AoS 2 - Soulblight Discussion

RuneBrush

I was surprised and delighted to see 2 submitted Soulblight lists for the upcoming LVO tournament and I finally got a look at them. Both include Neferata and some Nighthaunt allies.

Both lists taken from This Document (just search for Soulblight)

Bloodline: Swift Death
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Neferata Mortarch of Blood (340)
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Trait: Mist Form
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
10 x Blood Knights (400)
3 x Vargheists (150)
3 x Vargheists (150)
20 x Bladegheist Revenants (320)
- Allies
Extra Command Point (50)
Malevolent Maelstrom (10)

Bloodline: Necromantic
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Neferata Mortarch of Blood (340)
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb

Prince Vhordrai (480)
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Trait: Mist Form
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
5 x Blood Knights (200)
5 x Blood Knights (200)
3 x Vargheists (150)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
- Allies
Suffocating Gravetide (20)

The Bladegheists in the first list are interesting to me. I assume they'll be used both for screening and for punching. Having 3 characters nearby will give them some decent resurrections too.

The second list is going for the double ethereal dragon gambit, with some chainrasps for screening.

I wish both players the best of luck and hope they'll gain much glory next week!

• Like 1

Decent lists but not sure they will stand up in the current meta, I think a good result will be 3-2.  First list I think will be stronger but I would definitely take double vile transference because Neferata is going to be wiped off the board turn 1 or 2 depending on the opponent and you will want the healing later on.

9 hours ago, Death1942 said:

First list I think will be stronger but I would definitely take double vile transference because Neferata is going to be wiped off the board turn 1 or 2 depending on the opponent and you will want the healing later on.

I don't feel like Neferata is a very big threat, why would an enemy team focus her ? Only because of etheral spell or her CA ?

Both lists are kinda cool, but the current rules on CPs and Neffis CA really strain the budget. If you want her to be crushing, you’ll need 2 CP. Especially the double dragon approach then just runs out of steam, since they‘ll need another 2 CP.

My thinking is first list might work, second list would be better without neffi or one dragon.

16 hours ago, Honk said:

Both lists are kinda cool, but the current rules on CPs and Neffis CA really strain the budget. If you want her to be crushing, you’ll need 2 CP. Especially the double dragon approach then just runs out of steam, since they‘ll need another 2 CP.

My thinking is first list might work, second list would be better without neffi or one dragon.

i'd say no dragon, so you can get ethereal prince and that sweet -x to hit bubble.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

i'd say no dragon, so you can get ethereal prince and that sweet -x to hit bubble.

If you cast dark mist on your blood knights, you will save on 4+ even if they have no rend thought. I feel like the only good target of that spell is either prince vhordrai or VLOZD without the ethereal amulet. 

I'm definitely eyeing up the newer push fit chaos knights for making some blood knights. Definitely will look like big heavy chargers! Though my death is in a weird place with some bits (such as one of my coven thrones) converted into wraith fleet pirate style. Anyone got suggestions on cavalry that could be used to convert some more pirate looking bloodknights? Or should I just go heck it and go all in on the big heavy armoured knights. Would fit my armoured vampire lord on dragon a bit more than all pirates. Bonus points if I have some heavy armoured knights and some pirate looking ones to represent a story of perhaps 2 different vampire forces coming together to fight (can be a nice theme to differentiate two dragon lords)

Though alternatively I could see the ossiarch horses being an interested shout for those who want a more skeletal death theme! (could still paint them up like shadowy bone horses) I've been away from soulblight for too long though, my vampires need to taste blood again soon ;) 

EDIT: Just seen some pics of freeguild outriders being used to make blood knights. I actually really like the look of this idea! 

Always happy to see new ideas for knights (and I'm totally gonna have to make that saurus dragon conversion!!)

Edited by Lightbox

Chaos knights seems too bulky to me,  specially when compared  to vampire lords of gw range (that look like younger brothers..).

I would ho for drakespawn knights,  or dark riders.  I also saw a nice conversion from demigryph.

All these models would probably fit well with beautiful Puppetswar resin vampire heads, and with gw von carstein resin gw conversion kit (shields and stendard).  I would also suggest stendard from grave guard kit.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 5:34 AM, Death1942 said:

Those new elf cavalry models will probably look alright as blood knights with head swaps.  Maybe change the spear tips to be something a bit more death like and change the shields to be grave guard shields or something similar.

yeah, this seems like the best option. I would say black ark corsairs heads for the helmet ones and spite revenants for the unprotected ones. As for the lance tips i find the dreadspears' to be perfect 

On 1/29/2020 at 4:59 AM, Lightbox said:

I'm definitely eyeing up the newer push fit chaos knights for making some blood knights. Definitely will look like big heavy chargers! Though my death is in a weird place with some bits (such as one of my coven thrones) converted into wraith fleet pirate style. Anyone got suggestions on cavalry that could be used to convert some more pirate looking bloodknights? Or should I just go heck it and go all in on the big heavy armoured knights. Would fit my armoured vampire lord on dragon a bit more than all pirates. Bonus points if I have some heavy armoured knights and some pirate looking ones to represent a story of perhaps 2 different vampire forces coming together to fight (can be a nice theme to differentiate two dragon lords)

Though alternatively I could see the ossiarch horses being an interested shout for those who want a more skeletal death theme! (could still paint them up like shadowy bone horses) I've been away from soulblight for too long though, my vampires need to taste blood again soon ;) 

EDIT: Just seen some pics of freeguild outriders being used to make blood knights. I actually really like the look of this idea! 

Always happy to see new ideas for knights (and I'm totally gonna have to make that saurus dragon conversion!!)

I think you're talking about mine? If so I'm flattered. 

Also more than willing to give you more pictures or answer any questions you may have!

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 12:09 AM, Ignatius "Nate" T said:

I think you're talking about mine? If so I'm flattered. 

Also more than willing to give you more pictures or answer any questions you may have!

I would definitely love to see more pictures! Especially of the dragon, he's made from a carnosaur right? 

And what kits did you use for the blood knights out of curiosity? Pistolier bodies & horses with guard swords/shields?

On 1/20/2020 at 8:57 PM, Death1942 said:

You take her out and now the bladeghasts aren't coming back, plus her good command abilities.

Could you explain the point about bladeghasts? 

This is soulblight so no endless legions (and even if you have it it would be on general and you cannot use it on allies) and other heroes have invocation too. Did you have something else in mind?

On 1/20/2020 at 1:16 PM, Lorhan said:

I don't feel like Neferata is a very big threat, why would an enemy team focus her ? Only because of etheral spell or her CA ?

That CA is extremly powerful. You can stack it so first few rounds you take basicaly 0 damage. Also ethereal spell is also great. And finaly she dies quite fast and her rangego down fast

8 hours ago, ZLee Syn said:

Could you explain the point about bladeghasts? 

This is soulblight so no endless legions (and even if you have it it would be on general and you cannot use it on allies) and other heroes have invocation too. Did you have something else in mind?

No I forgot they were allies

• 2 weeks later...

So, following suggestions around the community and other less healty places i came up with the following army list: 

SOULBLIGHT, NECROMANTIC BLOODLINE
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LEADERS
Prince Vhordrai 480pts
Lore of the Vampires: Amethistyne Pinions
General

Neferata Mortharch of Blood 340pts
Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference

UNITS 
5x Bloodknights 200pts

5x Bloodknights 200pts

5x Bloodknights 200pts

6x Vargheists 300pts

ENDLESS SPELLS
Soulsnare Shackles 40pts

Extra Command Point 50pts

ALLIES
Mortis engine 180pts
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOT 1990pts

the point is rather clear, wait for CP, ubercharge neferata CA and jump in wailing, hoping for something to survive the enemy retort. I feel like the shakles could be nice to slow down one of the nemey flanks and then skidaddle everything the otherside to overwhelm the other half or so since i will porbably have the speed advantage.
What think thou, fellow knights? 

On 2/21/2020 at 5:52 PM, Raptor_Jesues said:

So, following suggestions around the community and other less healty places i came up with the following army list: 

SOULBLIGHT, NECROMANTIC BLOODLINE
LEADERS
Prince Vhordrai 480pts
Lore of the Vampires: Amethistyne Pinions
General

Neferata Mortharch of Blood 340pts
Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference

UNITS 
5x Bloodknights 200pts

5x Bloodknights 200pts

5x Bloodknights 200pts

6x Vargheists 300pts

ENDLESS SPELLS
Soulsnare Shackles 40pts

Extra Command Point 50pts

ALLIES
Mortis engine 180pts
TOT 1990pts

the point is rather clear, wait for CP, ubercharge neferata CA and jump in wailing, hoping for something to survive the enemy retort. I feel like the shakles could be nice to slow down one of the nemey flanks and then skidaddle everything the otherside to overwhelm the other half or so since i will porbably have the speed advantage.
What think thou, fellow knights? 

I dont know what your goal is. If you want to get best possible soulblight list or you just want to play pure vampires. If the first is the case then it might be a good idea to get in some nighthaunt allies for bodies (and sustain).

Also I feel like you are wasting alot of resources by having only unique heroes. Dragon with mistform and amulet might also be a huge inmprovement.

But your list isnt bad. If you lije it then play it

23 hours ago, ZLee Syn said:

I dont know what your goal is. If you want to get best possible soulblight list or you just want to play pure vampires. If the first is the case then it might be a good idea to get in some nighthaunt allies for bodies (and sustain).

Also I feel like you are wasting alot of resources by having only unique heroes. Dragon with mistform and amulet might also be a huge inmprovement.

But your list isnt bad. If you lije it then play it

- Nah, full vampires is very fine with me, i would not like to spoil it with other inferior speciments :3 (except for the engine, thats a sweet ride)
-Usually i would have agreed but last time i played vhordrai literally murdered his way through his battlefield and i decided to give him sum luv, so i will use him for this time.  If i dont find him too valuable i will drop the engine, take a normal dragon lord and slap 5 more blood knights in it, maybe making it swift death, how does that sound?

Edited by Raptor_Jesues

9 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

last time i played vhordrai literally murdered his way through his battlefield

One thing about Our Talented Prince: it scares the living shite out of most of your opponents. It is not uncommon for the latter to focus on containing him and/or kill him to such an extent that they end up making some serious mistakes elsewhere on the board. To maximise this effect, give Vhordrai Amethystine Pinions (+5 to move) and casually mention to your opponents that if cast on an unmodified 9+ Our Talented Prince will move an outrageous 24"...