AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

@dmorley21 looking over that frost birds warscroll, it's pretty gross (like a fair bit of older warscrolls) but it degrades quite quickly. Personally I would make your grims 30 and set them to murder it. Failing that, using Reik to take some mortals off it will help, if you can squeeze in a lord ex and give it doppelganger cloak, as it won't be able to target the Lord ex unless the Lord ex attacks first, so it can lose a round of combat attacks. It's a super handy deterant. 

5 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

Myrmourns need a lot of babysitting and buffing to be effective, which is super annoying. 

What point size is the game? 

5 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

@dmorley21 looking over that frost birds warscroll, it's pretty gross (like a fair bit of older warscrolls) but it degrades quite quickly. Personally I would make your grims 30 and set them to murder it. Failing that, using Reik to take some mortals off it will help, if you can squeeze in a lord ex and give it doppelganger cloak, as it won't be able to target the Lord ex unless the Lord ex attacks first, so it can lose a round of combat attacks. It's a super handy deterant. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

We're playing 1000 pts and for now I'm just going to use models that I have. 

I got the Myrmourn and Harridans because I was planning to build a Shrieker Host at 2k but I'm having 2nd thoughts about it. 

I'll plan to deepstrike something (probably Harridans and Banshees) into the Phoenix to lower its wounds and make it not as dangerous. Thanks for the tip!

2 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

Man I want to try out the Harridans, but they don't really fit into the look of my army (sadly), and I don't know if 10 is too small a unit?

10 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

I'm not a fan of them aesthetically either; feels like they missed a trick with massed banshee infantry

To each their own I suppose - I got them because I specifically enjoyed their fluff and aesthetic (though honestly there should be male and female ones as I'm sure there's male healers in the mortal realms and I don't care for the flowers in the hair).

Unfortunately, in a couple of test games against myself I'm finding even a unit of 10 at 500 pts to not really end up doing enough damage. They have a ton of attacks but are built in a way where it's hard to get everyone into the fight with the 1 inch range and I've found that even though they have a ton of attacks hitting on a 4+ without re-rolls isn't quite cutting it.

So, I'm no longer sold on them. The battalion ability is great, but it's great against horde units which Grimghasts already mow down with ease.  I'll see how they do for me in a couple 1000 pt games and then decide whether I want to keep going that route or not.

I actually dig the flowers. Made me want to do a  Día de muertos/Day of the dead themed army when I saw them xD

Instead I have an army of ghostly knights, protecting the coach with their slain vampire count in until he arises to lead them oncemore.

Anyways, I was a bit afraid that maybe they wouldn't be killy enough. 

Man do I want a good reroll to hit buff for the Nighthaunt.

Edited by Mikeymajq

1 hour ago, Mikeymajq said:

I actually dig the flowers. Made me want to do a  Día de muertos/Day of the dead themed army when I saw them xD

Instead I have an army of ghostly knights, protecting the coach with their slain vampire count in until he arises to lead them oncemore.

Anyways, I was a bit afraid that maybe they wouldn't be killy enough. 

Man do I want a good reroll to hit buff for the Nighthaunt.

Switch to Bladegeists... see the light... abandon your Dreadscythe ways.  Spirit Tormet gives you full re-rolls on a 3+ to hit unit.

Repent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Nevar said:

Switch to Bladegeists... see the light... abandon your Dreadscythe ways.  Spirit Tormet gives you full re-rolls on a 3+ to hit unit.

Repent.

I don't like the fluff of the Torment and also think it's a pretty bad synergy both fluff and actual gameplay wise.

Fluffwise the synergy should be with Chainrasps. 

In gameplay, the Torment moves 6" which negates the speed of the Bladegheists and their ability to charge a unit, retreat through it, and charge something behind it while still getting re-rolls.

They really ought to have something that gives them re-rolls on a charge while the Torment ought to make hordes of Chainrasps an actual threat. 

But to your original point, they probably are better than Harridans. 

4 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

I don't like the fluff of the Torment and also think it's a pretty bad synergy both fluff and actual gameplay wise.

Fluffwise the synergy should be with Chainrasps. 

In gameplay, the Torment moves 6" which negates the speed of the Bladegheists and their ability to charge a unit, retreat through it, and charge something behind it while still getting re-rolls.

They really ought to have something that gives them re-rolls on a charge while the Torment ought to make hordes of Chainrasps an actual threat. 

But to your original point, they probably are better than Harridans. 

You can also deep-strike the Spirit Torment in the region you need him in.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 7:51 AM, N.I.B. said:

Are unique anniversary data sheets allowed in tournaments? 

On 10/4/2018 at 8:34 AM, Tropical Ghost General said:

I can't imagine why not, if you have the bit of paper from the box, it has matched play rules afterall. 

Well it does not have a points value as far as I know.

The GHB and Battletome points are quite specifically for a GoS w/ NL.

That might create problems bringing the MG variant to an event, and why its not listed in the app.

Really like the performance of the e KoSoeS in general and especially his Lord of Gheist Command Ability (I usually find myself hoard CMD Points). I think about getting a second one to field two of them. That way I can spread the CMD ability across the battlefield to keep me as flexible as possible.

In most lists I´ve looked at I haven´t seen two KoSoeS and just want to make sure I play correct: As he´s not a named character it´s ok to have two in the same army? Any reason that speaks against two of them?

Thanks

4 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Well it does not have a points value as far as I know.

The GHB and Battletome points are quite specifically for a GoS w/ NL.

That might create problems bringing the MG variant to an event, and why its not listed in the app.

He has a points value! ;) when you bought him there's a matched play profile on the paper of his rules!

Assuming you have other heroes to make use of artifacts/traits, I have a hard time justifying using KoSoeS instead of a Vampire lord ally.

They cost 140 each, and vampire lord pros/cons next to the KoSoeS:

+ automatically heal/ressurrects 1d3 wounds worth on up to 3(!) summonable units within 12" 

+ Is a wizard by default

+ Can heal 1d6 wounds once per game

+heals 1 wound from slaying any model

- with wings has a few " less movement

- no ethereal save (could be a + if in cover though)

- 1 less wound

- no mount attacks if having wings

- If in a NH army no allegiance abilities such as super charge or 6+ wound ignore.

The weapon is almost the same with the vampire having 1d3 damage instead of a flat 2, which i wont count as a pro or con really, but some might have a preference.

Obviously healing up to 3 units and being a wizard for the same price tag is huge. The Knight will have the allegiance abilities and access to artifacts/command trait, but as mentioned this can be put to good use on by a spirit torment instead for example. I just feel like the knight is heavily outmatched on points here, and in a NH allegiance army, I don't really see other/better units to spend ally allowed points on.

Am I missing something important here?

35 minutes ago, Ashes said:

Thanks, good analysis. Good I just bought and painted a Vampire Lord.

I forgot to mention that their command ability is just about the same as well, giving +1 attack to melee weapons for a death unit within 15", While it is wholly within 18" for the kngiht, so it is easier for the vampire to land on bigger units. 

There might be a case for having both overlap command abilities though, probably already mentioned by someone in this thread somewhere, but that might make one of both worth it for some strategies. 

9 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

There might be a case for having both overlap command abilities though, probably already mentioned by someone in this thread somewhere, but that might make one of both worth it for some strategies. 

Just to be 100% sure as my gaming buddy will definitely challenge this: Those abilities do stack, right?

3 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

I forgot to mention that their command ability is just about the same as well, giving +1 attack to melee weapons for a death unit within 15", While it is wholly within 18" for the kngiht, so it is easier for the vampire to land on bigger units. 

Isn't the vamp's one for a whole round, while the KoS's one is only for the current turn?

I always play Two vampire. Is better that all Hero in the NH battletome. He is a wizard, heal d3 on 3 unit automatically. He haven't second save 6+, but NH hero have this save only if unit is wholly 12". When you pile-in you could lose that save.

My new list that try is:

T banshee 80 midnight tome

2x20 Dreadscythe 640

2x12 myrmourn 420

Shrieker host 140

3x10 chainrasp 240

2 vampire 280

1 guardian of soul 140 beacon of nagashizzar

Suffocating gravetide 30

Soulsnare shackless 20

4 drop. 1 extra pc.

Do you Think?

Edited by Espy85

3 hours ago, Mutter said:

Isn't the vamp's one for a whole round, while the KoS's one is only for the current turn?

Good catch, that is true which is also in favor of the vampire.

I think the chalice 1d6 heal once per game and 1 wound on kill makes up for the otherwise improved survivability of the knight otherwise and general lack of all allegiance abilities, healing 3 units 1d3 is just so strong and being a wizard as well.

Concerning Hexwraiths spectral hunters ability and spectral summons command ability shenanigans....

Example: If i were to use the spectral summons on a unit of Hexs and "move" them across multiple enemies across the board, would I then roll for spectral hunters as it states this is their "move" and spectral summons states whatever units this unit "passed" across?

Does this seem legit?

RAW and all that jazz. ?

Screenshot_20181009-143312_WH AoS.jpg

Screenshot_20181009-143415_WH AoS.jpg

Edited by Vasshpit

2 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Hexwraiths spectral hunters ability and spectral summons command ability shenanigans....

Personally I read that as they dematerialise, ****** off to spook space, then re-materialise in the new location. Would be a nice trick if you could drag them across the whole table dishing out wounds but I think it's pushing it.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Personally I read that as they dematerialise, ****** off to spook space, then re-materialise in the new location. Would be a nice trick if you could drag them across the whole table dishing out wounds but I think it's pushing it.

Not exactly dishing them out though as you still need the 5+.

I don't see this as any more nasty then dropping two stormcast ballistas in your face though either. 

Edited by Vasshpit