AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 8/18/2018 at 7:29 PM, Mayple said:

That's Tretch Craventail. A very high-ranking warlord of clan Rictus in the old world :) Also featured in the new Total War: Warhammer 2 game if you want to see him in action.

He is a warlord, but I'm sure you could easily run him as an assassin as well. I'll leave that to your personal preference ;)

Tangentially related, but I think I was one of the few people who was actually thrilled to get him as a Legendary Lord.  I get why others weren't, but I have always liked his character.

• Like 1

I just saw an awesome conversion of Warg riders (lord of the rings) with clanrats upper bodies... There seems to be so much conversion potential from the warg riders (spiteclaw, clanrats, sorcerer lord, etc...) for a mounted skaven army! Plus wargs are not that expensive (4€ per model).

99121499012_WargRidersNEW01.jpg

99061462036_WildWargChieftainNEW01.jpg

The only problem is: what to use them as?

Wolf rats from forgeworld are obvious choices, but what do you think of the stats? They look just worse than gutter runners, but could their 12" move compensate for some objective grabbing? (Plus it would look awesome on the battlefield)

Otherwise just using them for heroes and some elite units (warlords, priests, packmasters, plague censers...)?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the conversion here. I hope the person who did it don't mind. I find it so good it is worth sharing here :)

40183387_10160786167395029_1755700901672

• Like 4

So me and a friend on the r/AoS Discord have been tinkering with Skaven lists and I've found some key truths that seem to hold true. 

>Plague Monks outshine Clanrats point for point, and are really nice as a melee horde

>Double WLC is nearly mandatory for hero sniping, and ignores to-hit penalties

>Minimum 20/20/20 Clanrats is fine and possibly even better than hording them

>Balewind Arch Warlock is disgusting 

>Corruptor is best Verminlord unless running more than minimum Clanrats 

>Warpflame Teams and Ratling Gun Teams are your go-to weapon teams. Ratlings are just decent all-rounder damage and Warpflame is easy access to mortal wounds. Park em behind your hordes. 

>Plague Priests are largely underrated support heroes and are cheap at 80pts 

>Grey Seers with Cunning Deceiver are almost necessary to avoid battleshock ruining your game completely

All that being said, I've come up with a (planned) list that combines a lot of this and I think it'll do very well. 

Allegiance: Chaos

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Arch Warlock (140)

- General

- Trait: Cunning Deceiver

Verminlord Corruptor (220)

Grey Seer (100)

- Artefact: Crown of Conquest

20 x Clanrats (120)

- Rusty Spear

20 x Clanrats (120)

- Rusty Spear

20 x Clanrats (120)

- Rusty Spear

1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team(70)

1 x Ratling Gun Weapon Team (80) [or a Plague Priest, depending on mission] 

40 x Plague Monks (240)

- Woe-stave

40 x Plague Monks (240)

- Woe-stave

Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Balewind Vortex (40)

Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 0

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 184

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

So me and a friend on the r/AoS Discord have been tinkering with Skaven lists and I've found some key truths that seem to hold true. 

>Plague Monks outshine Clanrats point for point, and are really nice as a melee horde

>Double WLC is nearly mandatory for hero sniping, and ignores to-hit penalties

>Minimum 20/20/20 Clanrats is fine and possibly even better than hording them

>Balewind Arch Warlock is disgusting 

>Corruptor is best Verminlord unless running more than minimum Clanrats 

>Warpflame Teams and Ratling Gun Teams are your go-to weapon teams. Ratlings are just decent all-rounder damage and Warpflame is easy access to mortal wounds. Park em behind your hordes. 

>Plague Priests are largely underrated support heroes and are cheap at 80pts 

>Grey Seers with Cunning Deceiver are almost necessary to avoid battleshock ruining your game completely

All that being said, I've come up with a (planned) list that combines a lot of this and I think it'll do very well. 

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Arch Warlock (140)

- General

Grey Seer (100)

20 x Clanrats (120)

- Rusty Spear

20 x Clanrats (120)

- Rusty Spear

20 x Clanrats (120)

- Rusty Spear

1 x Ratling Gun Weapon Team (80) [or a Plague Priest, depending on mission] 

40 x Plague Monks (240)

- Woe-stave

40 x Plague Monks (240)

- Woe-stave

Balewind Vortex (40)

Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 0

Wounds: 184

I'd have to disagree about clanrats. 2inch range means just as many attacks and with 30+ bodies they get +1 to hit and wound. That combined with plague preist and corruptor buffs they are sending out a LOT of wounds and more reliably. Their ability to flee and charge in the same turn has won me several games as well. They also have a save and it's +1 against 1damage attacks like shooting. I've tried running them below max but they just get swiped aside too easily and they lose their horde buff upon getting a single wound. Running minimum for battleline tax is also a problem because 360 points is lot for units that will not really help you in any way other than sitting on a backline objective or holding something up for a turn.

I agree with most of the other things.

Love me some arch warlock on a balewind, but I'm not sure it's needed for this list. His unique spell is good but already has good range and cogs doesn't need to get thrown out far. I usually run him with pendulum to get it deep into enemy turf. You'd probably be better served by an extra command point for inspiring presence or a charge reroll.

Edited by Verminlord
Typos
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

I'd have to disagree about clanrats. 2inch range means just as many attacks and with 30+ bodies they get +1 to hit and wound. That combined with plague preist and corruptor buffs they are sending out a LOT of wounds and more reliably. Their ability to flee and charge in the same turn has won me several games as well. They also have a save and it's +1 against 1damage attacks like shooting. I've tried running them below max but they just get swiped aside too easily and they lose their horde buff upon getting a single wound. 

I agree with most of the other things.

Love me some arch warlock on a balewind, but I'm not sure it's needed for this list. His unique spell is good but already has good range and cogs doesn't need to get thrown out far. I usually run him with pendulum to get it deep into enemy turf. You'd probably be better served by an extra command point for inspiring presence or a charge reroll.

That's fair, on the Clanrats. I've never really had them win game for me so they seem lackluster. Makes me wonder if I should just run one pack of monks, and up the Clanrat count. I think they probably both have their uses in an army. Monks seem more like a shock troop, Clanrats more like a rank-and-file. You can shove monks at the scary stuff and actually have rend  and mortal output. Clanrats don't have access to any of that. 

I'd be lying if I said a lot of the reason is that I hate painting these Clanrats lol. So many tiny fiddly details. 

51 minutes ago, RaritanAnon said:

That's fair, on the Clanrats. I've never really had them win game for me so they seem lackluster. Makes me wonder if I should just run one pack of monks, and up the Clanrat count. I think they probably both have their uses in an army. Monks seem more like a shock troop, Clanrats more like a rank-and-file. You can shove monks at the scary stuff and actually have rend  and mortal output. Clanrats don't have access to any of that. 

I'd be lying if I said a lot of the reason is that I hate painting these Clanrats lol. So many tiny fiddly details. 

I have had a brayherd army pretty much implode on a brick of 40 clan rats. It just comes down to the support you put on them. In my case I had gnaw-gnaw, inspiring presence, and death frenzy up.  2 attacks, on 3+/3+, and when they die getting to pile in and attack again can deal a lot of wounds. 

YMMV though... as I was typically going up against low armor targets, or just tarpitting high armor ones while wearing them down with mortal wounds.

Clanrats buffed with Crown of Conquest can be really game savers. During one game I stopped Gore-Gruntas with them and didn't let them kill my general on an objective. My Clanrats didn't run away even when they were being slaughtered thanks to that artefact.  

Regarding the WLC, they seem a bit swingy to me.  Furthermore they melt away if touched and you almost get 40 rats for the price of 2 canons. However I do agree that if you bring one, you almost have to bring a second one so you have a bit of back up.

This is what Im looking at putting together, with the option of switching the plague priest for another 20 clanrats. However the ability to increase the damage output on a single target with +1 to wound as well as rereolling all wound rolls is really nice. 6 casts the army get when fighting in realms will make sure I get plenty of spells cast. The Warpseer is extremely good in a game where movement is key. His ability to delete a 6 wound hero with a 5" move or less makes SCE, Khorne and a few other linch pins easy to deal with. You could compare him to the WLC in that fashion, however he does not need LoS to take care of them and there areno dice involved. Just 6 MW. My fear, however, is that I do not have enough high rend attacks to be able to kill big monsters.

- General
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)
Arch Warlock (140)
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
3 x Stormfiends (290)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 213

Well I played a almost only clanrat army with some priests and a warlord.

they literally ganwed a mawcrusher to its bones in one turn

and killed the rest of its army at the end of turn 5.

holding objectives wasn’t a big deal, since my opponent was fighting against 320 rats (240clanrats and 80giant rats)

map yes if it comes done to who does the most damage, plague monks are definitely the winner.

but only taking sixty clanrats is just a no go mostly.

i always go for at least 120 and than take some different kind of units to my 2000p army’s.

(I really like my meatshields when there are plenty)

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well I played a almost only clanrat army with some priests and a warlord.

they literally ganwed a mawcrusher to its bones in one turn

and killed the rest of its army at the end of turn 5.

holding objectives wasn’t a big deal, since my opponent was fighting against 320 rats (240clanrats and 80giant rats)

map yes if it comes done to who does the most damage, plague monks are definitely the winner.

but only taking sixty clanrats is just a no go mostly.

i always go for at least 120 and than take some different kind of units to my 2000p army’s.

(I really like my meatshields when there are plenty)

See, that's fine. Because maxing out on Clanrats and other Verminus+Warbringer is a valid strat. I'd reckon that in the scheme of things, Plague Monks are offensively minded and Clanrats are defensively minded. As much as Skaven can be, at least. 

I'm actually considering delving into Pestilens a bit because the prospect of painting monks is more appealing than painting more Clanrats. No one told me how detailed these little buggers were gonna be...

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

my opponent was fighting against 320 rats (240clanrats and 80giant rats)

The thought of moving that many things around gives me anxiety, especially when I can't even stand moving my 126 model strong Eshin army around the table.

I would love to get a real swarm going with Verminus, especially since it seems so many people are having pretty good luck with mixed Skaven as of 2.0, but man, that's a huge deterrent. Congrats on the victory, teleporting a priest with my deceiver to debuff a unit allows my 20 gutter runners to outright kill or severely cripple most things so I recommend a priest (even without a teleport) as often as possible.

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

The thought of moving that many things around gives me anxiety, especially when I can't even stand moving my 126 model strong Eshin army around the table.

I would love to get a real swarm going with Verminus, especially since it seems so many people are having pretty good luck with mixed Skaven as of 2.0, but man, that's a huge deterrent. Congrats on the victory, teleporting a priest with my deceiver to debuff a unit allows my 20 gutter runners to outright kill or severely cripple most things so I recommend a priest (even without a teleport) as often as possible.

I honestly think plague preists are undercosted. I'd happily pay 100 points for one. Hopefully they stay at 80 though. ?

What do you guys think about the viability of Clan Moulder? I've been trying to come up with a list that works, but they really need a battalion or something. I would love being able to run a bunch of Ogors as battle line instead of hauling around 120 clan rats. 

Allegiance: Moulder
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Packmaster (60)
- General
- Herding Whip & Blade 
Packmaster (60)
- Herding Whip & Blade
Packmaster (60)
- Herding Whip & Blade
Arch Warlock (140)
- Allies
- Allies
-Artefact: Spell Mirror

Battleline
4 x Rat Ogors (200)
4 x Rat Ogors (200)
4 x Rat Ogors (200)

Units
10 x Wolf Rats (200)

Behemoths
Brood Horror (160)
Brood Horror (160)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1840 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 111

Basically I threw a bunch of punchy moulder monsters together and left over a lot of points so that Warpseer can spam his command ability for objective control/screening. I wanted to fit Warpseer and two plague priests but it doesn't work out. I could do Warpseer and one plague priest, but I think the MW and better save of the Arch Warlock would be more helpful. I could also take out Wolf Rats, Pendulum and Balewind for a unit of Stormfiends. ?

Edited by Verminlord

9 hours ago, Verminlord said:

What do you guys think about the viability of Clan Moulder? I've been trying to come up with a list that works, but they really need a battalion or something. I would love being able to run a bunch of Ogors as battle line instead of hauling around 120 clan rats. 

Allegiance: Moulder
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Packmaster (60)
- General
- Herding Whip & Blade 
Packmaster (60)
- Herding Whip & Blade
Packmaster (60)
- Herding Whip & Blade
Arch Warlock (140)
- Allies
- Allies
-Artefact: Spell Mirror

Battleline
4 x Rat Ogors (200)
4 x Rat Ogors (200)
4 x Rat Ogors (200)

Units
10 x Wolf Rats (200)

Behemoths
Brood Horror (160)
Brood Horror (160)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1840 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 111

Basically I threw a bunch of punchy moulder monsters together and left over a lot of points so that Warpseer can spam his command ability for objective control/screening. I wanted to fit Warpseer and two plague priests but it doesn't work out. I could do Warpseer and one plague priest, but I think the MW and better save of the Arch Warlock would be more helpful. I could also take out Wolf Rats, Pendulum and Balewind for a unit of Stormfiends. ?

It looks good, just remember that rat Ogor’s have a very bad save and less wounds than a unit of 40Clanrats.

They will be slaughtered easily, if you don’t use some kind of a  unit which fits the role of meatshields perfectly.

so in other words, you should at least take a unit of 40 giant rats, to assure that your army doesn’t get whipped first or second turn.

Hey all.

After a bit more theory crafting and a few practice games I've come up with a new list that requires your feedback. The main change is splitting a 40-rat group of Clanrats to two 20-rat groups with hand weapons in lieu of an extra command point.

Skaven Warlord (100)
- Warpforged Blade & Shield
Verminlord Warbringer (280)
Screaming Bell (200)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
30 x Stormvermin (420)
- Halberd & Shield
20 x Gutter Runners (200)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 200 / 400
Wounds: 204

As always your thoughts and feedback are always appreciated.

21 hours ago, robbobobo said:

Hey all.

After a bit more theory crafting and a few practice games I've come up with a new list that requires your feedback. The main change is splitting a 40-rat group of Clanrats to two 20-rat groups with hand weapons in lieu of an extra command point.

Skaven Warlord (100)
- Warpforged Blade & Shield
Verminlord Warbringer (280)
Screaming Bell (200)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
30 x Stormvermin (420)
- Halberd & Shield
20 x Gutter Runners (200)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 200 / 400
Wounds: 204

As always your thoughts and feedback are always appreciated.

What's your reason for splitting up the 40 into 2 groups? If you're going to go below max I'd just do one group of 20 and add a warp grinder to hide your stormvermin. Looks decent otherwise. A lot of people don't like screaming bell because of the randomness, but it's unique spell can absolutely shred low movement heros or units. I've started to move away from crown of command because it's difficult to fit 40 rats wholly with 6''. Might be worth it to look at some other artifacts.

Edited by Verminlord
correction

1 hour ago, Verminlord said:

What's your reason for splitting up the 40 into 2 groups? If you're going to go below max I'd just do one group of 20 and add a warp grinder to hide your stormvermin. Looks decent otherwise. A lot of people don't like screaming bell because of the randomness, but it's unique spell can absolutely shred low movement heros or units. I've started to move away from crown of command because it's difficult to fit 40 rats wholly with 6''. Might be worth it to look at some other artifacts.

Wholly within??

did Gw change the rules for the crown again?

i thought it was only within “6”

What's your reason for splitting up the 40 into 2 groups?

I feel that I needed a smaller more mobile screen for some of the more important  units while being able to grab objectives if needed. Small enough to not care if they die, small enough to maneuver around and grab objectives.

I've started to move away from crown of command because it's difficult to fit 40 rats wholly with 6''. Might be worth it to look at some other artifacts.

While I agree looking at other artifacts is good, such as the Sword of Judgement from Ulgu, the CoC is not  a wholly within ability, just within 6". Checked all the FAQ's, no such change.

Edited by robbobobo

Has anyone tried the screaming bells since v2?

Stacking the command ability seems nice for a movement boost. I still don't own two models but I can definitely imagine running two in a horde list for guaranteed buffs and perhaps even a free verminlord

I'm also thinking about a moulder allegiance list now that I have 9 stormfiends, 80 giant rats, 6 rat ogors. What do you think would be the best allies ? I'm thinking a mixture of plague priests and poisoned wind mortars or acolytes. Or some wizard but I don't know which... Screaming bell perhaps for the movement boost stack aforementioned? Wolf rats could go up 14" move with two CP... Plus a bell pushed by giant rats would look quite fun... Just need to add a flute to the grey seer on top...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Num said:

Has anyone tried the screaming bells since v2?

Stacking the command ability seems nice for a movement boost. I still don't own two models but I can definitely imagine running two in a horde list for guaranteed buffs and perhaps even a free verminlord

I've always been using the Screaming Bell whenever I play. I think running it for the +1 Movement and Bravery isn't the goal, the spell is pretty good against the slower moving armies and it can be a good home for a Crown of Conquest.

4 hours ago, Num said:

I'm also thinking about a moulder allegiance list now that I have 9 stormfiends, 80 giant rats, 6 rat ogors. What do you think would be the best allies ? I'm thinking a mixture of plague priests and poisoned wind mortars or acolytes. Or some wizard but I don't know which... Screaming bell perhaps for the movement boost stack aforementioned? Wolf rats could go up 14" move with two CP... Plus a bell pushed by giant rats would look quite fun... Just need to add a flute to the grey seer on top...

A Verminlord Warpseer comes to mind to bulk up the Giant Rats and his spell is criminally underrated IMO. A Plague Priest or two won't go amiss following a rat blob because who doesn't like rerolls to wound?

Hey everyone. Sorry for the double post, but I'm here to showcase my final list for MOAB. The main changes I have made were to remove the Chronomantic Cogs and max out the Stormvermin in exchange. After playtesting I've come to either one of these thoughts as to why I'm not using the Cogs:

1) The army might look for fights and want to charge but it's not the main goal like other combat armies that need it. While a second cast of Cracks Call is funny and another Death Frenzy can be useful it doesn't feel worth it to run.

2) I'm just bad at using the Cogs and I'm completly wrong about them. The point being that I'm not confident in using them for the tournament.

Things I have considered changing in the list included adding a Warpgrinder Team to tunnel the Stormvermin to go with the Gutter Runners, exchanging the Screaming Bell and Cogs for a  Verminlord Warpseer and going back to 3x40 Clanrats with spears. The main constraint is money.

Other than that, I hope you like the list since it's locked in and, as always, love to hear your feedback.

Screenshot_20180916-135051~3.png

Edited by robbobobo
Removed name from list.
  • Like 3