AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Plague priests have been the talk of the town. I'm not a fan. Not at all. My dissenting opinion concerns the practical use of them in a game. Whats the range of the prayer? 13 in. When is it used? Hero phase. Here's the scenarios where you can make it work: A) opponent charged you on their turn, doing a full round of combat and you not yet having a debuff on the enemy in retaliation, then its your turn, now an enemy is in range or B) you skitterleaped a priest into range ahead of charging clanrats/stormvermin, then press B to pray.

Generally, opponents that are in your face turn 1 are where pestilen units really shine since so many cool abilities proc at the beginning of your turn and in short range. While skaven in general are fast, we are not yet built to be in an opponents face turn 2 even. If you wanna run a priest, just know its a hero that I would say doesn't get used effectively until turn 3. Whereas a Warlock engineer can spit out mortal wounds every turn and give spell support. 

Using the priest to Max/Min your vermintide's damage output is enticing, but its also a great exercise in understanding threat ranges, timing and positioning. I recommend leaning on warlords since their FAQ'd command ability already provides enough of these concepts to practice in pick-up games. 

On 8/11/2018 at 6:03 PM, Mayple said:

Hah, you're right ? it didn't work either.

I completely misplayed it. Thanquol went the whole game without using his warpthrowers, cast two spells over the course of the game, and didn't even take a wound because he was so out of position. His command ability is pure gold though, but the list needs tweaking. Probably dropping an arch-warlock for something.

The ungors, which are essentially a smaller unit of clanrats in stats, were very useful however. 

We played the "one objective in each corner, hold both from round three onwards to win" scenario in realm of metal with the rust plague feature. The Seraphon turtled up in his corner, and I failed to breach it, mostly due to misplacing my second wave ? Ratling guns were essential to removing chaff walls, but I might not need two. Between removing one of those and one Arch-Warlock,  two ungor units might become two full clanrat stacks. Gotta check the numbers when I get back.

Edit: Something like this. Should at the very least give some staying power, which I felt I lacked during this game.

Allegiance: Chaos
Thanquol and Boneripper (400)
- Warpfire Projectors
Screaming Bell (200)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
20 x Gutter Runners (200)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 255

Sorry haven't caught up with most of what was written after this. But I would really advise for a Verminlord Corruptor. His buff of attacks works with Skaven Keyword (so most of your armies) but is deadly with charging Plague Monks.  Wizard caster with 2 spells every turn and is relatively cheap (220 points) everything he does in combat is bonus from there onwards. 

Verminlord Warbringer
Skaven Warlord
Plauge priest with warpstone-tipped staff

40 clanrats spears
40 clanrats spears
20 clanrats swords

40 stormvermins w. shields
3 stormfiends

Hellpit abomination

19990 point 192 wounds 

I'm quite happy with the idea of this army, and I don't expect to win alot. (altough I'd like to)

Any tips? Ideas? Things to switch out?

How do i equip my verminlord for best effect?

Edited by walheim

1 hour ago, walheim said:

Verminlord Warbringer
Skaven Warlord
Plauge priest with warpstone-tipped staff

40 clanrats spears
40 clanrats spears
20 clanrats swords

40 stormvermins w. shields
3 stormfiends

Hellpit abomination

19990 point 192 wounds 

I'm quite happy with the idea of this army, and I don't expect to win alot. (altough I'd like to)

Any tips? Ideas? Things to switch out?

How do i equip my verminlord for best effect?

At all cost do not make your Verminlord your warlord.

he will die immediately ( edit:) die if you do so, and if your Enemy has a lot of shooting.

as for warlord traits artefacts.

id go for crown of conquest for the battleshock immunity for near friendly units, and Lord of war, Cunning deceiver or Maleciont conquer(don’t know or care how you spell the last word).

ps:should you want your warbringer in combat at all times try the dopplegangercloak.

the bemeny will not be able to attack this model before it will attack, which could sometimes mean that a enemeny might not fight at all.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

At all cost do not make your Verminlord your warlord.

he will die immediately if you do so, and if your Enemy has a lot of shooting.

as for warlord traits artefacts.

id go for crown of conquest for the battleshock immunity for near friendly units, and Lord of war, Cunning deceiver or Maleciont conquer(don’t know or care how you spell the last word).

ps:should you want your warbringer in combat at all times try the dopplegangercloak.

the bemeny will not be able to attack this model before it will attack, which could sometimes mean that a enemeny might not fight at all.

AHA!

Very helpfull, keep the unsuspekting guys warlords! 
Very sneaky-like of you yes-yes!

Yes, i want to have it in combat, and i want to charge each time, that much i've understood. 
Do you think this list is atleast OK? I'm  going to be able to take objectives and holding them a couple of turns with my swarm o' rats.

@KramerUnsure why you feel the need to be passive-aggressive about it. I was just showing my list idea and excited I would be getting it built up at some point in the future. I guess I shouldn't post any theory-crafting here like everyone else does?

@walheimI will say that the Priest has done quite well for me in my Eshin lists as I can teleport him in with the Deceiver and then debuff a unit with the prayer + book to give Gutter Runners a good shot at taking it out in the same turn with their shooting. Overall I think it's a solid enough list, but I think when it comes down to it, the best thing you can do is just get some games in and see how it plays and then make changes from there. You may find that the Priest didn't do much, or that the 20 Clanrat unit was useless...Or you may find that they won you the game a lot of the time.

• Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

@KramerUnsure why you feel the need to be passive-aggressive about it. I was just showing my list idea and excited I would be getting it built up at some point in the future. I guess I shouldn't post any theory-crafting here like everyone else does?

@walheimI will say that the Priest has done quite well for me in my Eshin lists as I can teleport him in with the Deceiver and then debuff a unit with the prayer + book to give Gutter Runners a good shot at taking it out in the same turn with their shooting. Overall I think it's a solid enough list, but I think when it comes down to it, the best thing you can do is just get some games in and see how it plays and then make changes from there. You may find that the Priest didn't do much, or that the 20 Clanrat unit was useless...Or you may find that they won you the game a lot of the time.

Great response! 

The unit of 20 is just because i need those 3 darn battleline units!

Thank you!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, walheim said:

AHA!

Very helpfull, keep the unsuspekting guys warlords! 
Very sneaky-like of you yes-yes!

Yes, i want to have it in combat, and i want to charge each time, that much i've understood. 
Do you think this list is atleast OK? I'm  going to be able to take objectives and holding them a couple of turns with my swarm o' rats.

It definitely has potential.

but if your army will have a chance of taking and holding objective and live till the end of round 5-6 is something that depends against what kind of player (and army) you’ll be trying your list on.

against a tournament player you might struggle.

agaisnt somebody who enjoys playing and is looking for a fun matchup or only wants to play his army after a certain fluff, then yes your army will be perfect.

but still like Gwendar already said it, try your list out (which means play it a few times 3-5) have fun and chance some things if something seems to be not doing what it should do.

anyways hope this’ll help you,

and happy wargaming/

Kill-slay yes-yes 

Poster-things shall pay-die,

Glooooooooooory to mors (or your clan)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

@KramerUnsure why you feel the need to be passive-aggressive about it. I was just showing my list idea and excited I would be getting it built up at some point in the future. I guess I shouldn't post any theory-crafting here like everyone else does

Haha sorry, we’re miscommunicating here. My comments, and that’s why I only quoted that bit, was in regards to your trademarked ‘soon’. I thought you were referencing how GW constantly uses ’soon’ and it can mean next week or 6 months. I thought it was a funny reference. Never meant to be interpreted as passive aggressive or even in reference to anything else said in you post. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Haha sorry, we’re miscommunicating here. My comments, and that’s why I only quoted that bit, was in regards to your trademarked ‘soon’. I thought you were referencing how GW constantly uses ’soon’ and it can mean next week or 6 months. I thought it was a funny reference. Never meant to be interpreted as passive aggressive or even in reference to anything else said in you post. 

No worries, it was early and I wasn't fully awake so I jumped the gun a bit! My mistake. But yes, I was of course poking fun at that. Largely in part due to the fact I also want to start another army or two at the same time, but one can only do so much.

Believe me, I definitely hope it will be less than 6 months. I have some faith in that list doing decently in tournament play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

It definitely has potential.

but if your army will have a chance of taking and holding objective and live till the end of round 5-6 is something that depends against what kind of player (and army) you’ll be trying your list on.

against a tournament player you might struggle.

agaisnt somebody who enjoys playing and is looking for a fun matchup or only wants to play his army after a certain fluff, then yes your army will be perfect.

but still like Gwendar already said it, try your list out (which means play it a few times 3-5) have fun and chance some things if something seems to be not doing what it should do.

anyways hope this’ll help you,

and happy wargaming/

Kill-slay yes-yes 

Poster-things shall pay-die,

Glooooooooooory to mors (or your clan)

There's a mix of new and experienced players at my local gaming area.

Thank you for the good advice, I'll try this list out and build from there.

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

No worries, it was early and I wasn't fully awake so I jumped the gun a bit! My mistake. But yes, I was of course poking fun at that. Largely in part due to the fact I also want to start another army or two at the same time, but one can only do so much.

Believe me, I definitely hope it will be less than 6 months. I have some faith in that list doing decently in tournament play.

And who says everybody is rude on the internet ;) 

• Like 1

Hello fellow ratfans! I played a Skaven heavy Mixed Chaos list at Blood and Glory last weekend coming a respectable 33/165. Here was the list I took:

Daemonsmith (100)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Verminlord Deceiver (300)
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Mount: Steed
- Runestaff
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (280)
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (70)
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (120)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 173

The Skaven components worked very well and none of them came away from the event on the chopping block. I feel like it's impossible to consider a list without the Crown of Conquest, and whilst the Verminlord Deceiver does a lot of work in combat (not to mention baby-sitting the Enlightened) the Warpeer is always MVP for me - so versatile! The 3d6 giant rats for 1 CP come in so handy for so many things; screens, bodies on objectives, teleport denial etc. The Warpfire Weapon Team was also a great defensive unit - always worth it's meagre points.

IMG_0554.JPG

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 4

Your list and army looks fantastic.

although I myself have to say that I’ll probably never take anything that doesn’t have the Verminlord or Skaven keyword into my Army.

but still we greatly appreciate your report.

also your army on parate looks fantastic.

good job Marc Wilson 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Marc Wilson said:

If i was going to change anything I would try and squeeze in 10 Night Runners to mitigate Gavriel / Ell spam / 1 drop Sylvaneth

Yeah I was thinking of the same idea.

but them having next to protecting my whole army from something like a Gavriel bomb etc. To, also hold objective.

You know how angry the foe-thing will get when he gives you the first turn, and you won’t be moving any of your units but instead will put  120 worthless points of meatshields who are holding now most-all objective markers in the first turn (giving you a lead) and making it impossible for him  to deepstrike any of his units??

yes-Yes, stupid weak meat (posterthings) will pay-die. 

14 minutes ago, walheim said:

Hey guys!

I've bin pondering about the idea of havkng both a warlord and a corruptor in my army, is it normal to have 2 verminlords?

Well you usually don’t see too many people using 2Verminlords.

But hey any new list is a suprise for your enemy, surprise them and victory will be yours Yes-yes

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well you usually don’t see too many people using 2Verminlords.

But hey any new list is a suprise for your enemy, surprise them and victory will be yours Yes-yes

Would it be a good idea? Or is it better to spend those points on other things instead?
I mean, they do quite different things, and i like the look and spells and stats of both.. Maybe better to have one of each for different lists?

20 minutes ago, walheim said:

Would it be a good idea? Or is it better to spend those points on other things instead?
I mean, they do quite different things, and i like the look and spells and stats of both.. Maybe better to have one of each for different lists?

What’s the other Verminlord you have or want to have in your Army?

and is your army more focusing on verminus or pestilence or etc.?

2 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

What’s the other Verminlord you have or want to have in your Army?

and is your army more focusing on verminus or pestilence or etc.?

Verminlord Warbringer

Well right now focused on verminus, alota stormvermin and clanrat shenanigans.

1 hour ago, walheim said:

Verminlord Warbringer

Well right now focused on verminus, alota stormvermin and clanrat shenanigans.

Then yes, your list is definitely something to be reckoned with.

just as a reminder, you’ll be having around 600p worth of hero’s if your taking a Warbringer, Corruptor and a Skaven Warlord. If your Also looking forward of using a unit of 40Stormvermims this’ll cost you 1100p.

But don’t worry to soon my friend you’ll still have plenty of points left, even if your taking 120clanrats as battleline, for a unit of stormfiends, 4warpfire thrower Teams or 5poisoned Wind mortars, etc.

i like the way your going and 2Verminlords can have a punch.

suprise your foe,

show them what we got,

Kill-slay manthings,

Destroy-take City burrows,

Yes-yes,

Hurry-scurry my children, for we will rise and take-steal what should be ours.

Glooooooory to Mors 

• LOVE IT! 1

8 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Then yes, your list is definitely something to be reckoned with.

just as a reminder, you’ll be having around 600p worth of hero’s if your taking a Warbringer, Corruptor and a Skaven Warlord. If your Also looking forward of using a unit of 40Stormvermims this’ll cost you 1100p.

But don’t worry to soon my friend you’ll still have plenty of points left even if your taking 120clanrats as battleline for a unit of stormfiends, 4warpfire thrower Teams or 5poisoned Wind mortars, etc.

i like the way your going and 2Verminlords can have a punch.

suprise your foe,

show them what we got,

Kill-slay manthings,

Destroy-take City burrows,

Yes-yes,

Hurry-scurry my children, for we will rise and take-steal what should be ours.

Glooooooory to Mors 

Leaders
Skaven Warlord (100)
- General
- Warpforged Blade
Verminlord Warbringer (280)
Verminlord Corruptor (220)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
40 x Stormvermin (500)
- Halberd & Shield
3 x Stormfiends (290)
1 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (60)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 190

How would you equip the warlord for this army?
Im not sure and googling about how to make him good isnt really working out.
What I know is i want to give him the crown of conquest to get the AOE buff. atleast that's what i understand!

• LOVE IT! 1

Looks good .

I’d equipped the warlord with a warpforged blade and shield, since the shield will Garantie you that he might live a little bit longer.

the warpforgrd sword won’t really make him better or as good as a Ironjaws Megaboss, but should deal a lot of damage should he hit and wound with most of his attacks.

but let me tell you something, you don’t want your warlord in the frontline, there are reasons why Skaven Generals and hero’s lead from the back.

no Skaven Warlord, Grey seer or Verminlord in their right mind would ever engage their foe face to face and definitely won’t be a part of the first wave reaching the Enemy except for Queek Headtaker, but that guy was a beast in combat.

what you want to do is to wait until your foe-things are engaged with clanrats Stormvermins etc. And are wounded to the prime this is the only time your Skaven Warlord will shine in battle.

Verminlords can engage much earlier but beware of hero’s or monsters like Nagash, Morathi, Stardrake etc.