 

The first battle, better part of valour, started with the jezzails one-shotting his astrolith bearer. Everything moved up, and he conceded after taking his turn, since we both realised I had already won. He was surrounded, with no way to defeat the incoming horde. 

DSC_0024.JPG.a2a4933c5502a1d08bb05bed03a7de7f.JPG

This is how it looked at the end for reference, from left to right: 20 gutter runners, 40 plague monks, 40 plague monks, 40 plague monks, 5 gutter runners, 5 gutter runners, and 3x20 clanrats chilling on my objectives. Everything except the gutter runner units are in range of crown of command (bottom center) :)

Battle two! Places of Arcane power.

DSC_0030.JPG.276cb1cfea07a0f7c46391834c4634c0.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG.b8340b2cc9a125c7eb921ff917017c39.JPG

A potentially disadvantagous scenario for me since I only had two heroes available to contest objectives and one of them were in hiding off the battlefield. 

I deployed my four reserve units (gutter runners, assassin) first to get an idea of his deployment. When I saw that he was gunning for the middle and his far left, I deployed my furnace on my own left, as far away from the action as possible. Intending to camp an objective for free while my army won the battle elsewhere. Assassin's job was to contest Kroak, who was going for my right side objective, Gutter runners to flank his astrolith bearer, while two full units of plague monks were intended for his engine of the gods. Clanrats on the front line for no other reason than to get shot at. Everything is conga lined into the crown of command bubble. 

He takes the first turn.

TURN 1.

DSC_0031.JPG.481e6b759673f3f8ac736d393390f488.JPG

He moves forward. Shoots some clanrats, leaving six remaining but immune to battleshock. Wiffs his spells somewhat. Kills one jezzail. Summons cogs behind Kroak. Takes objective with engine, doesn't reach with Kroak. One point for him.

My turn. Gutter runners all arrive behind him (top left corner of the picture) and starts killing skinks with their throwing stars. They all fail to charge. Jezzails drop Astrolith bearer to four wounds. Furnace speeds up my left flank and secures the objective. Everything moves forward. My right flank plague monks (Gray) manages a 12" charge roll, and massacres a unit of skinks, skink handlers and the salamanders. Central plague monks (Red, Black) charge a unit of skinks as well, but the skinks slip away. One point for me.

TURN 2:

DSC_0032.JPG.89b14e804cc414dfa5193176e19c9c84.JPG

Doubleturn. 

Furnace chills. Clanrats on right side sneaks around the skink bubblewrap and comes close enough to unload the assassin onto Kroak. Black plague monks pours through a gap in the central defense, and starts stabbing the engine of the gods. Jezzails land two mortal wounds on it as well. Gutter Runners slaughter the astrolith bearer, and gets into a fight with the bastiladon and engine. Red plague monks manage to get involved in the Kroak fight. 

Assassin fails his attacks completely. Hitting once, which was the 5+, but getting a one on the D6 mortal wound roll. He gets knocked out for his efforts. Next time, buddy! Two more points for me, putting me at three.

His turn. He tries to teleport Kroak away, but rolls a 2. He tries cast, but only succeeds once. He tries to summon, but is surrounded, so unable to get it within 12" of Kroak, outside of 9" of my models 

He shoots into combat with bastiladons, but without the astrolith re-rolls he misses a lot. Engine blasts the furnace with mortal wounds, but gets torn down in his combat phase. Kroak is stuck in combat, but doesn't die. He gets another point, putting him at two.

TURN 3:

DSC_0033.JPG.1da41e37d54d4a90ca09dff4c3509250.JPG

He doubleturns.

Kroak drops a comet onto the furnace, leaving it at 5 wounds left. He tries to teleport away, but rolls a 1. He is still unable to summon, and fails a bunch of spells. 

Bastiladons are stuck in combat, tries to shoot themselves clear, but are unable to. 

Two points for him, putting him at four. 

My turn. Black plague monks re-enter combat after having killed the engine. They charge both bastiladons and kill them both. Clanrats retreat to deny space to teleport kroak to, just in case.

Jezzails blast kroak for four damage, and the red plague monks finish him off. Gray plague monks have three rats remaining, and run around without purpose. I table him, and gain three points, putting me at six. 

Notes:

- new assassin rules are great. The sheer threat of him appearing somewhere with the blade of judgement was enough to force some overly defensive plays. Worth it just for that alone, even though he failed in action.

- 20/5/5 gutter runners is a very good ratio. Enough to be a threat, small enough to sneak into small openings. Three reserve deployments also help with outdeploying the opponent. 

- The jezzails overperformed. They dropped mortal wounds every round. I need to see them fail, but I am impressed with their usefulness. One unit is cheap enough to justify it. Great for threatening low-wound targets from a safe distance. Really adds pressure to the opponent.

- Plague monks are pure gold. They can take on anything. 

- Clanrats now serve me purely as objective runners, but they are excellent at this. Worth the battleline tax. 

- Unsure about battalion. 6+ ward save is great, and re-rolling charges saves me command points as long as the furnace is in position, but I might not need it. Even crown of command feels uneccessary here, as odd as that seems. If I drop the battalion, I'll go for a screaming bell instead of furnace, and an Arch-warlock. Time will tell ;)

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Mayple said:

Had two battles, used a slightly altered version of the list I proposed yesterday. Won both.

Skaven Assassin (100)
- General
- Fighting Claws
- Trait: Dark Avenger
Plague Furnace (180)
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
3 x Warplock Jezzails (140)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 233

I went with dark avenger on the assassin over cunning deceiver to trigger the blade of judgement on a 5+, ultimately didn't matter, so it needs more field testing. 

Fought both battles against the same list. Seraphon:

Lord Kroak, Astrolith bearer, Engine of the gods, 2x Bastiladons, 4x salamanders, 3x skink handlers, 3x10 skinks. Thunderquake starhost.

We played The better part of valour, and then Places of Arcane power. 

The first battle, better part of valour, started with the jezzails one-shotting his astrolith bearer. Everything moved up, and he conceded after taking his turn, since we both realised I had already won. He was surrounded, with no way to defeat the incoming horde. 

DSC_0024.JPG.a2a4933c5502a1d08bb05bed03a7de7f.JPG

This is how it looked at the end for reference, from left to right: 20 gutter runners, 40 plague monks, 40 plague monks, 40 plague monks, 5 gutter runners, 5 gutter runners, and 3x20 clanrats chilling on my objectives. Everything except the gutter runner units are in range of crown of command (bottom center) :)

Battle two! Places of Arcane power.

DSC_0030.JPG.276cb1cfea07a0f7c46391834c4634c0.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG.b8340b2cc9a125c7eb921ff917017c39.JPG

A potentially disadvantagous scenario for me since I only had two heroes available to contest objectives and one of them were in hiding off the battlefield. 

I deployed my four reserve units (gutter runners, assassin) first to get an idea of his deployment. When I saw that he was gunning for the middle and his far left, I deployed my furnace on my own left, as far away from the action as possible. Intending to camp an objective for free while my army won the battle elsewhere. Assassin's job was to contest Kroak, who was going for my right side objective, Gutter runners to flank his astrolith bearer, while two full units of plague monks were intended for his engine of the gods. Clanrats on the front line for no other reason than to get shot at. Everything is conga lined into the crown of command bubble. 

He takes the first turn.

TURN 1.

DSC_0031.JPG.481e6b759673f3f8ac736d393390f488.JPG

He moves forward. Shoots some clanrats, leaving six remaining but immune to battleshock. Wiffs his spells somewhat. Kills one jezzail. Summons cogs behind Kroak. Takes objective with engine, doesn't reach with Kroak. One point for him.

My turn. Gutter runners all arrive behind him (top left corner of the picture) and starts killing skinks with their throwing stars. They all fail to charge. Jezzails drop Astrolith bearer to four wounds. Furnace speeds up my left flank and secures the objective. Everything moves forward. My right flank plague monks (Gray) manages a 12" charge roll, and massacres a unit of skinks, skink handlers and the salamanders. Central plague monks (Red, Black) charge a unit of skinks as well, but the skinks slip away. One point for me.

TURN 2:

DSC_0032.JPG.89b14e804cc414dfa5193176e19c9c84.JPG

Doubleturn. 

Furnace chills. Clanrats on right side sneaks around the skink bubblewrap and comes close enough to unload the assassin onto Kroak. Black plague monks pours through a gap in the central defense, and starts stabbing the engine of the gods. Jezzails land two mortal wounds on it as well. Gutter Runners slaughter the astrolith bearer, and gets into a fight with the bastiladon and engine. Red plague monks manage to get involved in the Kroak fight. 

Assassin fails his attacks completely. Hitting once, which was the 5+, but getting a one on the D6 mortal wound roll. He gets knocked out for his efforts. Next time, buddy! Two more points for me, putting me at three.

His turn. He tries to teleport Kroak away, but rolls a 2. He tries cast, but only succeeds once. He tries to summon, but is surrounded, so unable to get it within 12" of Kroak, outside of 9" of my models 

He shoots into combat with bastiladons, but without the astrolith re-rolls he misses a lot. Engine blasts the furnace with mortal wounds, but gets torn down in his combat phase. Kroak is stuck in combat, but doesn't die. He gets another point, putting him at two.

TURN 3:

DSC_0033.JPG.1da41e37d54d4a90ca09dff4c3509250.JPG

He doubleturns.

Kroak drops a comet onto the furnace, leaving it at 5 wounds left. He tries to teleport away, but rolls a 1. He is still unable to summon, and fails a bunch of spells. 

Bastiladons are stuck in combat, tries to shoot themselves clear, but are unable to. 

Two points for him, putting him at four. 

My turn. Black plague monks re-enter combat after having killed the engine. They charge both bastiladons and kill them both. Clanrats retreat to deny space to teleport kroak to, just in case.

Jezzails blast kroak for four damage, and the red plague monks finish him off. Gray plague monks have three rats remaining, and run around without purpose. I table him, and gain three points, putting me at six. 

Notes:

- new assassin rules are great. The sheer threat of him appearing somewhere with the blade of judgement was enough to force some overly defensive plays. Worth it just for that alone, even though he failed in action.

- 20/5/5 gutter runners is a very good ratio. Enough to be a threat, small enough to sneak into small openings. Three reserve deployments also help with outdeploying the opponent. 

- The jezzails overperformed. They dropped mortal wounds every round. I need to see them fail, but I am impressed with their usefulness. One unit is cheap enough to justify it. Great for threatening low-wound targets from a safe distance. Really adds pressure to the opponent.

- Plague monks are pure gold. They can take on anything. 

- Clanrats now serve me purely as objective runners, but they are excellent at this. Worth the battleline tax. 

- Unsure about battalion. 6+ ward save is great, and re-rolling charges saves me command points as long as the furnace is in position, but I might not need it. Even crown of command feels uneccessary here, as odd as that seems. If I drop the battalion, I'll go for a screaming bell instead of furnace, and an Arch-warlock. Time will tell ;)

Nice write up! 

• Like 1

Really love the report especially against the particular Seraphon list that's so popular right now. I may need to rethink the value of units outside of Skryre and try splitting up my 40 gutter runners differently. 

The thought of playing/painting that many models is a nightmare to me when my Eshin setup (~120-126 models) is about as much as I can take. Look forward to your further testing and updates. 

5 minutes ago, robbobobo said:

Well, you've talked me into thinking that I need Gutter Runners and an Assassin, yes-yes.

More of a hobby question but what do you all use for Gutter Runners? OG GW, third-party or conversion work?

At the moment I tend to use black-robed plague monks as proxies, because that's the most fitting I have right now ;) With the release of all the new nighthaunt stuff however, there's soooo many flowing robes in high numbers available that converting up full units of knife-wielding hooded killer rats have never been more doable! Gonna start on that project next week. Could keep you posted if you're looking to convert some gutter runners of your own? 

• Like 2

Thanks Mayple! Great report, appreciate you posting this, very good read. 

Good to see you get the better of ThunderKroak with simple units in numbers and just good play. 

Agree on the plague monks, they are consistent performers for me.