AoS 2 - Soulblight Discussion

RuneBrush

40 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Soulblight will be getting some love this year 🦇! 

There is always hope...

But since it specifically says all the Grand Alliances, I‘m a bit skeptical. First my wallet needs to survive the FEC delusional madness, then we‘ll see, what is left for GA:Death.

especially what Typ of plastic nonsense gets thrown at us... one tombstone to rule them all 😅🤪

26 minutes ago, Charlo said:

So we're going to get "Battletome: Gutbusters" not "Battletome: Destruction"

Unless the Ogor (with squigs in the background, mind!) is just a stand-in for 'any army from Destruction'. I'm not convinced yet that it is really Stormcast, Soulblight, Gutbusters and whoever the last guy was.

With Skaven and FEC getting new books my only other neglected faction is the Vamps.  If we get a new book I would be ecstatic.  Besides new models of course (I am looking at you Bloodknights), my big wish is to have some more battleline  options.  From a narrative perspective I hate taking Zombie or Skeletons for batteline (Direwolves are ok, especially if you use the 40K ones that are less zombified). Give me supped up Fell Bats and Bat Swarms, or maybe even Vargheists battleline and I am a happy man.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I return with a new issue you might've encountered and have hopefully solved somehow. How do we deal with...

The Gristlegore Ghoul King on Terrorgheist from Flesh-Eater Courts?

I think it is a hard counter to our way of fighting: it will fight before you, twice, and spew out mortal wounds and rending attacks. Nothing we have will stand up to it in a fair fight and killing it with dragon breaths and spells is pretty clunky and unreliable. The doppelganger cloak would be cool if it didn't get trashed on the opponent's turn (due to both it and the TG going 'at the start of the combat phase'), making the strategy awfully narrow. The only thing I see for pure Soulblight to do is to manage to throw multiple heavy hitters in at once, with one them being an ethereal VLoZD to tank as much damage as possible. Easier said than done though, since the TG is only 400 points and there's going to be the rest of the army getting in the way.

Maybe ally in Arkhan the Black and go for broke with Curse of Years?

Edited by TMS
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TMS said:

The Gristlegore Ghoul King on Terrorgheist from Flesh-Eater Courts?

It is a glorious beast... versus elite armies the first strike + feeding frenzy combo is just crazy. Munched a Bloodthirster in one go yesterday. with kinda ok rolling, it coughs out 18 wounds (2x3 attacks with the maw, rerolling and then the rest claws/king) easily. Killer hordes like skimpy clad ladies or heavy shooting is a good counter, but elite melee... 

the -1 to hit gaze ability, maybe ally in a necro for overwhelming dread and the eathereal amulet. Then throw bat swarms at him, hold objectives, charge the other monsters to death and win on points

Unfortunately, allied necromancers won't get to pick any of those awesome deathmage spells... not even the soulblight mortarchs get to do that even though they're deathlords, for some reason.

Neferata's CA + ethereal VLoZD with transfix. There we go! Nice and cheap! But remember to only engage it on your own turn, or else transfix won't help you.

Edited by TMS

• 5 weeks later...

So, just looking to pass the time here... why do you think Soulblight as an army has got so little interest going on? Most other army threads on this forum are far bigger than this one and has a lot more buzzing.

I'll venture a guess and say it's because of two things.

One, the army is limited in number of choices. In total I wouldn't call it much worse than some other little factions but with only a single battleline option available it does force a certain shape to every list. The only ones sharing the same boat that I can recall are ones without even allegiance abilities, like the Phoenix Temple and Order Draconis. The Phoenix Temple thread is actually smaller than ours so I guess it could be worse... but we've already got our abilities, artefacts and stuff. It is a little sad, really.

Two, and I think this is the big one... you can use the exact same models in a Legions of Nagash army and just be stronger. It does feel like a conscious handicap sometimes to go with Soulblight over LoN, especially when I consider that I already tend to use a unit or two of Dire Wolves as allies. Then again, the theme and feel of a proper Soulblight army is much stronger to me, and I've found it pretty hard to wean myself from having my Blood Knights fly.

Thinking about the future of the army, I'm not convinced that Soulblight will continue as its own thing down the line. I think it'll be absorbed completely into Legions of Nagash (or Blood, specifically) but which will hopefully mean that the vampire theme and focus for the legion is strengthened. Compared to others who worry that their faction might disappear completely, we've atleast got a fallback with LoN.

I am looking forward to this year's GHB, though. I hope for some points changes here and there to lighten us up a little bit.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Charlo said:

Rumour has it there is a Mortarch Vlad coming and a new army book to go with him. Could be rampant speculation though!

Where did you find this rumour? 🙂

Hope Vlad is still alive to kick Nagash ass and claim back his supremacy over death... (But given new loosy fluff he will just be another nagash servant trying to revive his lost love Isabella)

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Nokrah said:

Hope Vlad is still alive to kick Nagash ass and claim back his supremacy over death...

How dare you... wash out your skull with soap for that heretical thought!!!

*whisper (i‘d love an undead renegade faction, with Ushoran, Vlad and Settra) *whisper

All hail Nagash!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Honk said:

How dare you... wash out your skull with soap for that heretical thought!!!

*whisper (i‘d love an undead renegade faction, with Ushoran, Vlad and Settra) *whisper

All hail Nagash!!!

The whispering part totally didn’t come out creepy at all Honk. I do swear.

Aside how sad would it be for Vlad to bend a knee to The Great Necromancer?  Looking back at all the histories official or reconned Nagash was infinitely cooler on the long quest to obtain godhood.  Then after Sigmar gives him it poor Nagash turns into some kind of hipster-emo-kid complete with enough issues to fill a psychiatry textbook.  His GW model transition from metal-to-plastic grew bigger but inside he shrunk.  Poor guy.

On the bright side at least he kept Manfreid out of the last Malign Portents scheme.  Otherwise the silly vampire would have surely “accidentally” doomed all of reality again.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

Otherwise the silly vampire would have surely “accidentally” doomed all of reality again.

Me?! What did I do???

he asks, standing with the bloodsoaked dagger in his hand over the backstabbed corpse, while the magical nexus goes critical... 

the undead fluff was one of the richest and most elaborated with great characters and stories everywhere. And luckily it still is, although AoS is kinda lackluster and wonky in that area, all the other factions got nothing. Sigmar trying to do the emperor thing (i‘ll get off my butt someday...) and Archeron kinda done with his conquests and sitting on his backend. 

Maybe I‘m just too old and demand too much, but in AoS, I feel it’s here is your faction, we ragtacked together some wonky background (fishyaelves?! kinkyaelves?!) who cares, dwarves never wore boots or trousers and now just play, nothing else to see here.

@Jetengine, here's my take on the different units. I've pretty much only used the Swift Death bloodline, so that's where I'll be talking from.

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon - the absolute star. Always great and amazing, especially with the Mist Form command trait. 5/5, easily.

Coven Throne - pretty good. Tough, mobile and decent punch against things with little armour, and an excellent command ability. It gets pretty funny if you go with the Blood Fury command trait and use Blood Feast and Tactical Insight on the Coven Throne, plus the Saccharine Goblet artefact... 3 bites and 6 stabs from the queen with +1 to hit and wound, re-rolling ones, and then the rest of the model. 🧛‍♀️  4/5.

Vampire Lord - good. A bit fragile and pricy but his command ability can make up for it. It's good that Soulblight doesn't care as much about the general as Legions of Nagash do, so we can get by with this guy for a general if you want to focus more elsewhere. 3/5.

Bloodseeker Palanquin - never used it, but too expensive for what it does. I'm still building one though, just to have it. x/5. (x=something low)

Blood Knights - decent. They hit hard enough on the charge but not reliably enough to really be worth their cost. D3 damage is such a swingy roll to make, I'd rather just have a flat 2. Units of 5 are limited in what they can take on while units of 10 are real hammers, although it becomes even more important to land that charge with them. 3/5.

Vargheists - good. Slightly faster, significantly cheaper and more reliable in their damage compared to Blood Knights. If they were still an option for battleline then I think these would be the go-to. 4/5.

Fell Bats - not too exciting. They're pretty expensive and fragile, although quite fast. 2/5.

Bat Swarms - a tiny step up from Fell Bats. They have the same negatives but at least come with a helpful ability against shooting, giving them some kind of worth beyond just tagging objectives and being in the way. I think both Fell Bats and Bat Swarms are overshadowed by Dire Wolves brought in as allies, though. 3/5.

I haven't used any of the unique characters yet so can't comment on them.

Edited by TMS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TMS said:

I haven't used any of the unique characters yet so can't comment on them.

Totally agree with your list...

tried out mannfred last time, his AoE complements 3+\3+ blood knights and vargheists just fine. Still not as good as a Lord on Dragon, but it was valid in a friendly game. Compared to the coven throne, I‘m hard pressed to find the extra points (160). That’s another vamplord...