AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

What should I go with for a 2k game vs stormcast? Never went against them to have an idea. I have:

1x Lady Olynder
1x Reikenor
1x KoSoS
1x Vampire Lord 
3x GoS (1 with mortality)
1x Spirit Torment
1x Lord Executioner
2x Dreadblade
8x Glaivewraith
20x Reapers
6x Spirit Hosts
40x Chainrasp
10x Hexwraiths
1x Black Coach

Any list suggestion?

Could try something like this:

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
Spirit Torment (120)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (240)
Guardian of Souls with Mortality Glass (140)

20 x Grimghast Reapers (280)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

Chainguard (120)

Total: 1920 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 113

Seems like a pretty grindy list, with lots of hero support.  Not sure what flavor of Stormcast your opponent is running (Gavriel? Heavy Sacrosanct? Shoot-cast etc.).  Could fill in another 30 points of endless spells if you wanted but I'd recommend staying at 1950 or below for the extra command point.  Mounted Knight of Shrouds and the Vampire Lord are pretty interchangeable, so pick whichever you like more.

If you don't like the horde-yness of that list you could also do something like:

Dreadblade Harrow (100)
Spirit Torment (120)

5 x Hexwraiths (160)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
Black Coach (280)

Deathriders (130)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 97

Much more elite focused, but could be fun having Olynder bringing back full health Spirit Hosts and Hexwraiths.  But I like the first list much more.

3 hours ago, relic456 said:

Much more elite focused, but could be fun having Olynder bringing back full health Spirit Hosts and Hexwraiths.  But I like the first list much more.

He is going with the new soul wars stuff + libs + judicators. Never had Olynder as general, seems fun! I do have the malign sorcery endless spells. I rarely see a list without cogs nowadays, not a big fan? Cheers!

Edited by States

2 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Managed to pick up the Briar Queen set, and found her squad to actually be fairly easy to slot into many of my existing lists.

Excited to have some -3 rend lurking in my battleline as well as an extra cheap objective camping squad, also to see if I can ever get her spell to combine with shackles!

A spellcaster with shooting.  It was almost as if one of the Devs were throwing us a bone.  It doesn’t hurt that the model is gorgeous.  The only way this could get any better is if they FAQ her unit to be Battleline like other Chainrasps

17 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

@Evil Bob

Agree on all points

If you really want to get crazy, have her count as a Tomb Banshee for the battalion 😶

Sick!  You’re  evil, I actually went and checked the keywords.

Aside it could also be that GW looked at the likely sales distaster that was the-skeletelal-Squad-that-shall-not-be-named and decided to do it better this time.

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2019 at 3:57 PM, relic456 said:

Spirit Torment (120)

6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

Chainguard (120)

Seems like a pretty grindy list, with lots of hero support.  Not sure what flavor of Stormcast your opponent is running (Gavriel? Heavy Sacrosanct? Shoot-cast etc.).  Could fill in another 30 points of endless spells if you wanted but I'd recommend staying at 1950 or below for the extra command point.  Mounted Knight of Shrouds and the Vampire Lord are pretty interchangeable, so pick whichever you like more.

If you don't like the horde-yness of that list you could also do something like:

Dreadblade Harrow (100)
Spirit Torment (120)

5 x Hexwraiths (160)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
Black Coach (280)

Deathriders (130)

What one box should I get next in your opinion? Maybe Bladegheist? Or 8 banshees? Or?

Edited by States

On 2/2/2019 at 12:52 PM, Neck-Romantic said:

Has anyone played around with Malevolent Maelstrom? 

Its super cheap, and Im liking the magic superiority it theoretically provides.. plus you can always eat it with your Myrmourns. 

I haven't used it, but it does seem like it could be very useful. I remember it was mentioned on one of the Just Saying podcasts as being a good investment. 

• Like 1

So I'm looking to start Nighthaunt, but want to go a little more elite than usual, cuz I can't really afford to buy a lot of Chainrasps like usual lists.

This is my idea for a 1k list. How does it look?

Lord Executioner (80)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind 
Spirit Torment (120)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Lifestealer
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Wychlight Lantern
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)
Execution Horde (100)

Total: 980 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 52

16 hours ago, Rhargar said:

So what is the best way to start? Should i buy the Nighthaunt part from the Soul wars box

Soul Wars box is a trap on the Nighthaunt side.  I ended up splitting two and getting a third to deal with the Grimgaist Reaper bull.  It looks like GW definitely did not learn from the the first AOS box or maybe they did and loaded Soul Wars on characters and problematic units as a marketing strategy.

So the three options are Soul Wars

1 - Split one box for a deal on characters and Chainrasp unit.

2 - Three boxes to fill your collection.  Values on a second and third characters is a sticky topic.  60 Chainraps and 10 Grimsgasts are pretty good.  The Glaivewraith Stalkers are iffy, good for having a the whole Nighthaunt range but in the end are a personal choice depending how badly you like their warscroll batallion.  Dollar to value does go down sharply after the first box.

3 - Be mercenary.  Use eBay or local gaming communities and cherrypick models.  Keep price in mind, some people selling get weird notions on value based on MSRP and “rarity”.

Edited by Evil Bob
Grammer

On 1/28/2019 at 3:57 PM, relic456 said:

Spirit Torment (120)

6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

Chainguard (120)

Dreadblade Harrow (100)
Spirit Torment (120)

5 x Hexwraiths (160)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
Black Coach (280)

Deathriders (130)

With 10 new Bladegheists, what would you change?

11 hours ago, Rhargar said:

Hello, i want to start with a Nighthaunt horde as my second army. So what is the best way to start? Should i buy the Nighthaunt part from the Soul wars box or is there a better way to proceed?

I started with the Soul Wars Box and the Storm Strike box. The Grimghast Reapers box was a necessity. Then got the Underworld Warbands and whatever else I wanted to complete my army. So I do think Soul Wars is a great place to start. 

After reading this whole thread, still don't get a clear answer:

Does the affected enemy unit attacks last after ALL the units (both ours and enemies) or that means that the affected unit is the last enemy unit fighting  (for example if we have 5 units and they have 3, the affected unit will attack before our units 4 and 5).

The spell, for reference:

'Soul Cage has a casting value of 6. If successfully cast, pick an enemy unit within 12" of the caster and visible to them. Until the start of your next hero phase, that unit cannot retreat. In addition, until the start of your next hero phase that unit cannot fight in the combat phase unless all other enemy units that are eligible to fight have already done so.'

Edited by Garxia

Won a game against sylvaneth today with a kind of weird list I wanted to try out.

Lord executioner

General

Ruler of the spirit hosts

Midnight tome

Reaping scythe

Lady olynder

Soul stealer

Spirit torment

Banshee

Guardian of souls with nightmare lantern

Light shard of the harvest moon

Spectral tether

Kurdos

3 spirit hosts

3 spirit hosts

3 spirit hosts

Black coach

4 chainghasts

4 chainghasts

Chronomatic cogs

Execution horde

Ended up working really well against an army made up of high save elites and hordes. The chainghasts I deployed in the spirit realm and dropped one unit in to clear out a horde. The other guys dropped in late and ninja'd an objective after shooting some wounds of a Treelord ancient. Between the spirit hosts, olynder, the banshee, and the black coach I had a lot of mortal wound output. Only scary thing was charging the coach into a wildwood, didn't realize that the wildwood only doesn't have a chance of auto-killing monsters and heroes, I had misremembered the rule in the more than a year since I last played my own sylvaneth.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Deadkitten said:

Has anyone tried really leaning into Bladegeists?  The base stats are amazing.  Seems 2 blocks of 20 could be a solid core.

I am in the process of doing this.

I plan on x2 blocks of 20 Bladegeists in the Shroud Guard battalion with a mKoS and Vampire.  That could give them 5 attacks each on the charge.  I just need to convert a Guardian of Souls to match my themed army to heal them up, and I will be giving it a whirl.

I will try to post results here.

einhundert.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nevar said:

I plan on x2 blocks of 20 Bladegeists in the Shroud Guard battalion with a mKoS and Vampire.  That could give them 5 attacks each on the charge.  I just need to convert a Guardian of Souls to match my themed army to heal them up, and I will be giving it a whirl.

I will try to post results here.

einhundert.jpg

Let me know how it goes. 

4 hours ago, Nevar said:

So am I. :)

2x20. I think 15 would be enough, but it's hard to pass up the discount, plus that way, there'll be a better chance of them not being nuked off the table in one go.

Still trying to figure out my colour scheme, but then it's off to the races.