AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Think The new Mortach is gonna be great with all her mortal wound output. Only 7 wounds is a bit weak but at least she’s -1 to hit from shooting. 

Hoping all Nighthaunt get the frightful touch ability on an unmodified 6 now as while it sucks you can’t buff it I find there is loads of -1 to hit abilities and spells in the game now that make my Spirit Hosts worthless 

55 minutes ago, christophe said:

you could try wet blending with some retarder. It's efficient and rather fun. Zenital spraying of white on a darker sprayed base color work wonder as well. You could just glazed it once then.

I was thinking a reverse Zenital might work. Base white then black on the top areas.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Cyclop Owl said:

That’s an interesting thought! I really want to start NH but the time investment is scaring me :D

I would say in term of painting time/model it's maybe the fastest army to paint tabletop quality, few details, shade and technical paint to fasten the process. Then if you make it super hordy or want to get the best of the super detailed character, it's an other story...

1 hour ago, Lord Panther said:

I was thinking a reverse Zenital might work. Base white then black on the top areas.

One of the dangers with doing black last is that you could end up with speckling as black and white sprays have different densities and black seems to travel a looong way.  Also it's quite a jump from black to white for using washes.

I tend to use grey as my dark colour when doing a Zenithal undercoat and then airbrush the white (or in my case Ulthuan Grey) on - using an airbrush means you've got quite a bit of control to push the edges of the robes and leave the centre parts dark :)

8 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

One of the dangers with doing black last is that you could end up with speckling as black and white sprays have different densities and black seems to travel a looong way.  Also it's quite a jump from black to white for using washes.

I tend to use grey as my dark colour when doing a Zenithal undercoat and then airbrush the white (or in my case Ulthuan Grey) on - using an airbrush means you've got quite a bit of control to push the edges of the robes and leave the centre parts dark :)

I mean, if there’s an army that’s gonna get me to make the transition to airbrushing, it’s this one.

• Like 1

Since we are already touching on painting (and I've asked this in a different thread without any answer to the question) how do you recon that they have achieved the effect of the bones showing through the cloth on the mount on Knight of Shrouds on Steed? I'm thinking color combination and blending wise..

Unless an easy to build kit of 6 Grimghast Reapers comes out, it looks like the starter box unit is more of a "demo" unit that won't be filled out. Anyone doing anything interesting with their spares? I'm thinking that the four in the starter get built and added to 6 from the proper box, and use the leftovers there, since it'll be a multipart kit, for conversions and general bit box fodder. I'll probably use one of them as a cairnwraith, which really needs little conversion, but I need a way to differentiate it from the unit in case they end up next to each other on the table. But I'm not coming up with too much interesting to do with them yet, but maybe as more stuff comes out I'll think of something.

• Like 1

I think it was just a highlight. Looking at the sprues the ribs are moulded on the spoopy skin so it should be easy.

I may use the glaivewraith stalkers to make my Hexwraiths centaurs as I'm not a fan of the current riders. If something in the book makes them better, they should be cheap enough to rebuy. 

Edit: I'll have 8 from 2 starters, 2 glaivewraith stalkers from both units ( as you get 5 but they are in 4 man units) will get scythes.

The alternative is to see what the bladegheists are like. I've got 5 sister of silence arms spare that I can use to convert them to if these guys are cool enough.

Edited by PainfullyMediocre

24 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

Unless an easy to build kit of 6 Grimghast Reapers comes out, it looks like the starter box unit is more of a "demo" unit that won't be filled out. Anyone doing anything interesting with their spares? I'm thinking that the four in the starter get built and added to 6 from the proper box, and use the leftovers there, since it'll be a multipart kit, for conversions and general bit box fodder. I'll probably use one of them as a cairnwraith, which really needs little conversion, but I need a way to differentiate it from the unit in case they end up next to each other on the table. But I'm not coming up with too much interesting to do with them yet, but maybe as more stuff comes out I'll think of something.

Maybe use some of them for a custom Mortis Engine/Blood Palanquin?

8 hours ago, Wraith said:

A question about the Spirit Torment capture soul energy ability.

The wording says ‘start of the battleshock phase’. Would that be in both one’s own and also in the opponent’s battleshock phase? 

Correct, i am thinking about using two instead of one, it's just so darn good. The 1s reroll is just the icing on the cake.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

do you think it'll be faster to airbrush them (rather than regular brushing them)?

if you want gradiant and paint a lot of NH (or vehicles) definitely yes, but airbrushing is not magical (and flat surface where you have to do gradiant not so common). You will loose time cleaning, it's noisy, not so cheap... Some people, even  pro painter don't like it and will find it easier and faster to pick a brush 95% of the time... Maybe you can find a hobbyist around you  to make you demo ?

By the way I am curious to know how much GW painter use them. On Warhammer TV they don't want to scare beginner, yet for their vehicle they sure do it. But for their pretty characters like Eidolon etc ?

Edited by christophe

48 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

Correct, i am thinking about using two instead of one, it's just so darn good. The 1s reroll is just the icing on the cake.

It is certainly handy being able to heal in the opponent’s turn. And the Spirit Torment can heal any NH unit, not just summonable units. It is particularly good when having to endure an opponent’s double turn rather than having to wait for one’s own next hero phase, when most healing abilities can activate.

Just need a decent sized unit or two of Grimghast Reapers to provide a steady supply of souls to charge up the Spirit Torment.

So compared to the new stormcast named characters the nighthaunt ones are poor.  I know they are the literal golden boys of the setting but it's ridiculous how much more the two stormcast characters have.

Plenty of mortal wound output, making ethereal rather redundant. I don't play against stormcast often and tbh with the new warscrolls am rather glad. 

1 minute ago, El Syf said:

So compared to the new stormcast named characters the nighthaunt ones are poor.  I know they are the literal golden boys of the setting but it's ridiculous how much more the two stormcast characters have.

Plenty of mortal wound output, making ethereal rather redundant. I don't play against stormcast often and tbh with the new warscrolls am rather glad. 

Haha, and in the Stormcast Eternals discussion forum they are saying the exact opposite! Mostly because the SE Characters are much more expensive! Seems most SE players in that thread is not happy with what they got!

1 minute ago, Nuradin said:

Haha, and in the Stormcast Eternals discussion forum they are saying the exact opposite! Mostly because the SE Characters are much more expensive! Seems most SE players in that thread is not happy with what they got!

Oh well I haven't seen the points for the stormcast; just a brief comparison of the scrolls made me think night haunt had got shafted somewhat.