AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

16 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Saw it.

its really interesting what kind of shenanigans, skaven are getting right now.

now the only thing missing and what interests me most is how the allegiance ability’s of the master and clan Eshin works.

I'm dying to be able to bring my Eshin back out in full force. Eshin + Skryre combination will be my go-to, depending on the rules of course.

I'm slightly worried about transporting those gnawholes. At least the Wyldwoods are flat and the trees are small enough to go in my case but.... if those gnawholes are as big as they seem, carrying them in my magnetized case is going to take up a lot of retail space.

I like the gnawholes. The "within 6' outside of 9" of enemy" allows for plenty of counterplay, which enables the rules to be much more beneficial when not countered. Slamming a single model ontop of a gnawhole will effectively block any skaven tunneling through it.

Also, might I add... Put the three gnawholes next to each-other, and you get triple arcane bonus. 

There's no such thing as overkill :D

edit: nevermind. Arcane is "any" :(

Edited by Mayple
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Just for those who check here before the community site:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/07/chaos-battletome-skaven-endless-spells/

The rules for the vortexes are much cooler than the models ;) Makes it worth it for me. Things hindering movement are amazing! MW are a bonus.

The Bell is great fluff wise and i'm guessing gamewise as well. No battleshock and the potential to blow itself up on a roll of 13... Count me in. 

Rat swarm... mheh. it's basically the spider swarm but without the cool, the come from terrain set up ability. 

The 3 Gnawholes, it doesn't say how set up goes, which is so defining. But.. you can teleport one unit wholly within 6 to one of the others if there is also a hero within six at the starting point. Love those shenanigans but... 40 rats in 6" of the gnawhole is tough and even worse when you have to also be outside of 9" and within 6" upon arriving. Still cool, just need to play a few games to see how that goes. Also they are obstacles.

Rat Swarm I think looks pretty good, it doesn't seem too strong but the fact that skaven have immunity to it makes it a pretty safe spell to use.

Vortexes could be interesting, summoning them to control areas like onto a far away objective sounds like a fun strategy. Will have to test it out.

Bell looks great, it's basically our crown of conquest in a more mobile, longer range spell form with the fun skaven-y chance of just blowing itself up. Definitely my favorite rules-wise.

Gnawholes I don't really see much use for personally, but if they're free then might as well use them if you have them. I guess teleporting clanrats is cool, but unless warpgrinders are removed from the tome I don't see the point of spending a bunch of money on terrain, most skaven units that benefit from deepstriking already have abilities to do so and the gnawholes are big and predictable. I was hoping they'd be use for a skaven summoning mechanic. I do like that they aren't "mandatory" terrain though, just a thing you can use if you think it sounds good or fun.

56 minutes ago, Mayple said:

I like the gnawholes. The "within 6' outside of 9" of enemy" allows for plenty of counterplay, which enables the rules to be much more beneficial when not countered. Slamming a single model ontop of a gnawhole will effectively block any skaven tunneling through it.

Also, might I add... Put the three gnawholes next to each-other, and you get triple arcane bonus. 

There's no such thing as overkill

edit: nevermind. Arcane is "any"

Welcome back Mayple, we missed you

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Envyus said:

Thanquol needs his Warpfire throwers toned down however. 2d6 mortal wounds for free is a bit too strong.

His unique spell needs an upgrade too. (Maybe dealing d3 mortal wounds to all enemy units in a line maybe, D6 wounds if they are skaven units in the way.) 

It would reflect his habit of getting his minions killed, while making more than just Arcane Bolt but worse. 

He's 400 points though. I think he's fine just where he is.

Exactly, it's more i think that Thanquol is very expensive. 400 points for only one shoot of 2D6 mortals (7 points of damage in average)  and two spells, and a weak melee damage (for the cost). For 290 points you have 3 stormfiends that do more damage with his flamethrower (12 points of damage in average and minimum of 6 damage points) with only weak point that is her bravery,  you cover it with 60 points of packmaster. Also the packmaster can do +1 to wound in the melee combat.

NZ preorders are up. A few observations:

ALMOST all models on round bases. Acolytes, rat swarms, jezzails, all the old stuff. Except the Assasin for some reason...
New names are shown. "Weapon Team" dropped from the name of those models. New names: Master Moulder, Clawlord, Deathmaster

Other than that not many changes. BTW these name/photo updates are already on the US site as well. 

I really like the new grey seer warscroll, I think this will make them much more viable and not be outclassed by warlock engineers as much. The new spell will be way more useful overall than vermintide was, and 2 casts and unbinds is fantastic. I don't really see why they removed the command ability, but we have other ways to negate battleshock now plus hordes will have higher bravery from strength in numbers so it's no big deal

• Like 1

Hmmm, looked at the warhammer age of sigmar app. Maybe it's in the allegiance abilities but there is a lot of flavour gone. With the bully rule for the stormvermin as an highlight. No more improved characteristic for being with more. No more different weapon load outs for warlords. Warpgnaw verminlord is now a two cast wizard who can hide himself in a warphole during set up. Was really hoping him to improve the abilities of the warphole, so that's my own expectation management. But still. 

Some things have improved drastically in my mind. Spell from the Grey seer is really cool but bit close range. Rol 2D6, if it's higher than a unit's wounds characterisic do D3 MW + -1 to hit in melee until your hero phase. The warpstone tokens is very thematic as well. Master Moulder can command ability a destroyed unit back on a 5+. Which is very cool take on the endless monstrosities of Moulder in my mind. 

All 'self destruct' abilities have become more deadly. Overpower the halberd on a Arch warlock for D6 damage you risk doing D6 MW to yourself. 

All the scrolls look more sleek but I hope the allegiance abilities do a it more to make it feel Skaven.