AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

true, though if you played the positioning well, had the HWs charge up 1 flank, the unit spaced out as much as possible, with your commander on the other side even a unit of 5 could cut a swathe across the board and affect most the opposing units. 

though yeah, even then it wouldn't exactly be talking too many models off the board.

My points of reasoning:

1: Spectral Summons happens in movement phase. Spectral Hunters requires it. ✔

2: Spectral Hunters requires this to be a result of movement; Spectral Summons counts as the units move. ✔

3: Its not free and requires a CP cost

4: You still need the 5+ to get so you're not just decimating entire units.

Yes its potentially powerful but i dont feel it to be op.

Anyone else think this could be a thing?...

Edited by Vasshpit

"count as move" is not a move at all. it just prevents your model from moving again. (iirc when stormcast teleport onto the field, this count as move, but they didn't move with respect to movement, so their archery can use the not moved profiles. have to check faq if I remember this correctly...)

since you remove your models from the board, they do not interact with anything on the board.

furthermore, a 'set up' on the field does not prevent a unit to move, therefore you have these extra lines as 'this count as the units move'. an example would be seraphon teleport, where they still could move after set up (if you roll good)

Edit: found the FAQ regarding this @Vasshpit

20181010_095846.jpg

Edited by tea_wild_owl
  • Like 1

I don't exactly see the Hex Wraith thing above as powerful. Costs a CP, requires you to be using Hex Wraiths (not exactly an A+ unit, as much as I love them).

That being said, I do not feel it functions. They are removed from the table, and then placed back onto it. In game terms they don't pass over anyone or anything physically.

• Like 1

Hi there.

Now that the Nighthaunt are out for some time, can someone summarize (or point me to an article) what works in the army and what not? Or better, what to get and what to avoid?

When AoS2 was released I got a Soul Wars box and played the SCE but I'm looking into the NH, but I would like to make informed choices on what to get next :)

My gaming club is slowly coming around to the idea of AoS, so I want to get one of the armies I brought up to snuff.  Moon clan grots seems a bit sparse so I'll leave them be, so ghosts it is.

The briar queen seems like a really good caster, cheap and with a good denial spell, is anyone else using her? What second spell would work best on her?

I like the idea of the briar queen, and I do not think she is bad, but I do think she has a problem serving a specific purpose in an army hard pressed for hero spots, where those heroes need to have specific synergies.

The most direct comparison might be the guardian of souls, who is 10 pts cheaper than her and her thorns. They are both "lvl 1" wizards with about the same statline. 

The guardian is really powerful at bringing models back on the table and the +1 to wound aura is immensely useful and powerful and is a key factor in turning chainrasps into truly dangerous hordes.

The briar queen has no such buffs, she is weaker in melee (not overly important) but has 10" missile attack that might do a wound or two. She has her 6 chainrasps, which is not bad to have and can provide look out sir on their own, but just being 6 will not really achieve anything major, other than serve as a bit of bubble wrap.

I just see other heroes as far more important, either due to providing command abilities or critical support, as I want a guardian to buff my hordes, and especially if I bring bladegheists I wont a spirit torment, which is still nice otherwise. I also want a commander of sorts, either a knight or vampire. This is where the problem lies for me, as I don't see how my lists or gameplan is improved by replacing any of the other heroes, and when I got my bases covered by those heroes I would probably rather want 10 more reapers or 20 chainrasps than another supporty caster.

Tl;DR: I don't find her bad, but believe there are better options for your hero slots with more synergy with the overall army.

• Like 1

Sorry if I’m going over old ground but can someone offer advice. 

Im a long term Nagash player and my current gaming group  accuse me of power gaming as “reapers are the best unit in the game”. I’ve yet to use any as they are on my painting tray. Can anyone offer me a reason for this opinion? What makes them the best? What support do they need cos whilst I see max units of these being effective I’m obviously missing something. Or is it just my group not liking new shiny units and change is bad?

thank you for any advice

Reapers put out a bonkers amount of wounds since they have a decent statline and against units of 5+ models, they can reroll failed hits.  I think it's a few pages back now, but a user did an analysis on the efficiency of various models and Grimghasts were very good.  Combine that with ethereal, fly, and some hero support (+1 wound from Guardian of Souls, +1 to hit from Knight of Shrouds, or +1 Attacks from the mounted version/Vampire Lord) and bam! you've got an amazing unit.

To illustrate, a 30 man unit of reapers that's in range of a Guardian of Souls and attacking a unit with 5+ models they're putting out 59 attacks that hits on 4's (rerolling fails), wounding on 2's, with Rend -1, plus a 2 damage , -1 Rend attack from the bell that hits on 3's, wounds on 2's, and might do some mortal wounds.  That just under 40 wounds before saves.

Edited by relic456
  • Thanks 1

Good question! I assumed that a 30 man unit of reapers would have 29 equipped with their scythes and 1 equipped with the bell. It functions so differently that I separated it out in my first post.

Edit: Also can't believe I didn't mention that the reapers have 2" reach! Makes it super easy to get lots of guys in to combat.

Edited by relic456

I bring spooky tidings of victory! Had a 1500 rematch against my mate's Daughters of Khaine in the first, tentative game in a Firestorm campaign. Morathi and Olynder met once more, both making only minor changes to their forces in light of their last engagement. Morathi led a clutch of Melusai alongside a Hag Queen on a Cauldron of Blood, while Olynder had brought the Grimhailer, Bladegheist Revenants, Grimghast Reapers and Spirit Hosts, alongside a brace of ethereal lieutenants. The two were determined to clash and break into each others' territory (i.e. we were playing Total Conquest) and battle soon began. 

The Daughters of Khaine formed up into a defensive formation around a magical wood, but were too distant to really achieve anything- even Morathi's magic proved ineffective. In response, Olynder's procession swept forward, Bladegheist Revenants appearing on the Khainite left to steal away a point of strategic value. The Guardian of Souls sent his Mortarch flying forwards on a bridge of shadows he had summoned (i.e. we were playing with Ulgu realm rules). She landed in front of the Daughters' position and began to wreak havoc, beginning a magical assault that the Guardian of Souls, Reikenor and the Knight of Shrouds, reading from the Midnight Tome, followed up on as the Nighthaunt forces seized the initiative. The Blood Sisters suffered terribly before being swept away by swords of the Bladegheists and Knight of Shrouds, while the Cauldron of Blood found itself assailed by Spirit Hosts. In response, Morathi shed her fair elven form and reared up, smashing the Bladegheists to nothing and evaporating the Knight of Shrouds with shadowy magic. The Blood Stalkers and Bloodwrack Medusa piled in to the melee developing in the centre of the field- the Medusa proved surprisingly adept, leading her sisters in a flurry of shockingly effective attacks that saw Olynder leave the field. But now the Grimghast Reapers arrived, having secured the elven right flank, and they charged, their frenzied scythes cutting the Bloodwrack Shrine, the Blood Sisters and the Medusa to gory pieces. Morathi, left alone of her left flank, fought and defeated the Spirit Torment and did great damage to Reikenor, who had been wearing her down as the battle progressed. As he sought to fall back and take refuge among the Grimghast Reapers, Morathi realised she stood alone, and surrendered the field. Victory belonged to the Nighthaunt!

So I got a double turn going into the second battle round, and the damage Olynder, Reikenor, the Bladegheists and the Knight of Shrouds were able to put out in those two turns very nearly won the game right there and there, basically deleting his two units of Blood Sisters. Morathi's power and some amazing dice for his Medusa (honestly, I was expecting Olynder to pulp her, but snake girl was shockingly tanky with an artifact and the Blood Shield) made for a bit of a comeback, but he didn't have the ability to play the objectives after that, and it was just a case of watching the victory points tick up, though he put up a spirited fight. Olynder is amazing, but so fragile. Reikenor is damn good, but he's also annoyingly flimsy and I really feel like he should be able to cast two spells. A Skaven Arch-Warlock can cast two spells but not the wizard who claims souls for Nagash? Anyway, my number one irritation in this game was that I hardly had a chance to use Olynder and the Guardian of Souls to keep my army replenished- I think Olynder returned one Spirit Host, and the Guardian of Souls resurrected six Reapers. Nothing has changed to affect my judgment of the Spirit Torment, he's brilliant- great buff and he packs a wallop. 

Anything else? Uhhhh, playing in Ulgu didn't affect a thing, except for allowing me to cast Bridge of Shadows and get Olynder in range to open up the Mortal Wounds can. I was able to kill his general (his Bloodwrack Medusa), so I achieved my Firestorm victory card. I don't really know what that means yet though. We will see next week!

Edited by Kirjava13
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Dave8210 said:

Sorry if I’m going over old ground but can someone offer advice. 

Im a long term Nagash player and my current gaming group  accuse me of power gaming as “reapers are the best unit in the game”. I’ve yet to use any as they are on my painting tray. Can anyone offer me a reason for this opinion? What makes them the best? What support do they need cos whilst I see max units of these being effective I’m obviously missing something. Or is it just my group not liking new shiny units and change is bad?

thank you for any advice

Reapers are a VERY good unit, but I don't think I could say they are the best in the game, at least in a Nighthaunt army. If that were the case, NH would be tearing up tournaments, having the best unit in the game as a battleline, rather than placing more consistently mid tier.

They are MUCH stronger in a Legions army though where they benefit from gravesite and DI healing, and whole units can be brought back with Endless Legions, while still retaining access to their other buffs like the GoS (since he is Legions too).

5 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Reapers are a VERY good unit, but I don't think I could say they are the best in the game, at least in a Nighthaunt army. If that were the case, NH would be tearing up tournaments, having the best unit in the game as a battleline, rather than placing more consistently mid tier.

They are MUCH stronger in a Legions army though where they benefit from gravesite and DI healing, and whole units can be brought back with Endless Legions, while still retaining access to their other buffs like the GoS (since he is Legions too).

they are the best as well in nighthaunt, but because LON is more powerful than nighthaunts, the tournaments are full of LON armies with very few nighthaunt one

On 10/1/2018 at 7:51 PM, Neck-Romantic said:

Wish the Anniversary GoS wasnt 40 on ebay : D

Where abouts in the world are you? My "local" GW is having it's birthday this weekend (Reading), if you cover postage I'd gladly sell it at retail price.

There is also a group on dakkadakka that does this sort of thing, buying exclusives and selling them at retail price plus postage.

Also thanks for walking me through the briar queen, it's a shame as she is a lovely model. I may give her a go while I get the other stuff for my list, I've no immediate plans for tournaments or competitive play.

• Like 1