if going against chaos the blades 

if going against 200 plague monks purple sun might even be interesting 

23 hours ago, Honk said:

Cogs are always nice, whatever bloodline

shackles or palisade can roadblock one of your flanks

pedulum can spit out some mortals

if going against chaos the blades 

if going against 200 plague monks purple sun might even be interesting 

Cheers. It'll be for 500pt and 1500pt narrative games so just looking for some half decent stuff. I'll be Necromantic Bloodline as I like the casting buffs.

Hello All

I am a big fan of Death in AoS (have a bit of all the factions, a lot of all the factions actually 😂). I also have an issue in gaming where I like to play the lesser played factions (even they are though they are normally awful in comparison to others), as I find mirror matches really boring. My local meta is great, with some very talented and highly skilled competitive players who are also open to having more fun and fluffy games if you request it. I was playing pure ghosts for ages until lots of other players locally started to pick them up, so I went to FEC but then they got the new book and they became flavour of the month, so have gone back to pure ghosts as they are now struggling to find a place in the competitive meta and no one is really bothering with them and that suits me down to a tee. 

I have been working on how to make a unique looking Soulblight army, as I like my stuff to look odd and different, and have finally figured out what I am going to do to achieve this unique look, but it will be a bit of a slow burner as I get hobby ADHD (as well as regular ADHD 😂) and so flutter all over the place with projects, never finishing anything.

Now it seems glaring obvious that Legion of Blood is the more competitive choice over Soulblight, but what are the alternative things that Soulblight can do that LoB can't do? Is there something that helps to make it a more interesting choice over it's LoB counterpart? What are the must have elements to include in a Soulblight army?

Currently I have 2 x VLoZD (one can be Vhordari if needed), multi-purpose mortarch (can be Arkhan, Mannfred or Neffy), 1 x Vamp Lord on Horse, 10 x Blood Knights (converted from dark one knights, dragon knights and spite-revenants). So what other bits should I be looking to add to help round the army off?

Thanks in advance

Well @Tropical Ghost General, you've certainly come to the right place to find a rarely mentioned faction. I think it's precisely because Legion of Blood is a naturally stronger choice with focus on the exact same models that this army is something of a rarity.

Out of the bloodlines I feel Swift Death gives the strongest distinction from LoB, making everything faster and letting even your Blood Knights move as though they're flying. The army becomes really quite mobile with that, which plays well into the elite punchy style. The Mist Form command trait is also a unique feature and quite good, especially on a dragon.

I think some more Blood Knights will do you good (and will be required if you're going for 2000p), with some bats or wolves (as allies) to fill remaining points.

And speaking of odd and different... I'm using the original Blood Knights and that has made mine the ones who're unique. A bit ironic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Charlo said:

Well, the Vampires are officially started!

I love it!

...but you know that the Strigoi picked up their stuff and left to start the FEC, right? 😉

Are you planning anything in particular to theme your Blood Knights around? For your style I wish that we still had Vargheists as battleline...

5 minutes ago, TMS said:

I love it!

...but you know that the Strigoi picked up their stuff and left to start the FEC, right? 😉

Are you planning anything in particular to theme your Blood Knights around? For your style I wish that we still had Vargheists as battleline...

Thanks! I mean, I'm sure not *all* of them did... And it's a "Winged Horror"! I'm basically counting his fluff as a Vargheist with more control of his being, hence using weapons. I wanted to change the head but am stretched for time and couldn't find something suitable for now.

The general theme is that all my Vampires are elves (with a bit of influence from Warcraft Death Knights). Going to use the hooded wanderer heads on Dragon Princes with some of the resin death upgrade bits. I guess for this guy he needs some bigger ears... Maybe some ragged long hair...

1 hour ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

what are the alternative things that Soulblight can do that LoB can't do?

Since wolves are totally imba, Soulblight are tricky to pull off and imo always a bit weaker than LoB. And less versatile also

But with a bit of effort, you can make them work quite nicely. Played that list a while ago:

mannfred, coven throne, 2 vampires, 5/5/5 knights and 6 vargheist... that was quite nice against nurgle blightkings (no rend). The CAs rerolling 1s was fantastic, even mannfred was kinda ok

cogs with swift death gets them flying at mad speed. 

But also dragon warriors makes charging knights awesome.

Necromantic is also kinda ok if your going for high magic

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Charlo said:

Thoughts? 

Needs paint!!! 

I personally have reservations about the „mutated“ left hand, but one could make a magical effect out of it... 🤔 paint only half of it in „vampireskin“ and the rest greenish witchfire 

45 minutes ago, Honk said:

Needs paint!!! 

I personally have reservations about the „mutated“ left hand, but one could make a magical effect out of it... 🤔 paint only half of it in „vampireskin“ and the rest greenish witchfire 

By chance do you know any tutorial about making a spell effect with painted cotton? I have seen it used for simulating smoke and now I wonder how it could be used for simulating a small whirling bolt of energy growing in the spellcaster's hand.

I ask this because I am also working on a Vampire Lord conversion and I have also opted for a 'mutated' left arm. I thought that there exist many excellent shield to be used with Vampires but in my mind the Vampire Lord had to be a mix between a fighter (right hand with sword) and caster (throwing magic bolts and raising deads). 

Teaser here below :) 

pixlr_20190408201036108 (1).jpg

Edited by Uvatha
I forgot the teaser picture :D
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, Honk said:

Needs paint!!! 

Ha, you aren't wrong! SOON for paint - need to build it all first :) now it's glued there is a specific join so it just looks like some leather Armour above the empowered vampire skin. I'll probably do a purple glow on the fingers to simulate a spell-cast, as my guys are planning to be Necromantic in bloodline.

@Uvatha - those silhouettes are AWESOME.

Edited by Charlo

14 hours ago, Uvatha said:

Teaser here below :) 

Looks teasing 👍

I don’t know how to model a smokey fireball... I guess some wire and then, like you say twirl cotton around it, then paint it. Airbrush should do the trick. Maybe with regular glue, just to have different textures within the smoke, but that’s just an idea. With the wire you can then firmly attach it to the model.

Well, they do say each of the grand alliances is getting another time this year... so my money is on Soulblight getting a re-vamp. 

Abhorash or Vlad would be dope. But tbh, what the list needs is a completely new model line apart from existing heroes. We’re also in need of at least a few more battleline options, either in the form of moving existing things about OR in the form of some footsloggers - vamps on foot, thralls, enforced minions etc. 

Quietly optimistic bout this year’s death wave continuing.

1 hour ago, warhammernerd said:

We’re also in need of at least a few more battleline options, either in the form of moving existing things about OR in the form of some footsloggers - vamps on foot, thralls, enforced minions etc

What would be totally crazy would be:

humans - people of the realms 

The book that gives army compositions, like FEC courts depending on the realm they originate from, with corresponding „ally“ choices. You come from Hysh?!? There you go, luminark and some high elves...

shyish?! Vamp lord enslaving you for your sweet blood

chamon and you roll out your cannons with some dispossessed 

that would be so totally rad!!!

• Like 1

Vampires on foot as a unit and thralls would honestly be my favourite thing! 

I find myself considering remaking my blood knights and not using the dragon princes (they're so ruddy flimsy unfortunately) but I'm very much struggling to think on what cavalry to use as a base without going 3rd party for all of it (finding similar scaled stuff is a ******) I could try marauder horsemen but they unfortunately wear a lot of leather armour so be more ideal if I went pirate themed. Frankly I'd rather go witcher wild hunt themed which would be a lot of fun greenstuff additions and conversions but would likely suit a more heavy armoured base.

What sort of units have people looked at for blood knights besides the dragon princes? I've considered stormcast palladors but they're such bulky blokes :(

Demigryph knights have some lovely sized riders but rather large mounts (and would be an expensive option as it's 3 per box + bases on top)

2 hours ago, Lightbox said:

What sort of units have people looked at for

Chaos Knights, the Varanguards are cooler, but a bit too crazy

Drakespawn looked good, if you play Dragon Warriors and like the mounts

don‘t really dig the darkriders.

there were the ?doom?rider darkelf wizards things, but they seem to be gone...

19 minutes ago, Honk said:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Daughters-Of-Khaine-Doomfire-Warlocks-2018  ?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Honk said:

Knights are possible but could take some work to look vampy and not too chaosy. Drakespawn could work but I'd want riders from something else though. The doomfire could work but are completely unarmoured unfortunately. Chaos knights may be my best bet, would need the vampire shields though and possibly a headswap (maybe dark eldar wrack heads, look like they'd make good knight helmets)

Know if there's any pics of conversions? as I've heard those mentioned before. Mainly wanna see how they've de-chaosified the horses.

Edited by Lightbox

3 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

Know if there's any pics of conversions? 

I‘m sorry, I went for the easy route, Dragon Pricesses 😓

Theoretically, you could buy one doomfire warlock kit, one Chaos knight kit (70€) the mix match all the heads or even shields and weapons (it is also the ?outrider?elf kit) .

those who are too chaotic can be swapped for the elf ones, the rest gets the file or (liquid) green stuff to remove chaos stars. Then some skulls from the bit box, undead paint scheme and you should be ready to go... (Skills and Time needed)

15 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

Is The Wraith Fleet new? ARE WE GETTING SPOOKY GHOST PIRATES?!?!?!

It is one of the Alliegances that were included in the old Firestorm campaign book, it is the death alliegance in that book that included Soulblight, Deathmages, Deathrattle and Nighthaunt keywords.

image.png.0b32f9b403e91811894ecac5eb6108f0.png

7 minutes ago, Kyyn said:

It is one of the Alliegances that were included in the old Firestorm campaign book, it is the death alliegance in that book that included Soulblight, Deathmages, Deathrattle and Nighthaunt keywords.

image.png.0b32f9b403e91811894ecac5eb6108f0.png

Ok then. I have no idea what the pic is referring to then.