AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

33 minutes ago, Congratz said:

Have you guys had any success in 1k and 1,5k games? if so can i see your lists :D

I have yet to lose a game with them, but sadly since my nighthaunt haven't arrived yet (probably today!) i have been playing soul wars + models lent by a friend, or proxys. Good thing is that it has allowed me to get a hang of the nighthaunt special rules before i decided what to buy :p. If you are curious:

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Artefact: Midnight Tome 
Spirit Torment (120)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist
Lord Executioner (80)

Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)

Units
4 x Glaivewraith Stalkers (60)

Endless Spells
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 63

Initially went for midnight tome, then switched to lens of refraction, then switched back to midnight tome. Knight of shrouds as a wizard is an excelent objective grabber in some missions. You can replace him with Reikenor if you wish (and remove geminids), and that would allow you to get lens of refraction instead of the tome. You lose the command ability, but to be completely honest, with this list i had been using it 80% of the time for guaranteed 6"run rolls because i am very liberal about retreating from combat to reform the chainrasp horde to screen and guarantee objectives. Chainrasps have very good damage when properly buffed and are very durable. Spirit hosts do what spirit hosts do, whiff their MWs in the charge, but the enemy gets in combat with them forever, and eventually you get that roll that destroys the enemy unit while you are reviving 1d3 in your hero phase plus healing 1d3 wounds per bravery phase with the spirit torment (i never get the guardian of souls spell off...)

Nighthaunt heroes are specially good in combat thanks to the new pile in rules + flying, it allows you to stop the enemy from getting the most damage he can unto them, and they are very durable (outside of mortal wounds obviously). But as i said, i retreat a freaking lot to negate damage in opponent's turn, not sure if it has been a case of the list or outplaying my opponents. The list i am going to try now since in August we have a 1250 event is this:

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Lord Executioner (80)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind 
Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Lifestealer
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Artefact: Lens of Refraction 
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist

Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

Battalions
Execution Horde (100)

Endless Spells
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1250 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 71

This one is for the lols mostly. I have no hope in dealing with hordes in objective missions where you have to contest them in no man's territory. The other option is to change some spirit hosts, lord executioner and battallion for a 360 grimghast reaper unit (which would be more optimal to have ways to deal with hordes), but i want to bring it all painted ?

Some may wonder why execution horde when it's a terrible battallion. It certainly is, but since the list is built that way, i see it as 100 points for pendant of fell wind + 1 CP, plus a little more durable lord executioner.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Congratz said:

Have you guys had any success in 1k and 1,5k games? if so can i see your lists :D

Had great success playing against DoK in a 1k battle (with proxies) with this list: 

- Guardian of Souls (general). +1 to casting rolls artefact.

- Lady Olynder

- Spirit Torment

- 1x 3 Spirit Hosts

- 1x 10 Grimghast Reapers

- 1x 10 Bladedude Revenants

- Geminids of Uhl-Gysh

We played the scenario where an objective appears on the center line on turn 2 and an additional objective appears in each player’s zone on turn 3, and the objectives are worth more points the later in the game you are.

I basically deployed my three heroes and my Bladedudes as a Death Star, and kept them hidden / uncommitted to avoid spell sniping by my opppnent. Got the Geminids down which did crazy damage (hit four units with the two balls, so 8D3 MW). I let my opponent commit and capture all three objectives, then immediately grabbed the two side objectives from him (deep striking my Grimghasts, chomping through units with my buffed Bladedudes, and holding up mobile units with my Hosts). I then converged to his center with everything. My opponent quit before getting tabled. I only lost one hero (Spirit Torment).

The spells I used were the two healing ones (the one that heals D3 and the one that siphons D3). My GoS had the trait where you bring back D3 models. 

One of our biggest strengths is mobility, and it’s not an intuitive advantage — but our combination of reliable deep striking, flying, moving 6 and 8, and teleporting (through our Command ability) makes us crazy mobile and flexible. I was able to keep my units away from his hard hitters, was able to debuff and focus on specific units... it was a joy to play. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have 30 spare point on my list, which Endless Spell would be better? Soulsnare Shackles or Quicksilver Swords?

This is the list:

Leaders
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140) - (General, Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts , Artefact: Midnight Tome,  Lore of the Underworlds: Spectral Theter)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)- (Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Beacon of NagashizzarLore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)- (Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist)
Spirit Torment (120)

Battleline
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

Units
20 x Bladegheist Revenants (320)
20 x Bladegheist Revenants (320)

Battalions
Shroudguard (110)

Endless Spells
Soulsnare Shackles or Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1990 / 2000     Extra Command Points: 1     Wounds: 129

Would you change Bladegheist to 15 and 15  to get a Dreadblade Harrow?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I can't see the point in the benefit given by the Nighthaunt Procession megabattalion. 

Isn't it identical to the benefit we already receive from Deathless Spirits? Or am I missing something obvious?

30 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I can't see the point in the benefit given by the Nighthaunt Procession megabattalion. 

Isn't it identical to the benefit we already receive from Deathless Spirits? Or am I missing something obvious?

It isn't totally within.

1 hour ago, Spooked said:

It isn't totally within.

Thanks for the reply!

Due to how Bound Beneath Indomitable Will is worded though, I'm not sure how big a benefit it is? Since it works on a per-model basis rather than a per-unit basis like Deathless Spirits. 

With Deathless Spirits, when a model from a unit wholly within 12" is allocated a wound, you get to try to save it.

With BBIW, the model itself needs to be within 12" to get the extra save, so practically speaking it still needs to be close to a Hero.

Maybe that is a bigger deal than I rate it, but it seems pretty insignificant considering the requirements to get it.

On 7/21/2018 at 7:21 PM, Garxia said:

I have 30 spare point on my list, which Endless Spell would be better? Soulsnare Shackles or Quicksilver Swords?

Shackles. No contest.

About the harrows, i would say no. You are already pretty strechted thin on wounds and you are using a battallion to improve them.

What i am missing are ways to improve your spirit torment buff coverage for those bladegheists.

8 minutes ago, lord_blackfang said:

Coach and push-fit Chainrasps will be on preorder on Saturday :)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/07/22/coming-next-week/

Finally! I really hope this means next week they put Bladegheists up too.  Seems ridiculous to keep them for another week as the last unit. Depending on price I will be ordering up to two Black Coachs though.

4 hours ago, SleeperAgent said:

Finally! I really hope this means next week they put Bladegheists up too.  Seems ridiculous to keep them for another week as the last unit. Depending on price I will be ordering up to two Black Coachs though.

The dreadscythe harridans haven't been released yet either so I'm guessing those will be with the bladegheists. I'm hoping those go up for preorder the week after the coach. Was really hoping to get the bladegheists into my 1.5k escalation league list for August.

6 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

Is anyone else converting spare Spirit of Torments from the box set to Chainghasts?  I am, it will save me buying a whole Chainghast  box and keep down what would have been a stupid oversupply of a Hero option.

With the spare heads from the chainghast box and a few spare maces this is definitely something I’m doing.

15 hours ago, SleeperAgent said:

It's not only the bladegheist which isn't out yet dreadscytch Harridans and a alternative lord executioner are missing after the blackcoach 

What do you guys think about taking an extra GoSouls, and 1 or 2 instances of soulsnare shackles to block charge routes, deepstrikers, and use as unbind-bait?

You could claim an objective, move off and surround it with chain bases, forcing them to leave it to you spend their time dispelling it *after* their movement phase..

Once it's served it's purpose you can even unbind it yourself with your Myrmourns for the +1 attack, and you have the extra GoS to heal them... and the shackles ready to reposition!

As I understand it, unbinding an endless spell takes away one of your own spellcasts for a turn, so in the early game, since all your wizards know every endless spell you take...you could conceivably spam shackles and be win-win. Either you get the spell off and saturate a strategic area with bullcrap, or you bait one of their unbinds AND one of their own spells.

Follow up; can you take multiples of a specific endless spell?

Edited by Neck-Romantic

23 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

What do you guys think about taking an extra GoSouls, and 1 or 2 instances of soulsnare shackles to block charge routes, deepstrikers, and use as unbind-bait?

You could claim an objective, move off and surround it with chain bases, forcing them to leave it to you spend their time dispelling it *after* their movement phase..

Once it's served it's purpose you can even unbind it yourself with your Myrmourns for the +1 attack, and you have the extra GoS to heal them... and the shackles ready to reposition!

As I understand it, unbinding an endless spell takes away one of your own spellcasts for a turn, so in the early game, since all your wizards know every endless spell you take...you could conceivably spam shackles and be win-win. Either you get the spell off and saturate a strategic area with bullcrap, or you bait one of their unbinds AND one of their own spells.

Follow up; can you take multiples of a specific endless spell?

You can only ever have one of each endless spell model on the table from your army.

You can however, constantly cast and dispel the same Endless Spell over and over.  The best way to think of it, is you are summoning a named character to the table.  There can only be one 'Purple Sun' on the table belonging to your army.  If he is 'killed' with a dispel, you can resummon him for free.

1 hour ago, Nevar said:

You can only ever have one of each endless spell model on the table from your army.

You can however, constantly cast and dispel the same Endless Spell over and over.  The best way to think of it, is you are summoning a named character to the table.  There can only be one 'Purple Sun' on the table belonging to your army.  If he is 'killed' with a dispel, you can resummon him for free.

They are not listed as unique, so as long as you pay for multiple, you could have multiple. The example in MS even talks about going to summon a 3rd Balewind Vortex when you only own 2.

Edited by AverageBoss