AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hi everybody,

after seeign such amazing Tipps and tournamentlist.

It took me to and so I started to make some of my own.

one of them looks like this:

Heros:480p

1Verminlord Corruptor:220p (General: Lord of war)

1plague priest:80p

1pague priest:80p

1Grey seer:100p (crown of conquest)

battleline:

3x40clanrats:600p

others:

4x20plague monks (dopple blades):560p

3xpoisoned wind mortar teams:180p

2xwarpfire thrower teams:140p

endless spells: pendulum:40p

i am great full for any advice you guys can give me????

thanks in advance 

• Like 2

its an interesting list for me, I cant say there is anything much wrong with it on the whole. Personally I would probably take a warlock engineer instead of 1 of the plague monk units/plague priests and then get some command points in reserve to stop you running.  Also the extra wizard help with scenarios that need them.

I'm not a big fan of the vermin lord corruptor, I don't tend to find his command ability worth it most of the time and he lack the power in combat of the others, also plague is handy but no more of less useful than a lot of the other spells from the other vermin lords. He is cheap though.

I would give the crown of conquest to someone other than the grey seer as well. His command ability means he can help stop the army running away as is, and he doesn't need to be near combat for his spell so better off on someone else. 

Do you have a particular play style out of interest that you favour, as that can influence what advice I would suggest?

Random shot in the dark, but has anyone witnessed a Deathrunner with an artifact played in a list. I'm aware of the FAQ about the illusion disappearing after the "use" of an artifact but I still can't get over passive abilities possibly triggering this effect. I still can't find a way to ask GW this question directly but wanted to hear everyone's experiences. For reference:

‘When this Skaven Deathrunner is set up, place both of its Skaven Deathrunner models on the battlefield. They do not need to be within 1" of each other. When one of these Skaven Deathrunner models attacks or uses an ability, command trait or artefact of power, then the other model is removed from play. If one of these Skaven Deathrunner models is slain, roll a dice. On a 1-3, the other model is removed from play. On a 4+, the other model is not removed from play.’

1 hour ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Random shot in the dark, but has anyone witnessed a Deathrunner with an artifact played in a list. I'm aware of the FAQ about the illusion disappearing after the "use" of an artifact but I still can't get over passive abilities possibly triggering this effect. I still can't find a way to ask GW this question directly but wanted to hear everyone's experiences. For reference:

‘When this Skaven Deathrunner is set up, place both of its Skaven Deathrunner models on the battlefield. They do not need to be within 1" of each other. When one of these Skaven Deathrunner models attacks or uses an ability, command trait or artefact of power, then the other model is removed from play. If one of these Skaven Deathrunner models is slain, roll a dice. On a 1-3, the other model is removed from play. On a 4+, the other model is not removed from play.’

No not really.

If been thinking of using a Deathrunner with the crown of conquest, since he will be hart to kill by shooting at all time (-2to the Hit roles through smoke bombs (-1) and look out sir (-1)

the Problem I have with this model when he takes the crown of conquest ist that it’s ability is always activated.

so what exactly does this mean?

does it mean because both of them are using it at the same time that I’d have to remove both of them?

In the same time The artefact crown of conquest says that it is beeing carried by one (in case of the Deathrunner him and his illusion) model and every unit within 6inches of him just ignores battleshock.

its never stating of any activation to be needed, for it to work.

and that’s we’re i

I’m struggling with him.

this are reasons why I haven’t used him yet or probably will ever until a faq revaels to me a solution for that problem I’m right now facing with him.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

No not really.

If been thinking of using a Deathrunner with the crown of conquest, since he will be hart to kill by shooting at all time (-2to the Hit roles through smoke bombs (-1) and look out sir (-1)

the Problem I have with this model when he takes the crown of conquest ist that it’s ability is always activated.

so what exactly does this mean?

does it mean because both of them are using it at the same time that I’d have to remove both of them?

In the same time The artefact crown of conquest says that it is beeing carried by one (in case of the Deathrunner him and his illusion) model and every unit within 6inches of him just ignores battleshock.

its never stating of any activation to be needed, for it to work.

and that’s we’re i

I’m struggling with him.

this are reasons why I haven’t used him yet or probably will ever until a faq revaels to me a solution for that problem I’m right now facing with him.

Cant find it now, but I seem to remember there was a faq or designers notes that described that excact set up and it saying that they both have the (passive) ability but as soon as a unit ignores battleshock because of it, the artefact counts as being activated. Removing the other deathrunner. 

Edit; so you because you are given the choice where to roll for battleshock first you decide which model stays  

So annoying that I can’t find it. Might do a better search tonight. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 2

@Skreech Verminking that -2 to hit is true skaven debauchery especially on a small hero weilding an artifact. At this point I don't care what the artifact is, I just don't want them to blow up. I just want to showcase what the deathrunner can do to my friends. I just want to have fun with the unit gosh dang it. 

The simple case is both overlap a clanrat unit that got smashed. Suddenly both trigger the battleshock immune ability. Firstly, the conservative case is that this passive ability "triggers" and thus is considered being used. Secondly, technically, stacked triggers must be chosen by the active player. If read word for word, both triggers remove the other model even though the first model is removed. 

If both triggers happen simultaneously, then they just blow up as well. I'm at a standstill. Theres no way I'd bother doing it in a fun game as well, because friends of mine wont let me and call me a dirty skaven cheater (I take that as a compliment of course).

@Kramer For the love of the Great Horned One please find that source. I need something to quell my restlessness of this ruling for better or worse. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Your faith is wasted in me @Riff_Raff_Rascal... I now can’t even find the old FAQ regarding them that said both count as carrying the artefact ?

Found it 

silver quest faq.

edit: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/age_of_sigmar_silver_tower_warscrolls_errata_en.pdf

edit: the old one which was answered doesn’t exist anymore and was replaced with this one.

8C4DBA98-8D16-432F-89FB-01A54033481C.png

• Thanks 1

Hi guys!

I have an urge to play 2k skaven. Either mixed chaos or veminus.

I have 40 stormvermin, and want to use them all.
I have 100 skaven clanrats from fantasy that i could use.
I have a screaming bell.
i have a box of unbuild stormfiends
i have a warlord, a plague monk with green staff, a warlock engineer.
i think 4 rat ogres+ pack master
Unbilt verminlord set (excited to build this!!)
1 doomwheel
1 hellpit abomination

And I think that's all i have..

What list do you recomend for theese models, and what verminlord do i build?

As many idéas that you have are welcome!

1 hour ago, walheim said:

Hi guys!

I have an urge to play 2k skaven. Either mixed chaos or veminus.

I have 40 stormvermin, and want to use them all.
I have 100 skaven clanrats from fantasy that i could use.
I have a screaming bell.
i have a box of unbuild stormfiends
i have a warlord, a plague monk with green staff, a warlock engineer.
i think 4 rat ogres+ pack master
Unbilt verminlord set (excited to build this!!)
1 doomwheel
1 hellpit abomination

And I think that's all i have..

What list do you recomend for theese models, and what verminlord do i build?

As many idéas that you have are welcome!

Well what sort of direction are you most interested in going with a skaven army?

is more competitive related like tournis, events etc.

or just having fun and play after the little lore we have right now?

5 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well what sort of direction are you most interested in going with a skaven army?

is more competitive related like tournis, events etc.

or just having fun and play after the little lore we have right now?

I don't care about winning 100% of the time, i care more about having really awesome modells, and not loosing 100% of the time. I wan't to be able to join a tournament and average atleast a 50% winratio =D
And i also want stormvermins, I love the models so those are important to me.

Let’s see Her.

how about:

Heros:

Skaven Warlord:100p

1Warlock engineer:100p

any kind of Verminlord:220-300p

but would go for The warbringer since it seems like your more into verminus.

or take the corruptor for some nifty death frenzied overkilling Stormvermins.

Battleline:520p

2x 40Clanrats:400p

1x20clanrats:120p

others:790p

40Stormvermins:500p

3Stormfiends:290p

total:1900-2000p

• LOVE IT! 1

@walheim Your heart wants to play clan Verminous. I'd go with Warbringer. Recommend you play packmaster with stormfiends, you'll thank us later. A great distraction for your opponent is the hellpit abomination. It has been lots of fun for myself as a one-off choice. And if you play the packmaster, its a little extra sumpin-sumpin for your shenanigans. And your insticts I like: play all the stormvermin. Have fun.

As for building and painting I'm curious how experienced you are with starting an army. I would only recommend starting on your clanrats or stormvermin. They'll be good practice for color schemes for your larger models. The great thing about horde armies is that theres lots of small models to practice techniques on. Specifically for the stormfiends, those guys are so cool and have so much detail, I urge you to paint parts separately and not assemble everything right away. I loved how mine turned out but all those wires, tubes and armor made it frustrating when I made this mistake. 

15 minutes ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

@walheim Your heart wants to play clan Verminous. I'd go with Warbringer. Recommend you play packmaster with stormfiends, you'll thank us later. A great distraction for your opponent is the hellpit abomination. It has been lots of fun for myself as a one-off choice. And if you play the packmaster, its a little extra sumpin-sumpin for your shenanigans. And your insticts I like: play all the stormvermin. Have fun.

As for building and painting I'm curious how experienced you are with starting an army. I would only recommend starting on your clanrats or stormvermin. They'll be good practice for color schemes for your larger models. The great thing about horde armies is that theres lots of small models to practice techniques on. Specifically for the stormfiends, those guys are so cool and have so much detail, I urge you to paint parts separately and not assemble everything right away. I loved how mine turned out but all those wires, tubes and armor made it frustrating when I made this mistake. 

Here's a WIP of my stormvermin. Im almost done with the first batch of 20,just details/wood/some finishing touches left :)

also i love the look of the hellpit!

if i remeber correctly you have 400 allied points? Stormfiends eats up alot of those if i play verminus only

20181105_195442.jpg

20181105_195408.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Let’s see Her.

how about:

Heros:

Skaven Warlord:100p

1Warlock engineer:100p

any kind of Verminlord:220-300p

but would go for The warbringer since it seems like your more into verminus.

or take the corruptor for some nifty death frenzied overkilling Stormvermins.

Battleline:520p

2x 40Clanrats:400p

1x20clanrats:120p

others:790p

40Stormvermins:500p

3Stormfiends:290p

total:1900-2000p

How would you equip the stormfiends..?

@walheim Looking good on those guys. And I say clan Verminous in spirit. Dont feel like you should pigeon hole yourself with playing the allegience unless you want to have more units of stormvermin and less clanrats (which would be intimidating for an opponent). But no, I recommend mixed skaven (chaos) allegience so you can play with all the toys. Based on synergies and what you have its still clan verminous in spirti. 

Another hobby tip: I wouldn't wait to base you 25 mm bases, in fact I'd do 'em first before the model. On such a small space, you'll be spending so much time avoiding glue or bits on your finely painting stormvermin. Its much better to accidentally brush the base with that red or black afterward. I remember having a tough time getting full coverage on my bases because I couldn't effectively avoid hitting parts of the model between the legs. That said, they are a horde unit, and for tabletop play no one should care too much about the bases on 25 mm so just choose your battles on so many models. 

@Skreech Verminking Yeah if possible all the warpfire. Unfortunately you'll recall, those kits don't have enough to make more than 1 of each loadout. So clever GW, now we need to buy this person 2 more sets of stormfiends. 

Edited by Riff_Raff_Rascal
add more
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

@walheim Looking good on those guys. And I say clan Verminous in spirit. Dont feel like you should pigeon hole yourself with playing the allegience unless you want to have more units of stormvermin and less clanrats (which would be intimidating for an opponent). But no, I recommend mixed skaven (chaos) allegience so you can play with all the toys. Based on synergies and what you have its still clan verminous in spirti. 

Another hobby tip: I wouldn't wait to base you 25 mm bases, in fact I'd do 'em first before the model. On such a small space, you'll be spending so much time avoiding glue or bits on your finely painting stormvermin. Its much better to accidentally brush the base with that red or black afterward. I remember having a tough time getting full coverage on my bases because I couldn't effectively avoid hitting parts of the model between the legs. That said, they are a horde unit, and for tabletop play no one should care too much about the bases on 25 mm so just choose your battles on so many models. 

I usually base all my models before painting, even before spraying, but i have a plan for theese!

@walheim I would agree that Warpfire is generally the best, but since most of us cannot find extras, you either have to convert using warpfire thrower bits or certain 40k flamer pieces. Otherwise, I would go with Shock-Gauntlets (killing hordes\all-purpose), Grinderfists or Doomflayers (killing high armor targets\all-purpose). Basically, just never use the Wind Launchers. I'm no expert yet on Verminus, but I will say you are heading in the right direction by having 3x40 Clanrats (1 unit of 20 works too, but I have found they do mostly nothing) and 1x40 or 2x20 Stormvermin. Be sure to give us an update.

On another note, excited to finally get my holiday wish list together. I just bought a house so may have to wait until tax season unfortunately. Battle reports with this list soon to come.

Skaven Warlord on Brood Horror (220)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Arch Warlock (140)
Verminlord Deceiver (300)
Warpgnaw Verminlord (320)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Stormvermin (280)
- Halberd & Shield
1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (80)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000

General idea is that the Grinder team tunnels up Clanrats somewhere and the Warpgnaw Verminlord follows up with the Stormvermin unit to support. The Deceiver teleports the Warlord close to these units to provide CoC support and extra attacks. Arch Warlock will attempt to stay near the other 2 Clanrat units for objective grabbing and throwing out IP when needed. Cogs will give that extra edge on getting the deepstriking units into combat.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Gwendar said:

@walheim I would agree that Warpfire is generally the best, but since most of us cannot find extras, you either have to convert using warpfire thrower bits or certain 40k flamer pieces. Otherwise, I would go with Shock-Gauntlets (killing hordes\all-purpose), Grinderfists or Doomflayers (killing high armor targets\all-purpose). Basically, just never use the Wind Launchers. I'm no expert yet on Verminus, but I will say you are heading in the right direction by having 3x40 Clanrats (1 unit of 20 works too, but I have found they do mostly nothing) and 1x40 or 2x20 Stormvermin. Be sure to give us an update.

On another note, excited to finally get my holiday wish list together. I just bought a house so may have to wait until tax season unfortunately. Battle reports with this list soon to come.

Skaven Warlord on Brood Horror (220)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Arch Warlock (140)
Verminlord Deceiver (300)
Warpgnaw Verminlord (320)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Stormvermin (280)
- Halberd & Shield
1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (80)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000

General idea is that the Grinder team tunnels up Clanrats somewhere and the Warpgnaw Verminlord follows up with the Stormvermin unit to support. The Deceiver teleports the Warlord close to these units to provide CoC support and extra attacks. Arch Warlock will attempt to stay near the other 2 Clanrat units for objective grabbing and throwing out IP when needed. Cogs will give that extra edge on getting the deepstriking units into combat.

I'm thinking 2x40 clanrats and 1x20

Is both a warplock engineer and plague priest with staff important? Or could i go with only one of them?

What's the deal with going HOARD O' SWOARDS, instead of spears?

Enlighten me!

29 minutes ago, walheim said:

I'm thinking 2x40 clanrats and 1x20

Is both a warplock engineer and plague priest with staff important? Or could i go with only one of them?

What's the deal with going HOARD O' SWOARDS, instead of spears?

Enlighten me!

Well clanrats with spears only hit on 5s

in unit of 40 they’ll hit on 4s with them.

which makes swords rather better if your taking smaller units of 20.

the warlock egineer isn’t really a thing you need in your army, but having a plague priest is definitely something you might reconside.

his most powerful prayer which will weaken the enemeny and give all your units when attacking the chosen units plus1 to wound is immensely strong.

same goes with his book whith which all your units will have a chance of rerolling every failed wound roll against the targeted unit.

this is huge when there is like nagash or any other big monster you want to kill-slay as soon as possible.

• Like 1