AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

1 minute ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Hi guys, I have a question that might be somewhat stupid:

do we know how the mournghoul functions in this army now? Are there points for him, etc? 

Forgeworld has all the updated stats for their things on their website.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar?N=2903449697+1114623960&amp;Nr=AND(sku.siteId%3AGB_fw%2Cproduct.locale%3Aen_GB_fw)&amp;Nrs=collection()%2Frecord[product.startDate+<%3D+1531493640000+and+product.endDate+>%3D+1531493640000]

The Mornghoul is "ok", not the rage inducing monster he was. But I'm pretty sure if you want to use a behemoth now in NH, the Black Coach is the better and cheaper option.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

Is there a way to buy the anniversary Guardian of Souls for people who didn't have the option to get one? The Mortality Glass is very strong. Or can we just declare a regular GoS has that instead of its normal one?

You could convert one, who is going to say no to that? I find it odd that he isnt included in the battletome though... feels like a cheap move from GW.

• Like 1

I just wonder, when reading Reikenor's corpse candle ability, it says that it can deal 1 mortal wound against an enemy model (instead of unit), so can it be used to do 1 mortal wound against icon or banner bearers model to snipe it out of a unit? or can the enemy still allocate to another model in the unit? would be very strong if the first case

41 minutes ago, tea_wild_owl said:

I just wonder, when reading Reikenor's corpse candle ability, it says that it can deal 1 mortal wound against an enemy model (instead of unit), so can it be used to do 1 mortal wound against icon or banner bearers model to snipe it out of a unit? or can the enemy still allocate to another model in the unit? would be very strong if the first case

It says to pick a specific model, you you can in fact snipe whatever you want. (assuming it has 1 wound)

Edited by SleeperAgent

30 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Anyone got any advice for taking on Treemen? Or heavily armoured units in general? We can put out a lot of dice but against the high armour of a Treeman I was a bit stumped (ha!) last time I came up against one.

best are mortals wounds, from spirit hosts or hexwraiths. alternatively, surround it with a 20-40 model chainrasp horde to just stall him with an endless mob.

25 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Between ethereal, shademist, arcane shield and MoG's debuff I think you can get a blob of Hosts to survive and chew through about anything

Survive yes. Chew through things, no. The damage output of spirit hosts is absolutely abysmal.

18 minutes ago, ianob said:

Survive yes. Chew through things, no. The damage output of spirit hosts is absolutely abysmal.

To be fair, keeping a Treelord in a tar pit for the whole game might be as good as having killed it in many situations.

13 minutes ago, Nevar said:

To be fair, keeping a Treelord in a tar pit for the whole game might be as good as having killed it in many situations.

How about the range attack of the chainghast d3 attacks 15" 4+reroll 1s 3+ - 2 1 with a blob of chainrasp around the treelord

4 minutes ago, Ahn-ket said:

How about the range attack of the chainghast d3 attacks 15" 4+reroll 1s 3+ - 2 1 with a blob of chainrasp around the treelord

I mean... sure but how long do you have to try and kill him?  And he can have a 4+ save against those shots after the -2 rend.  How many Chainghasts are you going to bring? Mortal Wounds are still the best bet against him.

Played a fun game of 1000 point matched play against my buddies Maggotkin of Nurgle. We played the mission out of page 58 of the generals handbook, I can't remember what it is called. Basically 6 objectives (scaled down to 4 for our game) with 2 in each of our territories and you can choose destroy the objectives at the end of each turn for a certain amount of points depending on how many turns you held them. 

This was only my 2nd game of Sigmar, but it was a blast. 

My List was basically the soul wars box plus 4 extra glavewraith stalkers, 6 spirit hosts, 4 Banshees and excluding the 4 grimghast reapers.

His List was a Great Unclean One with the bell, 10 chaos warriors of nurgle, the lord of decay on horse, 10 blightkings and 1 of those nurgle trees.

1st turn we both sat back seeing what the other would do and cast a few spells. he moved up tentatively with his blightkings near the tree so he could try getting off the run+charge if I moved up for next turn. At the end of his he destroyed one objective for one point so he did not have sit back on both of his in his territory.

2nd Turn he goes first and run charges into my 20 chainrasp with the blightkings and whiffs pretty hard killing only 7. I swing back and am able to kill about 1 or 2 back. In my turn I charge the blightkings with my Spirit Hosts putting all my buffing character sin range to help them out and they roll an 11 on the charge letting me attack right then and there. Between my out of sequence attacks and their normal attacks I'm able to kill off the blightkings to like 2 models. I fail my charge with my stalkers who drop down near his back objective. I drop the banshees down on my other objective that the spirit hosts had left to go fight. I destroy one of my objectives for two points as his force is pushing towards it. At the end of turn 2 we are sitting 2-1 me.

3rd Turn I am really hoping to double turn so I can mop up the blightkings and tie up his other stuff before they get to my other objective . Unfortunately he goes first again killing my chainrasps and 2 spirit hosts with a mix of mortal wound out put and lucky rolling. He then summons in 10 plague bearers near my banshees and the GOC is sitting mid board ready to support as well. Unfortunately this is where my luck runs out. The stalkers charge into his back line warriors and whiff hard then get annihilated by the warriors and lord of decay. I'm able to revive the dead spirit hosts, but it doesn't matter at this point as he will be able to destroy his objective next turn and will wreck my banshees as well stealing my objective. 

The next two turns go like that as I made mistakes early in the game not effectively buffing my banshees and stalkers to be more survivable and killy. I end up losing 6-2 as he destroys his objective and mine. However we played it out and my spirit hosts almost kill his GOC lol. 

All in all super fun game . Biggest takeaway was that the auras and keeping those characters in range to buff your guys will make or break the game for this force. Good to know for next time though as it was a super fun mission. I really enjoy how sigmar missions are really played around objective play more so then 40k. 

• Like 1

Nice write up @dillonjay21, I had... rather the opposite experience on Friday! I went up against Brayherd- he brought two Beastlords, two Greater Bray Shamans, two mobs of Bestigor, two chariots, a small unit of Ungor Raiders and a Jabberslythe. Ranged against that, I had my mounted Knight of Shrouds, a Guardian of Souls, a Lord Executioner, a Spirit Torment, 20 Chainrasps, 10 Reapers, 8 Stalkers 3 Spirit Hosts,, 4 Myrnmourn Banshees and 2 Chainghasts (the latter two being new additions since my last game). 

We played a randomly generated scenario from the GHB2018, deploying in opposite corners and essentially fighting over terrain pieces. I set up to try and be able to move out across the table and flexibly contest as much as possible, with my Reapers in the underworld. He deployed his Jabberslythe... then set everything else up in ambush! Hm... 

I finished deploying first and took second turn. His entire army sans Jabberslythe came onto the board in my flank and rear, but having to make 9" charges was his doom. Only one unit of Bestigor and a chariot were able to charge. The Bestigor did some damage to the Chainrasps and Guardian of Souls, but not enough to kill either. The chariot got into the Stalkers, who promptly turned around and hacked it to pieces before it could fight. Now wildly vulnerable to a counterattack, the Bestigor were hacked apart in my turn as I dogpiled them with everything in the area, regenerating Chainrasps the entire time. The Stalkers and Lord Executioner got hold of the other chariot and his Ungor Raiders, neither of which lasted very long. I was able to get a double turn, and the Reapers appeared from the underworld. They promptly pincered the second Bestigor herd with the Chainrasps and Spirit Hosts, and I rolled a 10 for their charge too! They absolutely murdered the hell out of everything goat-shaped in the way of their scythes, helped by the Knight of Shrouds' command ability. Speaking of him, he hacked down both Beastlords, the Sword of Stolen Hours very handily healing up most of the damage he had taken along the way. 

The Jabberslythe finally made it into the fight on turn 3, having spent the entire first two turns cheesing it across from its deployment zone to try and help, but by then there was nothing to help.  Every single Brayherd warrior was dead. Although its acid blood killed off most of the Reapers when they cut it to pieces, it found itself as dead as its allies. 

I'm not sure if I should take any lessons from this, as I honestly don't know whether my opponent let me win or not- his decision to isolate one of the most powerful elements of his army, the Jabberslythe, and then attack piecemeal, still confuses me. Did he not know what he was doing, or was he throwing me a bone (for context, he is not a new player and had watched me be decisively defeated the week before)? Anyway, I have realised the absolute necessity of protecting the Guardian of Souls, who was invaluable for his +1 to wound and regenerating spells. The Spirit Torment's ability to regenerate is good too, glad I remembered it. And Reapers, with all their buffs, are just mad. I have picked up two more boxes so I can take 30. 

Next battle in two weeks! A chance for revenge against the Sylvaneth beckons...

• Like 2