AoS 2 - Soulblight Discussion

RuneBrush

Its rules, they're just quite old and pre-date the LoN & Nighthaunt book so are pretty damn bad.

It's an extension of Grand Alliance Death and limits you to:

Soulblight, Deathmages, Deathrattle, Nighthaunt

And in return you get the following rules for the force:

Without Warning: Any unit can be placed in reserve and if you roll a 3+ during the Movement phase, you can place it within 6" of a Board edge but more than 9" from enemy models as their movement.
Nimbus of Shrieking spirit: When the above unit arrives, enemies within 12" subtract 1 bravery.

SO BASICALLY - it's worse Nighthaunt in every way with some Vampires, Necro's and Skellies added in (which you could just ally anyway...) that are bad because they lack the LoN allegience abilities.

Silly but fun list for upcoming narrative weekend... My army is going for a fluff approach but I still intend to give people some decent games!

Essentially my Vamps are from the realm of death and were tasked to gather and tame as much of the wild magic from the Necroquake as possible, so I've added in 3 endless spells that are all Death-themed to compliment them!

2000pts

Necrarch's Delight
Allegiance: Soulblight - Mortal Realm: Shyish
 - Bloodline: Necromantic
LEADERS
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Command Trait : Mist Form
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact : Ethereal Amulet
- Lore of the Vampires : Vile Transference
Vampire Lord (140)
- Nightmare
- Lore of the Vampires : Soulpike
Vampire Lord (140)
- Flying Horror
- Lore of the Vampires : Amaranthine Orb

UNITS
5 x Blood Knights (240)
5 x Blood Knights (240)
5 x Blood Knights (240)
3 x Vargheists (160)

BEHEMOTHS
Mortis Engine (180)
- Allies

ENDLESS SPELLS
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Suffocating Gravetide (30)
Purple Sun of Shyish (100)

General plan is to run up, hit stuff, cast spells to heal and deal mortals and throw a sun out for MAXIMUM FUN. +2 to cast from the Mortis+Bloodline means i'll easily be getting most things off. I have 70pts left but I may just take the extra command point. Gravetide and Shackles can be used to control enemy movement and ensure Blood Knights get the charge they need!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Mist Form has been able to do something cool for me in pretty much every match I've had it in. It really is one of the main draws for Soulblight, in my opinion. I hope you get the Sun to do something, @Charlo!

Speaking of lists, I'll be playing as well this weekend. I wanted to play 2000p in order to try out Vhordrai and a VLoZD together. Unfortunately my friends voted me down in favour of 1500p instead but since we're going with Vanguard+500p (meaning only 2 battleline) I noticed I could get away with this...

VLoZD

Vhordrai

2x5 Blood Knights

1400/1500p

Presto!

Just need to hope for good scenario rolls. 🙂

Edited by TMS
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 2 weeks later...

So what do people think about the Mercenary rules when combined with Soulblight?

FEC are the allies we specifically lack and this is a great way to include them. While we don't get a CP turn one, for 400pts you can bring 2 Archreagents who will summon a FREE 40 Ghouls as well as adding four casts/ denies, basically helping the chaff and limited casting problems we have while also being classically vampiric. Alternatively they can bring some Flayers/ Horrors (though we don't need those when Blood Knights are battleline) or a Vharghulf Courtier, which is a tasty mid-tier monster / threat for us.

Will certainly be considering it in the future myself! 

• LOVE IT! 1

Yeah, the Archregent was the merc option that immediately stood out to me as well. I'm waiting to see what GHB19 has in store for us before I do much else but I think I'll also give this a shot if nothing else comes up!

@Charlo Don't forget that you can't take the throne to get free summoning, so you lose a CP for taking mercs and if you take 2 archregents you'll need 2CP to use their summoning, so essentially it costs 3CP to get the 40 ghouls. 

The archregents are great as they cast/unbind 2 spells each but they'll be limited to one on their warscroll, the basic 2 and then endless spells. Also you'll need to take at least 6 other units, as mercs can only be taken if you have 3 other normal units for each merc unit. 

I think just 1 archregent and 1 varghulf will do the trick to be honest rather than 2 archregents. 

On a separate note, I'm relatively new to running pure Soulblight, what do you guys use for batswarms and fell bats? The current models are rank and disgusting beyond measure. 

I feel confident that I can use 40k nid gargoyle broods and green stuff to make fell bats, but am stuck finding suitable replacements for batswarms.

So what is the general go-to replacements for both fell bats and bat swarms? 

3 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

@Charlo Don't forget that you can't take the throne to get free summoning, so you lose a CP for taking mercs and if you take 2 archregents you'll need 2CP to use their summoning, so essentially it costs 3CP to get the 40 ghouls. 

The archregents are great as they cast/unbind 2 spells each but they'll be limited to one on their warscroll, the basic 2 and then endless spells.

Don't forget realm spells.

@AverageBoss realm spells are never a guarantee, as everyone runs the realms differently. You could take 2 regents and go 100pts under to get the CP to summon, but you'd need the Varghulf to heal the summoned ghouls. It might be worth taking a regular GK though to get extra attack spells as well. 20 ghouls getting healed with D3+1 extra attacks rerolling due to the abhorrents could certainly do some hurt. 

• Haha 1

@Tropical Ghost General I use spirit hosts with the arms clipped off as "wild death magic" for my Batswarms. You can see them in the pic below. No idea for Felbats yet. I was considering the Disk bat ladies with some conversions but I like the Gargoyle idea.

Speaking of, I finally painted (mostly) and got my first few games of AoS in over the weekend and used Soulblight as my Allegiance. Ran Necrarch and it was super fun. Allied Mortis engine with +2 to cast was great, as was -2 Bravery from the Banners and allegiance.

Someone took a great pic of my Vampire coven and I took others :) the dragon is green because he has the Ethereal Amulet of course ;)

FB_IMG_1560117920289.jpg

IMG_20190609_123641.jpg

IMG_20190607_160504.jpg

IMG_20190607_160724.jpg

IMG_20190607_160813.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

That's a nice army, @Charlo! One of these days soon I'll get around to taking pictures of my own as well. The glowing green of your dragon does a really nice job of standing out, I've got to admit!

I actually like the original bat swarms and fell bats for their old school charm... although I suppose since I grew up with them I could be partial. 

🦇

I'm glad you found necromantic a good fit for you. I haven't been able to get myself away from swift death, the extra mobility always seem to play a deciding part in my games.

You should try out an allied corpse cart some time. It's only 80 points and can hand out +1 to cast within 18''.

Edited by TMS

I've got a Vampiric conversion lined up for a Corpse Cart already, don't you worry ;)

My Batswarms were to fit the theme and also because those old swarms are just TOO expensive for what they are.

My plan is to use Swift Death too in some games, after now playing that 2" and flying move would be crazy!

Some thoughts from my games:

For those who like smaller games, good lord give a Vampire lord the Sacharine Goblet. 2+/2+/-1/D3 let me threaten some huge targets with a single 32mm base.

Also don't sleep on Vargheists, flying movement, lots of wounds, great combat stats and flat 2 damage is pretty brutal I found. Fingers crossed they get battleline or something soon.

And then we have Blood Knights... I'd be lying if I said they didn't kill what I pointed them at. The D3 damage on the charge is truly brutal. However their shield mechanic is so useless... Going down to a 5+ when against -1 really hurts. You want these guys smashing through the elite stuff, but if they take hits back it gets very touch and go. My hope if they see some points drops on the GHB19 but I doubt it.

OH and ALWAYS bring a Mortis Engine as allies. They are so strong and so much fun to play. Mortal wounds out the ass! 

Edited by Charlo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ferrus65 said:

Charlo, I love your army, nice theme (and colors!), and some very nice conversions (consider stolen a couple of ideas..).

May I ask you a photo of the vampiric corpse cart?

Thanks mate, much appreciated!

Once It's complete, sure thing! But I'm yet to start it at the moment 😎 still hashing out ideas in my head.

SPEAKING of conversions... MERC COMPANIES FROM THE GENERALS HAND BOOK!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/10/the-generals-handbook-2019-mercenary-companiesgw-homepage-post-2/

Don't know about you guys, but I'm guessing that Blood Knights must be dropping significantly if you are to fit them in the regular 2000pt games and the 400pt allies limit, or it could just be ONE unit... Boo!

However, now we get some solid modelling opportunities in Undead Giants and best of all... ARTILLERY AND GYROCOPTER!

Edited by Charlo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, StokieRich said:

I'd love for the blood knights to get a points drop... 

Don’t we all?!?

and talking about allies in Soulblight, I had fun with corpsecart and wolves, they get a save buff near the cart.

opponent started using strong language, after I told him that the wolves were 3+ in the woods (5+, cart, terrain). They really held the line for my swift death countercharge... death was really swift that day 😈

• Like 2

On 6/10/2019 at 3:55 PM, Charlo said:

Thanks mate, much appreciated!

Once It's complete, sure thing! But I'm yet to start it at the moment 😎 still hashing out ideas in my head.

SPEAKING of conversions... MERC COMPANIES FROM THE GENERALS HAND BOOK!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/10/the-generals-handbook-2019-mercenary-companiesgw-homepage-post-2/

Don't know about you guys, but I'm guessing that Blood Knights must be dropping significantly if you are to fit them in the regular 2000pt games and the 400pt allies limit, or it could just be ONE unit... Boo!

However, now we get some solid modelling opportunities in Undead Giants and best of all... ARTILLERY AND GYROCOPTER!

But the mercenaries rules only works in narrative play. In matched play you can't use them.

8 minutes ago, Charlo said:

No.... They are 100% Matched play legal. Just like the Forbidden Power Ones.

Wow... 40 skeletons + 1 necromancer is a extraordinary batteline for any army... I think that are too strong.

The blood knight...

Edited by Sartxac

Has anyone managed to find a descent standin for a vampire lord on foot and the different bats? I really don't wanna paint gws finecrap. 😅

Was thinking about using Konrad curze from 30k, https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-DK/Konrad-Curze-Primarch-of-the-Night-Lords give him a shield and sword and he could work?

Edited by Thenord
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Thenord said:

Has anyone managed to find a descent standin for a vampire lord on foot and the different bats? I really don't wanna paint gws finecrap. 😅

Mortis Engine kit has three Vampire ladies all plastic. Pop them on something floating and they look the part.

Otherwise I used a Ghoul king and the small wings from the Vargheist kit.

11 hours ago, Sartxac said:

Wow... 40 skeletons + 1 necromancer is a extraordinary batteline for any army... I think that are too strong.

The blood knight...

They aren't battleline for anyone. They come from Allies allowance and cost the 1st CP of your game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlo said:

They aren't battleline for anyone.

Still interesting with the +1 attack...those zombers might get brutal. 

Also my regeneration legion of sacrament list might benefit from a brutal dwarvish cannonline 😈 

6 hours ago, Honk said:

Still interesting with the +1 attack...those zombers might get brutal. 

Also my regeneration legion of sacrament list might benefit from a brutal dwarvish cannonline 😈 

Sadly the max you can get is two cannons and that doesn't leave enough for an enginner (which really helps cannons).

However a Cannon, Organ Gun and Engineer is doable and then things get nastyyyy

Assuming 400pts allies limit and no changes to points!

Edited by Charlo
  • LOVE IT! 1