AoS 2 - Soulblight Discussion

RuneBrush

13 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

- Nah, full vampires is very fine with me, i would not like to spoil it with other inferior speciments :3 (except for the engine, thats a sweet ride)
-Usually i would have agreed but last time i played vhordrai literally murdered his way through his battlefield and i decided to give him sum luv, so i will use him for this time.  If i dont find him too valuable i will drop the engine, take a normal dragon lord and slap 5 more blood knights in it, maybe making it swift death, how does that sound?

I havent ment to drop him.  Just to add a character that can take artefacts and traits.

My soulblight list was something like 

Necromantic

Mannfred

Vhordrai

Vlozd with ethereal amulet and mistform

2x3 vargheist

10 bloodknights

Palisade 

If I remember correctly

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ZLee Syn said:

I havent ment to drop him.  Just to add a character that can take artefacts and traits.

uhm, thats a lot of heroes, basically 2/3 of your points. I dont know if i like that style of army though, ill see

15 hours ago, Thamalys said:

One thing about Our Talented Prince: it scares the living shite out of most of your opponents. It is not uncommon for the latter to focus on containing him and/or kill him to such an extent that they end up making some serious mistakes elsewhere on the board. To maximise this effect, give Vhordrai Amethystine Pinions (+5 to move) and casually mention to your opponents that if cast on an unmodified 9+ Our Talented Prince will move an outrageous 24"... 

exactly what i did and pland to do next time :D

Hi, Looking at lists for inspiration and I have a question.

I've seen lists that are soulblight with Blood Knights as battleline with a VLoZD as general, but the list includes Neferata. I thought that if Neferata is in a Soulblight army, she has to be the general.

Can someone clarify please?

21 hours ago, Piikalo1 said:

I think you’re thinking of legion of blood. Soulblight doesn’t have any restrictions Like that I believe 

Yes you're right, realised I was being a numpty last night when I read the Battletome again.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right place for this or the narrative thread, but I'll start here and see how it goes.

A lot of the books that I have read, recommended by this thread, contain details of vampires fighting on foot so I thought why not? The idea is that the soldiers fight for their house, rather like the house of York and Lancaster during the war of the Roses. Each house is led by a Vampire Lord and their private army comprises Vampire Knights and Vampire Thralls. The Vampire Knights are the elite bodyguard of the Lord while the Thralls are the household troops. I have been working on some custom warscrolls for vampire foot troops, which I have attached below. I'm hoping that they will come in at around 160 points for 5 Knights and 100 points for 10 Thralls. I'm also working on a mechanic called Blood Lust where the Knights and Thralls lust for blood, so they can move, run and charge an additional 1" until they cause a wound but must move towards the nearest enemy unit.

I need to dig into the detail of the Soulblight traits and artefacts, but the major problem at the moment as I see it is the lack of Alpha Strike or fast movment allowing for fast redeployment if you set up badly. Might try to develop a spell for movement to assist with this or could increase the movement characteristic to 8" (similar to Namarti Thralls).

What do you guys think? They would only be used in friendly or narrative games at my local club but I think they could be fun. If htey are pointed as I suggest I can make a list of VLoZD, 2x5 Blood Knights, 3x Vampire Lords, 3x5 Vampire Knights and 3x10 Vampire Thralls for 2040 points; should be okay in a narrative game. Next step is play testing to see how it all works, but I thought I would get your opinions first.

blood thralls v1.1.pdf Vampire Knights v1.3.pdf

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a consensus on whether castellans of the crimson keep is usable in soulblight? Ive heard conflicting things ranging from no because the battalion is a death battalion it is only usable in the "death" allegiance to yes since its a "death" battalion it can be used in soulblight because all the units in it have the death keyword to yes, for the reasons stated before but with the exception that when battalions are included in an army in this way the units in them count as allies in a certain way and so cannot be your battleline (cant remember if they supposedly count against the allies limit). Sounds like these are a variety of interpretations possibly stemming from different faq's? Does anyone know for certain the correct answer?

On 4/7/2020 at 5:49 PM, ccconner777 said:

Is there a consensus on whether castellans of the crimson keep is usable in soulblight?

I would argue strongly for that.

because it is totally fine to field for example the „court of new lamiah“ battalion within a legion of sacrament list... as it is written in the designers commentary of the legions faq...

and since GA Death is no more (see faq ga death), „death“ is just another subfaction of the  legions of nagash, so it would be the very same thing as mentioned above

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 2:22 AM, Honk said:

I would argue strongly for that.

because it is totally fine to field for example the „court of new lamiah“ battalion within a legion of sacrament list... as it is written in the designers commentary of the legions faq...

and since GA Death is no more (see faq ga death), „death“ is just another subfaction of the  legions of nagash, so it would be the very same thing as mentioned above

but is it not horrible though? xD

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheWilddog said:

Man this future release from Punga minatures has me stoked. This is a vampire pirate fantasy football team but the conversion potential is fantastic. I think the kickstarter is supposed to get going soon. 

Those do look hot. Would be perfect for some Vampire Coast action. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2019 at 11:06 PM, Honk said:

Looks teasing 👍

I don’t know how to model a smokey fireball... I guess some wire and then, like you say twirl cotton around it, then paint it. Airbrush should do the trick. Maybe with regular glue, just to have different textures within the smoke, but that’s just an idea. With the wire you can then firmly attach it to the model.

...sorry that it took me so long for finishing them,
but here are my converted/kitbashed Vampire Lords :)

I abandoned the idea of the mutated left arm, and I used many bits:

• bodies: Idoneth Namarti Thralls & Namarti Reavers
  • wings: DoK Khinerai
  • heads: Spite Revenants
  • left hand: Crypt Ghouls
  • shoulders: Grave Guards
  • cloaks: Dark Riders

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 5:49 AM, Uvatha said:

...sorry that it took me so long for finishing them,
but here are my converted/kitbashed Vampire Lords :)

I abandoned the idea of the mutated left arm, and I used many bits:

• bodies: Idoneth Namarti Thralls & Namarti Reavers
  • wings: DoK Khinerai
  • heads: Spite Revenants
  • left hand: Crypt Ghouls
  • shoulders: Grave Guards
  • cloaks: Dark Riders

Amazing conversions - such a terrific, job, well done! Now, onto some Blood Knights, please... with this sort of talent...

• Like 1

Not so humble brag alert. Played a nice chap yesterday who was running LRL for the first time against my Soulblight. My list is below, but essentially:

Swift death with Manfred, 2 VL's on nightmares, 2 x 10 and 1 x 5 blood knights, 2 x 10 doggos and lifeswarm.

He ran Teclis, female spell caster, 2 x 20 pikes, 2 x 10 archers, 6 defensive eels.

I totally get the new army syndrome, it was after all his first run with them, but nonetheless... Short version is, I double six unbound two of Teclis 4 auto cast at 10 spells with double sixes, go Manfred. This was pretty big as it stopped him dropping portal and his cyclone nuke. He gave me turn 1, I moved everything up, two huge doggo screens. His turn 1, he buffs a pike unit to the hilt and handedly deletes a 10 dog screen, no surprise. Teclis and archers do some work, whittling down dogs and spreading a healthy does of mortals across all my heroes. I win turn 2 priority and charge pretty much all of his stuff bar Teclis with 25 blood knights who thanks to Manfred re-roll 1's to hit and wound. Bye bye 20 pikes. His turn two is pretty ineffective, second unit of pikes whiffs it big time against my other unit of 10 dogs. And things are looking pretty ropey. TBF, I think we should have played on at that point. I get turn 3 priority and he calls it. Tbf, on my turn he would have had little left. So yeah, feels good to dust of Soulblight vs cow elves and come out on top. 

Take aways from game, Teclis is terrifying. His spells are bananas, I was super lucky to have dodged one round of his nuke. Bravery of aelves is ****** poor, especially after they have used their aether. Having to burn two CP's to spend 1 is nasty, especially for a list like this. My -1 bravery from Boodknights meant boat loads were running away. Their defensive capabilities are mental, the only reason I did as well as I did against the pikes was because of the d3 damage on the charge from Bloodknights. He saved pretty much everything, but all it took if 5 or so to go through and they started to drop, even with Teclis 5++ spell. Defensive eels are ridic to kill, but pretty pants output at least against 3+ bloodknights. Finally, ahhh bless Manfred - he aint SO bad. 

So yeah, in classic me style. Singing when I'm winning, bitching when I'm losing. Lol. 

Blood Knights v1.0 TTS

Allegiance: Soulblight

- Bloodline: Swift Death

Mannfred Mortarch of Night (340)

- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions

Vampire Lord (140)

- General

- Mount: Nightmare

- Command Trait: Curse of the Revenant

- Artefact: Sigil of the Sanguine Throne

- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference

Vampire Lord (140)

- Mount: Nightmare

- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb

10 x Blood Knights (400)

10 x Blood Knights (400)

5 x Blood Knights (200)

10 x Dire Wolves (140)

- Allies

10 x Dire Wolves (140)

- Allies

Extra Command Point (50)

Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 1

Allies: 280 / 400

Wounds: 136

IMG_9945.JPG.e8b9b734bec6101ae1ba13e7d33b8743.JPGIMG_9946.JPG.019851545fe31c347c64453364ba9135.JPG261E435F-BAB6-4371-B68D-076A9D3AB49B.JPG.5f5f30f3a5650d1d534e0fa980db23fd.JPG307EB17E-F6D3-4486-AF1E-5897EBC98680.JPG.42a83739da0d4e413f66fb66b868cc2b.JPGIMG_9951.JPG.84794c5fafd648525da8dc57981ccd54.JPG

Edited by warhammernerd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

Bravery of aelves is ****** poor, especially after they have used their aether.

Congrats to rolfstomping the new hotness with a legendary rule of cool...

Daddy Nagash surely is proud.

Kinda thought banshees and terrorgheists might be a good idea against them in a legion of blood list. Will be interesting to see them perform in real life, they seem quite slow and buff-hungry. Teclis kinda reminds me of Daddy Nagash, totally cool, but with a big „kill me“ sign above him.

thx for the update and 🥃🥳🎉 for victoryyyyy

• Like 1

I've seen a possible leak of points changes for us and they looked like this...

Blood knights -20

Coven Throne - 20

Prince Vhordrai - 20

A nice little sprinkling, I suppose. Those 20's saved here and there can end up in new combos that couldn't fit together before. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, TMS said:

I've seen a possible leak of points changes for us and they looked like this...

Blood knights -20

Coven Throne - 20

Prince Vhordrai - 20

A nice little sprinkling, I suppose. Those 20's saved here and there can end up in new combos that couldn't fit together before. 👍

No way - if this is true, that’s HUGE. In many of my lists, the changes above would translate in a 100 pts saving... blood knights 180 pts for 5? Wow... please oh please let it be true!

@Thamalys I would post the image I've seen but it's forbidden here. If you're in the Death Grand Alliance group on facebook you can find it there. It's a picture of the new GHB page, certainly looks legit.

Edited by TMS
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Thamalys said:

No way - if this is true, that’s HUGE

Yes, finally the bloodknights are rightfully priced at 180 points... 

and the drop for my coven throne is also very nice.
Sounds very good

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thamalys said:

No way - if this is true, that’s HUGE. In many of my lists, the changes above would translate in a 100 pts saving... blood knights 180 pts for 5? Wow... please oh please let it be true!

YUP, CONFIRMED.
That is a lot of saved points holy hell... but for some reason everyone thinks that the palanquin is fine? xD

• Like 1