AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Hey team, another fresh face here! 

I've recently boarded the spooky train (coach) and have signed up for a 1250 point tournament next week (despite having never actually played a game), I had a few questions regarding tactics. 

My list for interest: 

Heroes
Knight of Shrouds on Steed
Guardian of Souls
Executioner
Spirit Torment

Battleline
Chain Rasp x20
Chain Rasp x20
Grimghast Reapers x20

Other
Myrnmourn Banshees x4
Glaivewraith Stalkers x4

Battalion
Chainguard

Total 1200

My questions with regards to tactics are as follows: Is it possible for me to position my Guardian of souls inside a unit of Chainrasp so long as they all retain their one inch coherency? (Imagine having the chainrasps positioned as a donut) - I imagine this would help with protecting him from enemy Melee attacks while getting the Look Out Sir bonus against melee. Perhaps if I had the Guardian in one donut and the Spirit Torment in another then they could keep their support auras up without dying, plus the ability to fly allows them to GTFO if things start getting dicey. 

Second question is with regards to Relics and Artefacts, is taking the midnight tome on my Knight of Shrouds a good way to go and how many relics/artefacts can I take at a 1250 point limit game? 

Third question, I have two Guardians of souls after acquiring two Soul Wars boxes, am I able to run two in the same army? I'm not sure how this works with non-named heroes and whether or not there can be duplicates. 

Any help would be appreciated, cheers!

Yes you can "bubble wrap" your heroes and it is an effective tactic, more so with fly!

Yes the mKoS is a great choice for the Midnight Tome (as is the Torment if your Knight starts getting targeted a lot in games)

Remember as you have a battalion you do get a second relic; Pendant of the Fell Wind is a very solid choice, or the Slitter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

My friend is thinking about starting a nighthaunt army, and likes hexwraiths, are they any good?

I use 20 at 1,000 points.

Generally people think they are not worth their points.  I disagree but I am one of the odd ball opinions.

• Like 1

When I've taken them they have performed well, but like Spirit Hosts they suffer from the way our healing/ressurection works differently from LoN.

Torments will bring none back on rolls of 1 or 2, and rolls of 5+ are a waste, while Guardians bring back none on a 1, still only 1 model on a roll of 3, and only 2 models on a roll of 5.

Just seems strange

11 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

My friend is thinking about starting a nighthaunt army, and likes hexwraiths, are they any good?

I know some people have had luck with them as a core part of the army, but on paper they seem better at being used as a flanking force due to their speed and wound count. They're capable of grabbing objectives and hunting down lone, small heroes.

Here's a different question, or rather, scenario for you all:

Two of my buddies and I are getting together next weekend to play our first game/s of AoS. While I sold my old WHFB army to start Nighthaunt, they'll be making a force out of their former armies (Vampire Counts and High Elves). So a couple questions with this.

What do you think is a good battleplan to start off using?

My one buddy will likely be putting one of his Frostheart Phoenixes in his list. What's a good way to deal with that?

My force will consist of models that I currently have, which include:

Reikenor + Cogs

Guardian of Souls

10 Chainrasp

20 Grimghast Reapers

10 Dreadscythe Harridans

8 Myrmourn Banshees

I'm planning to only bring 4 Myrmourn banshees to make the points work, but I can always change my mind if they're the best bet against the phoenix.

7 minutes ago, HiveFleetCerberus said:

he

It's been announced by the designer that it's a she. Not clear if it has special rules yet. The official Italian sigmar fb page replied to a comment asking if it had special rules and they said it didn't, but it doesn't make sense to release a special model without rules. 

Will be a tiny bit annoying if the Spess Mehreens get a handy character model and we get... one of ten Bladegheists. Still getting it because she's an incredible model I have to own, but... that's a wee tad aggravating.

Edited by Kirjava13
"Spess", not "Sess"
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

I'm planning to only bring 4 Myrmourn banshees to make the points work, but I can always change my mind if they're the best bet against the phoenix.

Myrmourns need a lot of babysitting and buffing to be effective, which is super annoying. 

What point size is the game?