Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RuneBrush

AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

Recommended Posts

To be honest, 2 starter boxes are only worth it if you want duplicate heroes and +20 chainrasps. To me, the grimghast reapers that come with the box, just don't exist. 

Also, i would find it very weird if the grimghast reaper box isn't a multiunit box, since bladegheists atleast are practically the same. We will have to wait for the the scythes to see if they can also built from that kit, or if they will be a different multikit from where you can also build myrnmourn banshees tho.

Edited by Keldaur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

I believe that the Chainrasp are all on their own sprue in the starter so my reasoning leads to doubtful. 

I'm pretty sure even the Grimghast Reapers just previewed are the same sculpts from the starter. 

I'd be surprised if they don't get a regular box set in addition to the push-fits in the starter set.  Theory behind this is that this is the Nighthaunt main battleline horde unit (sitting in the same position as Bloodreavers from the last one).

Reapers are completely different models too.  They're going to be similar don't get me wrong, but they're not the same.

grimghast_reapers_1.jpgGWPreview-June24-Reapers6c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chainrasps are probably this starter set's Poxwalkers from Dark Imperium. A horde unit that you want a lot of but can only get by buying more starter sets. Presumably it's their way of capitalising on the Ebay market in their own way - people who buy in tons of boxes to sell the individual units.

Like the Poxwalkers I think we'll get an Easy to Build set down the line with unique sculpts, but only five or so in a box.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

 

Like the Poxwalkers I think we'll get an Easy to Build set down the line with unique sculpts, but only five or so in a box.

And not to mention all the Easy Build boxes that came out of the original AoS set. Heck they even permeated into the Start Collecting boxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

And not to mention all the Easy Build boxes that came out of the original AoS set. Heck they even permeated into the Start Collecting boxes.

Haven’t we got the same number already?  2 SC and 2 NH.  I was expecting they would turn up in a Storm of Sigmar / First Strike set in a month or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MightyMetro said:

Haven’t we got the same number already?  2 SC and 2 NH.  I was expecting they would turn up in a Storm of Sigmar / First Strike set in a month or two.

Ah yes they are the same number. I think I was counting the smaller starter sets as well. And technically the Khorgorath that doesn't even have its own box yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think I'm allowed to quote it, but the final named character is now in the rumour thread if people want to see it.  I'd pick him over MoG on looks alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notice Olynder's frightful touch rule. The 6 is the unmodified roll, which is a slight buff to the entire faction if I'm not mistaken (the Spirit Torment allows us to re-roll 1s but we don't have a support hero that gives attack rolls +1, correct?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Craven King will be a pain in the ass for some armies, if you get that 5+ roll :D Especially if you happen to get it 2 or 3 times in a game! Nothing I really dislike about the Craven King.
Lady Olynder is probably amazing, but I was expecting more. I was actually expecting more of a heal and pure support/Spell caster from her. 
Grief Stricken, though, seems like an amazing support spell, so I am not saying the character is bad. I was just expecting something else, for some reason.
I love the model of Reikenor, and I also love some of it's abilities. But I can't shake the feeling that Reikenor is more situational than the rest of the characters revealed.. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Craven King will be a pain in the ass for some armies, if you get that 5+ roll :D Especially if you happen to get it 2 or 3 times in a game! Nothing I really dislike about the Craven King.
Lady Olynder is probably amazing, but I was expecting more. I was actually expecting more of a heal and pure support/Spell caster from her. 
Grief Stricken, though, seems like an amazing support spell, so I am not saying the character is bad. I was just expecting something else, for some reason.
I love the model of Reikenor, and I also love some of it's abilities. But I can't shake the feeling that Reikenor is more situational than the rest of the characters revealed.. 

Agreed, to me Olynder looks the best - she has a number of ways of pumping out MW and debuffing enemies and raising up units. Seems like a solid Lynchpin but probably easy to kill with only 7Ws and a 4+. Very excited to get her first though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Olynder is a MW machine gun! I like all of the named characters just reviewed. Although The craven king is amazing I probably won't use him. Im leaning more toward the Mortarch of Grief. She's good in CC gets a one off heal has a good spell and gets 2 unbind 

I am also tempted to use reikenor, he's a good horde killer and can be a great one off caster if he inflicts a wound on himself 

*I'm starting to see the spirit torment being a key unit in the NH roster. He can heal any of the characters up d3 so with reikenor he can get his +3 to cast each turn and not worry about gibbing himself and Oylander can also get healed up reliably aswell.

And it looks like all the frightful touches will be on a unmodified 6 to hit so the knight of shrouds May not he needed anymore 

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I woudl love to see point costs for these guys, and see if you can run 1, 2 or 3 of them in a competitive army! :D Cause Olynder and either of the other characters together can be a really good combination!

Yeah, what tickles me about Reikenor is the horde killing capabilites, which from what I've seen so far Nighthaunts are lacking (please correct me if I'm wrong.. pretty new to the game and not familiar with all the synergies)

and yes, considering what was just revealed I am seeing a big reason to take a Spirit Torment :D

I am just liking Nighthaunt more and more! So glad I decided to disband my other armies and focus on this! (This might all change when the Battletome drops, cause I have no idea what it says in there, but the models are just so amazing in this army!)

Edited by Nuradin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love everything about Kurdoss.  There's something uniquely appealing about a melee beatstick on a floating throne.  Everything about him is on point from a flavor perspective.  It's questionable whether he worth his points though.  Definitely worth play testing but not sure there will be room for him when MoG is so spectacular.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, The Cyclop Owl said:

Notice Olynder's frightful touch rule. The 6 is the unmodified roll, which is a slight buff to the entire faction if I'm not mistaken (the Spirit Torment allows us to re-roll 1s but we don't have a support hero that gives attack rolls +1, correct?)

I believe that AoS 2.0 is moving away from 6+ rules and instead is going for Natural 6 rolls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Richelieu said:

I love everything about Kurdoss.  There's something uniquely appealing about a melee beatstick on a floating throne.  Everything about him is on point from a flavor perspective.  It's questionable whether he worth his points though.  Definitely worth play testing but not sure there will be room for him when MoG is so spectacular.  

Definately picking them all up either way :D  You can always have one fun army and one competitive! I just love that you have the ability to steal command points at a 33% success rate.. if that's not a middle finger in someone's face I dont know what is :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would most likely build a customized Kurdoss out of the Hobbit ringwraith model with the mace and some mortis engine banshees if I build him as I really dislike his model - but his stats are quite nice.

Rereading the entries; all 3 are quite nice actually, iir the mounted wraith is cheaper than the other two

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kenshin620 said:

I believe that AoS 2.0 is moving away from 6+ rules and instead is going for Natural 6 rolls.

Can we see simliar changes for other factions? For example stormcasts with their hammers? And Tzeentch with their Skyfires? Where modified hits makes them to insane damage on 5+ instead of a 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I love the Mortarch of Grief. 10/10 will bring her often.

Craven King... I actually love his rules and his model... but it confused me a lot.  I had imagined him having the sort of stats/abilities that the Grimhailer had.  Sort of a mix between warrior and wizard.  Not upset of disappointed, just seems at odds with his model.  The heralds and stuff seem like the perfect source of army buffs and stuff, but instead they are purely 'fluff' pieces.  Again, not bad... just... off.

Grimhailer... wow I love the rider a lot.  Think his horse is cool.  Hate the horse's wings, he's a ghost man, his horse can fly without wings that I have to try to transport without breaking him.  I love his rules, all of them, but like the Craven King I am just put on heels by that model being the melee/wizard.  He looks like he should be the beat stick hero.  Makes sense that he is not, love his rules, glad they are how they are my expectations were just subverted pretty hard.  I will likely remove his wings and make him just on a spectral steed, but all three of these heroes will be in my collection 100%.

 

Awesome new models and rules, can't wait for them to release so I can buy them already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Can we see simliar changes for other factions? For example stormcasts with their hammers? And Tzeentch with their Skyfires? Where modified hits makes them to insane damage on 5+ instead of a 6.

Stormcasts are getting a new battle tome as well.

I imagine this will be changed in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nevar said:

Stormcasts are getting a new battle tome as well.

I imagine this will be changed in it.

Will be really interesting to see the new Nighthaunt tome then! And see if this change (it should) is applied to all units. Cause that would sort of remove a lot (read: all) of the synergy with +to hit models and say Spirit Hosts and that would bring down the fun level of this faction!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Yeah, what tickles me about Reikenor is the horde killing capabilites, which from what I've seen so far Nighthaunts are lacking (please correct me if I'm wrong.. pretty new to the game and not familiar with all the synergies)

The grimghast reapers have the same ability. We'll see which option is cheaper and synergises best with the optimal lists. Reapers are summonable battleline, while Reikenor's a mobile wizard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Cyclop Owl said:

The grimghast reapers have the same ability. We'll see which option is cheaper and synergises best with the optimal lists. Reapers are summonable battleline, while Reikenor's a mobile wizard.

Hmm, need to write down some thoughts about that just to get my head around it.

You can only have one Death Knell per unit and it only does 1 attack with 2 damage. So you can max kill 2 units and thus dealing 2 mortal wounds. And that is if it hits, wounds and save fails.  Reaped Like Corn will help in this regard.

Reikenor has a good chance to cast his spell, especially with Corpse Candles. (50% chance minimum, not counting chance to be dispelled)
Wraithstorm then does an average 4 mortal wounds on 1 wound enemies (Math correct on that?). 
And that is not counting Frightful Touch and Reaped like corn... hmm

You are indeed correct that it will be a tough choice whether to go summonable or mobile wizard..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...