AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Skreech, love the list, they can't kill them all. Just a few things that might need consideration.

1) Aside from the PP with Warpstone-Tipped Staff you lack any interaction with magic. A Grey Seer or Warlock Engineer wouldn't go amiss so you don't get run over by magic and Endless spells.

2) Is is just me or do you have 40 Stormvermin for 500?

3)  You have 100pts to spare, were they for two extra Command Points?

Sorry for the poor formatting if this post looks wierd, posted via phone.

Edited by robbobobo
  • Thanks 1

@Skreech Verminking I think you will find that 20 Gutter runners will outperform 30 plague monks :) I'd reccommend that, since the point values are so similar, but Gutter Runners gives more bang for your buck 

Looks doable outside of that. Maybe see how cunning deceiver interacts with Deathrunner to give you a terrifyingly effective general instead of the warlord.

Edited by Mayple
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

So how do you guys burn through painting 120 Clanrats? Jesus I'm staring at only 40 right now and I'm scared out of my gourd. Am I going to need movement trays? 

by painting 40-80clnarats with a color in 2hours.

and repeating this process again and again until you have 40-80painted clanrats 

Edited by Skreech Verminking

13 hours ago, robbobobo said:

Skreech, love the list, they can't kill them all. Just a few things that might need consideration.

1) Aside from the PP with Warpstone-Tipped Staff you lack any interaction with magic. A Grey Seer or Warlock Engineer wouldn't go amiss so you don't get run over by magic and Endless spells.

2) Is is just me or do you have 40 Stormvermin for 500?

3)  You have 100pts to spare, were they for two extra Command Points?

Sorry for the poor formatting if this post looks wierd, posted via phone.

Well, the warscroll builder allows me to field 40Stormvermins instead of 30 for 500p.

Hi everyone,

I usually play 1k games as Skryre and I tend to face lots of behemoths in lists that I'm not equipped to deal with, so I'm considering bringing a mixed Skaven list with plenty of big cheese to please the Great Horned Rat. Typically, my enemies would be:

Sylvaneth
Drycha Hamadreth
Treelord Ancient
10 Dryads
3 Kurnoth Hunters
Some other small units

or

Flesh-Eater Courts
Abbhorant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist
Varghulf Courtier
20 Ghouls
10 Ghouls
A few other units

The Sylvaneth is a big problem, because he gets 2 behemoths, one of which (Drycha) has a 3+ save rerolling 1s thanks to the Ancient, they get 10-12 wounds each, they can heal d6 or d3 wounds per turn and they toss mortal wounds like crazy.

The Death player should be killable if I manage to position some Stormfiends, unleash the dakka and pray for good rolls.

That said, I'd like to change my list and give them a taste of their own medecine by bringing some big rats myself. My idea was:

Warpgnaw Verminlord
Verminlord Warpseer
20 Clanrats
20 Clanrats
1 Warp Lightning Cannon

The idea is to alpha strike with the Verminlords while the Clanrats and WLC chill on back objectives, then the Warpseer starts spawning Giant Rats like crazy.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Lazaris

Hi

I'm not sure your packs of 20 clanrats or your 3d6 giant rats per turn would do anything to the behemoths if your goal is to take them down (instead of playing the objectives). The verminlords won't do much either I'm afraid?

Other things that could be tried:

- verminlord deceiver, thanquol, 2*20 rats, endless spell?

- 3 warp lightning cannons (skryre of chaos allegiance) with some chaff

- 160 clanrats, a warlord, and extra: what could behemoths dealing a few mortal wounds even do against 160 clanrats???

Actually, the Clan rats and Giant rats are there for objectives. The behemoths are killed by the Warpgnaw Verminlord (4 attacks with -2 rend and 5 dmg each) and/or Verminlord Warpseer.

- I also thought about Verminlord deceiver + thanquol, but skitterleap can be unbound more easily in this edition, and you have to choose EITHER the verminlord OR another unit, but not at the same time... So I'm expecting to teleport Thanquol, lose him in one turn, then skitterleap the verminlord, and lose him as well... I'm not sure they will do much.

- 3 WLC: This is extremely unreliable, and 24" range with a 3" move... I don't think I will EVER be in range to shoot the behemoths. And that's not even counting the fact that the Sylvaneth player is placing woods, effectively killing my LOS.

- That's probably a viable option... Though the idea of painting 160 clan rats gives me nightmares. ?

• Like 1

Wow OK, I get it, you're using the warpgnaw verminlord to teleport the other verminlord as well. I completely missed this warscroll change. You convinced me with your first list then :) It sure looks better than thanquol+deceiver then

LLet us know how it goes

3 hours ago, Lazaris said:

Hi everyone,

I usually play 1k games as Skryre and I tend to face lots of behemoths in lists that I'm not equipped to deal with, so I'm considering bringing a mixed Skaven list with plenty of big cheese to please the Great Horned Rat. Typically, my enemies would be:

Sylvaneth
Drycha Hamadreth
Treelord Ancient
10 Dryads
3 Kurnoth Hunters
Some other small units

or

Flesh-Eater Courts
Abbhorant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist
Varghulf Courtier
20 Ghouls
10 Ghouls
A few other units

The Sylvaneth is a big problem, because he gets 2 behemoths, one of which (Drycha) has a 3+ save rerolling 1s thanks to the Ancient, they get 10-12 wounds each, they can heal d6 or d3 wounds per turn and they toss mortal wounds like crazy.

The Death player should be killable if I manage to position some Stormfiends, unleash the dakka and pray for good rolls.

That said, I'd like to change my list and give them a taste of their own medecine by bringing some big rats myself. My idea was:

Warpgnaw Verminlord
Verminlord Warpseer
20 Clanrats
20 Clanrats
1 Warp Lightning Cannon

The idea is to alpha strike with the Verminlords while the Clanrats and WLC chill on back objectives, then the Warpseer starts spawning Giant Rats like crazy.

Any thoughts?

Cool consept but you can't teleport the warpseer as he is not a skaven the verminlords are demons and the warpgnaw can only tunnel skaven units 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Allegiance: Chaos
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Warpgnaw Verminlord (320)
Deathrunner (120)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
30 x Plague Monks (210)
- Foetid Blades
30 x Plague Monks (210)
- Foetid Blades
20 x Gutter Runners (200)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 225

Alright! Been thinking about how to utilize some of the new stuff - playing the objective game while retaining enough punch to dictate the flow of battle. Deathrunner general as the top-notch cheese, although on the field of battle I'd probably end up downsizing the bladerats to bring a Screaming Bell instead, since I'm working on a cool convertion for it, which would be a shame to not use. 

Thoughts? 

Edit: Oh! Since it's not clear; The plan is to burrow the two plague monk units with the Warpgnaw Verminlords.

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Oldmanlee said:

Cool consept but you can't teleport the warpseer as he is not a skaven the verminlords are demons and the warpgnaw can only tunnel skaven units 

Nooooooooooooooooooooo. This displeases me, yes-yes.

12 hours ago, Nizrah said:

What do you think about doomwheels, ratogors and hellpit abomination?

None of those are really good enough for competitive play. For casual games, they're great. The doomwheel will provide quite  a few laugh out loud moments and the hellpit, when you get a decent move (and perhaps accompanied by a packmaster) will do some serious damage. The rat ogors are decent because they're one of our few rend with serious damage units, but aren't too resilient. Also if you can't get the spire of dawn miniatures for them, the regular minis are very very bad. Huge gaps, little detail and awkward poses.

10 hours ago, Mayple said:

Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Deathrunner (120)
- General
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
30 x Plague Monks (210)
- Foetid Blades
30 x Plague Monks (210)
- Foetid Blades
20 x Gutter Runners (200)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 225

Alright! Been thinking about how to utilize some of the new stuff - playing the objective game while retaining enough punch to dictate the flow of battle. Deathrunner general as the top-notch cheese, although on the field of battle I'd probably end up downsizing the bladerats to bring a Screaming Bell instead, since I'm working on a cool convertion for it, which would be a shame to not use. 

Thoughts? 

Edit: Oh! Since it's not clear; The plan is to burrow the two plague monk units with the Warpgnaw Verminlords.

Looks good 

It pleases me much  yes-yes.

Glory for clan mors!

On 7/3/2018 at 5:43 AM, Reeve said:

Have you guys seen the new Crown of Conquest? 

Friendly CHAOS units do not have to take battleshock tests while they are within 6" of the bearer 

Cunning Deciever is also quite awesome: 

Roll a dice at the start of each of your hero phases as long as this general has not been slain. On a 5+ you receive 1 extra command point. 

Can someone tell me where this is published?  I just updated the app but the Chaos allegiance abilities don't match this...

Thank ya! 

Hmmm I think I see why I'm confused....the free core "rules" download doesn't have them (nor does the GH18), meaning, I suppose, the hardcover Core "Book" that came in the box set has the grand alliance abilities now....which conveniently means to get them, one has to shell out another 30 to 50 bucks to get a digital or physical copy....

Unless, is anyone aware if they have the GA allegiance abilities free to download somewhere still?  I can't seem to find them free anywhere...

18 hours ago, robbobobo said:

It seems as if we're all veering towards the strength in numbers gameplan, so I thought up this list. I'm on the fence about the ranged options and I feel naked without a Skaven Warlord but I would love your input on it.

Skaventest-1.jpg

I'd still try to slot in a Warlord, his command ability is an amazing amplifier for your Clanrats. 

@Skreech Verminking cool, in that case I'm just gonna post my currently planned list for friendly Vanguard games in our gaming group of about six people. 

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Skaven Warlord (100)
- General
- Warpforged Blade
Grey Seer (100)

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
3 x Stormfiends (290)
1 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (60)

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Endless Spells
Suffocating Gravetide (30)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Wounds: 77

Other than the Scrollbuilder webpage, has there been any communication from GW (Facebook, etc) indicating the actual points for Stormvermin?

(Not sure that it makes sense for them to be a premium cost for a unit of 30.)

The Profile in the AoS app still shows them at max 30 @ 500 Points.