AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

@Mayple yeah I agree with the lack of basic lone breaking power in a horde. But I have found storm vermin to costly and easy to bring deal with for a lot of armies. Although I do want to experiment with them more.

Absolutely right with the retreat and move round tactics winning games. Actually found that against players who know this tactic is coming it's quite hard for them to stop but when I get time to do the follow up post I will go into this kinda thing.

Intresting points on splitting the units, the gutter runners do look like they may benifit from being 2 units. The censer bearers I am not sure if I would as I like the size to pack some damage serious damage as a whole unit who attack at the same time. Good suggestions though and will give them a shot.

Bringing this to a 1-day tournament next weekend. Any thoughts? :)

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Verminlord Deceiver (300)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest 
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)
Arch Warlock (140)
Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear  & Clanshields  
- Balechimers, Standard bearer  
20 x Clanrats (120)
20 x Clanrats (120)
Units
20 x Gutter Runners (200)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
3 x Stormfiends (290)
Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 193

1 hour ago, Pompe said:

Leaders
- General
Arch Warlock (140)
Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
20 x Clanrats (120)
20 x Clanrats (120)
Units
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
3 x Stormfiends (290)

Good luck ???.

seems interesting your list 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pompe said:

Leaders
- General
Arch Warlock (140)
Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
20 x Clanrats (120)
20 x Clanrats (120)
Units
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
3 x Stormfiends (290)

Crown of Conquest on the Arch-Warlock instead will ensure it sticks around much longer, is better positioned, and enables the warpseer to utilize his high movement to go where he wants to go, rather than being locked down by staying in optimal battleshock immunity range. 

You could consider the warpseer as general instead if you intend to use the deceiver offensively, but that's entirely up to your preference ;) Both of those options are good, but cunning deceiver is more valuable the longer it remains in play.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pompe said:

Leaders
- General
Arch Warlock (140)
Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
20 x Clanrats (120)
20 x Clanrats (120)
Units
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
3 x Stormfiends (290)

Crown of Conquest on the Arch-Warlock instead will ensure it sticks around much longer, is better positioned, and enables the warpseer to utilize his high movement to go where he wants to go, rather than being locked down by staying in optimal battleshock immunity range. 

You could consider the warpseer as general instead if you intend to use the deceiver offensively, but that's entirely up to your preference ;) Both of those options are good, but cunning deceiver is more valuable the longer it remains in play.

Thanks for the input! The reason I didnt give it to the arch warlock is that I want to be able to scitter leap him offensively to tie up big blobs, get the cheeky d3 MW from his shooting attack in or capture objectives. He's a lot easier to get where you want him with his small base.

Currently I'm looking at the Grey Seer and also considering not taking the storm fiends.

6 hours ago, Pompe said:

Thanks for the input! The reason I didnt give it to the arch warlock is that I want to be able to scitter leap him offensively to tie up big blobs, get the cheeky d3 MW from his shooting attack in or capture objectives. He's a lot easier to get where you want him with his small base.

Currently I'm looking at the Grey Seer and also considering not taking the storm fiends.

He'll be a -lot- more valuable to you supporting your lines than deepstriking him. He's the tankiest hero available to skaven, and equipped with the best artifact available to chaos, he's a huge problem for the enemy. They're pretty much forced to get into his spell range and warpfire thrower range if they want to deal with him :)

He is not worth the points as a deepstriker. But of course, feel free to try it out however you want, just remember that your units are very easy to remove without battleshock immunity, and whoever holds the crown is not only a huge target, but also forced to walk up the field alongside the other units.

4 minutes ago, Pompe said:

Hehe, the arch warlock got roasted twice turn 1 last tournament. Once by a thundertusk and once by a VLoZD, since then I really prefer to have my artefacts on chars with more than 6 wounds.  No matter their save :)

Same with my warlord.

died turn 2.

posterthings hitting on 2s normally is rather painful for your hero’s.

probably be taking a Verminlord deceiver, a warlord on brood horror (since this guy heals d3wounds per turn and has 8wounds) or for a cheaper option Deathrunner.

the -1to hit which is detachable with the look out sir will hopfully keep him more alive.

Hi, I'm reviving the horde for a special event at my local shop. It is a 1500pts multiplayer event in which an artifact pops on the map and has to be taken by heroes. The artifact gives once per battle a huge movement boost. It can stolen on the dead body of the bearer.

Here is the list I'm considering:

- arch warlock - chaos talisman

- skaven assassin

- screaming bell general - cunning deceiver

- 1 warp grinder

- 40 clanrats

- 40 clanrats

- 20 clanrats

- 2* warp lightning cannons

General idea is to secure the artifact with hordes of clanrats (killing the bearer with cannons if the artifact has been taken already). Once the artifact is surrounded by clanrats:

- the arch-warlock drills his way in the center of the horde to steal it (very "eight lamentations"-like!)

- the skaven assassin pops in the center of the horde too

- the screaming bell rings (very " vermintide"-like) as many times as needed (I've got 2 extra CP so 3 stacked per turn) so that the whole horde can converge to either roadblock the opponents or thicken the bodyguard horde

Still hesitating between keeping a 40 pack or dropping tob20 to take an extra grinder (for the 40 clanrats). But I'm not sure its wise to steal the artifact in the first turn. Let them kill one another first...

Anyway, it looks like a fun event :)

If you have any alternative strategy, I'm all ears..

Cheers

45 minutes ago, Num said:

Hi, I'm reviving the horde for a special event at my local shop. It is a 1500pts multiplayer event in which an artifact pops on the map and has to be taken by heroes. The artifact gives once per battle a huge movement boost. It can stolen on the dead body of the bearer.

Here is the list I'm considering:

- arch warlock - chaos talisman

- skaven assassin

- screaming bell general - cunning deceiver

- 1 warp grinder

- 40 clanrats

- 40 clanrats

- 20 clanrats

- 2* warp lightning cannons

General idea is to secure the artifact with hordes of clanrats (killing the bearer with cannons if the artifact has been taken already). Once the artifact is surrounded by clanrats:

- the arch-warlock drills his way in the center of the horde to steal it (very "eight lamentations"-like!)

- the skaven assassin pops in the center of the horde too

- the screaming bell rings (very " vermintide"-like) as many times as needed (I've got 2 extra CP so 3 stacked per turn) so that the whole horde can converge to either roadblock the opponents or thicken the bodyguard horde

Still hesitating between keeping a 40 pack or dropping tob20 to take an extra grinder (for the 40 clanrats). But I'm not sure its wise to steal the artifact in the first turn. Let them kill one another first...

Anyway, it looks like a fun event :)

If you have any alternative strategy, I'm all ears..

Cheers

Sounds like a really fun event. But you really sould look up Night Runners! That run move ahead of game start will almost certainly secure you the artifact even before the game starts. If your lucky your 13" into the board at the end of deployment.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pompe said:

Sounds like a really fun event. But you really sould look up Night Runners! That run move ahead of game start will almost certainly secure you the artifact even before the game starts. If your lucky your 13" into the board at the end of deployment.

I wish I had some :( Ibdont have a verminlord deceiver either, it would have been nice.
This night runner strategy would have been insane, 7"+1d6 at deployment, and then triple bell 10"+1d6, plus the grinders popping. I'm not sure I would have been able to keep the artifact until the end though, as all the other players would be onto me...

Lets see how this cunning strategy plays out. I see no reason why it would fail - besides treason. It is very cunning. I just have to seize the artifact with my masterful drilling engine once my faithful servants have secured it. Perfectly calculated and wise. The opponents will not be wise enough to see it coming, pity them. *evil laugh*

(That's how the warlock sees it... From experience, I just think that the rats will die in buckets or flee, the warlock will never pop due to poor grinder rolls, the cannons will deal only a few MW, and the bell will cripple itself meanwhile)

Edited by Num

so hope you guys liked my first analysis post, here I am back with part 2 or the list breakdown.

Clanrats

So my list (and any self respecting verminous list imo) has a lot of clanrats, x4 units of 40 to be exact. These guys are the there to form the basis of any of my plans and tactics. 

I have opted for them to be all armed with hand weapons as I prefer the consistent damage output as opposed to the 1 turn of extra attacks. I say one turn of extra attacks because once you have lost a few guys you start to lose the benefit of the spear completely and still suffer from the -1 to hit.

These guys are the most tactically flexible unit in my army as they can give you a lot of board control options with their retreat 'n' charge and +2 on the run/ retreat distance means they can get where you want them pretty quickly. With this in mind I have recently developed a tactic with these guys to counter elite high damage output units.

trick 1

If you take a unit of say 10 Blight nights, who have potential for considerable damage output vs clanrats (Using this as an example as it came up in one of my recent games) and you charge them at either end of their line you opponent will be unable to pile in with the unit to get more that 2 guys attacks. This is because they will need to pile in towards the closest enemy model, but doing so will break their coherency and now means would cost them half a unit of blight knights. 

The easiest way to do this is with 2 units (luckily we tend to have more than our opponent) and you do not need to even be engaged at both ends, although it makes it easier to pin the unit down. Also multiple clanrat units can do this to multiple enemy units meaning you can tie up the whole enemy army in positions that blunt their damage output.

This tactic can be done with any unit really but the bonus with clanrats is that you an continually retreat and charge to make sure this lines up correctly even if you got charged first.

The Clanrats best ability is the retreat and charge, I think most players who have used them effectively will probably have worked out the following trick but I thought I would include it anyway as I may do some things a bit differently.

trick 2

So you have an objective on the other side of an enemy you want to get to? enemy unit in the way? no problem. If are engaged or engaged with an enemy unit and need to get past you have an 8" retreat move to get away round the back of the enemy. Remember each model can take what ever route it wants as long as the end within 1" of each other its fine so running round both sides of an enemy is viable. 

Once you have gotten away round the enemy you can either run to the objective or charge an enemy unit (lone wizards/warmachine for example) to then cover even greater distances. Command points can help with both of these. Also on a side note if you want to keep an enemy pinned down, a run move wont get you to the objective or you have not been able to get round the enemy because of the 3", you can re-charge the unit you are were in combat with an use the charge move to get yourself closer to the objective. This works better the bigger your unit as you can cover more distance.

this trick always works better the closer you are to a gap or an edge of a unit to break round. Harder to do against large model count armies but things like the PWG  help and often clanrats can take on other hordes pretty well in my experience.

just to add clanrats their damage output can be really good through sheer weight of attack although anything with a good save with dramatically reduce their effectiveness. So I tend to assume a defensive strategy of damage limitation after the first round of combat hence some of the tricks I have employed. 

Poison wind Mortars

Right PWM are one of the best and equally worst things in my army from experience. There will be games where they do ****** all and I am considering dropping them and then they will have a game where they decimate my opponent.

As I mentioned in my last post one of the advantages of these guys comes from the fact that I can drop these early in deployment to see what my opponents doing and the lack of required line of sight and long range means they will still be able to shoot their targets.

I like taking 4 of these guys for the simple reason it mean 1 of them should hit a wound each turn on average as well. But almost the nice thing is you will have a turn where more will hit and suddenly the damage output becomes scary for your opponent (especially hordes)

While these guys are pretty versatile, killing big unit is where they shine. Improved to hit and a flat damage 6 out put means if 2 hit you will be taking large chunks out of enemy units. I have had games where the have kill 12+ plague bearers/skellies and more in 1 turn then caused even more to run away. I will always pretty much focus fire these guys to cause as much battle shock damage as possible on the big hordes.

If there aren't any big unit to shoot the reliability becomes much lower but I tend to actually find targeting big heroes or monsters can go quite well. One lucky hit roll that ends up in 5/6 wounds can make these guys hit a lot less or vulnerable. when shooting non-hordes hope for the best expect the worst is my motto with these guys though.

Another thing I have found myself doing with them late game is using them as a road bump or blocking moves. This works as they are cheap enough and expendable (like everything ? ) that I don't mind them dying. Also can use them as a unit for trick 1 to pin enemy units.

Plague Monks

So these guys are kinda just here to pack a little bit of punch in sheer volume of attacks, and the ability for rend or mortal wounds can be quite handy. Often deployed begin my clanrats I will use these guys mid game to charge in and support any weaknesses. 

Also I always go for dual blades as fielding them in small units means the extra range is rarely used, in addition how I sometimes use PCB (see trick 3)

I have found the plague monks good at taking on monsters as the high number of attack in a small numbers and potential for rending/mortal wounds even when they die can help to bring these guys down. Even better if you use the scroll.

Never expect these guys to survive the game, they are there to make the PCB better and to try and hurt something.

Plague Censer Bearers

The more I use these guys the more I appreciate their potential for damage output. Although the need to be within 13" of the plague monks at all time to be worth it. 

I will throw them in against anything I need to kill and always use them first in combat if they can be hit back. putting out up to 30 attack with re-rolls to hit while at rend -1 can hurt most things. They will then die next turn but who cares really, they are cheap.

Trick 3

Another trick for you guys here especially if you can reliably get the charge. Deploy these guys in behind or in the middle of you other units so they are the 3 rank deep. This means that so long as you opponent doesn't have 2" range weapons then will be free to attack without fear of being hit back. may have to sacrifice the extra attack on the charge but adds some nice punch to clanrats or plague monks.

I have been tempted to play around with the idea of putting more of these guys in my list to replicate trick 3 across several units to add some punch. Coming up with what to drop is the hard part.  (also will now test them in smaller units as well ? )

Gutter Runners

Consistently the unit that seemingly never does anything in my army before dying. they do however fulfil a good distraction roll and can put pressure on opponent objectives early on. Capable of taking down supporting characters they have their uses but cant be relied upon in this role and seem to run at first chance. Splitting these guys into smaller unit is definitely on my agenda now as they are best as distraction and 2 distraction are better than 1.

Warlock Engineer/Grey seeer/Warlord

The seer and the Warlock provides me with a nice bit of mortal wound output and is great at scaring those monsters/heroes or hordes respectively and give an bit of resitence to magic. 

The grey seer is the general and has cunning deceiver so he can stay far back trying to get command points while still being useful via spells and command abilities.

The Warlord and that of all of my heroes though is to give enough coverage to , crown of command, inspire presence or other command abilities when need to. Keeping them behind you lines and away from harm is the most important part of your turns, as once you start running away keeping/claiming those objectives makes it much harder.

Trick 4

Not so much a trick to be honest in game more list building but giving the warlord the artefact now means I have an additional model for claiming objectives in games that require a wizard or model with an artefact. I take him with clan shield as well seeing to make him as survivable as possible. If he does get stuck in combat remember to attack with him first for the chance to get out of there before he get killed.

Verminlord Warbringer

This Guy dies a lot, but that's because he looks big and scary, and to be honest he is. One of the only things in my army that really puts out that much damage on his own he can take most things on the charge. While may have some rend though its not amazing so can struggle vs really good amour. 

His command ability in the army can make 2 units of clanrats horrifically good, however I would still advise you save points unless you have excess for inspiring presence. Death frenzy can be quite a useful spell as well if you know a unit is going to take a charge from something scary and gives you flexability in choosing order of units to strike.

Trick 5

Cast death frenzy on the Verminlord warbringer, charge him into something scary. Attack deal some damage, get killed, kill the thing back. Sometimes even doing this puts people off attacking him as facing another round of attacks from him is scary.

Despite his power output this guy can be pretty good in support fulfilling a role like the other hero's but also will attract a lot of attention, attention than not being directed at the rest of your army so don't be surprised if he goes down quick. If the latter is the case see if he can take as much down with him as possible before he does, hence trick 5 being handy.

Right I don't think I have missed anything in my army. Hope you guys appreciate my analysis and if you have any questions or think I am wrong let me know makes it feel like spending the time typing this was worth it ? Also if you want my opinions on anything else let me know, I may do a army in practice in a battle with pics analysis if I can get round to it as well if you guys want to see everything I talk about in this post and the last in actual practice.

Edited by AliKing
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 10/22/2018 at 7:19 AM, Mayple said:

I run a Warpseer and Arch Warlock in most of my games. I find the Warpseer is more survivable due to his re-roll saves ability. Also his bigger base size makes the Crown better.

1 hour ago, bitchparty said:

I run a Warpseer and Arch Warlock in most of my games. I find the Warpseer is more survivable due to his re-roll saves ability. Also his bigger base size makes the Crown better.

Depends what you're playing against, but a 3+ save, access to look out sir, and ability to hide behind terrain makes the arch-warlock notably more survivable than the massive Warpseer. Exceptions being against heavy spellcasters where saves and minus modifiers to hit doesn't count, although you should still be able to hide the arch-warlock with little difficulty. 

The look-out-sir on the arch-warlock is what ends up putting him above the Warpseer in toughness. Assuming he's even visible enough to get shot at, or horned rat forbid, charged ?

If the arch-warlock is poorly positioned then he'll die like the rest, but so will the warpseer. 

There's also the important distinction that an arch-warlock really thrives in the middle of a clanrat swarm, while a warpseer will actively sabotage his own movement in a similar position.

11 hours ago, Mayple said:

Depends what you're playing against, but a 3+ save, access to look out sir, and ability to hide behind terrain makes the arch-warlock notably more survivable than the massive Warpseer. Exceptions being against heavy spellcasters where saves and minus modifiers to hit doesn't count, although you should still be able to hide the arch-warlock with little difficulty. 

The look-out-sir on the arch-warlock is what ends up putting him above the Warpseer in toughness. Assuming he's even visible enough to get shot at, or horned rat forbid, charged ?

If the arch-warlock is poorly positioned then he'll die like the rest, but so will the warpseer. 

There's also the important distinction that an arch-warlock really thrives in the middle of a clanrat swarm, while a warpseer will actively sabotage his own movement in a similar position.

Those are great points. I tend to pop my Arch Warlock on a Balewind, which makes him less hide-able/maneuverable 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bitchparty said:

Those are great points. I tend to pop my Arch Warlock on a Balewind, which makes him less hide-able/maneuverable 

Ah. Well that pretty much negates the reason for handing him the crown :P So, by all means continue to use it on the warpseer instead.

Edited by Mayple

Hey all, so I've been playing khorne daemons for a while and thought the rats needed some love, so made this list, any advice?

Heroes:

Verminlord corrupter-220 (general, dark avenger, sword of judgement)

Warlord-100

Packmaster-60

Packmaster-60

Chieftain w/ standard- 140

Units:

20 Clanrats-120

20 Clanrats-120

20 Clanrats-120

6 rat ogors-300

40 stormvermin- 500

Hell pit- 220

Burning head-40

The plan is to buff the stormvermin- with the verminlord, warlord, burning head and chief. Also whip either the abomination or rat ogor's with the packmasters. 

Any advice?

Edited by will pollock

1 hour ago, will pollock said:

Hey all, so I've been playing khorne daemons for a while and thought the rats needed some love, so made this list, any advice?

Heroes:

Verminlord corrupter-220 (general, dark avenger, sword of judgement)

Warlord-100

Packmaster-60

Packmaster-60

Chieftain w/ standard- 140

Units:

20 Clanrats-120

20 Clanrats-120

20 Clanrats-120

6 rat ogors-300

40 stormvermin- 500

Hell pit- 220

Burning head-40

The plan is to buff the stormvermin- with the verminlord, warlord, burning head and chief. Also whip either the abomination or rat ogor's with the packmasters. 

Any advice?

Very cunning plan you have hier, yes-yes 

just take someone else  then the chieftain with the banner.

his  rules have changed, in such a way that he is useless.

his banner now only does a mortal wound to a enemy unit which is within 10inches on a roll of 4or more.

he doesn’t give any reroll of 1s to hit for any skaven units and the immunity of battleshock is also lost for him which is rather sad.

if I would be you I’d just exchange him for some weapon teams or for an Arch warlock

Edited by Skreech Verminking

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Very cunning plan you have hier, yes-yes 

just take someone else  then the chieftain with the banner.

his  rules have changed, in such a way that he is useless.

his banner now only does a mortal wound to a enemy unit which is within 10inches on a roll of 4or more.

he doesn’t give any reroll of 1s to hit for any skaven units and the immunity of battleshock is also lost for him which is rather sad.

if I would be you I’d just exchange him for some weapon teams or for an Arch warlock

well that sucks (cough cough, i mean, traitorous pup, kill-rip-tear we must, yes-yes)

would you say am arch warlock, two warpfire throwers, or another two rat ogors and drop the burning head for making one of the clanrat units a 40 rat squad?

27 minutes ago, will pollock said:

well that sucks (cough cough, i mean, traitorous pup, kill-rip-tear we must, yes-yes)

would you say am arch warlock, two warpfire throwers, or another two rat ogors and drop the burning head for making one of the clanrat units a 40 rat squad?

Well depends.

If you know that your facing mostly an army which doesn’t owns to many shooty units 2warpfire throwers wouldn’t be that bad, especially if your facing against stormcast or other heavy armoured factions.

in any other cases I would stick with the Arch warlock, since he will do a massive job in obliterating multiple units with his magic.

and his Armour is also a very hard nutt to crack open, 3+save and a -1to hit him in the shooting phase, oh this guy is near unstoppable.

the burning head idea with the reroll 1to hit for unit’s wholly within range is definitely a combination that should be tried out, although, it being a predatory endless spell will mean that your opponent may get the chance to move Literally out of range and could do some damage against your own hero’s?.

not really what you want.

and a upgrading one of your units of clanrats to 40 might not be a bad decision either.

if you have the points left over, I would definitely fill them up to the prime.

afterall no skaven army is complete without any or too many clanrats.

Edit: anyways hope this’ll help you a bit.

And.....

Kill-slay for Skreech,

Manthing and Posterthings shall pay-Die,

take-steal City burrows,

Yes-yes 

Gloooooooooory to Mors

Edited by Skreech Verminking

18 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well depends.

If you know that your facing mostly an army which doesn’t owns to many shooty units 2warpfire throwers wouldn’t be that bad, especially if your facing against stormcast or other heavy armoured factions.

in any other cases I would stick with the Arch warlock, since he will do a massive job in obliterating multiple units with his magic.

and his Armour is also a very hard nutt to crack open, 3+save and a -1to hit him in the shooting phase, oh this guy is near unstoppable.

the burning head idea with the reroll 1to hit for unit’s wholly within range is definitely a combination that should be tried out, although, it being a predatory endless spell will mean that your opponent may get the chance to move Literally out of range and could do some damage against your own hero’s?.

not really what you want.

and a upgrading one of your units of clanrats to 40 might not be a bad decision either.

if you have the points left over, I would definitely fill them up to the prime.

afterall no skaven army is complete without any or too many clanrats.

Edit: anyways hope this’ll help you a bit.

And.....

Kill-slay for Skreech,

Manthing and Posterthings shall pay-Die,

take-steal City burrows,

Yes-yes 

Gloooooooooory to Mors

thanks for the advice oh verminous one. this will be taken into account in the next battle yes-yes

i think ill go for more rat ogors and clanrats and drop the burning head.

the survivors of clan rikek will rise to glory once more yes-yes, kill-maim nagash and his puppet things for his treachery yes-yes.

glory to the council

• Like 1