AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

@Skreech Verminking All of them would definitely be better than nothing, and I would especially love to use the Eshin one for an even more mobile army. It would definitely make my Eshin army a bit stronger against certain match-ups.

I'll just continue to wait and hope we eventually get something. I want to really believe it'll be a LoN style book with a new Eshin range since they have been mentioned so heavily as of late. Pirate Skaven works too I guess.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

@Skreech Verminking All of them would definitely be better than nothing, and I would especially love to use the Eshin one for an even more mobile army. It would definitely make my Eshin army a bit stronger against certain match-ups.

I'll just continue to wait and hope we eventually get something. I want to really believe it'll be a LoN style book with a new Eshin range since they have been mentioned so heavily as of late. Pirate Skaven works too I guess.

It'll be a very long wait it seems. We are likely to see 2 more Stormcast battletomes before that comes along XD.

• Haha 2

Yeah, I know. I'm working on plenty of other armies for more and more variety so I'm not too concerned. I still play my Skryre almost exclusively for competitive/tournament play and still have fun with it, Eshin sometimes when I feel like running a horde army which is not very often.

I know that we will most likely be waiting until 2019 MINIMUM since we already know there has to be a Darkoath and a Grot release coming in the very near future along with Light/Shadow Elves at some point. Slaanesh seems to be getting something too eventually, and since the Great Horned Rat is currently taking up her seat in the pantheon....

Well, I can see something coming from that possibly.

10 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Yeah, I know. I'm working on plenty of other armies for more and more variety so I'm not too concerned. I still play my Skryre almost exclusively for competitive/tournament play and still have fun with it, Eshin sometimes when I feel like running a horde army which is not very often.

I know that we will most likely be waiting until 2019 MINIMUM since we already know there has to be a Darkoath and a Grot release coming in the very near future along with Light/Shadow Elves at some point. Slaanesh seems to be getting something too eventually, and since the Great Horned Rat is currently taking up her seat in the pantheon....

Well, I can see something coming from that possibly.

I think there is at least a 2 months gap between releases, even if 2 factions get released at the same time I guess it'll be at least 4 months before anything Skaven is probable. Personally I am kind of wondering what is taking so long for them and destruction to get an update. It has already been 2 years or so when the first details got leaked that GW was working on some new Skryre toys as well as some pestilens. We've had several smaller Skaven releases, bloodbowl and Shadespire, so it shows they are actively working on them (or I would assume they wouldn't waste time to make those kits), yet we see nothing coming along. It is almost as if they know Skaven is super popular and saving the release in case the company is having a bad financial year.

Edited by Kugane
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lost2Requiem said:

Thanks for the heads up on that, I’d given up on identifying it until you kind folks stepped in!

Also back in the first years of Age of Sigmar he had super good rules for a Verminus Clawpack list, but then we lost those rules in 2017.  Not sure if that's hurt his value as far as selling him or not..  

I've always ran my units of 40 with spears if they're run in blobs. If I string them out as a screen I use swords. Just remember how many rows you can fight in when it comes to the range and the fact they're on a 25mm and that's probably the deciding factor. 

Edited by Gwendar
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ajay29 said:

Quick noob question; spears or blades on clanrats?

Assuming always in packs of 40, the amount of attacks outweighs the worse to-hit role right?

Spears in a pack of 40 is superior to 40 sword rats in every way. This is primarily because the +1 to hit/to wound makes them pretty good in combat since they get to fight in three ranks. Doubling those attacks essentially pops them beyond the damage output of plague monks for that attack. 

However, they fall off -hard- the moment they go below 30, and are actually useless and should never be used in combat below 20. Sword rats retain their usefulness even then.

There's no "best" choice between the two in general, but my own rule of thumb tends to be; blobs of 40 = spears, blobs of 20 = swords, as long as I expect them to do any fighting :)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AliKing said:

I personally always go for swords as the better stats mean they are superior for more of the game as the numbers drop, whereas spear will only be better for 1 round of combat normally

Yeah same her.

i usually go for swords instead of spears, since that 4+ to hit can still be very bad.

i tried them out many times, and most of it, was me pulling out 2-5wounds which were mostly saved afterwards.

But than again that’s just my bad rolling.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

Hey everyone!

I am trying to write up a list to playtest and, eventually, run at an upcoming event in AUS known as the Mother of all Battles (MOAB). I have a baseline for what I want to run but I am struggling to figure out the last few kinks in the list or what to take. I know I may need some ranged options and Endless Spells are an option, so ideas and/or feedback is appreciated.

Here is the list so far:

Allegiance: Chaos
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Verminlord Warbringer (280)
Skaven Warlord (100)
- General
- Shield & War Halberd
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Skaven Warlord (100)
- Shield & Pair of Barbed Blades
Screaming Bell (200)
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
30 x Stormvermin (420)
- Halberd

Total: 1780 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 189

Edited by robbobobo
Forgot the list.

51 minutes ago, robbobobo said:

Hey everyone!

I am trying to write up a list to playtest and, eventually, run at an upcoming event in AUS known as the Mother of all Battles (MOAB). I have a baseline for what I want to run but I am struggling to figure out the last few kinks in the list or what to take. I know I may need some ranged options and Endless Spells are an option, so ideas and/or feedback is appreciated.

Here is the list so far:

Allegiance: Chaos
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Verminlord Warbringer (280)
Skaven Warlord (100)
- General
- Shield & War Halberd
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Skaven Warlord (100)
- Shield & Pair of Barbed Blades
Screaming Bell (200)
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
30 x Stormvermin (420)
- Halberd

Total: 1780 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 189

That list looks good, but if I where you I would probably exchange both Warlords on foot with on skaven warlord on Brood horror, since his gnash gnaw on their bones command ability can be used multiple times on a single unit,

as for any other units to be taken as a part of your army, I would suggest some range units like warpfire throwers or/and poisoned wind mortar teams.

But if your more interested of playing a combat army, try putting some plague monks and plague censer to your army. 

(A unit of 20Gutter runners for 200p is also rather good, since they bring in some, shooting and a nifty ability allowing them to be placed in reserve.

they are also very good in combat which makes them a reliable good and cheap option of kill- slaying any other elite troops  or hero’s)

18 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

That list looks good, but if I where you I would probably exchange both Warlords on foot with on skaven warlord on Brood horror, since his gnash gnaw on their bones command ability can be used multiple times on a single unit,

as for any other units to be taken as a part of your army, I would suggest some range units like warpfire throwers or/and poisoned wind mortar teams.

But if your more interested of playing a combat army, try putting some plague monks and plague censer to your army. 

(A unit of 20Gutter runners for 200p is also rather good, since they bring in some, shooting and a nifty ability allowing them to be placed in reserve.

they are also very good in combat which makes them a reliable good and cheap option of kill- slaying any other elite troops  or hero’s)

The Warlord on Brood Horror and Gutter Runners would round out the list to a full 2000pts, no Endless Spells but the only ones worth considering are CC and ELS I think. No extra command points but the weight of bodies makes it a worthwhile concession. Thanks for that!

Talking about stormvermin, how do they fare in AoSv2 with the new CP system (warlords, seers, verminlord, thanquol etc...).

Ive got 40 stormvermins but I boxed them ages ago because I just couldn't put them to good use on the battlefield compared to multipurpose units (cannons, skryre toys, warlocks...)

How do you use them?

Otherwise, is there something cool I could convert them in? I saw them being used a lot for 40k (adeptus mechanicus or genestealers) but I'm not sure I want to start 40k. Gutter runners perhaps?

Thanks

14 minutes ago, Num said:

Talking about stormvermin, how do they fare in AoSv2 with the new CP system (warlords, seers, verminlord, thanquol etc...).

Ive got 40 stormvermins but I boxed them ages ago because I just couldn't put them to good use on the battlefield compared to multipurpose units (cannons, skryre toys, warlocks...)

How do you use them?

Otherwise, is there something cool I could convert them in? I saw them being used a lot for 40k (adeptus mechanicus or genestealers) but I'm not sure I want to start 40k. Gutter runners perhaps?

Thanks

Well, for their, price they seem and are right now, very overcosted.

but buffing them up with the Warlords gnash gnaw and the warbrimger Tyrant of war commandability, makes them to destroyers of anything, that doesn’t have a 2+ save rerolling 1s.

ps: the only problem for them right now is the immense of shooting and magic many army’s have nowadays.

• Like 1

I agree with @Skreech Verminking.

Stormvermin will slaughter anything they touch, but have to deal with the threat of getting wiped out before they get to it. Thanquol or tunneling both work towards fixing that. If you can get a 40 rat stormvermin unit into the enemy's main lines, the game should tilt heavily in your favour.  Keyword being "if".

• Like 1

Well it still doesn't sound very convinglcing to me :( Thats 500 points to deep strike and that will probably only have one chance of paying itself back :(

Gutter runners or stormfiends seem more coat efficient for that strategy, don't they ?

22 hours ago, Num said:

Well it still doesn't sound very convinglcing to me Thats 500 points to deep strike and that will probably only have one chance of paying itself back

Gutter runners or stormfiends seem more coat efficient for that strategy, don't they ?

Yes especially if you take 3stormfiends with shock gauntlets, being whipped by 2-3packmasters.

they will usually to more damage than normal stormvermins.

and they cost less.

ive actually been play testing with the Warp Grinder/Stormvermin combo to pretty great effect. they are little murder machines and being underground keeps them safe from magic and shooting. If you really want your opponent to cry, run them with cogs so they get a solid chance at charging right out of their tunnel. Heres the list Ive been tweaking:

Grey Seer -  Aetherquartz Brooch (100)

Plague Priest - Plague Censer (80)

Plague Priest - Plague Censer (80)

Verminlord Corruptor - General - Cunning Deceiver (220)

Clanrats x40 - Spears (200)

Clanrats x40 - Spears (200)

Clanrats x40 -Spears (200)

Stormvermin x20 (280)

Warp-Grinder (80)

Warp-Grinder (80)

Warp-Lightning Cannon (180)

Warp-Lightning Cannon (180)

Total: 1880

ExtraCP: 2

Starting your first turn with 3 CP, with cunning deceiver giving extra CP on 5^ and Aetherquartz brooch giving back CP used on 5^ there is potential to always have grey seers aura up and Corruptors buff on multiple units with possible overflow for inspiring presence if needed. The list also has access to two wither debuffs and once per game reroll all missed wounds. Clanrats start to look pretty scary with all these effects.

Throw cogs in and the total comes to 1940 points +1CP, or replace a warpgrinder for cogs and another 40 point spell for 1900 +2 CP.

I like to tunnel one block of clanrats for area/objective control on the fly and have the stormvermin kill-kill whatever i think will cause the most problems, though I think 20 gutter runners are probably way more cost effective for that. I just dont want to convert 10 more of them when I already have 20 vermin painted. ?

Edited by Verminlord
changed corruptor to general