AoS 2 - Soulblight Discussion

RuneBrush

1 hour ago, TMS said:

Have you found it otherwise?

Not yet...

Never bothered von carstein, since I always keep heroes around with all my other armies... 

never tried Dragon Warriors, because I though it is not that relevant (one game with mannfred taught me otherwise)

tried the necrarch once, ended in tears, but probably also some subpar play from me...

but swift death outperforms them all, imo, since the pure speed of knights, dragonlords and vargheists brings pinpoint devastation and allows the highly elite army to have board control. Don’t be afraid to retreat, before getting bogged down.

While yet to play, I really like Necromantic. It's a good all around and means with a banner you'll have -2 Bravery Aura as standard on the Knights which is pretty tasty. Plus landing things like Vile Transferrance and Amaranthine Orb reliably (not to mention some endless spells...) is always useful.

My 10 pence worth,

1. swift death 
  2. necromantic
  3. dragon warriors 
  4. legion of night

Do the following and the list might be diff.

Dragon warriors, re-roll 1’s on hits and wounds when charging.

Necromatic, +2 to cast

Legion of night, keep it to 6” but boost minions to 5++

Swift death, stay as is - it’s roughly on par with the above. 

It lets my units operate independently of my characters and thus not rely on them and keeps what little models I have on the battlefield alive a little longer(it's like having a extra bloodknight and vargiest in each unit )

The extra movement and fly I think is not that big a deal in an already extremely fast and mobile army and half the ability is only useful to Bloodknights.

Martial might is what wins me games,+1 to cast is neither here nor there  imo and while -1 bravery is nice it's not as good as the deathless save. 

Reroll 1's on charge is nice granted and I've taken it a few times in the past but it kinda makes your command abilities usless and again  I prefer the extra protection of the deathless save.

Edited by discoking
  • Like 1

I don't think he's actually referring to the legion of night (or else we've got some bad news for him regarding his true allegiance...) but I guess the extra CP is for handing out multiple Dread Knights or re-rolling important charges.

Edited by TMS

2 hours ago, TMS said:

(or else we've got some bad news for him regarding his true allegiance...)

🙀 Effed up , right you are

On 1/29/2019 at 11:04 PM, discoking said:

In both lists Legion of Night has been my goto. 

🙀 wrong he is...

still true with the charges, 2 sitting ducks 7“ away from enemy, while one unit is frantically hacking away kinda stinks 😅

Continuing general discussion, has anyone had any good use of the Bloodseeker Palanquin? It's weird, expensive and seems to miss quite a few things (poor invocation, no 'The Hunger' and no funky command ability) but handing out more attacks in a bubble is cool, as well as the banshee scream.

I haven't tried it myself yet and looking at it I wouldn't pick it as a first choice... but with the faction being so limited everything should be given a fair chance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TMS said:

It's weird

It’s a Vamplord strapped on a mortis engine...

sadly they destroyed the reliquary in the process and the vamp forgot his command ability. Then I got quite annoyed with GW and haven’t considered using this trash ever since. A mortis engine with a vampirelord is just better... or the coven throne 

Just now, TMS said:

That's weird, I inserted your name and suddenly couldn't type anything else in, and it wouldn't go away no matter what I did.

Anyway, I agree, the Bloodseeker Palanquin is uninspiring. So I'll move on to another topic, but if anyone else wants to share any thoughts on this thing, please do.

So the next thing I've been thinking about is... allies!

What allies have you used to give you some kind of advantage that we don't get on our own? Personally I think I'm on the same page as @discoking with how Soulblight really works best - be good at moving fast and punching hard. Other fripperies only dillute that strength. But still it can be fun and useful to try some outside stuff out. Here are the things I have in mind myself.

1) Dire Wolves. Cheap, durable and reasonably quick. Almost everything in Soulblight costs some multiple of 80 points so it's good to have these as a way to fill out lesser remains. And I think a bigger pack can have a place too, bringing plenty of wounds for cheap.

2) Corpse Cart. Pretty weak but it's cheap and has an 18'' bubble for either giving you +1 to cast or giving the enemy -1. I've tried it and it can hold a home objective decently and the bubble is usually big enough to effect something worthwhile.

3) Mortis Engine. Pretty much a Corpse Cart +1, for a lot more points. Fast enough to hang with the rest of the army and gives some cool bonuses. Never tried it myself.

Fill in with what stories of allies to Soulblight you might have!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Honk said:

It’s a Vamplord strapped on a mortis engine...

sadly they destroyed the reliquary in the process and the vamp forgot his command ability. Then I got quite annoyed with GW and haven’t considered using this trash ever since. A mortis engine with a vampirelord is just better... or the coven throne 

Not to mention it's also part of one of the weirdest battalions we have (not that it means much when we only have 6 of them), a melee and movement based battalion that works off of proximity to this weird non-coven throne that buffs a mortarch you don't normally want in battle anyways? What's the point? Sure extra movement on vamps is nice but it's not like neffi get's much benefit from the rerolls since you can't stack chances for her instant kill and while ebon claws are nice they aren't quite the murder weapons VLoZD has.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TMS said:

That's weird, I inserted your name and suddenly couldn't type anything else in, and it wouldn't go away no matter what I did.

Anyway, I agree, the Bloodseeker Palanquin is uninspiring. So I'll move on to another topic, but if anyone else wants to share any thoughts on this thing, please do.

So the next thing I've been thinking about is... allies!

What allies have you used to give you some kind of advantage that we don't get on our own? Personally I think I'm on the same page as @discoking with how Soulblight really works best - be good at moving fast and punching hard. Other fripperies only dillute that strength. But still it can be fun and useful to try some outside stuff out. Here are the things I have in mind myself.

1) Dire Wolves. Cheap, durable and reasonably quick. Almost everything in Soulblight costs some multiple of 80 points so it's good to have these as a way to fill out lesser remains. And I think a bigger pack can have a place too, bringing plenty of wounds for cheap.

2) Corpse Cart. Pretty weak but it's cheap and has an 18'' bubble for either giving you +1 to cast or giving the enemy -1. I've tried it and it can hold a home objective decently and the bubble is usually big enough to effect something worthwhile.

3) Mortis Engine. Pretty much a Corpse Cart +1, for a lot more points. Fast enough to hang with the rest of the army and gives some cool bonuses. Never tried it myself.

Fill in with what stories of allies to Soulblight you might have!

I've seen a few people run a ghoul king to summon ghoul fodder, seems like a decent idea since we lack reasonable fodder of our own and don't want to blow too many points we could be using for more bloodknights and vampire lords.

2 minutes ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

I've seen a few people run a ghoul king to summon ghoul fodder, seems like a decent idea since we lack reasonable fodder of our own and don't want to blow too many points we could be using for more bloodknights and vampire lords.

Unfortunately I don't think that works for us. Soulblight doesn't have Flesh-Eater Courts as allies, only the legions do.

That's actually only one thing in a list of small kicks to the fangs GW has given to Soulblight. Consider the following...

1) The Deathless Thralls rule states specifically that it protects friendly SOULBLIGHT units, deliberately not covering Dire Wolves and such. All the legions' same rule says friendly DEATH units.

2) The extra magic spell we get says that it's specifically from the Lore of Vampires. The Legions' same rule says it's from one of the lores of the dead. In our case it means that the two vampire mortarchs still can't get at those juicy deathmage spells.

3) And as I wrote above, no Flesh-Eater allies...

7 minutes ago, TMS said:

Unfortunately I don't think that works for us. Soulblight doesn't have Flesh-Eater Courts as allies, only the legions do.

That's actually only one thing in a list of small kicks to the fangs GW has given to Soulblight. Consider the following...

1) The Deathless Thralls rule states specifically that it protects friendly SOULBLIGHT units, deliberately not covering Dire Wolves and such. All the legions' same rule says friendly DEATH units.

2) The extra magic spell we get says that it's specifically from the Lore of Vampires. The Legions' same rule says it's from one of the lores of the dead. In our case it means that the two vampire mortarchs still can't get at those juicy deathmage spells.

3) And as I wrote above, no Flesh-Eater allies...

Huh, fair enough. I've personally only used soulblight for a path to glory but even then dropped it for legion of blood in a subsequent campaign due too having better options. Well with flesh eaters getting an update maybe we can expect to see soulblight, if not LoN entirely get a makeover, Nagash knows we need new battalions and some rebalancing on certain units.

It is what it is... for 260 points the palanquin could be interesting, but as it stands, it’s a disgrace and neffi should tell her thralls to bury it deep...

The dire wolves, were great when I used them.

corpse cart not sure, can‘t see the real benefits

mortis engine could be great, combined with a necro and ne necromantic blood line (extra bry debuff). And the reliquary can burst out a good heal in turn 2-3.

Ghoulking needs to be seen how it turns out with the new book. But 10 ghouls are always appreciated, maybe together with his varghulf bro...

400 points could be 40 skellis and a necro, but then you might as well play legions.

5 minutes ago, Honk said:

corpse cart not sure, can‘t see the real benefits

Well, it's only 80 points for something that can just sit in the back and hand out +1 to cast. Pretty funky with Necromantic and a Mortis Engine, I imagine.

And @Lucky Snake Eyes I would also love to see something new, although I don't think we're next in line just yet.

Edited by TMS

7 hours ago, TMS said:

Well, it's only 80 points for something that can just sit in the back and hand out +1 to cast. Pretty funky with Necromantic and a Mortis Engine, I imagine.

And @Lucky Snake Eyes I would also love to see something new, although I don't think we're next in line just yet.

Well given the past few battletomes and the updates to skaven and FEC, they seem to want every army to have a terrain piece and endless spells, so even if we don't get a straight up new battletome i wouldn't be surprised if for the next soul wars installment we got a suppliment of some sort that gave us endless spells and maybe terrain pieces for soulblight or legions graveyards.